Not played since launch, what can I expect?

BeardedWonder

Chieftain
I was a CIV4 player disapointed by the release of ciV and haven't played it since it launched. Now it's on offer wondering whether to give it a try with expansions.

But what sort of game is it now? Does it offer deph and challenge for single player or is the AI still gammy? Ultimately is it fun?

Or should i stick with civ4 + caveman 2 cosmos..

I was a CIV4 player disapointed by the release of ciV and haven't played it since it launched. Now it's on offer wondering whether to give it a try with expansions.

But what sort of game is it now? Does it offer deph and challenge for single player or is the AI still gammy? Ultimately is it fun?

Much, much, much better than launch. If you have G&K and/or BNW it will be a lot better, without the expansions it's better, but than release. Without expansions, not as good as Civ 4 full edition, with them I would say better, but that depends on why you play the game.

Civ 5 is worse if you're a warmongerer (on SP, not MP) or if you're an empire builder (on either). Wide play is possible, but not as efficient and harder to play, so less large empires are built - though it's certainly possible, especially on low difficulties.

Civ 5 is much better if you're into the peaceful (but not really wide) empires and especially if you're into tall empires. In general a lot of the problems are with the AI (AI with large bonuses on high levels settle everywhere just so they can keep up with you), the AI can't position troops on the 1upt system, etc. Definitely if you're playing MP, CiV is a better game in almost all aspects.

Play it and find out, certainly worth a try now!

Interesting, thought it was more ofa war game and had lost the civ builder quality. Always happy with smaller empires so that suits.

Hi BeardedWonder

I couldn't stand Civ4 and played it only a few times. I think Civ5 is a lot better with the expansions. That said I play it with the mods that shut off the World Congress and Warmonger penalties because I constantly warmonger and try to damage the other civs any way I can.
Civ5 has so much depth with the add-ons that I think you would be happy with it.
Some of the aspects I like are Religion-I constantly try to overwhelm the other civs with mine.
Trade Routes- There are lots of things you can accomplish with that.
Spies- I use them against the City States.
City States- Are a good source of steady trade. militaristic ones are of course my favorite.
I've found that with the Civ games your going to get some gamey aspects and I've been playing since Civ2.
I would say try it you might like it :) and if you don't you always have Civ4. I still play Civ3 when I need a change of Civ scenary.
Good Luck Sir

G&K is a war-fest where all you will be doing is defending yourself.
In BNW the AI won't DOW until later on, if at all. Except if Shaka is your neighbor or you've done something really bad. Coupled with the trade system, which early on is the only real source of gold you will find you can work on your diplomacy and gain friends. It's entirely possible for you to start a load of s..t without being technically involved yourself, which is most satisfying.

In saying that the AI may seem docile but it's not. Your first 10 games on BNW may be war free but the next 10 may be a complete war-fest when you mess up your diplomatic web-weaving of deceit.

You should purchase the complete edition, if you're a fan of civ then you'll get many hundreds of hour out of it.

You can't even try to compare the crap that Civ5 was at launch with what it is now (DLCs or not).

glad to see some posiitve responses. Expansions purchased, hope to be playing till my eyes bleed and i'm chanting "one more turn"...

Do let us know how it went: I'm also a Civ IV fan who hated Civ V at launch, and I'm wondering how the game is now. Most reviews of BNW don't address that, as not that many sites are interested in comparing the 2 Civs in 2014. So yeah, very interested in your experience!

Do let us know how it went: I'm also a Civ IV fan who hated Civ V at launch, and I'm wondering how the game is now. Most reviews of BNW don't address that, as not that many sites are interested in comparing the 2 Civs in 2014. So yeah, very interested in your experience!

Look at my history of posting (and infractions :D) and compare them after Shafer's civ5 and after Beaches civ5, and you will probably find the answer.

glad to see some posiitve responses. Expansions purchased, hope to be playing till my eyes bleed and i'm chanting "one more turn"...

I have G&K, and have noted many improvements over the (patched) Vanilla. The finer granularity to the hit points system have made the combat have fewer "what the?" moments. The city-state quests are more frequent, so that gold is not your only way of earning favor w/ city-states. The religion aspect is nicely implemented, and is a good improvement over Vanilla. Espionage works pretty well, though it seems less complex than Civ4.

Remember that it is a different game. Armies and empires are smaller, and movements must be choreographed. The social policies are a ratchet; one cannot toggle between them easily as one does Civ4 civics. Victory conditions are different, especially the military one. And yes, hope that you enjoy your experiences!

Has the diplomatic AI become less gamey and more realistic? To me, this is the most important thing because it makes the game immersive. I can't play a game where every game becomes a human vs AI game as soon as you start winning. That's an exaggeration but I want to be able to make friends and game long allies, since just fighting by yourself is simply tedious and always one sided. I'm thinking about buying the Humble Indie Bundle so I can get the two DLCs for 15 bucks, but I'm still not sure.

Has the diplomatic AI become less gamey and more realistic? To me, this is the most important thing because it makes the game immersive. I can't play a game where every game becomes a human vs AI game as soon as you start winning. That's an exaggeration but I want to be able to make friends and game long allies, since just fighting by yourself is simply tedious and always one sided. I'm thinking about buying the Humble Indie Bundle so I can get the two DLCs for 15 bucks, but I'm still not sure.

Frankly I feel the diplo AI has got a lot worse with the post-BNW patch - partly it's the ideology system, which late game tends to rule AI behaviour and turn game-long allies with a different ideology against you: that sort of overarching diplo effect makes it all too clear the AI is behaving a certain way because the code tells it to. Basically it turns me off in much the same way the Civ IV passive open borders and trade bonuses do - that, together with the actual listing of modifier values in the tooltip, makes it very hard for me to engage with Civ IV AIs as anything other than AIs, and Civ V now feels much the same, while I found pre-BNW Civ V had much more personality.

Beyond that something in BNW seems to make AI personalities far less distinctive than I recall them being before - there were once entire threads on the vanilla and G&K civs and their personality differences which characterised each in entertaining detail.

There are still differences - some AIs are more expansionist, warmongers are coded to warmonger, and civs have preferred victory conditions, but these are traits that affect their overall playstyle rather than their interactions with the player. The AI is now almost pathologically scared of negative modifiers, and if no one's backstabbing you or spamming you with missionaries despite your protests, you don't get any sense that Harald is more loyal than Napoleon, or that Isabella is a religious nut, or whatever. You can make game-long allies, and sometimes even keep them in the face of opposing ideologies if you have shared rivals, but then I never had any problem doing that in vanilla or especially in G&K, and in BNW the same sorts of alliances and diplomatic behaviour somehow feel more mechanical.

In vanilla I actually cheered at one point when I brought Catherine into a war and she nuked Borsippa, before we went on a joint attack with combined forces wiping out the remaining Babylonian cities. in G&K I felt I developed a relationship over several games with Nebuchadnezzar, who was always dependable and seemed to end up as my game-long ally initially by default, and later because I actively kept Babylon onside in later games. I get very little of that feel in BNW; one identikit game-long ally is much like another. Sometimes it will be Nebby, sometimes Harald, sometimes Harun.

I am going to bump this because I am wondering the same thing. I have Civ V on my steam account [not sure if I bought it on release and forgot about it or what] and I tried a game or two, but it seemed lacking and cartoony (I miss the feeling of an empire when one builds only 5 or 6 cities which is my very limited experience with Civ V), and was wondering if the expansions were worth it, or if I should just go back to IV until VI?

The expansions pack are defeniately worth it.. even if they don't change the overall feel, they add SO MUCH features (Espionage, Religion, Trade Routes, 18 new civs, DLCs, aliens, Xcom, Theodora, Shaka's loincloth.. so much... also it adds Lorenzo of Florence and Pre-historic.. wait... am I just refericing past memes from the forums.

Anyway, do get the expansion packs, vanilla Civ 5 is boring.

Building more than 6 cities is not going to be worth it though, in BNW at least. It'll kill your happiness, science and culture. Building up your first few cities and then running over and puppeting two or three neighbours will get you a much nicer huge empire.

I too hated the game at launch. It's quite good with all the expansions and DLCs. I recommend the recent CIV 5 Complete Edition which has everything for $50. You can also get a ton of mods if you're still unhappy with the game.

If you don't know it by now, you better not know at all. Keep playing civ4!

The game at launch was so bad I havent touched it until just now. I bought the complete and I love this game more than I did Civ IV. Amazing job what the expansions did. Gives me hope for Civ 6

Top Bottom