BUFFY & HOF Mod Releases

BUFFY v001 will have trouble with BUG in the CustomAssets folder, but not the other way around. BTW, BUG 4.2 is out, and I recommend upgrading.
OK, I've uninstalled BUG 4.1, and installed BUG 4.2 using the "Multiplayer" option, so that BUG 4.2 is in its own mod folder.

...Have you played enough unmodded BTS on that machine to validate that it works without crashing?
Not since I've upgraded to Windows 7. I'll give that a try.

Just so you know, it won't be fun. BUG & BUFFY make playing a BTS game a more interesting and enjoyable experience. You and the others who have worked on these mods have done an excellent & outstanding job. Thanks for your help with this problem!

I had BUFFY crash again, this time while playing BOTM24 :mad:

I've attached a zipped copy of the PythonDbg Log from this latest crash.

Since I had installed BUG 4.1 into Custom Assets and later uninstalled it, would it help if I reinstalled BUFFY-3.19.001?

Also, when I reinstalled the Civ4 programs after upgrading to Windows 7, they were installed in "C:/Program Files (x86)". Might this be a problem? Does BUFFY-3.19.001 look for and expect to find other program elements in "C:/Program Files"?

Since I had installed BUG 4.1 into Custom Assets and later uninstalled it, would it help if I reinstalled BUFFY-3.19.001?

Thanks for the logs. It can't hurt to do that, but mishmashed BUG and BUFFY files at worst would cause the no interface issue. Crashing is caused by the DLL or EXE. Do you remember what you did right before it crashed?

Also, when I reinstalled the Civ4 programs after upgrading to Windows 7, they were installed in "C:/Program Files (x86)". Might this be a problem? Does BUFFY-3.19.001 look for and expect to find other program elements in "C:/Program Files"?

No, BUFFY and BUG both go off of the path to the EXE given to them by the Python system. It's possible that BTS does something that 64-bit systems don't like--even in 32-bit compatibiilty mode, but I'm not familiar enough with it. However, I'd bet plenty of people have been using 64-bit XP and Vista for a while now, and this may simply be a Windows7 thing.

I had BUFFY crash again, this time while playing BOTM24 :mad:

I've attached a zipped copy of the PythonDbg Log from this latest crash.

Thanks for the logs. It can't hurt to do that, but mishmashed BUG and BUFFY files at worst would cause the no interface issue. Crashing is caused by the DLL or EXE. Do you remember what you did right before it crashed?

No, BUFFY and BUG both go off of the path to the EXE given to them by the Python system. It's possible that BTS does something that 64-bit systems don't like--even in 32-bit compatibiilty mode, but I'm not familiar enough with it. However, I'd bet plenty of people have been using 64-bit XP and Vista for a while now, and this may simply be a Windows7 thing.

The Vista fixes don't include the Compatability mode tip. That is a more recent 64-bit thing. Have you set the BTS shortcut/exe to use compatability mode?

Attachments

• compmode.jpg
    compmode.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 123
The Vista fixes don't include the Compatability mode tip. That is a more recent 64-bit thing. Have you set the BTS shortcut/exe to use compatability mode?
I don't believe I had it for the first crash, but I do have that set to "Windows XP (Service Pack 3)" now.

The first part of the Vista Fixes, where you select the "Firaxis Games" folder properties, and uncheck the Read only option - I've done that several times, but when I recheck it again later, the Read Only option is always checked again. Is that normal?

The first part of the Vista Fixes, where you select the "Firaxis Games" folder properties, and uncheck the Read only option - I've done that several times, but when I recheck it again later, the Read Only option is always checked again. Is that normal?
Yes, don't why but that's what everyone sees.

When you crash does windows do an error report?

Yes. See the attachment "BTS-BUFFY1 Crash.txt" in this post.
I upgraded to the latest video card driver when I installed Windows 7. No other mods loaded. I have BUG 4.1 in the Custom Assets folder. I didn't think that would conflict with BUFFY-3.19.001. Should BUG 4.1 be installed as a mod instead of being under custom assets?
The crash is pointing to an access violation by a NVidia DLL. When you say latest, could that be a beta version? Either way, you might want to try a different release to see if it is more stable.

The crash is pointing to an access violation by a NVidia DLL. When you say latest, could that be a beta version? Either way, you might want to try a different release to see if it is more stable.
OK, thanks!!!!

I had Driver version 186.81, which I installed on November 4th. It is a Vista 64-bit driver (they didn't have any Win 7 drivers listed at the time). I checked the nVidia site this morning, and there was a new driver, version 195.62, which it says is good for both Vista and Win 7. I've downloaded and installed it this morning; hopefully it will help.

Thanks for you help!

I just had a non-repeatable issue that led to my supposed time victory resulting in a domination win. I opened the victory conditions screen (F8), and clicked on the 'members' tab. Had a quick look, went back to playing the game. Little later, and I wanted to see where I was at in land %, so opened the screen again. The tabs from the bottom had all disappeared, as shown in the attached screenie.

I didn't stress too much, it was just a quick & cheesy late era game for rock of ages. I was planning to win via time, but if I got bored I may have decided on conquest/dom anyway. Kept playing, checked a couple more times for the same result. I was still seeing population warnings for the domination limit. I didn't see a single warning for being close to the land limit. It's possible that I shouldn't have seen one, as I accepted a capitulation from one AI, though I think it was 2 turns from capitulation to accidental dom win. Not sure.

I loaded 2 other save games, both by exiting to main menu before loading, and loading direct from bugged game, and had the same problem, hitting F8 brought up the members tab, with no way to change tabs. Exit to desktop, restart civ, and all was good again, including on the original save.

Turned out to only be a minor annoyance, even though it resulted in an accidental win. And only a minor issue if it happens again, as I just use that as an excuse for a break.

Attachments

• buffyvcissue.jpg
    buffyvcissue.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 78
the 'fix' is to uncheck the BUG / BUFFY Victory conditions Advisor / Screen. The reason the screen stayed broken was that it was trying to build the Voting tab (that tab is broken) and failing. Restarting Civ4 and loading your game would have reset it.

Restarting Civ4 and loading your game would have reset it.

me said:
Exit to desktop, restart civ, and all was good again, including on the original save.

;)

Definitely a big fan of the mod, despite the occasional minor issue. Get the feeling there's lots more of the mod to notice too. Having just discovered the joys of slavery, I particularly like the whip info on the city screen in terms of excess shields, etc. Next I'll sit down and see about hammering out some maths on the best time to whip for efficient overflow, etc.

Definitely a big fan of the mod, despite the occasional minor issue. Get the feeling there's lots more of the mod to notice too. Having just discovered the joys of slavery, I particularly like the whip info on the city screen in terms of excess shields, etc. Next I'll sit down and see about hammering out some maths on the best time to whip for efficient overflow, etc.
EFool and I went back and forth about when was the best time to whip (finish quickest for least population, maximize overflow, other?). If you can articulate when you think is best, then you might see it in a future release of BUG / BUFFY.

There are little tick marks on the production bar that show when the required population decreases. Note: There is a bug with those tick marks when no production is invested in the build.

Having just discovered the joys of slavery, I particularly like the whip info on the city screen in terms of excess shields, etc.

This is also shown when hovering over a city's bar. In fact, almost everything on the city screen is now in the city bar hover.

EFool and I went back and forth about when was the best time to whip (finish quickest for least population, maximize overflow, other?). If you can articulate when you think is best, then you might see it in a future release of BUG / BUFFY.

I think that's the sort of question that comes back as a big fat 'depends'. i.e. if my city is very high food, low shield, I'll whip as early as possible, as the pop returns very fast. If the city isnt that high on food, or has say 3 high food squares and then some mines, I'll wait until later, and I'll try to whip in order to drop to size 3 for quick growth, and avoid size 2 as growth will slow. If I'm doing something like a worker/settler-->worker/settler build, I'll whip on the very last turn for max overflow, and greatest percentage of the total build at the bigger size.

I meant crunching the numbers to work out exactly how the overflow shields change from turn to turn with the population loss being the same, what is required for a whip to give you cash if the economy is in trouble, etc.

There are little tick marks on the production bar that show when the required population decreases. Note: There is a bug with those tick marks when no production is invested in the build.

I hadn't noticed these, but will look for them. If you're putting little tick marks on the bars, I'd also suggest a little tick mark for what the new food threshhold will be. i.e. if my size 5 city has a food bar 2/3rds full, and I'm whipping off 2 citizens, I'll keep the same volume of food stored, but will I be almost at the threshold for growing to size 4, will I be a couple of turns away, will I be overflowing and thus wasting some of my excess food? A little tick mark for where the size 3 growth threshold is, or a hover over the food bar that says 'stored food 40/60, 40/30 after whip' would be good. Easy to work out the maths, no idea how easy it is to make it display that.

EmperorFool said:
This is also shown when hovering over a city's bar. In fact, almost everything on the city screen is now in the city bar hover.

I will also have a look at that. I have a preference for micromanaging in the city screen, and cycling through each city to check, so I hadn't noticed what was in the hover info yet.

When your city grows, doesn't the excess food go into the new food storage? I don't think you lose food, but I haven't tested it out.

If you already tend to open the city screen and cycle through all cities, then ya you will probably stick with that. I tend not to check every city every turn. I like to keep an eye on some cities while others that I know are okay for a while I leave alone. Thus being able to quickly hover over the city bars without opening the city screen is a huge time savings. YMMV :)

When your city grows, doesn't the excess food go into the new food storage? I don't think you lose food, but I haven't tested it out.

Likewise. I'm 99% sure that excess food on growth goes into the new storage, i.e. if you're 59/60, with a +10 food, the next turn you'll be 9/80. But I don't think (though haven't checked) that excess food without growth does the same thing. i.e. you're 59/60 with +10, you whip, and you're now either 59/40 or 40/40. So next turn, are you 29/60 or 10/60? I'll go and test it in a minute.

If you already tend to open the city screen and cycle through all cities, then ya you will probably stick with that. I tend not to check every city every turn. I like to keep an eye on some cities while others that I know are okay for a while I leave alone. Thus being able to quickly hover over the city bars without opening the city screen is a huge time savings. YMMV :)

I don't do it every turn, I tend to do it every once in a while, while doing similar in keeping an eye on just a couple of cities. I tend to open them to do so, if I get in the habit of getting the same data via hover, I agree it will be a big time saving. Just need to get the habit now.

One other thing that occured to me. I would like to be able to see a full list of lightbulb techs, in order to better decide if I want to lightbulb now, wait for a particular tech, or use the GP for something else. I have a good idea when it comes to scientists, but haven't learnt the others yet. I can see a bit of info on the tech screen, showing what each GP type will lightbulb next, but I can't find a list anywhere, including the strategy articles in the civpedia. Sticking one in there would be good. If it's a case of not having one, or having one on the forums somewhere but not having the poster's permission, I can do a quick bit of research and write one up.

Top Bottom