Modders Guide to Civilization V

I'm not sure where should I ask, but I suppose it could go here:

what do I need to add in the mod properties when I want to replace a lua file? specifically, I have changed the TopPanel.lua file and added a new XML tag in a new file. I have added the UpdateDatabse action to the XML file, but repeating it for the LUA script didn't work.

I'm not sure where should I ask, but I suppose it could go here:

what do I need to add in the mod properties when I want to replace a lua file? specifically, I have changed the TopPanel.lua file and added a new XML tag in a new file. I have added the UpdateDatabse action to the XML file, but repeating it for the LUA script didn't work.

If you replace Lua files you don't need to reference them in the mod properties. Use Queen of the Iceni as a reference. It replaces quite a few base Lua files and doesn't reference them in the mod properties.

Make sure that your name is an exact match. Make sure that your code is working (their is a lua log file in the logs directory that usually shows any errors).

I'm getting frustrated that they spelled Bismark a thousand different ways in their files. Very hard to track this guy down in here.

Hi Kael, I just wanted to say a huge thank you for putting this together. It must have taken some serious time. I've never modded anything in Civ 4 so I'm basically a newbie to XML but your explanations are really clear and I feel like I can get started without fear now.

Although it is 4:45 in the morning here so maybe I should wait until tomorrow? ;)

After I build the mod, how do I test it in game before publishing it?

i think thats what the tuner is for, you can use it to adjust your game to the point where your mod would come into play. also, depending on what sort of changes you are making, they may be reflected in the pedia automatically.

After I build the mod, how do I test it in game before publishing it?

Once you've built the mod you can play it. Gong into Online services makes it available to everyone else, but it is available to you without doing that step.

^^this.... I BUILT my mod and then I see it in the game- I enabled it... but then it doesn't seem to be working? It should change game selection options. I know it works as it works if I replace the original files... so...

Keep in mind that replacing XML files isn't the way modding works in Civ5. If you are doing the same thing you did when modifying the original files then it won't work.

i think thats what the tuner is for, you can use it to adjust your game to the point where your mod would come into play. also, depending on what sort of changes you are making, they may be reflected in the pedia automatically.

No, the tuner isn't for that.

^^this.... I BUILT my mod and then I see it in the game- I enabled it... but then it doesn't seem to be working? It should change game selection options. I know it works as it works if I replace the original files... so...

If you're changing actual in-game setup screens, that won't work as a mod.

No, the tuner isn't for that.

Sorry, but it is. If you add a unit, Tuner can allow you to give yourself the tech that enables it. If you want to see your unit in-game, Tuner allows you to place the unit on the map. If you want to see the diplomacy screen of a Civ you've added, reveal map through Tuner to get the diplomacy screens up. If it's terrain, place some through Tuner. Buildings? Yep, Tuner does that too! Even if it's a Lua event, trigger it through Tuner.

Tuner is most definitely the way to test stuff!

Sorry, but it is. If you add a unit, Tuner can allow you to give yourself the tech that enables it. If you want to see your unit in-game, Tuner allows you to place the unit on the map. If you want to see the diplomacy screen of a Civ you've added, reveal map through Tuner to get the diplomacy screens up. If it's terrain, place some through Tuner. Buildings? Yep, Tuner does that too! Even if it's a Lua event, trigger it through Tuner.

Tuner is most definitely the way to test stuff!

Ahh, I thought he was saying you needed tuner in order to activate your mod. You can play, test, use your mod without tuner. If folks aren't seeing any changes from their mod I dont believe its because they aren't using tuner. But I may have misunderstood him.

This might be a dumb question but where can the mod tools actually be downloaded?

This might be a dumb question but where can the mod tools actually be downloaded?

If you own Civ5 they are on the Tools tab in Steam.

Quick questions (hopefully).

Does the XML -> SQL conversion happen in ModBuddy or in Civ5 itself?
Can you make an XML based mod without ModBuddy?

Asking as with a Windows only IDE being required to make ModBuddy work it's seeming very unlikely Mac users will get any SDK support at all.

Ahh, I thought he was saying you needed tuner in order to activate your mod. You can play, test, use your mod without tuner. If folks aren't seeing any changes from their mod I dont believe its because they aren't using tuner. But I may have misunderstood him.

Re-reading the original poster's comment, it could be taken either way. :D

Quick questions (hopefully).

Does the XML -> SQL conversion happen in ModBuddy or in Civ5 itself?

In Civ. When a mod activates in game the engine processes the database changes (XML).

Can you make an XML based mod without ModBuddy?

Yes, I've got a pretty detailed blog (see my sig) where I outline how to do this. :)

Asking as with a Windows only IDE being required to make ModBuddy work it's seeming very unlikely Mac users will get any SDK support at all.

Come to the dark side. ;)

Re-reading the original poster's comment, it could be taken either way. :D

yeah, sorry I wasn't clear. Dale got my original intent though. honestly, I haven;t figured out how to actually USE the tuner, i just remembered 2kGreg mentioning it on that live play through he did before release.

Nice work.

No does anyone know if there is a place like MSDN to view the posible XML tags and other standard definitions or is back to the (good) old try and fail?

Top Bottom