Naval Units Rework Project

Blimps were used in WWII as defensive mechanisms. Float them around static area (say a beachhead, port, radar installation, etc...) and have them anchored via a steel cable. This (the cable actually) prevents low flying aircraft (or V1 buzz bombs) from going through the area least their wings get cut off by the cables.

I pmed Hydro and he said I should probably answer here in this thread. So, regarding your propulsion systems:

Solid Rocket = 7km/s, 1mN (mega newton = 1,000,000 newtons), very limited fuel, used for moon(s)

The main problem here is that you can't really throttle them. It's also really hard to shut them down once ignited. Therefore, going to moon(s) only with solid rockets is EXTREMELY risky and difficult. You just have no margin for errors. They are pretty good as booster though. In game terms, these could reduce costs for launches, once this is implented. However, they are at least as old as liquid rockets, so I don't know if this would make sense.

Liquid Rocket = 14km/s, 1mN, very limited fuel, used for moon(s)

These aren't that bad. Basically all rockets that are launched use a liquid rocket engine. They are more complicated then solid rockets since the fuel must be pumped and also cooled down. But they are easy to ignite or shut down, and you can throttle them. They off a broad range off application within the solar system. Apollo 11, Voyager, Couriosity... They all were launched using these.

Ion Thruster = 600km/s, 1cN (centi-newton) used for solar system traversal

These are somewhat experimental at the moment, yet in use. While liquid and solid rockets get most of there impulse from exhausting lots of fuel with a moderate speed (as impulse is velocity * mass), Ion Engines exhaust TINY amounts of fuel, but with extremely high speed. They are a type of electrical engine and don't require much fuel to change their velocity a lot, but they consume lots of energy. Basically, the higher your energy input, the higher your thrust. It is unlikely that they will ever generate enough thrust to lift off from earth, so a liquid rocket is needed to put them into orbit. From there, they can pretty much go everywere with tiny amounts of fuel, IF they have enough electrical power.

Solar Sails (only be used to reduce inner solar system maintenance)

As Ion Engines, those have very little acceleration. But they don't consume any fuel at all which isn't bad. But be carefull with reducing maintenace: They can't lift off from the surface but have to be in (high) orbit. Since the most (fuel) costly part of a launch is the take off from the bodies surface, they won't reduce maintenance by a lot except for pure orbit to orbit transfers. (Actually, slowing down at your target requires not only a high change of velocity, but also a high thrust - which is a problem for solar sails, so unless you have your cargo in a very temperatur and acceleration resistent box and the planet has an atmosphere, those spacecraft would need an other engine for that). You won't want to use it for manned missions though, since it takes ages till it accelerates. The additional life support makes the craft heavier, resulting in even slower acceleration, longer flight times and thus even more life support etc... It should be noted that due orbital mechanics, these can be used in both ways: closer from sun and away from the sun.

VASIMR = 900km/s, 1kN settle Alpha Centauri or equivalent

This propulsion system is highly flexible. It can go down to a very high thrust but get inefficient at doing so, or only produce very low thrust for getting extremely fuel efficient. It's also an electric engine.

Magnetic Sails (only be used to reduce overall solar system maintenance)

Pretty much the same thing as solar sails. Main differences: It actually needs bigger "sails" then the solar variant, but since its sails are a magnetic field, they are lighter. They can also use magnetic fields of planets, making them a bit better at accelerating and deccelerating near them.

Nuclear Pulse Propulsion = 15,000km/s, 10tN trade with Alpha Centauri more efficiently but cannot settle with since thrust would crush a person.

While in theory those could start from the surface, you don't want to do this since this would result in heavy fallout.

ACNPP = 62,000km/s, 60tN trading only

I don't know this one.

Antimatter Rocket = 100,000km/s, 1pN (petaNewton) strictly terrestrial probes, thrust would crush anything not actually attached to the craft.

To clarify this: Your rocket won't go any faster just because it has antimatter in it. You need to transfer the antimatter in something usefull - electrical or thermal energy. Then it can propulse either an electric engine (like VASIMR) or thermal engines. Also, your "speed" (here 100,000 km/s) is NOT the velocity of the rocket! DeltaV, which is the change of velocity, is a commonly used way to describe how much fuel a rocket has. It is not an actual speed. If you would fire your engines straight in one direction no matter what - then is DeltaV = max speed. But only then. So a high DeltaV only means: Lots of fuel. And here energy density fof fuels is important. To change velocity, you need to apply a force. You need more force to accelerate 1 kg then you need to accelerate 1 g. This is what makes spaceflight so expensive: You need a lot of fuel to lift your rocket into orbit, but this fuel is heavy - so you need more fuel to lift the fuel. And then you need even more fuel to lift the fuel to lift the fuel :crazyeye: This limits how big a payload can be. Denser fuel is a huge advantage here. Antimatter has an extremely high energy content per mass, which means your spacecraft that needed 100 tons of fuel to lift of could probably be lifted with 1 µg Antimatter. This makes your craft almost 100 lighter! And this is what makes antimatter as propellant for spacecraft so interesting. And you can throttle electric engines so you can accelerate at physiologic levels. The biggest problem for human spaceflight is more the high gamma radiation from antimatter annihilation, so strong shielding is required.
Since antimatter is only the fuel and the engines are thermal or electric, you could also add fusion powered rockets somewhere in between. Fusion has also a very high energy density, resulting in high DeltaV.

Neutrino Oscillation Pulse = 9,000tm/s (terameters) Pulse only lasts one second, but must be within a black hole's gravity range to enter a wormhole or craft would self terminate from thrust.

Wormhole traversal (needs Neutrino Oscillation Pulse to enter successfully or craft will be destroyed by the singularity, otherwise wormholes would only be used for fast communications)

Folding Space = fold limited amounts of space at any one time, roughly 1ly - 100ly (light years)(only enough to explore galaxy, game winner)

This isn't so far of. It has been demonstrated that a space "folding" warp drive is actually WORKING. It is just incredible energy consuming.

Space Creasing = fold larger amounts of space at any one time, roughly 1,000ly - 1,000,000,000ly(only enough for intra-galactic trading)

Ah yeah I see. Then basically the same physics as for Nuclear Pulse Propulsion are true except: More shielding required, higher specific impuls (= efficiency) and thus higher DeltaV.
I haven't read the article about the Orion spacecraft yet. Once I have, I can probably comment more about nuclear pulse propulsion and manned crafts.

Also I had an idea how to rework the Apollo wonder, but this wouldn't fit in here very well. I can post it in the Space thread tomorrow.

The Orion project basically had it where nuclear explosions were detonated behind the spacecraft and pressure wave pushed the craft forward. Note this was done in a sequence of blasts until they reached the speed they wanted. Luckily they never tested nukes in this way within our atmosphere, but instead tested gunpowder (I think) explosions in a sequence to show that a rocket could be propelled by the shock waves of explosions.

Project Orion (1958)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pcidu6ppcFg

Oh THAT Orion. Yeah, that is what nuclear pulse propulsion is. I thought you were talking about the Orion spacecraft currently under developement which should be used for manned exploration of moon, mars and astroids. I was really suprised that this one would have nuclear pulse propulsion :crazyeye:

we said:
I have not looked too deep into this but if Modern Physics is not within the tech line anymore it may break some techs and/or buildings. So we should look into this closely to see how it impact that stuff.

Well... keep looking and I'll keep looking but I think it should be ok from all I could see.
Looked into this and adding Modern Physics as a prereq to Jet Propulsion fixes any issues with this. So it was already considered apparently.

Zeppelins also gets inherited through Jet Propulsion into everything else down the line since Jet Propulsion will also required Advanced Aviation which will require Zeppelins.

I've been banging my head against my keyboard here trying to figure out how to rework the Gravity issue and I don't see another way. Not without the project becoming an absolute late game tech tree project and I'm wanting tweaks to the tree... not a complete rework. Just trying to make this fit in well with as little effort required for the team.

Plus, I think some clarifications can help so that it's quite possible that the late tree additions fit quite nicely with what already exists.

1) Phasing is an extended ability to hold a state of transtangibility, bursts of which are enabled at Transtangible Neutrino Accelerators. It's an immaterial state but it is not bi-locational in time or space, which is what you get with Transverse Euclidean Geometry. It happens to also be a new form of invisibility. Few weapons can affect a phased object - even fewer still can affect a 4D object. 2 distinct stages of development and 2 distinct 'states'.

A unit can be BOTH Phased and 4 Dimensional (which would offer a great deal of protection and utility and it's an ability that is never earned by 'Naval' Vessels as by this point the whole purpose in differentiating between Naval and Space vehicles has become as obsolete as most land vehicles have become by the last stage of this Naval Upgrade chain.)

2) Gravity Control has its limitations. It's relatively small scale compared to the abilities unlocked at Euclidian 5-Space Geometry. It's enormously powerful by contemporary Human viewpoints, but while it may have the ability to pull a planet together from local cosmic dust clouds, bring together an asteroid field and (if superheated thereafter) create an artificial planet in this way, disturb and break up a black hole (a small one anyhow), compound a gas cloud into an ignitable artificial star, throw a comet or asteroid at a planet, and propel (tactically and within the confines of a Solar System) military vehicles that are mind-bogglingly large, as well as provide the gravitational field protection that's necessary in combination with Transtangibility to enable travel through existing wormholes it would NOT have the power to Destroy a planet outright (unless quite small perhaps), Rip apart a solar system, Throw a planet far off of its orbital path, Rip a Moon away from a planet and hurl it at another body, atomize a solar system etc... which is what 5 Space Geometry really indicates.

Gravitational Control would be strategically useful on a very grand scale but Euclidean 5-Space Geometry is pretty much like having the power of God... nothing cannot be accomplished with an exercise of will. Matter can be formed here from nothing itself (well from transient existing energy) a person can be willed to be or willed to not be with the fine tuned application of the technology... ultimately it's magic from science and it is boundless and limitless. And eventually there should be a lot more taking place before this stage imo.

So with everything proposed and discussed and as the tech tree in that document has been edited to reflect what we've talked out here so far, are we ok to proceed with this as a platform for the current Naval Rework?

Zeppelins also gets inherited through Jet Propulsion into everything else down the line since Jet Propulsion will also required Advanced Aviation which will require Zeppelins.

Yay? :hmm:
Gravitational Control would be strategically useful on a very grand scale but Euclidean 5-Space Geometry is pretty much like having the power of God... nothing cannot be accomplished with an exercise of will. Matter can be formed here from nothing itself (well from transient existing energy) a person can be willed to be or willed to not be with the fine tuned application of the technology... ultimately it's magic from science and it is boundless and limitless. And eventually there should be a lot more taking place before this stage imo.

I agree. The Galactic Era is very bare bones. And even conceiving to represent most of this stuff is going to be hard to try to do. I mean even when creating or destroying planets becomes a thing. Is going to be hard to balance. "Oh all those cities you made? well they are gone now." That's going to be frustrating for the player (or satisfying if they are getting rid of an enemy).

You were concerned about the fallout of removing Zeppelins from Modern Physics. I don't see any reason Zeppelins should be tied to Modern Physics itself but the current routing of Zeppelins through Advanced Aviation (Advanced Flight renamed if you recall) will enforce that every tech that was previously beyond Modern Physics would still require Zeppelins to have been discovered so it doesn't get left behind in tech progress assumptions made before these adjustments.

I agree. The Galactic Era is very bare bones. And even conceiving to represent most of this stuff is going to be hard to try to do. I mean even when creating or destroying planets becomes a thing. Is going to be hard to balance. "Oh all those cities you made? well they are gone now." That's going to be frustrating for the player (or satisfying if they are getting rid of an enemy).

Yeah, it's possible that we might want to restructure some of the stuff that would become major weapons of mass destruction... And yes, the programming of it all will be quite interesting.

One more consideration for tweaking the Tech Tree... sorry it's another tech:

New Tech: Frost Beam Weaponry (x111/y17): Prereq: Cryogenics. Prerequisite for Frost Distance Weapons

I'd overlooked this 'step'.

Should be pretty cool for making new units though ;)

You were concerned about the fallout of removing Zeppelins from Modern Physics. I don't see any reason Zeppelins should be tied to Modern Physics itself but the current routing of Zeppelins through Advanced Aviation (Advanced Flight renamed if you recall) will enforce that every tech that was previously beyond Modern Physics would still require Zeppelins to have been discovered so it doesn't get left behind in tech progress assumptions made before these adjustments.

Is modern physics only quantumphysics? I assume that all these physics (Aerodynamic and stuff) which are related to flight probably could require Zeppelins.

Oh. Yeah it was not clear before if Zeppelins were included into a tech that lead to Modern Physics or not. I guess you are saying they are not, but later Flight related techs at least do include it. So that's why its sort of a half "yay" since its good that the later flight techs get it but then also sort of a let down that you can know Modern Physics before knowing Zeppelins.

New Tech: Frost Beam Weaponry (x111/y17): Prereq: Cryogenics. Prerequisite for Frost Distance Weapons

Ok. Sounds fine.

Why is the Galactic Era even a 'thing'? It seems like you're biting off far more than you can chew. I think you're far better off having an extensive Transhuman Era and leaving it at that.

Is modern physics only quantumphysics? I assume that all these physics (Aerodynamic and stuff) which are related to flight probably could require Zeppelins.

IMO, there's three ways to look at this. Either we needed the physics to be able to build zeppelins and other air forces because the knowledge gained at Modern Physics was applied there OR Aerodynamics knowledge was gained and applied as we played with new concepts in flight design and it's somewhat unrelated knowledge and Modern Physics doesn't reflect aerodynamic knowledge OR Aerodynamics knowledge was key in helping us understand how to quantify the processes that guide aerodynamics but far more.

IF we look at it the first way, then Modern Physics would need to come BEFORE Zeppelins, Naval Flight, Aviation AND Advanced Flight, so it would need to come Pre-WWI (at the moment it's at the end of WWII).

If we look at it the second way then Aerodynamics has very little to do with Modern Physics at all. Under this approach it cannot be justified that because we made advances in Aviation that those advances play a significant role in helping us unlock a better mathematical understanding of forces - we had what we learned when we could build those units and whether we had or not our ability to quantify physical processes taking place there was not learned nor necessary to flight.

If we see it the third way then we should add Advanced Aviation as a prereq to Modern Physics. By their positions on the tree, this would make sense. I can also see how advanced Rocketry would still require Modern Physics, while Advanced Aviation (Early Bombers) would not - we can learn how to get planes, even of very large size, to fly in improved ways by trial and error, but to get a rocket better than a V1 and to develop the beginnings of the Jet Engine, we'd need to have a better, clearer picture of what's taking place mathematically in flight and in particular how differing thrust mechanisms would react.

After consideration, I'm of the 3rd opinion but it means Modern Physics gets a whopping 5 prereqs. Kinda makes sense though when you look at what they'd be: Fission, Advanced Aviation, Cosmology, Compulsory Education and Electronics.

The studies of Nuclear dynamics, Aerodynamics, Heavenly Body dynamics, Electrodynamics plus large scale localized centers of research where those studying them all can share discoveries and knowledges to generate a bigger picture understanding.

So if we want to adapt option 1, we've gotta move Modern Physics WAY earlier on the tech tree. Option 2 means keep it as is planned. Option 3 means add Advanced Flight as a prereq.

Advanced Flight would certainly make a lot more sense as a prereq for Modern Physics under the outlook of theory 3 as it's a lot more aerodynamically comprehensive than Zeppelins which are by comparison relatively simple and don't tell us too much we wouldn't have already known (fill a big balloon and put propellers on it). Zeppelins weren't a very significant knowledge advancement beyond baloon flight to begin with... it was just an engineering marvel to design the same basic thing at a much larger scale. The steps taken at Advanced Flight, however, would've meant we'd really been getting a much better understanding of Aerodynamics as a whole picture.

If we're ok (at least for now) with the planned tech tree adjustments and revisions, please take a moment to look over the revised Combat Class Assignments sheet to make sure nothing stands out as an issue.

A few things to know here:

1) Backup weapons on Navies are going to eventually apply to hostile boarding attempts by and against these craft. Most AI craft are assumed to be incapable of boarding or being boarded and Subs are assumed incapable.

2) All weapon systems are basically active in battle at once.

3) It will be a bit before I can make a strategically applicable method of applying modifiers to various weapons and shields and such. I'd had some concepts going with equipments but I want to be able to make a more generic system of interaction that doesn't work with equipment being an active option. So there's something that's going to have to happen to bring out the depth in weapon vs particular shield types and other factors - such as EMP weapons applying more or less towards one type of unit or another. I'd tried to assign a bunch of intricate combat modifiers and while planning I realized there were horrid inherrent flaws in this approach. So for now, these are all just details to imagine these ships fighting with rather than actual game effects - but it won't be long before I want to address this!

Anyhow... any questions or comments on this doc? The final resulting version required that the techs were determined first and we finally have some serious definition as to where some weapon and defense systems are coming into play on the tech tree so that's a huge plus at the moment.

Why is the Galactic Era even a 'thing'? It seems like you're biting off far more than you can chew. I think you're far better off having an extensive Transhuman Era and leaving it at that.

Well even since AtoM we have wanted to dream big. C2C has numerous times come across instances where things seemed impossible to do such as properties like crime and flammability. Breaking the barrier for resources or even having different versions be save compatible.

While not all dreams have been realized (ex. Multimaps) we still strive to exceed the limits of the game and use creativity and innovation to achieve those dreams.

After consideration, I'm of the 3rd opinion but it means Modern Physics gets a whopping 5 prereqs. Kinda makes sense though when you look at what they'd be: Fission, Advanced Aviation, Cosmology, Compulsory Education and Electronics.

Sound great! :goodjob:

If we're ok (at least for now) with the planned tech tree adjustments and revisions, please take a moment to look over the revised Combat Class Assignments sheet to make sure nothing stands out as an issue.

Anyhow... any questions or comments on this doc? The final resulting version required that the techs were determined first and we finally have some serious definition as to where some weapon and defense systems are coming into play on the tech tree so that's a huge plus at the moment.

So I was looking at the Droid and Anti-Grav end of things. Soemthing that concerned me ...

Anti-Grav
UNITCOMBAT_WEAPON_DIST_LASER
UNITCOMBAT_WEAPON_DIST_PLASMA
UNITCOMBAT_WEAPON_DIST_RAPID_RAILGUN

These seem maybe a bit to primitive for the units.

Anti-Grav
UNITCOMBAT_WEAPON_DIST_DISINTIGRATION
UNITCOMBAT_SHIELD_ATTOMETER
UNITCOMBAT_WEAPON_DIST_ANTIMATTER

These seem a bit too advanced for the units.

Though its hard to say. We may want to add more stages in the galactic era. Thus placing the Ant-Grav at Early Galactic and then having Disintegration, Antimater and 4D stages after that.

Then again you were considering Antigrav as different from Gravity Control. :crazyeye: Thus I think naming the Galactic Units as Antigrav a bit confusing.

I will try to post some of my ideas later.

Well even since AtoM we have wanted to dream big. C2C has numerous times come across instances where things seemed impossible to do such as properties like crime and flammability. Breaking the barrier for resources or even having different versions be save compatible.

While not all dreams have been realized (ex. Multimaps) we still strive to exceed the limits of the game and use creativity and innovation to achieve those dreams.

There's technological accomplishment in spades, unquestionably, and I really like a lot of the things you've done with the mod, but dragging down the game speed with a half-empty game era that people won't reach for over 60 hours in any given game is not really workable, IMO. My game is only in the early Mediaeval (Large/Snail/now 24 civs, on W7) and it's already taking 20-25 seconds per turn resolution (and that's with Minimise Turn AI).

This is probably not the right thread for this sort of discussion though.

Hydro said:
Then again you were considering Antigrav as different from Gravity Control. Thus I think naming the Galactic Units as Antigrav a bit confusing.
Actually, that's correct that it should be named differently at this point. I realize we've had a LOT of potentially confusing discussion on this stuff so let me clarify intent:
The current Anti-Grav ships should indeed be renamed to Gravity Drive ships. They are intended to be the last ships that can scarcely be called naval but represent a stage where navies transition into spacecraft with land, sea, and near-space operating ranges. By near-space I mean they CAN travel between planets in a solar system but they would not be able, without being transported, to leave the solar system - simply too slow for that as all energy systems are directed towards weaponry and Gravity Drive (which is not a good solution for deep space travel).

If we want a ship layer based on Anti-Grav it's going to take a VERY significant reworking of the end of the transhuman era/beginning of the Galactic era. I can see this happening but as I've said before, it would be good to keep this project somewhat localized to its intentions.

Furthermore there really aren't actually all that many techs (despite the length of time between them according to the x layers) between the Droid layer and the Gravity drive layer as it is - the distance is not much greater between upgrades here than what you'd have between any other staged layers because the tech tree goes really thin at that point.

At the moment, the Anti-Grav tech is right in and on top of what would be the era for the Droid ships. Furthermore, it may not be a totally bad thing to leave it alone. I can see reasons why mere Anti-Grav drives would not so easily enable naval vessels to operate with equal effect both above and below the water.

There's simply too many engineering hurdles (energy allocation limits cutting too much into weapon systems and pressure tolerance considerations in design for space vs deep sea travel for a few examples) to make it worth making a machine try to accomplish both roles of combat over the waves and combat under the waves but both the Navies and the Hovering vehicles above may well still interact.

At this stage, Hover (Anti-grav) vehicles coming from land pretty much control the surface war but these Droid navies submerge and take up the whole of the ocean as their battleground. Hover vehicles operating on the surface of the ocean would probably not be very good at fending off an attack from below from the Droid ships unless hovering VERY far above the surface. These Navies are huge and lethal because they ARE so weapon systems dedicated. Anti-grav vessels that can match them in a fight would be few because the energy demands of the Anti-grav systems are so great.

At the Gravity Drive those issues no longer matter and you have a ship that moves equally as effectively under and over the water and even into space - possibly even through rock though this would not be advised if you care at all about the planet's integrity.

Gravity Drive ships would be capable of defending and attacking cities so at this stage they'll be blending in with land units and that will be an interesting deck to shuffle once the land unit upgrades are extrapolated out that far. I'd probably keep them from being able to TAKE cities so some land units would still be necessary...

Hydro said:
I said:
Anti-Grav
UNITCOMBAT_WEAPON_DIST_LASER
UNITCOMBAT_WEAPON_DIST_PLASMA
UNITCOMBAT_WEAPON_DIST_RAPID_RAILGUN
These seem maybe a bit to primitive for the units.
At this stage, primitive may not mean ineffective. There are so many weapon systems being designed at this point that it becomes a situation where one defense counters one weapon but leaves you open to another etc... These may precede by quite a bit but they still have their uses. They'd be about as 'outdated' as a knife is when handguns are available but you can see how at times a knife is still more useful than a handgun so you could see cause to pack both.

I envision laser systems as being unparalleled in targeting extremely large numbers of opponents no smaller than a frog. Thus, advanced laser systems by this time have become devastating anti-personnel weapons that can wipe out a battalion of foot soldiers in a fraction of a second without causing any damage to surrounding terrain.

Plasma: The heat of the sun will melt just about any material as all materials are made from the stuff that forms when plasma cools. No solid at all can stand up to these temperatures. But it cools quickly as it leaves the weapon, particularly in space where it not only cools but scatters in a mad attempt to diffuse. Nevertheless, a close, unshielded vessel can have a hole melted into it by a good Plasma weapon shot no matter how advanced we're talking here. Plasma may even be capable of ignoring the defenses of either a Phased or 4D state. Some shielding can work well against it but other shielding types are completely ineffective. So despite it's extremely short range effectiveness, the weapon system is always packed along so as to be able to deliver the strike it's good at when the opportunity arises.

Rapid Railgun: Some shield systems are really only good at deflecting energy attacks. The good old kinetic damage standby still comes in handy sometimes. Hulls are almost immune to it by this point and can even strengthen if struck BUT not all weapon systems, sensors and so on, are protected by the shell (at least when combat breaks out and systems are exposed) so can still be hurt by these 'archaic' weapons of brute physical force.

Hydro said:
I said:
Quote:
Anti-Grav
UNITCOMBAT_WEAPON_DIST_DISINTIGRATION
UNITCOMBAT_SHIELD_ATTOMETER
UNITCOMBAT_WEAPON_DIST_ANTIMATTER
These seem a bit too advanced for the units.

Though its hard to say. We may want to add more stages in the galactic era. Thus placing the Ant-Grav at Early Galactic and then having Disintegration, Antimater and 4D stages after that.

Take a look at the late game tech tree as it stands and imagine the 3 techs I've suggested fitting in where suggested and then take a look at the tech prereqs established for this line of ships and you'll see why they have limited access to these new weapon systems. The Gravity Drive itself is invented within the same cluster as these weapons are, which matches the designs of the tech access patterns of previous naval layers.

Another thing you may note is that with every stage of Navy after the ultra-modern (and even some from that layer) you'll see that a hallmark of each new stage is that new weapon, stealth, and defense systems have opened up that justify the new naval layer entirely. With the current tech tree, from Droid ships to Gravity Drive ships you have no other new weapon systems to enable with what's currently been envisioned.

So sure, if the section between the end of the Transhuman and the middle Galactic era cluster is FILLED with new tech ideas, I'd be very happy to rework the later ship design concepts. For now I'm working with as close to the existing tech tree model as I've got. Simply trying to envision how these last weapon systems work, what works against them and so on is quite interesting really.

Just keep in mind this late game navy is a patch to keep the game relevant at that stage until we do get into much deeper late game design. Reworking to match new needs is something we'll never be able to avoid.

Also, please don't feel like I'm just trying to dig in the heels here... I want you to understand the thought that's been put into this and as you get where I'm coming with things, if you agree or disagree (but more importantly why) is important for us to share because you may see things I don't, or in a way I don't. I do respect your opinions and I get how it feels like we're making a quantum leap from the Droids to the Gravity Drive ships so I'm hoping that by fully explaining WHY on some of these determinations it will help you understand the insight I gained from analyzing the future tech paths. I was surprised by some of the progressions as they came together as well.

I think another layer between the Droid and Gravity Drive ships would be appropriate but it's going to take a lot of tech work to do it. I don't think we're ready to make that many new techs for now. I suggest we go forward with the navy plans here and then as we work out details regarding the land units up to this stage we may find some unexpected concepts that will help us to bridge this divide in the naval tree - metahumanism for example has not been well developed yet and oh do I intend to see that happen! Might be the thing that really obsoletes the Droid Navies is not machine based at all.

At the moment, the Anti-Grav tech is right in and on top of what would be the era for the Droid ships. Furthermore, it may not be a totally bad thing to leave it alone. I can see reasons why mere Anti-Grav drives would not so easily enable naval vessels to operate with equal effect both above and below the water.

I know its probably not a great thing to put in a monkey wrench in stuff now but the Sea Animal-like Droids seemed a bit out of place. I mean we go from non-animal to animal and then back to non-animal.

Rather than having the droids look like sea creatures lets combine the two. Have Anti-Grav ships at the end of the Transhuman era. They can still have the same abilies as the droids in that they can be unmanned.

Then for the Galactic Era you can have the Gravity Drive ships which we can take models from the various spcaeships available in the download section.

If we want to keep the graphics for the animal seacraft we could always use like the shark or something for a Cyberpunk unit.

Rapid Railgun: Some shield systems are really only good at deflecting energy attacks. The good old kinetic damage standby still comes in handy sometimes. Hulls are almost immune to it by this point and can even strengthen if struck BUT not all weapon systems, sensors and so on, are protected by the shell (at least when combat breaks out and systems are exposed) so can still be hurt by these 'archaic' weapons of brute physical force.

Where do Coilguns fit in?

Also, please don't feel like I'm just trying to dig in the heels here... I want you to understand the thought that's been put into this and as you get where I'm coming with things, if you agree or disagree (but more importantly why) is important for us to share because you may see things I don't, or in a way I don't. I do respect your opinions and I get how it feels like we're making a quantum leap from the Droids to the Gravity Drive ships so I'm hoping that by fully explaining WHY on some of these determinations it will help you understand the insight I gained from analyzing the future tech paths. I was surprised by some of the progressions as they came together as well.

Well I think there are a lot of steps missing that we could do. Possibly even phasing out traditional ships earlier than where you have them in the galactic era. As a comparison your sea ships in that area could be seen like if we were imagining Sailing Ships in the sky. While it could be done, by then I think we have moved long past naval ships.

I know its probably not a great thing to put in a monkey wrench in stuff now but the Sea Animal-like Droids seemed a bit out of place. I mean we go from non-animal to animal and then back to non-animal.
The reason for this is because during this era while humans are still enamored of Artificial Intelligences 'taking care of things' the AIs develop these. They are not of human design. Once humans figure out that they're enabling a potentially horrific enemy rather than an ultimate guardian they pull back to their own designs once more.

Note that the upgrade paths enable bypassing of the Droid Ships entirely so that one is never required to upgrade through them.

Part of this design includes the concept that just before the Galactic Age really gets underway, a common event will be that the Artificial Intelligences rebel and form their own civ, taking over almost all AI based units as their own and suddenly turning them on their human masters.

Out of curiosity, is this coming from an agreement with Faustmouse's feedback where he felt these designs were basically stupid to begin with?

Rather than having the droids look like sea creatures lets combine the two. Have Anti-Grav ships at the end of the Transhuman era. They can still have the same abilies as the droids in that they can be unmanned.
We COULD rework things so that the droid ships come much earlier and we can squeeze in another layer for Anti-grav ships since you feel they would be pertinent underwater as well. It would just require another month or so of design restructuring which I'm sure we'll debate endlessly over. Nevertheless, if it's important to make these layers distinct, its certainly possible.

Then for the Galactic Era you can have the Gravity Drive ships which we can take models from the various spcaeships available in the download section.
I figured we'd use some of those yes.

If we want to keep the graphics for the animal seacraft we could always use like the shark or something for a Cyberpunk unit.
My counterproposal of re-evaluating the tech tree would work to sort that out. Humans will need a counterstrike capable force probably a bit closer to the droid ships anyhow.

Where do Coilguns fit in?
The main difference here as far as I can tell is that it won't superheat the channels which is the main reason there's a difference between Railguns and Rapid Railguns to begin with so it would not be inappropriate to rename the Rapid Railgun to a Coilgun. (And the Handheld Railgun to a Handheld Coilgun.)

Well I think there are a lot of steps missing that we could do. Possibly even phasing out traditional ships earlier than where you have them in the galactic era. As a comparison your sea ships in that area could be seen like if we were imagining Sailing Ships in the sky. While it could be done, by then I think we have moved long past naval ships.
I would see a lot more coming AFTER the Gravity Drive ships before ultimate 5D mastery of reality takes place. Honestly, disintigration, anti-matter and gravity based weaponry would pale in comparison to further weapon systems that could be imagined.

We could have Absolute Zero zone blasts, Wormhole Vortexes, Energy Negation (super-advanced EMP bursts that creates a complete blackout zone of all energetic transfers), Something like Balefire which wipes the souls of those within the beam or blast zone from ever having existed, Time Fractures that make your enemy not have ever existed etc...

We WILL probably need a bit more in terms of weapon systems to help differentiate the Droid/Anti-Grav layers though... I'll give that some thought but feel free to brainstorm.

Top Bottom