Terrain Graphics: My Mountain Makings

Midnight Piper

The Final Tyrant
Thread Closed, images removed. Conversation continues in the release thread .

A while back I adapted a seriously altered version of Womack's mountains for use with Snoopy's terrain. I recently got around to revisiting the whole mountains/hills issue and thought I'd send out some feelers to see what everyone thought of the direction of my work.

Here's a section of mountains and hills using Snoopy's standard terrain:

Here's that same area, using my most recent mountains and hills graphics. Opinions? Feelings? Suggestions?

Aah! I'm blind! I can't see the mountains!!!:eek:;)

Edit: I can, but I'm trying to get across the point that it's really difficult.;)

As DPII said, it would probably look really good if you were to smooth it out... Also, making the mountains easier to distinguish would help too. Right now it looks somewhat like rubble with snow in it, unless you look real hard.

Thanks for all the comments folks. Pretty much what I expected. I'd reached a point with these where, while I could trace the mountains and peaks easily, I suspected that was because I was so familiar with each model - needed fresh eyes :crazyeye:

@Winter: Perceptive actually - that's what got me looking at mountains again, and the area you're looking at is part of the Himalaya's. While I like the missing contouring at the 'base' level (I wanted that to disappear when groups of mountains appeared), I need to look at giving the peaks/higher elevation better definition.

@Dom Pedro II: Yeah, I tend to err on the side of 'disorderly' in my effort to avoid patterning when building terrain models. I'll have to look at cutting back on the number of peaks and ridges, give the eye something easier to follow.

You know, the more I stare at 'em, the more apparent they become... It's odd: if you look at the whole pic, it seems like a mess of green and white; if you just look a particular tile or two, the mountains become very defined...

Not to mention, when I do actually manage to pic out an individual mountain, they look really good. Can hardly wait to see the final version :).

:lol:... I actually can see a crossbowman in there though... Maybe I've just been playing civ III too much.

Anyway, sorry for the OTin' (not really OT, just spam :p)...

Image removed for space conservation...

Edit: @A Viking Yeti - That's the situation I was in. I'd been looking at them for so long, was so familiar with every shape, my eyes followed the mountain contours without any effort. I suspected other's might see that 'mass' of color though...

Sorry Midnight, this time I would think, it would be the best idea starting an completely new version from the outset. I know, it's not helpfull, but this is all I can say. :(

Midnight Piper,

I really like the snow-capped mtn look. The only complaint I may be able to offer on it would be that it may blend in too much with the tundra...would you be able to provide a screenshot?
As for the regular mtn ranges...I like how the base of the mountain blends in with terrain. I would like to see a little more brown as elevation increases, however(a la the Rockies mtn range)to help distinguish it from grassland and plains.
The hills are all right but I worry that they may be confused w/plains.

Overall though, a very good terrain pack(I certainly couldn't do any better)!

I've been messing with the same idea - some brown-grey-white transition might be what I need to clear things up...

Screenshot attached.

@Arne: NP, all feedback is welcome. That's why its a project-thread instead of a completed-package thread.

I LOVE the snow covered mountains but i don't like the terrain that you have around it, is that tundra? It is all blurry and has way too muchbrown in in.

The darker mountains by themselves on an island look great but when they are put together they seem too dark. I like how you blended the grassland color into the base of the mountain. I should tell you that I have seen lots of mountains and may be able to offer soem help here. Mountains are either, 1. Covered in vegetaton and look like Civ3 hills just jagged and tall or, 2. They are barren with lots of bare rock and snow all over it and not very rounded off eithre, this type would be the highest type of mountain.

That would be the tundra w/tnt overlay - the link to both of them is in my sig.

One of the reason's I've been playing with smaller and smaller hills is that I've been thinking about using a modified version of CivIII hills for the smaller mountains - wanted to see where the best 'step' between plains and those 'hills' would fall. If I have to abandon this line of development, that's probably where I'll look next.

Top Bottom