OCCC (One City Challenge Club) Bullpen

madscientist

RPC Supergenius
So any challenge series needs a Bullpen, so hear it is.

I look at this challenge series to be a little lighter, giving us all simple games as we await Civilization V coming out.

Here are the linked games

Peter (Nobel): http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=354202

Ramesses (Nobel): http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=355117

Genghis Khan (Nobel): http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=356030

Pericles (Prince): http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=8989150#post8989150

Darius (Prince): http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=9014471#post9014471

Asoka (Prince): http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=359094

Feel free to post any suggestions for future games. Look for a new one every Friday, they are easy enough to set up.

I also started the first one on nobel and will play the first few at that, moving up slowly for all OCC fans to get acquainted to it, but of course you can play any of these games at any difficulty/speed by just using teh Worldbuilder save and playing as a scenario.

SO we played Peter for the first OCCC game, leveraging his philosophical and expansive trais.

Next I play to use Ramesses, followed perhaps by a war-monger.

Any suggestions on maps??? Continents make conquest/domination difficult but not impossible.

Go for the great plains if you want to have a fun map which is suitable for conquest. One of the best games I had with Genghis Kahn and keshiks. Having 4-5 cows and 2 horses gives you some solid production :)

Nice idea Mad! I'll have to give Peter a try soon. Definitely a good OCC leader.

SO we played Peter for the first OCCC game, leveraging his philosophical and expansive trais.

Next I play to use Ramesses, followed perhaps by a war-monger.

Any suggestions on maps??? Continents make conquest/domination difficult but not impossible.

A pangaea map is always interesting - gives the conquest option, but also makes diplo a bit more challenging. Ramesses is a nice leader for a pangaea map though - can give into a few demands without anarchy.

Another vote for a Pangea style map. Or at least one where were not semi/totally isolated. But my main preference is for a game as soon as possible. :)

As an afterthought perhaps we should enable Permanent Alliances so people can try cultural victories as well.

Looking forward to the next map after a defeat in the first one.
Spoiler :
I was looking great and estimated a spaceship launch and win at about 1950AD but got beaten via diplomation in aprox 1910AD in first UN Vote

A conquest win type sounds very interesting and something I might have to give a trial run first as I have no idea how to compete with stacks from multi city civs.

I will put the next one up tomorrow night.

The next 2 will definitely be at noble

Ramesses on a Big/Little map

Genghis Khan on a small Pangea map to give everyone a flavor of warring in an OCCC and to show it's possible.

I will put the next one up tomorrow night.

The next 2 will definitely be at noble

Ramesses on a Big/Little map

Genghis Khan on a small Pangea map to give everyone a flavor of warring in an OCCC and to show it's possible.

OOOH - Genghis OCC - fun!!! Of course, we all know what strategic resource he needs...

OOOH - Genghis OCC - fun!!! Of course, we all know what strategic resource he needs...

After the Stalin RPC-OCC I am not one to worry about not having resources since I won a COnquest victory there without ever getting metals!

Still a Khan without horses is a sad thing, so my "Guess" is he get's horses!

After the Stalin RPC-OCC I am not one to worry about not having resources since I won a COnquest victory there without ever getting metals!

Still a Khan without horses is a sad thing, so my "Guess" is he get's horses!

I remember that one - I shadowed it too and cossacks overran the world! I remember wonderspamming to get to cossacks. Genghis would be a bit different because I'd rather get to keshiks first and then overrun.

Can you get a cultural victory with only one city?

Only if you form a Permanent Alliance with someone.

I am am running this as just simple OCCs, without the normal challenges I use. So if someone wants permanent alliances I would use the Worldbuilder save and custome a scenario.

@madscientist

I have been trying to prepare for the OCCC with Genghis tomorrow all week and I am having a heck of a time. I normally play on monarch/epic but I just can't pull this one off on noble. Haven't been doctoring the maps either so I am getting some rather mediocre OCC starts anyways.

I have tried numerous separate rushes with axes/Keshiks/currasairs/cavalry but the AI(war and non-war) seem to get just the 1 tech that ruins them and then it's goodnight gracie.

The non-dogpiled AI seem to resettle the land too fast while not crashing and keeping up techwise. Unfortunately I haven't gotten a map with a choke point where I can stop at least a portion of that. I wonder if the noble/epic combination is an issue since the AI are more "hindered" rather than getting "bonuses" at monarch/marathon as in your Stalin RPC. Also, I have had a hard time sparing units for an ultra pillage strategy because number of turns is problematic. A 42 turn war, like yours with Liz, just seems like on anything but marathon impossible since the other AI's are going to catch up in techs. I understand that 42 turns @ 1 unit/turn is a great number of units to allow for the continuous pillage/resupply strategy you were able to use but at faster speeds I just don't see how that is possible.

So maybe with all that rambling what I am asking for here is a little strategical advice on how to make it work. Obviously without seeing a map, AI, or the religious situation makes it more difficult.

@White Dragon

Yes, it definitely depends on the map - size and type as well as starting location. We'll have to see what Mad gives us. Without horses it'll be (a) really hard and (b) no fun whatsoever. On a small pangaea map with horses, it's hilariously simple. Tech to HBR, meanwhile build barracks. Build ger. Build keshiks. Kill. Repeat.

(Or you can do what I did and forget you need archery as well, so end up with a big stack of warriors first. But that's OK - I had the great pleasure of warrior-rushing Catherine. That'll teach her to slap my face.)

Am I right in recalling that TMIT has an article on Keshik warfare...? Yes, here it is: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=332762

Expect the save tonight. Regarding horses, these OCC games are meant as an educational forum to move up from nobel OCC to, well whatever. We had a Philosophical and Industrial elader at nobel, now we use someone with less thatn useful traits at Nobel. I will say it's NOT a requirement to war, peaceful OCC will still be an option. But I also want to help show people that warfare is still very doable in an OCC.

With that all said, playing a nobel OCC game as Genghis Khan without access to horses is simply uncivilized.

@ The Dark One.

Thanks for the link. I will have to try when I am not limited to just one city.

But as you can see, he amassed 45 units by turn 165. That is impossible for me match in an OCC. Plus, he was able to keep the cities he took rather than having them autorazed and Pacal/Izzy resettle the land. Also, in an OCC I couldn't afford to lose almost half of a 122 unit army by turn 182, even if I could build that many units. Additionally, with only 1 city, a palace, and a courthouse you are not going to produce hardly enough EP's to take down a single city's defense via espionage, let alone an entire civilizations.

I hope TMIT or someone else plays a Keshik rush similar to this so I can see how it works because I sure as heck couldn't pull it off. It is a long time from HBR to Military Tradition for that land to be resettled. I tried 3 different times but I just couldn't outproduce the losses while having to retake cities 3 or 4 times and dealing with the vassalization crap.

I can almost guarantee I'll be trying this with a keshik rush, unless Mad is especially wicked and doesn't give us horse. I think I'm the second biggest fan of keshiks behind TMIT, so I will almost certainly be heading down that route.

One key about keeping up tech-wise is getting to alphabet, and taking techs for peace. In many of my Mongol games, a reasonable part of my research comes from peace treaties.

Debating whether to play this at monarch or noble. Noble I assume would be a walkover, monarch could definitely be a bit of a challenge. With small pangaea though, pillaging and razing capitals should be a solid approach to keeping the AI from teching too fast.

I think I'll have 2 goes at this. One at noble with a keshik rush and the second at immortal with my usual peaceful style. I've played a couple of GK OCC's at immortal this week and depending on the start and his lack of OCC traits, that could be enough of a challenge without trying to kill everyone at this level.

Top Bottom