Fairy Tale

Thank you, SwordOfJustice. It is indeed taking shape here. And the greatest part is that it is such fun to build on this.

Gonna try this again...been waitin' for the new version

I'm playing the main scenario as the Elves. A couple of quick comments. The Elf starting capital is crap. What appears to be a lion is called a bear.

edit: also, I could not construct the Stone Circle

Oh yes. The Elven capital is no good really. It was the first city to ever be founded in the Known World and its foundation marks the beginning of recorded history. It was never designed or placed to be a major city though and it just grew into a city because of Elven traditions and the fact that they started looking upon it as something of a Holy City where Elven history began. They weren't prepared to abandon it either, since it was always a very strong symbol and sign of Elven traditions, history and indeed pride. Abandoning Nimbelheim would have meant abandoning the past for the proud Elves, and therefore it remains a center of government and culture to this day. During the Elven Civil War, the city was defended with such fury and energy by the High Elves that its defense turned the tide of war, while the Dark Elves knew that if they could capture it, they would strike a deadly blow right in the heart of Elven morale.

You couldn't build the Stone Circle? I will need to take a look at that, but I have built that Stone Circle in my own playtest games several times. I'll look through the XML and see if something's wrong. Thanks for reporting on the bear/sabretooth. I had renamed him once, but in a patch that I never released. It will be corrected ASAP.

ha...ugh...nice story and all. I just think the poor elves need a little more than a scout and no bonuses at the start. They don't even have fishing for the one resource. Seems like there are a lot less resources in the general area than the last time I played. However, the map does seem a bit changed and possibly a bit bigger than before, i.e., more spread out.'

There's a decent gp farm city just to the south, but it took forever to get my first settler out. plus, almost no commerce. religions and wonders were falling long before I was getting my second city.

Don't worry. The resources situation will be changed. I'm very happy with your reporting of things to correct by the way. You do point at problems that I have overlooked. So keep 'em coming.

Right now I'm working on updating the looks of the mod a bit. All nations will have their own flag in the next update and those are already done. There should also be new buttons for the techs, for some of the buttons don't fit.

Oh. And wonders. I need to do something about the wonders. I want fairy tale suitable wonders. I am alreadyy planning the "Fairy Tale Castle" and have a model by Hrochland ready. Things like that. suggestions for suitable fairy tale wonders are most welcome!

EDIT: My God. You were right, Lymond. The resources situation on the World of Fairy Tale map was not good at all. It was no real panic either, since most starting capitals had the same crappy situation. But I updated the resources a bit.

A thank you to the creator, the work which is available is very nice.

A review to those who are considering downloading it: seems rather incomplete. Good start, no finish. Lacks units and depth.

Actually, Sourboy, it IS unfinished. I still update it most every week.

You claim it lacks units. I haven't counted them but there are probably over a hundred. Each nation has several unique units and there are masses of other units as well. There are variations on specific individual units as well. There are three kinds of dragons for example. And yet, I haven't pasted units I don't like or don't think are important. I use what I need. No more than that, and I will not be pasting units just to be impressive or just to get the numbers up.

You claim it lacks depth? I claim the opposite.

Update 3a

FAIRY TALE VERSION 3A
Civilization IV BtS

This Patch upgrades Fairy Tale to Version 3a, which has several updates to the original game. You need Fairy Tale Version 3 for this to work. To Install, simpy unzip the Fairy Tale folder to your mods folder in your Beyond the Sword directory where you initially installed the game. Overwrite where asked.

The manual is opened by opening the ReadMe.html file supplied with the mod, and the Version History can be studied in the manual as well.

NOTE: The Purple Tower works like the UN. The dialogue is also directly from Vanilla Civ's UN. Therefore some strange options will be available, and will be changed in future updates, but I wanted to include the Purple Tower in any case, since it opens for diplomatic victory games.

THE UPDATES

*All nations now have their own flags and symbol buttons.
*Added SaibotLieh's Queen to the mod. This beautiful character replaces the old, rather inappropriate Queen.
*Updated resources situation on the World of Fairy Tale map.
*The Denerean Cog and the Viking Longboat can now transport military and settlers as well, not only explorers.
*Updated some buildings. Gave the Forge and Granary new looks. All Building graphics in Patch 3a were made by Walter Hawkwood.
*Gave the Elven Federation unique Forges and Granaries. Gave the Denereans a unique Library and the Yatengi a unique Granary too.
*Updated the looks of the Harem World Wonder. And no. It does not look pervy.
*Added several World Wonders and updated the looks of most of the existing, the Purple Tower being the most significant addition. That one opens up for the diplomatic vote in games with that Victory Condition applied. In reality, it works like a UN for the World of Fairy Tale. The Purple Tower is buildable from Tech Monarchy.

Download 3a here.

NOTE: The Purple Tower works like the UN. The dialogue is also directly from Vanilla Civ's UN. Therefore some strange options will be available, and will be changed in future updates, but I wanted to include the Purple Tower in any case, since it opens for diplomatic victory games.

PT member 1: what should we do about the nukes? should we ban them?

PT member 2: what the hell are you talking about? there no such things as nukes!

PT member 3: you never heard of that tale before? the tale that back in very ancient times, nations hold this weapon that cast a giant fireball that can burn the whole land?

PT member 1: yeah, that's it... that ancient magic I think still exist, although we never found one yet, but I hope I havn't, that's why I want nukes to be banned.

PT member 2: I don't believe this... I doubt it's exist, it's still a legend!

PT member 3: I agree, if it does not exist, there's no point in worry about false fairy tales.

PT member 1: well I still believe it! one day something bad going to happen...

:lol:

PT member 5: Yes. The nukes sure need to be banned, even if we don't know what they are. I'll sign that at once. At the same time I seem obliged to veto the resolution to stop the war though!

PT member 4: Heck yeah! We can't stop that war although it has been raging for twenty years and seen the deaths of millions. I mean, my country earns a lot of dosh on that war. But what about Environmentalism? Let's all implement Global Environmentalism!

PT member 5: Yeah! And The Common currency! Let us found the Euro! To earn even more dosh on wars in far-away unimportant lands.

*General applause*

In a way, implementing such ridiculous and absurd resolutions that noone understand is so much like the real-life UN. :p

Playing as the elves again. Things overall seem a lot better now. I like the changes and fixes., plus the resource situation is much improved. Still like to see something else in the Elven cap like a food resource or metal.

I attached the King to the Dragon. I could not attach him to the Champion. I have a "Dragon King". Anyway, I notice something I thought was odd. I was attacked by an Elchers stack and he had his King in the stack, but unattached. Not sure if that was intended, but thought I would point it out.

It appears the Queen is primarily for defensive purposes, so best kept in a city. The Princess looks like an she can attack. Is there a Prince?

Great! Thanks, Lymond.

Oh. I hadn't actually tried attaching the King to a national hero like the Champion. But it only seems right that he shouldn't be commanding a hero nonetheless, so I think it's only good.

Yesterday I played a test-game and the enemy started scouting out my territory with his King. There is something wrong with the King therefore, and I've changed him so that the AI can't just be scouting territory without open borders. I hope that clears it. Otherwise, he should work like a Great General for the AI too.

Yes. The Queen is best kept in cities, while the Princess is a good storm trooper. Pity I found out that her unit doesn't work as I intended. She sometimes dies first , while the two soldiers she has along live and fight on. She is of course returned when the unit is healed, but it's a tad weird. I think I have to remove the two soldiers, and that is a shame, since I think her unit looks really cool.

Nope. There isn't a prince. I was thinking about adding him and several other Royal Family members as well. But I don't know what function to give him yet really.

I have a few other ideas that I need implementing in the next update too. Like a "animal training center" where you can train wolves and bears that can be sent into enemy territory to prey on settlers and workers and possibly destroy improvements. They would have their nationality hidden and work a bit like Privateers. It could be a fun feature, if a bit useless. The Purple Tower will also be tied to a later tech "The Empire". The dialogue for the PT also needs changing ASAP.

Great! Thanks, Lymond.

Oh. I hadn't actually tried attaching the King to a national hero like the Champion. But it only seems right that he shouldn't be commanding a hero nonetheless, so I think it's only good.

Yesterday I played a test-game and the enemy started scouting out my territory with his King. There is something wrong with the King therefore, and I've changed him so that the AI can't just be scouting territory without open borders. I hope that clears it. Otherwise, he should work like a Great General for the AI too.

Yes. The Queen is best kept in cities, while the Princess is a good storm trooper. Pity I found out that her unit doesn't work as I intended. She sometimes dies first , while the two soldiers she has along live and fight on. She is of course returned when the unit is healed, but it's a tad weird. I think I have to remove the two soldiers, and that is a shame, since I think her unit looks really cool.

Nope. There isn't a prince. I was thinking about adding him and several other Royal Family members as well. But I don't know what function to give him yet really.

I have a few other ideas that I need implementing in the next update too. Like a "animal training center" where you can train wolves and bears that can be sent into enemy territory to prey on settlers and workers and possibly destroy improvements. They would have their nationality hidden and work a bit like Privateers. It could be a fun feature, if a bit useless. The Purple Tower will also be tied to a later tech "The Empire". The dialogue for the PT also needs changing ASAP.

Oh no, no, no... :mischief: Her brave and loyal Guard, ever watchful and charged by the King to keep his daughter safe, spirit her away to safety, cutting their way through countless foes to do so. But she is a free spirited lass, and will soon return to the thick of battle no matter what her personal guards say.
:);):D

Cheers,
Sword

:D

Yeah! It's not like she's a teenager anymore and need her daddy's guards about to protect her. It's time for her to seek her own way in the world anyways.

Well, having each civilization have more specialties to it would help. Also a larger tech tree. But yeah, those are only as important in the free play, not really used in the scenarios/story.

The different civs are pretty much very unique as it is, but I am working hard on making them even more different from each other and vanilla. And yes, there will be more techs, but I am adding them as I need them.

Tonight I have been designing a 100x100 humongous map of the Known World. In the next update there will be at least one new civ as well and I needed to make room. My problem is that huge maps don't run well on my computer, since it is starting to get old, but I am soon going to get a new machine that runs mega maps without problems as well. Much of this map has useless space as well; massive rainforests in the south and the Great Canwella Desert in the West.

Here's a preview.

Actually, Sourboy, it IS unfinished. I still update it most every week.
Was not aware, great to know. :goodjob:

You claim it lacks units. I haven't counted them but there are probably over a hundred. Each nation has several unique units and there are masses of other units as well.
Probably not phrased correctly on my part, and I understand that fantasy races require massively more unique units... but my point was that there's limited units within each race. In other words, not much room to grow/upgrade. You get what you get. Suggestion? How about adding some non-unique units... maybe "dwarven mercenaries" or something like that. I love the potential and the product I've seen, I just felt like 'whoa, that's all I can build?' Good luck!

Ah. Actually, I am on that track already. :D

I actually have "Goblin Mercenaries" already that pop up from time to time; they join random nations at random times. The Goblin units are quite powerful and can turn the strategic situation in quite a number of interesting ways, especially if they appear in the early game.

Some nations can also recruit units that really belong to other nations. The Vikings, for example, can recruit Valkyries by building a "Valkyrie Embassy", I think it was called, and those are directly taken from another nation and so forth. I could expand this idea for sure!

Dwarven mercenaries are a very good idea. I will implement them, since the database is full of Dwarven units that I can use, but haven't found a place for yet. Thanks for the idea, man!

Perhaps an embassy or "shadow guild" as a building representing each race. This way, you can get a few of the best units from each race at great upfront cost and upkeep cost to keep them around. Would certainly help mix things up.

You may even want to consider "hidden nationality" so they look like regular barbarians to everyone else. Allows you skirmish without a declaration of war.

Just a thought.

Top Bottom