Scenario - Thucydides' Peloponnesian War

Keinpferd

King
…soon

Thucydides held the office of a strategos himself for a short period of time, as is known. He knew Pericles from the Polo court and had bought a Polo horse from Alcibiades years ago. Thus, he was a total insider and wrote differently than a historian, who researched events a century later. When not eyewitness himself, he could talk to people, who had been involved, and simply ask them what happened, personally. And when they reported diverging stories, he could pick – from the licensed view of a contemporary – which version seemed likelier and truer. That means, there is a prime source and a prime mod! With every turning of pages, you feel, oh right, there is a feature in Pie's Ancient Europe just exactly like what Thucydides tells. Besides, there's a proper map by El Hidalgo. So, a scenario puts itself together sort of by itself.

The map is in fact "Huge" size, but consists of plenty of water tiles. On water rich maps, no cities, roaming animals and wandering stacks in multisided complex wars have to be calculated. No worries, that the scenario is unplayable on weaker computers. The Spartans start with ten cities, the Corinthians with seven – to give an idea of the size of factions. The Athenians are considerably more powerful at start, but their two Ionian vassals have almost equally as much land as them and are verging towards the threshold of breaking off. If you are familiar with PAE's vassal feature, you get an idea… It's more of a challenge to play Thebes, Argos or Corinth. However, the Thebans are a full grown civ in PAE with a powerful unique unit, the Sacred Band, which decades later beat the unvincible Spartans.

Attachments

• Spartaner.jpg
    Spartaner.jpg
    410.2 KB · Views: 588
  • hoplitikon.jpg
    hoplitikon.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 326
  • magna_graecia_n59.png
    magna_graecia_n59.png
    200.5 KB · Views: 369
Always wanted to play as Corinth...can't wait to try this :)
Really, Boggy (or BoggyB on this forum) and I made an event for the Corinthian player, and I had doubts, that ever anybody would play as Corinth and take note of that event…

There will be only a few events though, not because we're lazy, but decidedly to only get the ball in play with not too much further nudging.

During playtesting we found, some of Pie's original Python anticipated our "historically timed" Python in a spectacular, realistic way. PAE is great for scenario making, because you don't need so much "theatrical", "mis-en-scène" code, it's all happening organically, naturally.

State of completion of the scenario: almost done:).

In this scenario, there will be a few events, mostly dealing with the trouble spots, which lead to the biggest ancient war, the world had seen titherto;).

Epidamnos
Potidea
Mantinea
Plataeae

I'd like to do a quest to simulate the Sicilian campaign, too, because there is little incentive for the Athenian (or any player) to possess Syracuse, in a natural, non-scripted way. I think it should be featured in some way, though, since it was the pivotal event in the course of the war. But what should be the reward? Any opinions from the international PAE players?

In this scenario, there will be a few events, mostly dealing with the trouble spots, which lead to the biggest ancient war, the world had seen titherto;).

Epidamnos
Potidea
Mantinea
Plataeae

I'd like to do a quest to simulate the Sicilian campaign, too, because there is little incentive for the Athenian (or any player) to possess Syracuse, in a natural, non-scripted way. I think it should be featured in some way, though, since it was the pivotal event in the course of the war. But what should be the reward? Any opinions from the international PAE players?

Athens' invasion of Sicily destroyed Athens.

Should be a victory condition for Athens.

Athens had impossible political plans.

They used every losing strategy.

Athens' invasion of Sicily destroyed Athens.

Should be a victory condition for Athens.

Athens had impossible political plans.

They used every losing strategy.
True, but I don't know about the victory condition. We don't know, if the Spartans and allies wouldn't have come back. Literally come back and taken Syracuse back. It would have been a great step towards winning the war for the Athenians, if they had conquered the city. Hard to say, though, wether a conquest like that is a major victory or a decisive war ending victory (which would make it a candidate for a victory condition in my eyes).

True, but I don't know about the victory condition. We don't know, if the Spartans and allies wouldn't have come back. Literally come back and taken Syracuse back. It would have been a great step towards winning the war for the Athenians, if they had conquered the city. Hard to say, though, wether a conquest like that is a major victory or a decisive war ending victory (which would make it a candidate for a victory condition in my eyes).
we can speculate, but Athens went 'all in' and lost.

great ideas...

just got a POS (piece of sh>>) laptop to get me through till next year when i get home.

as long as i (or anyone) can start in an historical time...(the scenario is close to history)...then the player has a choice to follow the line of history (the scripted event)...or well...I'M THE KING I WILL DECIDE WHERE TO LEAD MY PEOPLE!!!

sorry for screaming ... though the fun of civ is...for me; to be better than what history was.

so an event is an option for the player to chose; with a bonus or benefit if completed.

not an order to follow or lose the game.

just one beer...

:p

sorry for rambling or talking on and on and on.

I do suk at making scenarios

Keinpferd you rock!!!

Texts for the scenario are online, now, ready for translation.

To the translators: Needless to say, avoid the spoiler information in the tags possibly related to the faction, you would likely choose for playing, yourself.

Don't bother with some puns on contemporary media truisms and "foreign affairs" talk. I had fun throwing some in, not too many though, to preserve the trademark PAE ancient atmosphere. In the first place, it's important that the texts convey the basic information to the player of what's going on and what choices he is offered.

Please report, if you find any texts that you think don't match the tag, for example if you read TXT_KEY_EVENT_MEGARA_ATHEN_OPTION_2_OUTCOME_KORINTH, and the text doesn't seem to address the Corinthian player, at all.

Have fun:)!

Yes, it will be included in the next Patch (PAE V Patch 3). But this patch changes almost everything again!
more details
more realism
more features
PAE. what else... ;)

Woah woah, the news are exciting :eek: I didn't even finished yet my current two games. Bye bye free time :D

Top Bottom