"Our words are backed by nuclear weapons!"

Solver said:
Gee Thunderfall... I must say I didn't expect you to post something this evil on the site .
Why not? :D Nukes was hardly mentioned or featured in any previews, so I thought this is a good one to reveal. :)

We have an article to post about multiplayer btw, but I think we can post it after your part 2.

I hope it's possible to change "Global Warming" to "Nuclear Winter". Warming doesn't make any sense - it should be a response to pollution levels, not bombs.

Would the addition of something like CivIII's Global Warming be moddable?

Thunderfall said:
Why not? :D Nukes was hardly mentioned or featured in any previews, so I thought this is a good one to reveal. :);)

The fun part is, this is also the first time I've seen a nuke shot in Civ4, I've never used them so far. See, I'm a good natured guy :).

woah! those are awesome screenshots! and thunderfall won a space victory! hehe :lol:

Thunderfall said:
Why would you want to get nuked? ;)

It's not about wanting to get nuked but about how far you can go with the AI before she ticks out completely... interesting 'specially when you can do spy missions and blame another civ ^^ Plus I have no bad conscience when the AI started it :D Eye for an eye you know ;)

The article talks about how buildings, units, and improvements are all subject to destruction - my question is, are wonders still immune or do they have a chance of being destroyed by a nuclear attack - I noticed in the screenshot the Eiffel Tower survives - but still... perhaps a wonder has a higher probability of surviving?

dc82 said:
The article talks about how buildings, units, and improvements are all subject to destruction - my question is, are wonders still immune or do they have a chance of being destroyed by a nuclear attack - I noticed in the screenshot the Eiffel Tower survives - but still... perhaps a wonder has a higher probability of surviving?

From the article:
There are a few exceptions: Wonders, roads, and rails cannot be destroyed by nukes.

Wonders roads and rails can't be destroyed? That doesn't make senes, but I guess nukes would be overpowered, otherwise.

Great article, TF :)!

Awesome screenshots and animated GIFs !!!
(will tread lightly around Gen. Thunderfall...)

Very good article. But do you won a space victory before that?

Well, nukes LOOK spectacular-which is fantastic-and they seem to do quite a bit of damage. However, I DO plan to mod a few things related to them (and I feel certain I can this time ;)!)
First, I REALLY want to have Tac Nukes and Atomic Bombs in the game-so I hope I can edit the power of nukes (any idea, Thunderfall?)
Second, I REALLY want to make TMP a NATIONAL wonder-otherwise, there is no reason for us to build it (just wait for someone else to do it-and gain all the benefits-doesn't seem fair to me??)
Third, I REALLY think they should have a much greater penalty on the civ you nuke-I mean a -2 penalty is what you get for CLOSE BORDERS for pity's sake! A nuke should grant a minimum -6 penalty to the civ you nuke, and -1 to -3 to all other civs (depending on how they felt about the nuked civ in the first place ;)!)
I also think there chance of causing Global Warming/Nuclear winter should be MUCH greater! Which reminds me, is this the ONLY way global warming can be caused? I was hoping that excessive pollution should have the same kind of effect (I mean REALLY excessive!)
That said, I think the radioactive fallout makes these nukes MUCH more dangerous than their civ2/civ3 counterparts-how hard is it to scrub, though, Thunderfall?
Anyway TF, loved the article, fantastic work :)! Hope you can let me know how possible the changes I suggested actually are ;)!

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.

That's a big bang!

I have a question: If the non-proliferation treaty gets signed, can it be revoked later? Or is that it for nukes in that particular game?

josephstalin said:
Very good article. But do you won a space victory before that?
Yeah, I normally don't use nukes much, and testing nukes after a win is a good time. :)

I have a question: If the non-proliferation treaty gets signed, can it be revoked later? Or is that it for nukes in that particular game?
The resolutions can be proposed again and revoted on, so I would say yes. I haven't really tried revoking it in my games though.

Willowmound said:
That's a big bang!

That's a very good question. Suppose you have a large arsenal of nuclear weapons stored up, and are planning to use them. Some peacenik at the UN comes along and proposes and gets the non proliferation treaty passed, does it just mean that my nukes can NOT be used in the current game, or that if I do so I become an instant pariah to all remaining nations?

thanks for the great article on the nukes, and thanks for asking that question Willowmound.

Tom

Great article, TF!

But, as it says in the article, 500 nukes will mean every turn there's a 50% chance just one tile will be transformed because of global warming. That seems like a negligible effect.

Furthermore I'm a tiny bit disappointed they still mixed up global warming with nuclear winter. It doesn't make the game that more complex, does it?

Whoohoo! NUKES! Great preview. And the animation is a great addition.

I am also wondering how difficult it is to clean up fallout. Is it like the pollution from Civ3?

Yeah, the environmental impact seems pretty light - I'd think that it should be a dice roll out of 100, not 1000.

I'm a little confused as to why roads are magically immune to nuclear weapons, but otherwise the screens look great.

I reserve my nuking until after victories, like TF, but every so often there's just one particular game where I want to rain death and destruction down on a particularly annoying opponent. "Nuke 'em 'til they glow," right?

Top Bottom