New team colours!

Kuratko said:
Hi low :) ,
is there any download (even though perhaps unfinished) that I could try? Your work looks really promising (and Rhye's, of course).

No, not yet. I've gone back and changed a few of them because I like some of Rhye's suggestions. If I decide to make them available for others (which I probably will :crazyeye: ) I want them to be all finished. Either way I'll have them all done by tonight or tomorrow night at the latest.

Rome: gray, or orange/dark red
Egypt: yellow/light blue (old)
Greece: white/light blue
Germany: golden, or white/black
Russia: brown/red
China: golden/red
America: red/blue
India: orange/green
Persia: gold/green
France: light blue/dark blue
England: orange/red
Babylon: green/blue
Celts: light green, or orange/light green
Netherlands: orange, or white/orange
Portugal: green/red
Spain: yellow/light red
Scandinavia: white/blue
Arabs: green/black
Mongols: golden, or yellow/golden
Persia: golden, or white /green
Japan: dark yellow, or white/red
Zulu: dark brown
Aztecs: red/dark green
Iroqouis: white/purple
Carthage: dark brown/white
Korea: blue/white
Byzantines: dark green/golden
Inca: golden/white
Maya: blue/light red

how is this ?? :)

low said:
Hey Rhye. I would agree with most of them, but why pale blue for China and light green for the Celts? I would think the Celts should be black, white, or grey, or a combo of any two of these, preferably white/black.

Green for celts is ok because its Irish national colour. And remember that Glasgow Celtics football team has a white and green shirt. And Boston Celtics (NBA) too, if I'm not wrong.
Pale blue for China because it used to be called "the celestial Empire". And "celestial" in my language is "celeste" which means "pale blue".

Rhye said:
Green for celts is ok because its Irish national colour. And remember that Glasgow Celtics football team has a white and green shirt. And Boston Celtics (NBA) too, if I'm not wrong.
Pale blue for China because it used to be called "the celestial Empire". And "celestial" in my language is "celeste" which means "pale blue".

Gotcha. That makes sense.

Ok, after some suggestions, endless flag searching, and compromise this is my final list. If there are any objections make them now, or just go ahead and make your own color palettes. :D

Rome - light grey/red
Egypt - red/black
Greece - white/light blue
Babylon - dark green/dark blue
Germany - grey
Russia - red/brown
China - pale blue
America - red/blue
Japan - white/red
France - light blue/dark blue
India - orange/green
Persia - gold/green
Aztecs - dark green
Zulu - black
Iroquois - white/purple
England - red
Mongols - gold
Spain - yellow/red
Scandinavia - white/dark blue
Ottomans - white
Celts - light green
Arabia - green/black
Carthage - white/brown
Korea - blue/black
Sumeria - light sky blue
Hittites - light green/blue
Netherlands - white/orange
Portugal - green/red
Byzantines - white/gold
Inca - white/green
Mayans - yellow/blue
Barbarians - brown

low said:
Ok, after some suggestions, endless flag searching, and compromise this is my final list. If there are any objections make them now, or just go ahead and make your own color palettes. :D

Rome - light grey/red
Egypt - red/black
Greece - white/light blue
Babylon - dark green/dark blue
Germany - grey
Russia - red/brown
China - pale blue
America - red/blue
Japan - white/red
France - light blue/dark blue
India - orange/green
Persia - gold/green
Aztecs - dark green
Zulu - black
Iroquois - white/purple
England - red
Mongols - gold
Spain - yellow/red
Scandinavia - white/dark blue
Ottomans - white
Celts - light green
Arabia - green/black
Carthage - white/brown
Korea - blue/black
Sumeria - light sky blue
Hittites - light green/blue
Netherlands - white/orange
Portugal - green/red
Byzantines - white/gold
Inca - white/green
Mayans - yellow/blue
Barbarians - brown

1. Why those colors for Egypt? Hopefully not from the present flag because that was merely created because of pan-arabism and would be stupid to represent a 6000 year old civilization.

2. If the logic for China is because of "Celeste", that's kind of dumb... no offense. The first Chinese flags were plain black. Maybe black/light blue.

3. Why light blue dark blue for France? Why not royal blue and gold?

4. The Aztecs should be black/grey, or black/white

5. The Ottomans white :confused:??? I understand that red-white is overused but still. Give them something else please. Orange and red as a combination of history and civ 3 tradition?

6. I think white/green would be better for Arabia. Why are those colors Inca?

Geez, man. They are just colors so relax. Find me some old ancient flags that back up your color theory and I will happily change them, because I can't find 'em. Plus I'm not exactly a history buff. ;)

There is too much red, blue, white, and green no matter which way you go.

W.i.n.t.e.r said:
did them chinese ever dress their soldiers in blue though :confused:

If I remember correctly, during the Imperial era, soldiers wore what is genrally referred to as "royal blue," with the exception of the Imperial guard (the soldiers stationed in the Forbidden Palace), who wore Red and Green to symbolize the Great Dragon (the Chinese Imperial throne was referred to as the Dragon Throne by both the Chinese and several surrounding countries).

Might have to dig up some pictures of old scroll paintings to be sure, though.

Guys, sorry if I appeared angry or something. I'm really not at all, I just often appear that way on the forums.

aaminion00 said:
Guys, sorry if I appeared angry or something. I'm really not at all, I just often appear that way on the forums.

No harm no foul. I would like for them all to be historically accurate, but there are way too many similarities and some we can't be positive about. That, and all of our opinions clash. :thumbsup: Some civs just have to be plain or different or you won't be able to tell them apart. And to top it off, I'm sick of changing and redoing them. :p

hehehe- and the Germans ought to be white and black- yeah- why ? cuz I say so Bruhahaharr- no seriously :) the only period germans wore grey was between late 1914 and the late 1940s- germany's colours have always been black and white (eversince the German Order in medieval times- the German Army fields the Black Cross on White ground still today )...though I have no idea how this would look after the palette change- please no grey ;) Mr. Low- pretty please with cream on top ?

Ok, Ok, you guys can have your way (somewhat) :crazyeye:

Barbs - black
Rome - orange/dark red
Germany - white/black
Aztecs - grey/dark green
Zulu - brown

and Turkey is staying white. I've made my decision. :p

Rhye said:
Here's the tutorial. There's written all that I know right now.

Sorry for my poor English!! I've been hurrying in writing it.

Hmmm, a couple of notes, since you seem to be going on a kind of hit-or-miss method, and this is really a reducable problem. This may prove handy to people who want smooth transitions without hours of testing.

The base color is palette index 7. Everything else is pretty much based off of this color - sloping up toward white in index 6 -> 0, down toward black in 8 -> 15. Odd indexes from 17 -> 63 are other base colors present in the palette. Even indexes from 16 -> 62 are used as transitions between the base color and the following color, and their value is equal to a merge between the base index (7) and the following index. In other words, for even n from 16 -> 62, r(n) = avg(r(7), r(n+1); g(n) = avg(g(7), g(n+1); b(n) = avg(b(7), b(n+1). Indexes 64, 66, 67, and 68 are typically equal to the base index, 65 is some variation of it, and 69 is some darker version. Ok, so far, that's a general description of the single-color definition.

Bi-Color definitions: The secondary index is 10 - the is heavily used as a contrast color to the primary. To do a good bi-color transition which minimizes speckling and harsh crossovers, we need to change a couple of value calculations. First of all, slope 11 -> 15 down from 10 instead of 7. Now set your transition colors in 8 and 9 - third-step merges seem to work very well: r(8) = (r(7)*2 + r(10))/3; r(9) = (r(7) + r(10)*2)/3. This provides two buffer colors which serve as a smooth transition between your two primary colors. For the transition colors in 16 -> 62, we need to make a choice about our base color. It seems to work well if we do this based on brightness, weighted toward our two primary colors. Now our formula for setting the transition colors looks like this:
If (r(n+1) + g(n+1) + b(n+1)) / 3 < 96
r(n) = avg(r(7), r(n+1); g(n) = avg(g(7), g(n+1); b(n) = avg(b(7), b(n+1)
else if (r(n+1) + g(n+1) + b(n+1)) / 3 < 128
r(n) = avg(r(8), r(n+1); g(n) = avg(g(8), g(n+1); b(n) = avg(b(8), b(n+1)
else if (r(n+1) + g(n+1) + b(n+1)) / 3 < 160
r(n) = avg(r(9), r(n+1); g(n) = avg(g(9), g(n+1); b(n) = avg(b(9), b(n+1)
else
r(n) = avg(r(10), r(n+1); g(n) = avg(g(10), g(n+1); b(n) = avg(b(10), b(n+1)
endif
For the border, set 64 = 7, 65 = 8. This will give a border in the primary color, slightly shifted toward the secondary color.

Tri-Color definitions: Treat 0 -> 15 as you would a bi-color definition. Set 67 to your tertiary color. Now, for the transitional colors, you have a choice, since they aren't very prominent, and anything you do here is going to be kinda subtle anyway. For a somewhat more noticable, slightly speckly effect, simply merge 16 -> 62 with 67 instead of either 7 or 10. For a much subtler but very smooth effect, use the if statement from above, but get rid of the < 128 line, and change the < 160 line to use 67 as the base for merging. The attached pcx is a sample of the more abrupt tri-color method. It is an italian white/green/red mix. Red is the tertiary color - note how it shows up mainly as accent striping on certain units. Actually, this one was done by hand, so it's not as smooth as some of the later ones - I'll upload samples in a day or two.

Four- and Five- Color definitions: Treat as a bi-color, but shift 6 -> 0 toward the tertiary color instead of white, and **** 11 -> 15 toward the fourth color instead of black. If using a fifth color, use this as the tertiary color in the tri-color example. These transitions look really good when you use them to control the range of shading on the primary and secondary colors - I'm looking into how well it works with contrasting colors, and I'll upload samples when I get a definitive answer.

If anyone is interested, I've written a little program which lets you select the base colors, then calculates all the appropriate shades, give a graphical display of what the palette should look like, and puts the rgb values into an edit box for you. The language I've written it in isn't a very good one for directly altering the palette, but I can hand the algorithms off to anyone who wants to write something like that, or even alter mine so that it calls a palette editing program with the values to be changed.

Attachments

• rome (white, green, red).pcx
    900 bytes · Views: 251
Well, here you go. This is about the best I can do without spending every waking moment trying to perfect something that can't be perfected because of unit size, not enough good colors, and lack of patience (and possibly art skills :thumbsup: ).

These are finished except for China (too similar to France for me) which needs to be even lighter/paler. There are a few more that could probably use some work if you're picky. Some may not like all the borders too, but they are fine, imo. I will at least redo China.

Anyways, here's some previews of all the civs:
1 - Rome, Egypt, Greece, Babylon, Germany, Russia
2 - China, America, Japan, France, India, Persia
3 - Aztecs, Zulu, Iroquois, England, Mongolia, Spain
4 - Scandinavia, Ottomans, Celts, Arabia, Carthage, Korea
5 - Sumeria, Hittites, Dutch, Portugal, Byzantines, Inca, Maya

For those interested I will zip up the palettes and the default 1.15 and 1.22 bics a make them available later this afternoon.

So Rhye, if you want to take these and try to make them even better then go ahead and be my guest. In fact, I am urging you too. ;)

Top Bottom