Discussion about the ISDG Forums

Cyc

Looking for the door...
We will probably be getting word real soon from DaveShack about the new Forums, so I though a discussion thread about their use and format would be good. If you have any suggestions or comments about this topic, please post below.

I think we can change the name of the Main Forum to the ISDG/MTDG Forums, with a small sub-title stating its purpose for Democracy Games of all kinds. The MTDG is about to end, so maybe another in-house Democracy Game can get started in its sub-forum.

So the threads in the main forum can be used for anything related to the games, such as the MTDG Turn Tracker. Information about the ISDG "clock" can be posted here. Random discussions between sites is another possibility. Pretty much an open forum.

I believe all 4 sub-forums should be used. The first can be cleared of threads and renamed ISDG ~ Democracy Game. This would be for any team discussion not of a sensitive nature. Organizing open content before the game would be an example. This sub-forum would also contain the "private" forum for the Democracy Team. The "private" forum would only be accessable for Democracy Team members and would be used for any discussions and polls that need to be kept secret from other teams. Information security if you will.

The second sub-forum can be cleared of threads and renamed ISDG ~ Succession Game. This sub-forum would mirror the ISDG ~ Democracy Game sub-forum in style and function.

The third sub-forum can be cleared of threads and renamed ISDG ~ Diplomacy. Here any team from either site may contact any CFC team in regards to diplomacy, ROPs, treaties, or any other comminque. This sub-forum would be different from the main forum in that it would be for official business (see examples above).

The last sub-forum would remain as is, for the MTDG II to continue and complete.

What are your thoughts?

Sounds good so far. Here my comments:

We will probably be getting word real soon from DaveShack about the new Forums,
Yesterday I sent a PM to Padma, telling him we will need a special thread for the "Conference of the Four", which is writable only by four designated users and read-only for the rest. I guess we don't need to busy two admins with our ISDG... I'll send a PM to both, so they can coordinate and the one with more time can then help us with our game.

The first can be cleared of threads and renamed ISDG ~ Democracy Game....

The second sub-forum can be cleared of threads and renamed ISDG ~ Succession Game.

I think that both teams might still give themselves different names. ("Team SG" and "Team DG" were meant only as "working title".) The teams on Civforum gave themselves really colorful names, so I think we should them our creativity as well... (Also it's a first step towards some RP...) So the threads should probably be named like "ISDG ~ Team XYZ".

Lanzelot

Sounds good so far. Here my comments:

I think that both teams might still give themselves different names. ("Team SG" and "Team DG" were meant only as "working title".) The teams on Civforum gave themselves really colorful names, so I think we should them our creativity as well... (Also it's a first step towards some RP...) So the threads should probably be named like "ISDG ~ Team XYZ".

Lanzelot

My thoughts exactly. Working titles to be changed later. I'm just wanting to set up a format that is initially easy to understand and readable even for people just coming on. That is why we shouldn't clear any of the threads (including this one) from the main forum. These discussions and polls help explain the flow of the game thus far. There are also important threads from the still active MTDG II game that need to remain.

“Diplomacy sub-forum” may have 6 restricted to two Teams only sub-sub-forums for each pair to discuss Team to Team business.

We have enough people for another in-house game?

I'm talking about in the furture, after the MTDG II ends. I'm not saying it will happen, I'm saying with the available sub-forum it can happen.

“Diplomacy sub-forum” may have 6 restricted to two Teams only sub-sub-forums for each pair to discuss Team to Team business.

:coffee: :think:
I'm thinking that may be a bit much and/or too confusing. The purpose of the Diplomacy thread is to document the ROPs for legality purposes (referee decisions). Any agreed to deal can be documented here, so that proof is available to the refs. This thread can also be used for warnings, threats, thankyous, the works. CivForums is presently looking for some way to document ROPs publicly, as something of this nature will help. Keeping them secret will move away from the transparency they look for.

Just one open forum for everyone, is my suggestion.
This will also limit Referees intrusion into private forums.

:coffee: :think:
I'm thinking that may be a bit much and/or too confusing. The purpose of the Diplomacy thread is to document the ROPs for legality purposes (referee decisions). Any agreed to deal can be documented here, so that proof is available to the refs. This thread can also be used for warnings, threats, thankyous, the works. CivForums is presently looking for some way to document ROPs publicly, as something of this nature will help. Keeping them secret will move away from the transparency they look for.

Just one open forum for everyone, is my suggestion.
This will also limit Referees intrusion into private forums.
I think it is not hard. Information "whats going on on another continet" too spoilish to publish it in common Embassy. It is 2 Team deal only. Referee may have accsess to this sub-forum.

Cool. Let's try and get a general consensus from the others and see what our Moderators say also.

Rather than let the DemoGame Revival RPG thread go, should we rename it to the ISDG RPG thread? Or is anyone interested in RPG? Maybe we could even open up the RPG side to CivForum players. They seem rather interested in RP.

What say you, Warriors? Shall we light the dark taverns with tales of fierce battles and glorious quests? Even the married men could participate. We'd have plenty of warm beer and cold women.

I am not an RPG fan for this kind of game.

But I would like to see the forums up soon, so team internal discussions can start.

Yesterday I sent a PM to Padma, telling him we will need a special thread for the "Conference of the Four", which is writable only by four designated users and read-only for the rest. I guess we don't need to busy two admins with our ISDG... I'll send a PM to both, so they can coordinate and the one with more time can then help us with our game.
But I would like to see the forums up soon, so team internal discussions can start.

I just fired off another PM to DaveShack. I even volunteered to do the work. :thumbsup:

Ok, help is on the way. We just have to wait for it.

Thanks for the quick response, DaveShack.

If it is so difficult to make partially open thread, may be Lanzelot, say, will open normal one and on top write with big letters "For four persons only".
List:...
Somehow all can read...

justanick has already opened the "Conference of Four" thread in the CivForums.

Hopefully, our 2 members will keep us updated on what is happening over there.

Because the formation of the ISDG Forums by the Big Mods is taking longer than expected, DaveShack came up with another idea. Here it is:

Originally Posted by DaveShack
Another idea just came up. How about invite-only social groups? You can have threads in there so it doesn't take up PM space or have the hassle of cc'ing lots of people. The admins wouldn't have to be bugged to create forums or create access lists that you'd have to manage. The root for the game can still be in a forum thread, which would remain at the top with no other activity -- and can be stuck if necessary. The only drawback that I've found is that all moderators can see it, so if a member of the other team is a mod it can be trouble. And you don't navigate to it in the same way.

Personally, this doesn't present a reasonable alternative. Too far out of the norm to attract new people, or keep the regulars, IMO. What does everyone else think?

Because the formation of the ISDG Forums by the Big Mods is taking longer than expected, DaveShack came up with another idea. Here it is:

Originally Posted by DaveShack
Another idea just came up. How about invite-only social groups? You can have threads in there so it doesn't take up PM space or have the hassle of cc'ing lots of people. The admins wouldn't have to be bugged to create forums or create access lists that you'd have to manage. The root for the game can still be in a forum thread, which would remain at the top with no other activity -- and can be stuck if necessary. The only drawback that I've found is that all moderators can see it, so if a member of the other team is a mod it can be trouble. And you don't navigate to it in the same way.

Personally, this doesn't present a reasonable alternative. Too far out of the norm to attract new people, or keep the regulars, IMO. What does everyone else think?
So am I.
It is lot of hassel...
May be our German friends will accomodate us? Sometimes they are better organized...

Top Bottom