A couple of things

Flauros

Chieftain
Hello people,

I have just discovered this mod and I am doing quite well in my first proper game where I am now late ancient era. I have a couple of questions/remarks, that I'd like to make:

1. I would really like to see a feature that tells me what a building requires even when I have fulfilled those requirements. With many resources at once it is very easy to lose track of what I was going to build in one of those cities, and/or how exactly I am able to build a certain building. (This can be seen when going into the pedia, but that is always laggy for me.)

2. I also strongly support a resource system a-la master of mana, where resources are actually being used up! Perhaps some of the mom infrastructure can be salvaged and used for that. I just find it weird that it's possible to feed my entire empire with bread even if there is only one wheat resource in the entire country. If there is a big reason (apart from work that has to be done) in favour of the current resource system, feel free to tell me.

3. Is there anything I can do to not end up with 50 buildings for construction in my big cities, each only taking one turn? I have multiple productions on, but still my cities have to pump those buildings out 24/7.

4. I have noticed that quite a number of resources don't have little images in the city-screen. Also some typos and lack of info in the pedia. Where do I start if I want to improve some of thos more "trivial" things?

5. Another feature that I would immensely appreciate would be different settlers for different eras. This would mean, that once you reach ancient/classic/... you build respectively ancient/classic settlers. When founding cities with those you already get a number of buildings automatically built in your new city so you don't have to start from zero again. (This sounds rather hard to do, though.)

6. Generally as feedback, this mod has a metric ton of content and what it needs the most imho is some more polishing. However, I am very grateful for the countless hours you have invested in it so far.

1. There is a problem with delay when looking at buildings in the pedia. I am told it is loading far more than it needs but I have not had time to look into it.

2. is a big issue. We have discussed it but it needs some full time attention so it has been put off for now. There are many things on our list of things we want in C2C.

4. there is a bug somewhere, probably in the python, which limits the number we can have at the moment. When I get to that part of the python we will see if it can be fixed or not.

5. We did have these but they turned out to be a cheat since they did not work for the AI players greatly handicapping them. There is a solution but it does not link to units and it can't because of the problem for AI players.

Basically any settler builds these extra buildings based on tech and resource availability at the time the city is settled. This is in C2C and many people complain about all the buildings they are getting.

5. Another feature that I would immensely appreciate would be different settlers for different eras. This would mean, that once you reach ancient/classic/... you build respectively ancient/classic settlers. When founding cities with those you already get a number of buildings automatically built in your new city so you don't have to start from zero again. (This sounds rather hard to do, though.)

This would be exploitable: build city, sell off the buildings, then disband the city. Free buildings would make the settler unit immensely valuable.
However, if you want to speed-build a new city, use merchants. Build them in an established city, then use them to add hammers to your new city queue (overflow is no problem). Building food merchants adds food to your city, and can be used to powergrow them. Also if you have a strong military and weak (barbarian) cities close by, you can farm enemy units for captives, and use those to finish building construction.

3. Is there anything I can do to not end up with 50 buildings for construction in my big cities, each only taking one turn? I have multiple productions on, but still my cities have to pump those buildings out 24/7.

You dont HAVE to build every building there is in the build queue. There are several buildings that are a bad investment (like 500+ hammers build cost that give only 1 hammer + 1 money per turn). Skipping those and build Research or units instead is a much better investment. I only build such buildings if I have excess captives.

If you haven't already done so, learn how to use the filters in the city screen. I tend to prioritize buildings that produce hammers, then education, then crime, then money/research, then food, then health/disease. On lower difficulty levels, food and research would get a higher priority.

3) The worst thing you can do is set one building each round. Queue up many buildings at once in each city. You should rarely be allowing the Build Selection popup to even be coming up for a city that's run out of its build queue or you know you've probably wasted some opportunity. Go into the city during the round and hold down shift to queue up more than just what's selected (CTRL click also allows you to place a building or unit at the beginning of the queue rather than the end.)

There's a lot to build, yes, and one of the goals was to make it a constant ongoing strategic challenge to prioritize what to build and the order in which to build it. Some would like to make it so that you can never get fully on top of all of what can be built no matter how much production you have. In other mods and the core game I was always able to find time to build a military and units and such once the buildings were complete but it takes some getting used to ALWAYS having something beneficial to spend your production on.

6) Polishing is in progress of course. Lately there's been a lot more smoothing things over than there has been 'new' stuff. And most of the 'new' stuff is more a matter of smoothing over other problems properly than it is a rush to get more content into the game.

Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it, even though in that fairly successful game I already did start several buildings in one turn to build more of them.

What about the prerequisite-thing? Is there an option or is it easily changeable to show the prerequisites and colour them in green or something if you already have all of them?

I've a specific question regarding prerequisites that I figured I might as well tack on to this thread.

I just researched Standardisation I think it was called, and it said I'd unlocked the National Standard Measurements (or something along those lines) that was a national wonder giving +5% production, food, gold and science to all cities. Obviously I'm pretty keen to build this but it doesn't show up in any build lists (not even greyed out) for my cities and as far as I can tell from the Sevopedia I fulfil all the requirements for it.

Can anyone help?

I've a specific question regarding prerequisites that I figured I might as well tack on to this thread.

I just researched Standardisation I think it was called, and it said I'd unlocked the National Standard Measurements (or something along those lines) that was a national wonder giving +5% production, food, gold and science to all cities. Obviously I'm pretty keen to build this but it doesn't show up in any build lists (not even greyed out) for my cities and as far as I can tell from the Sevopedia I fulfil all the requirements for it.

Can anyone help?

From memory: that building can be built with a Great Scientist or Great Engineer.

Ah yes, it does say that in the Sevopedia. Thanks for that. I guess the wording is a little vague. So "can" = "can only be" in such situations?

Ah yes, it does say that in the Sevopedia. Thanks for that. I guess the wording is a little vague. So "can" = "can only be" in such situations?

Yes. Sometimes you can build normally with :hammers: and a unit can build it. Sometimes only a unit or event can build it.

If the :hammers: cost is not zero then it can be built by the unit and normally in a city. If the cost is zero then only the unit (or event) can build it.

This is not something C2C has done special, it is normal in Civ IV.

Top Bottom