TerraNES: The Civil Experiment

2550-2500 BCE - Update 10

The Plateau

Expedition logs, personal journals, and many texts from old Aramya found their abode within the sepulchral den of wisdom, the small library of Etass. Only half birthed when first opened, the structure is open, like a market for learning. Speakers hold corners to themselves for classes on the gods, poetry, literacy and business sense. The marketplace of Etass is an extension of the academic, core, of town. The marketplace, for the first century since the town was lead by the Aramyan king, was a busy centre of exchange. Coupled with the busy learning centre, the two began the process of diffusing Aramyan techniques and technology, while spreading Aramyan culture and building good starting relations with the locals.
Farming in the past was highly subsistence, and settlements were small around the lake of Etass. Traders went north, finding more villages and better agriculture, and supposedly far north there was true civilization.
Days were often sunny -- the land pleaded for intensive irrigation. Etass was situated opposite the rivers flowing into the lake, and a system of farmers, containers and directed channels was required for good growth in the enclosed region.
The first 50 years of Etassian history saw slow growth, but constant diffusion of knowledge, culture and resources to the region for its development into a trading state between the oft fantasized northern civilization, and the great consuming beast-nations south, in Levea.

From Eterika
Who wants that salt-hole? We'll stay away from their sandy little "city", don't you worry about that. Let us trade and make merry.
From Aden
And I can guarantee that much profits can be made!
:commerce:May the trade between our three great nations grow ever stronger and may these new trade routes flow with goods for thousands of years to come!

Axum had changed much in the past century. After Endubis, whoes clever diplomacy had assimilated Ethiopea came his son Nezool and Nezool's daughter Feiven. A centary ago Axum had been a young nation, just searching for its place in the world. The plague and the collapse of our primary trading partner, Egypt, had almost ruined the Axumite economy along with costly measures to stop the plague. Now Axum controls the region. Trade and the economy have rebuild themselves and Ethiopia has joined us. The assimilation of Ethiopia had not been an easy process, but now it was under our rule, though parts of it had kept their own currencies or operated on barter., refusing to adopt Axumite central currency. Axum had grown, but so had the world. For now at least, the Nile is safe for trade, as is Mesopotamia. New nations are rising as old ones fall. Eterika and Aden have risen to the South, Nubia unites in the North. Mesopotamia remains far away despite advances in shiping technology and safer seas. The trade winds are favorable for now, but will that stay so? Axum has changed, and so has the world. Our mission is to ensure that merchants have a strong place in this new world.

Mehadeyis wandered through the market in this Ethiopian town. Axumite Central Currency was not accepted here, even though local currency had the same value. A nusance for most, this was what Mehadeyis made his living on. He exchanged currency to and from local currency, which turned out to be a lucrative buisness. Right now, though, different things were on his mind. Long ago he traded inscence from Aden in Axumite ports. Now Aden has grown stronger, as has Eterika. They had united their region and looked to the rest of the world. Axum had to keep the peace in the region. Fortunately, both cities seem resonable and the region seemed peaceful.

Writing orders soon. Feel free to PM/yell at me if I don't get them in tonight.

^Model Players^

I have enough orders to start working on the Fallen Sea, the Aegean, Koyulun, ect. Keltia, east and west, is also mostly good except for 1 nation. If you want to involve in those areas, better send it in by tomorrow.

In other news, next week is exams. After the next update I'll take a 1 week break and update various stuff on the front page. In addition, I will post a "NPC Catalogue" for newcomers who are lurking at the edge. Yes, I know who you are, where you're from, and your intent; now figure out what you want to play as and join. :p. Anyway, I'm ordering the rest of you to send orders! Ha!

Moderator out.

Hey, I sent my orders already, long before now. Aren't I model? :'(

Salt and Fire and Earth
a work of Kan Yi-Len

let the autumn leaves fall on the rooves
fragrant wood on the hearth
the people sit in shelter
as they sit and talk and laugh
not a thought of times of old
or struggles of rebirth
of wars, of wrecks, of walls, of wounds
of salt and fire and earth.

winter winds and snows can come
and try to break the gates
but we will stand and hold our ground
until the storm abates
because we kept our families safe
when spears and soldiers came
when illness threatened we stood up
through bitter dirt and flame.

In other news, next week is exams. After the next update I'll take a 1 week break and update various stuff on the front page. In addition, I will post a "NPC Catalogue" for newcomers who are lurking at the edge.
lurker's comment: :woohoo: Some order in the chaos!! :p
Yes, I know who you are, where you're from, and your intent; now figure out what you want to play as and join. :p. Anyway, I'm ordering the rest of you to send orders! Ha!
:shifty:

eagerly awaiting to see the outcome. hmm, can I call first dibs on the NPC's should my all in bet fail?

Indeed. You also get to guide their "path" for one turn.

I'll probably have to gather all my idiosyncratic rulings and thoughts throughout this thread into the guide, as well. :p

Just a little question before I send, the guys north of Siria are the Mitanni, and disorganized Mitanni tribes? Or are there Hurrians in there too?

Basically, they are more Hurrian (tribals) than Mitanni (greatest Hurrian Kingdom, but just one of them)

Hilly barbarians doing hilly barbarian things. Hunting neighbor's sheep, blood fueds, then enjoying a feast with everyone in the clan once in a (literal) blue moon, that sort of thing.

Added twist: Kitabalists said that the source of the rivers is Heaven. Therefore, the Aramyan State of Etass sees themselves as living in heaven, and that they must live up to its purity. In addition, (as you will see in the update), a certain man reached there years ago, brining a more primative form of Kitabalism to the tribes.

As for other analogues in Levea. Mesopotamia is known as Levea for all of it. Aramya is Sumer. Levea is Akkad. Hyak is southern Assyria. Siria is northern Assyria. Moserean barbarians are Mittani.

"Ethnic" groups are: Aramya goes with Levea. Hyak goes with Siria. Moserean goes by itself, but is a larger area mixing with Koyulun migrants.

If you are in exams, when are orders due?

Was planning on getting my orders in this afternoon, but there were some issues regarding the weather. Rest assured, I will have them in tonight.

The Savarari

With the growing size of the Rajdom, getting information from one side of the country to the other was growing more and more difficult. Under Raj Kumar IV, it took three months for one military rider to get from the Daretoki frontier to Daksina. It was getting out of hand.

That is where the Savarari came in, created by Raj Kumar V, as part of a program to streamline administration throughout the Khand. Before his election, Kumar V had been the Rajpalya of Yud'dhabhumi, a city in the north. His predecessor, Kumar IV had been a brilliant ruler, but extremely unorganized and unable to administer the frontier. Kumar V had seen this.

The Savarari were elite riders, both military and civilian. A candidate was put through half a year of rigorous training and testing before he was admitted. Able to cross the country in less than a month, the Savarari's task was to carry information cross-country. Anything from communications to news to government orders was carried by the Savarari.

As of 22:00 EST
Orders Received
Christos200 (First)
Spaceman98
Gem Hound
Luckymoose
Erez87
Eltain
Stockholme
TerrisH
----DUE DATE HERE----
General Olaf
Lord Iggy

Orders Needed
Southern King
Zeletdude
The Loser

Areas Able to be Updated
Koyun
Nile
China
Keltia

Areas Updated
Levea

Areas Unable to be Updated
Western Seas
Japan
India

ORDERS DUE ASAP!
I will update this weekend, and take next week and weekend off (Study+cleanup).
I'll need at least Lord of Elves' orders to move forward with the meaty parts of the update, or other orders which would enable large chunks of places to be updated. (Looking at Sardinia :)) If not when I get home, I WILL postpone the update.

Top Bottom