What are the C2C Technical requirements?

Powel1112

Chieftain
I've got a question: What processor is required to comfortable playing Caveman2Cosmos on gigantic map? How much RAM i need? I think that C2C on gigantic map is more CPU demanding than even Crysis 3 in Welcome to the jungle location.

I have a Lenovo K450e desktop which handles C2C. The specs are:
i7-4790 Intel processor (3.6GHz 1600MHz 8MB)
32.0 GB DDR3 SDRAM
GeForce GTX 750 2GB graphics board

It cost about $800.

I have a Lenovo K450e desktop which handles C2C. The specs are:
i7-4790 Intel processor (3.6GHz 1600MHz 8MB)
32.0 GB DDR3 SDRAM
GeForce GTX 750 2GB graphics board

It cost about $800.

The thing is, Civ4 can only use a maximum of 4 GB of RAM, and that on a 64-bit operating system. So really, once you get to 6 GB of RAM and a 64-bit OS, as long as you don't have lots of other things running in the background, you've done all you can.

That processor is a good choice; it's really a case of getting the CPU with the best single-threaded CPU performance that you can, and that CPU is pretty good in that regard. However, the main impact of that is on AI turn times; the faster the CPU (per-core), the shorter the AI turn times. You can play it with a much slower CPU, you'll just spend proportionally more time waiting.

AFAIK, anything within the past 5 years on the graphics card front should work. The GTX 750 is no barnburner anymore, but is more than fast enough.

The thing with C2C is it really pushes Civ4's limits. I don't think I ever actually got to the AD years on a gigantic map (admittedly on slow game speeds), or at least not to 1000 AD, before running into crash issues. I don't remember the breakdown of memory allocation failure issues (even with 8 GB on a 64-bit OS) - which may have been improved in more recent versions as memory demands have been optimized - versus traditional crashes due to bugs, which also may have been squashed since then, but it's about the most demanding mod you can find for Civ4, and also one of the ones that would stand to benefit most from a more modern game architecture. It does have some innovative measures for reducing its demands, that enable it to be possible on Civ4 at all, but Civ4 is ultimately still limiting. Perhaps one of the mod's team members can provide input on what they recommend with more recent versions.

Top Bottom