Favorite Settings

you help by having civics that encourage corporations and not discourage them.

I always use this option.

Maybe you should make some of those settings "fix" and not as a choice...

I think everyone use USABLE MOUNTAINS, so this shouldn't be a setting.

Assimilation should also be a must have, since you almost have to have it for the cultural resources/buildings. Otherwise, the whole cultural-ressources system should be linked to that.

And the Larger Cities, as mentioned before, is also a questionalble choice... this option has such a low impact on the game that it also can be removed IMO.

I just think, if there are some many optinal settings, it gets quite confusing :confused:

And something about the map-settings: Once there was a map-type called "HUB", but in the last version of C2C I couldn't see it. I loved this type of map and was wondering why it isnt there any longer?

If I'm not just blind, is it possible to add this type again?

I think larger cities has a HUGE impact. It means civs with lots of culture, like creative civs will get WAY earlier size 3 radius cities than those who do not have influential culture cities. Once cities get 3 radius they become uber powerful because in this game its easy to build large populations (you will fill up your standard city radius easily). 3 Radius cities become especially good when you can mine mountains ^_^

How you guys deal with the loss of AI efficiency during a game? Ai starts strong and gradually lose itself in the huge content added by the modpack. WHich setting of flexible difficulty do you recommend to deal with i, in Snail speed?

How you guys deal with the loss of AI efficiency during a game? Ai starts strong and gradually lose itself in the huge content added by the modpack. Which setting of flexible difficulty do you recommend to deal with i, in Snail speed?

I dont know how the rest do theirs, but i leave mine on default, and just check the box marked Flexible Difficulty in the BUG Options pop-up. I play on Noble speed Snail, and i wont fight the AI till i hit Late Ancient (then only if i have to) otherwise i leave them alone, but when they come at you, you had better be well prepared then, cause you'll more than likely be defeated or crippled. When i finally hit Industrial that when i try fighting, then you have a game, and that will be the hardest game you've ever fought. But thats just me.

How you guys deal with the loss of AI efficiency during a game? Ai starts strong and gradually lose itself in the huge content added by the modpack. WHich setting of flexible difficulty do you recommend to deal with i, in Snail speed?

Personally I start on immortal with increasing difficulty on, which puts me at diety fairly early prehistoric (on eternity). The AI is hopeless in certain military aspects, so unless it gets ahead early and leaves you playing catch up, it's not terribly challenging on most maps.

To increase challenge the following all work:
  • Increasing difficulty option
  • No surround and destroy (shame though,because in principal it's a nice mechanic, but I need to teach the AI to use it sometime)
  • No great commanders (I love this as a mechanic so I actually tend to leave it on, but it really puts the AI at a huge disadvantage. Again I plan to teach the AI to make better use of this sometime).
  • Play as an island nation on a map that has some large landmasses which at least some AI players start on - this really can make thing a lot more challenging. Try GEM playing as England for example

To increase challenge the following all work:
  • Increasing difficulty option
  • No surround and destroy (shame though,because in principal it's a nice mechanic, but I need to teach the AI to use it sometime)
  • No great commanders (I love this as a mechanic so I actually tend to leave it on, but it really puts the AI at a huge disadvantage. Again I plan to teach the AI to make better use of this sometime).
  • Play as an island nation on a map that has some large landmasses which at least some AI players start on - this really can make thing a lot more challenging. Try GEM playing as England for example

Wow didn't know about the S&D, too bad:( Guess i will have to UN-check that from now on.
I agree with the GC, i dont like the way the AI uses them either, but like you i cant play without this great option. Same as Heroes, AI is handling them better but NOT even up to snuff yet.
I always try to play on Continents of rather LARGE in tile mass, but only about 2-3 civs on each continent, if that many even.

Right now i am trying all new aspects of C2C, on Gigantic Map just to see, what is useful and how many civs i can get to have the turn times down without making it more than 1/2 minute per turn no matter what Era.

Favorite settings are very subjective. One of the Biggest variables is # of AI set up. And this is further modified by size of Map. Which in turn is modified by Type of Map.

These guys like the GEM map I personally do not. I prefer Archipelago(low sea level), Island (low sea level, Extra islands, and many small islands), Custom Continents (maxed to 6 continents), Lakes (High Sea Level), and Fractal. All these maps are played on Huge, Giant, or Gigantic. None of these Maps will ever (for me) have more than 15 AI. Most will have 7-12 AI.

All these maps with these settings provide the AI some time to grow before being crowded. To me this is very important in that you can Not "rush" a neighboring AI to gain his cities till after you have (for the Most part) discovered Rafts and sometimes not until you have Galleys or even Cogs. You do start isolated most of the time, but not always. You Will need to develop Navies (except for the Lakes or Fractal). So Prehistoric wars are more rare. Warfare can start by Ancient but might be delayed as far as Medieval or Ren Eras. So the early focus of the game is on developing Your landmass in preparation to meeting your neighbors. And the longer it takes to "meet" the neighbors the greater the chance that when you do they will Not be cream puffs or push overs. Wars when they occur usually last for some time and are not blitzkriegs.

There are other variables in this mix too. Such as for me, I play on Noble, equal footing with the AI, and for beta testing. I also do not use Flex difficulty for the same reason.

Options I rarely use or flat out will not use are: Vassals, Inquisition, Limited Religions, Revolutions, Raging Barbs, or Choose religions.

JosEPh :)

Just a quick note to advise against 'New Random seed on Reload'. The only reason to have this really is so you can cheat ;)

The (big from my perspective) downside, is that if you submit a same game to illustrate a bug it might not happen when you reload, due to a different random number sequence, so it can make debugging things a lot harder.

Perhaps we should disable it as an option then... I did not realize this myself but you make a good point about New Random Seed... However, I found that when things were a bit 'buggier' it was helpful to have on to help us get around those bugs too. Now, not only are things greatly improved there thanks to you guys, you also respond fairly quickly to bug registrations and fix them up pretty quick. So its more worth it now to play with it off.

Perhaps we should disable it as an option then... I did not realize this myself but you make a good point about New Random Seed... However, I found that when things were a bit 'buggier' it was helpful to have on to help us get around those bugs too. Now, not only are things greatly improved there thanks to you guys, you also respond fairly quickly to bug registrations and fix them up pretty quick. So its more worth it now to play with it off.

We could disable it and add a key sequence (ctrl shift Alt R or something) to re randomize at any time.

That could be a good fix if it we do some work on informing players of all the hotkey sequences we have in the game, including this one, in the civopedia. I get a bit frustrated not having an easy reference for these. I wonder if one of our new contributors would like to take up this task...

I rewrote some of my settings:

Multiple Production Multiple Research Usable Mountains Assimilation all ON the 4 must haves.

Larger citieson

Limited religionson

No barb civs (more room)

I like realistic corporations they are cool, it influences your civic choice coz you want to encourage corporations to come to your nation.

Custom map - Size custom- in between large and huge is what i'd recommend- you'll still need a good computer to run this in modern era but should run well without any slowdown etc.
Snaky continents, hard terrain variation, 6-8 continents with 4 tile seperation (aprox, 12-20 civs i'd recommend for this size). I like No Wrap, makes it kinda more strategic however the AI does better when the world is round.

Great Commanders - although this is a cool option, the AI can't use it very well currently so I turn this off.

Advanced Espionage- OFF i think subverting cities is broken, you still get spy promotions and extra spy missions with this off.

Advanced Diplomacy - This is a good option, HOWEVER - turn off military unit trading in options coz I think this is unbalanced, also worker trading is ok but basically only put it on if your playing a difficulty level your not confident with coz the AI pays alot of $$$ for your workers and i don't think i've ever purchased one.

Tech Brokering - Not allowed, tech trading off completely is a good way to play but it makes the game too slow for me so this is a nice compromise. Abusing diplomacy so to clinch all the new techs is a fundamental strategy against immortal/deity imo.

Guilds - off

Advanced Nukes off

Unlimited Wonders I like to have this off, however the AI like it on so i let them enjoy it :)

Modern Corporations off, enough is enough imo.

Start As Minor I don't like this, so off.

Revolutions This is a cool option, however again the AI prefers it off (as in they do better).

Ruthless AI At first I thought this option would be terrible, its actually very important. It was designed to make the AI trade techs with each other WAY more, and the AI also gets much more upset if you trade with people they're at war with as well as some other features. It doesn't mean the AI builds more troops, it just means they are smarter and harder.

Religion Decay on, either way really.

Surround and Destroy Off coz ai doesn't take advantage of it, they're too dumb.

Advanced Economy on, free trade agreements seem to be the only difference and they're cool.

Barbarian Generals sure why not

Victory Conditions Mastery - who actually plays a civ game to the end? I can't remember ever doing so in a long time, usually I just either concede or am convinced there is no hope for the AI.

United Nations you can build it without winning the game - especially good for Mastery Victory condition.

Oh and one more important option I think is No City Limits, I never would chose this option but I then tried it out and the AI does way better when the number of city limitation is lifted. You will also find the AI civs are more consistently even in score as opposed to just a couple of huge scores and lots of little ones. That reminds me of another option; Vassals i don't like having them on but again, the AI does much better with them on, so let them have them. With vassals off however, the AI often backstabs others while they are in a war from another flank where the civilization is weak. When players have to commit armies to finish off civs and not just have them capitulate after a few turns, it adds more strategy, so its a bit of a toss up, I tend to switch between on and off.

Oh and one more important option I think is No City Limits, I never would chose this option but I then tried it out and the AI does way better when the number of city limitation is lifted. You will also find the AI civs are more consistently even in score as opposed to just a couple of huge scores and lots of little ones.
:trophy:

Finally someone else sees this besides me! Hurrah! :clap:

JosEPh

I rewrote some of my settings:

Multiple Production Multiple Research Usable Mountains Assimilation all ON the 4 must haves.

Larger citieson

Limited religionson

No barb civs (more room)

I like realistic corporations they are cool, it influences your civic choice coz you want to encourage corporations to come to your nation.

Custom map - Size custom- in between large and huge is what i'd recommend- you'll still need a good computer to run this in modern era but should run well without any slowdown etc.
Snaky continents, hard terrain variation, 6-8 continents with 4 tile seperation (aprox, 12-20 civs i'd recommend for this size). I like No Wrap, makes it kinda more strategic however the AI does better when the world is round.

Great Commanders - although this is a cool option, the AI can't use it very well currently so I turn this off.

Advanced Espionage- OFF i think subverting cities is broken, you still get spy promotions and extra spy missions with this off.

Advanced Diplomacy - This is a good option, HOWEVER - turn off military unit trading in options coz I think this is unbalanced, also worker trading is ok but basically only put it on if your playing a difficulty level your not confident with coz the AI pays alot of $$$ for your workers and i don't think i've ever purchased one.

Tech Brokering - Not allowed, tech trading off completely is a good way to play but it makes the game too slow for me so this is a nice compromise. Abusing diplomacy so to clinch all the new techs is a fundamental strategy against immortal/deity imo.

Guilds - off

Advanced Nukes off

Unlimited Wonders I like to have this off, however the AI like it on so i let them enjoy it :)

Modern Corporations off, enough is enough imo.

Start As Minor I don't like this, so off.

Revolutions This is a cool option, however again the AI prefers it off (as in they do better).

Ruthless AI At first I thought this option would be terrible, its actually very important. It was designed to make the AI trade techs with each other WAY more, and the AI also gets much more upset if you trade with people they're at war with as well as some other features. It doesn't mean the AI builds more troops, it just means they are smarter and harder.

Religion Decay on, either way really.

Surround and Destroy Off coz ai doesn't take advantage of it, they're too dumb.

Advanced Economy on, free trade agreements seem to be the only difference and they're cool.

Barbarian Generals sure why not

Victory Conditions Mastery - who actually plays a civ game to the end? I can't remember ever doing so in a long time, usually I just either concede or am convinced there is no hope for the AI.

United Nations you can build it without winning the game - especially good for Mastery Victory condition.

Oh and one more important option I think is No City Limits, I never would chose this option but I then tried it out and the AI does way better when the number of city limitation is lifted. You will also find the AI civs are more consistently even in score as opposed to just a couple of huge scores and lots of little ones. That reminds me of another option; Vassals i don't like having them on but again, the AI does much better with them on, so let them have them. With vassals off however, the AI often backstabs others while they are in a war from another flank where the civilization is weak. When players have to commit armies to finish off civs and not just have them capitulate after a few turns, it adds more strategy, so its a bit of a toss up, I tend to switch between on and off.

I like the city limits because it forces me to grow more progressively, but I accept that it's one more hurdle the AI does worse with relative to humans.

I'm wondering if the numeric limit should have a modifier from difficulty level (which would relieve the problem for the AI while still imposing it on the high-difficulty-setting human)...?

I'm wondering if the numeric limit should have a modifier from difficulty level (which would relieve the problem for the AI while still imposing it on the high-difficulty-setting human)...?

Yes! As an Option of course. ;)

JosEPh:)

Yes! As an Option of course. ;)

JosEPh:)

No way would that be an option. City limits themselves can be optional (a now), but the mechansm by which hey work (or which this would be part) would not be optional.

I meant City Limits (as now) With that new mechanism would be acceptable. (as i trip over my own tongue/post.) :p

JosEPh

Anyone have any suggestions for multiplayer settings? This would be with simultanious turns, not hotseat or through email.

Mainly thinking if there are some features that especially makes the game crash or OoS easily. Also I have seen that not all maps work yet in multiplayer, so suggestions on that regard would be welcome.
I personally liked teutonics map in original game with 30 % water level only.

Anyone have any suggestions for multiplayer settings? This would be with simultanious turns, not hotseat or through email.

Mainly thinking if there are some features that especially makes the game crash or OoS easily. Also I have seen that not all maps work yet in multiplayer, so suggestions on that regard would be welcome.
I personally liked teutonics map in original game with 30 % water level only.
If map scripts cause an OoS on turn 1, you can save and then load that savegame and it should work.
Whenever I got OoS reports I have tried to fix them so they should be quite rare now. Important is that there are some BUG options that are unsynced and need to be set to the same on both computers.

Top Bottom