Vietnam

TacDev

Chieftain
I created a Vietnam civilization, please try it and give me some feedback. Civ is uploaded to the steam cloud along with the TacDev turns mod.

Screens:
Spoiler :

Future Plans:
  • Custom art for Viet Cong unit
  • Learn how to word wrap in ModBuddy to clean up civolpedia entries
  • Finish civolpedia entries for Water Puppet Theatre & Viet Cong
  • Crate blog post to help other modders with errors encountered when designing Vietnam civilization

Does the Water Puppet Theatre count as a cultural building? i.e. will I get it for free in my first 4 cities from the Tradition Policy (Legalism)?

Does the Water Puppet Theatre count as a cultural building? i.e. will I get it for free in my first 4 cities from the Tradition Policy (Legalism)?

The Water Puppet Theatre replaces the coliseum adding 3 :c5culture: to the happiness that a coliseum receives. If your city has a monument and you have the tech for Water Puppet Theatre it should appear. Although I do not know the preference chose between Temple Monastery Water Puppet Theatre etc.

What does "Dong Son" means please ?
Also, your UA is 3 :c5culture: per city versus 2 :c5culture: per city until steam engine for France, don't you think there is something wrong here?

Dong Son is the name of the Bronze Age culture which originated in present day Vietnam. I designed Vietnam to be a culture oriented civilization, just as other civs they can win in other means but they are definitely a civ too play for culture oriented players. I don't see a problem in compared too the French as the French are designed in a manner too have a military advantage in 2 eras, thus the need to limit their culture gains.

Wow ! an +1/+4/+6 advantage to culture in exchange for the musketeer, that's what I call a fair trade !
What about +1:c5culture: per city & +1 :c5culture: for each 10 citizens in the city instead ?

IMO, this would be a neat way to mimic the progressive rise of the vietnamese empire !

On a side note, from my POV, Vietnam cultural achievements are far less known than Khmers cultural achievements, hence the fact I still believe culture is not the better fit for Vietnam. One thing I know is their hydraulic engineering of the Mekong river is famous, so sthg agricultural is what I would give them but it's a matter of taste I suppose ...

Wow ! an +1/+4/+6 advantage to culture in exchange for the musketeer, that's what I call a fair trade !
What about +1:c5culture: per city & +1 :c5culture: for each 10 citizens in the city instead ?

IMO, this would be a neat way to mimic the progressive rise of the vietnamese empire !

On a side note, from my POV, Vietnam cultural achievements are far less known than Khmers cultural achievements, hence the fact I still believe culture is not the better fit for Vietnam. One thing I know is their hydraulic engineering of the Mekong river is famous, so sthg agricultural is what I would give them but it's a matter of taste I suppose ...

Yes I thought it was fair too...:mischief: France receives a culture bonus but it is clearly designed and played as a domination victory civ. Not only do they get the musketeer the dominate military unit till riflemen. They also receive Foreign Legion which receives an attack bonus when invading.

I designed them to pursue culture victory, and they are quite balanced with Polynesia one of the other main culture victory civs. The reason I did so are two part; Dong Son spread from north Vietnam through out Asia to Thailand, China, Indonesia and secondly even though they have been invaded numerous times they have maintained their cultural identity.

Cultural influence and importance definitely are a matter of perspective based on the individuals bias. I believe the bronze work of these ancient times were pivotal in influence the bronze work of China which is amazing.

Now you could make the argument and say that Dong Son is Khmer, but that is debatable and a debate that can't truly be won considering that archaeological digs of the area aren't complete, as an example their wasa point in Time when archaeologist believed Dong Son originated in China until they found bronze drums which predated those in Vietnam.

Hi, first thanks for your mod but i think you need change some things :

- Change Leader to : Great General Vo Nguyen Giap http://vi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Võ_Nguyên_Giáp (He stands on top list Great General in the world with a victory of Dien Bien Phu)

- Change UB: Water Puppet Theatre to Sword Lake and Turtle Temple (http://vi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hồ_Hoàn_Kiếm)

- Change UT to Independance Sociality: Capital gains 5 product, 3 culture , 3 science and 3 faith until the second city is established, Combat Units gain 25% power when fight in your land => It fit and base on history of VietNam.

- Change Capital of VietNam to HANOI

And finnally, plz change the flag too something like this: https://www.google.com.vn/search?q=...cp.r_qf.&fp=3e8d2e4419d42557&biw=1920&bih=981

Updated for G&K the Ha Noi issue was a work around for minor civs that i solved but forgot to change back its changed in the update. files are on steam workshop.

Also attached below for those who don't/can't use steam to download.

Attachments

• Vietnam Civilization (v 1).zip
    316.7 KB · Views: 429
Question: Is the Vietnam Civilization compatible for the latest version of Civilization V? I am using a non-Gods and Kings version from the Mac App Store. Can it that I cannot see the civilization after I loaded it up because the link I downloaded was the updated file for Gods and Kings?

If Viet Nam should not be included in Brave New World, perhaps this could be a more interesting idea for a Viet Minh or Viet Cong UU - what if the UU would be much weaker than a standard infantry but would get an ability similar to the fortress: All enemy units adjacent to it, receive a small HP reduction every turn? Perhaps only if the UU is dug in and the higher its defense bonus, the more damage it inflicts?
That would symbolize very well those ambush attacks, sabotage acts, small scale guerilla tactics and secret tunnel bases that were used in both Vietnam Wars against French (+ many Germans in the Foreign Legion) and American troops.

Yes I thought it was fair too...:mischief: France receives a culture bonus but it is clearly designed and played as a domination victory civ. Not only do they get the musketeer the dominate military unit till riflemen. They also receive Foreign Legion which receives an attack bonus when invading.

I designed them to pursue culture victory, and they are quite balanced with Polynesia one of the other main culture victory civs. The reason I did so are two part; Dong Son spread from north Vietnam through out Asia to Thailand, China, Indonesia and secondly even though they have been invaded numerous times they have maintained their cultural identity.

Cultural influence and importance definitely are a matter of perspective based on the individuals bias. I believe the bronze work of these ancient times were pivotal in influence the bronze work of China which is amazing.

Now you could make the argument and say that Dong Son is Khmer, but that is debatable and a debate that can't truly be won considering that archaeological digs of the area aren't complete, as an example their wasa point in Time when archaeologist believed Dong Son originated in China until they found bronze drums which predated those in Vietnam.

Polynesia has to settle in very specific areas and work tiles that give little other than culture for its bonus.

Your Vietnam gets massive cultural advantages far easier.

Top Bottom