Expansion pack announced - Civilization V: Gods & Kings

Just realized, this should put an end to all the pointless ranting on the fact that there hasn't been an expansion pack yet.

I think it's just pluses. so I don't think there's minuses, but then again, there's not much minuses in Civ 5 with the exception of Gold per turn and Happiness. (oh and food)

There's no downfall to policies either.

So with more gold, more happiness (assuming), more food and more hammers, games would be finished quicker? Instead adding more of stuff (ala Civ4), shouldn't there be more critical choices that we would need to make? I hope they would balance these additional bonuses with some degree of consequences.

Other than that, looking forwards to seeing the new civs and what they can offer for gameplay.

Will this expansion be patched over Civ 5 or will it be listed separately in your Steam library? I assume that it will be treated like DLC before.

Will this expansion be patched over Civ 5 or will it be listed separately in your Steam library? I assume that it will be treated like DLC before.

How does Steam normally handle expansions? That will be your answer, most likely.

How does Steam normally handle expansions? That will be your answer, most likely.

Steam does two ways: 1) separate executable, and 2) patched over the vanilla. I'm guessing since Paradox expansions are always patched over the original game, this will also be the case.

About the whole, "how can religion affect diplomacy if the leaders only care about winning" discussion.

A simple way to do it is too keep the civilization leaders as cold, pragmatic, real-politikers, but have the population of a civ care about how moral and religious their leader is. Arguably, this dichotomy has existed for large parts of history.
How could this be implemented?
Simple, every trade deal/research agreement/treaty you do gives you +/- happiness depending on whether you share a religion or not. If that has too much impact on the happiness system, make it so that it increases/reduces your culture output (to represent people's increasing/reducing wish to get involved in creating state propaganda and improvements).

Fits very well from a gameplay perspective, and arguably pretty well from a historical/immersion perspective.

There's a 3rd way. The current Civ diplo AI is more or less real-politikers with varying degrees of intensity.

They could be made to like you more if both share a religion if the religious victory conditions is such that though there can only be 1 winner, everyone who converts benefits towards the same goal. (Extra happiness for everyone, extra gold, Extra points to Religious Victory bucket, and so on) So you can still end up in a scenario where it is mutually beneficial for a civ going for a win to be friendly with someone else who converts to the same religion.

Maybe the civ that converts is going for Cultural or SS win. Why would they care? They're still competing, but on a different axis.

The devs would be making a huge huge mistake however if they turn religion into a bunch of puppet string modifiers that artificially boost relationships with another Civ to such a point that DOW can be avoided.

That said, I wouldn't be opposed to mild 'same religion' modifiers to stabilize AI behavior abit. That was one of the things I identified as a weakness to the current AI, given that there are far too few things a player can proactively do to make another Civ like them while negative relationship modifies pile higher and higher as the game drags on, making the end game extremely dicey.

Ideally, having a religion should benefit both Civs in a way that might encourage you to remain friendly with them. That would be the best of both worlds.

Although, if they bring back Holy Cities, I'd probably consider capturing it just like I did in Civ4 :D

The thing about sharing religion is this, the founder gets to pick the benefits and once taken (like the Defender of the Faith Modifier) then it isn't available to another religion. So you may want to adopt a neighbor's religion for those benefits because they benefit your play style, rather than found a new religion that has only available options you are less thrilled about.

Or put it his way, if the Iroquois found a religion they're likely to tie some benefits to Forest Tiles, and Celts would have a big incentive to adopt it because they are going to settle near a lot of forests as well. Or if the Religion is founded by the Byzantines it will have a bonus effect, so adopting the Byzantine religion will be more beneficial than others founded by other civs.

This looks like a LOT of fun coming to an already fun game.

Anybody noticed the weird 3 beaker icon at notifications? I first assumed that was the rigged election but that goes for the Espionage Icon doesn't? It's covered by the rigged Election description above the map, it's a 3 beakers icon with the "feathers" or whatever it's called.

So with more gold, more happiness (assuming), more food and more hammers, games would be finished quicker? Instead adding more of stuff (ala Civ4), shouldn't there be more critical choices that we would need to make? I hope they would balance these additional bonuses with some degree of consequences.

Other than that, looking forwards to seeing the new civs and what they can offer for gameplay.

I dont' think we understood each other, by minuses, I didn't mean "bad" features but instead something that has a negative effecton your civilization, Policies don't have a negative effect, thus, there's not much opportunity cost in Policies, if Policies were made like in Nights it would've much better in my opinion.

When I talked about the gold, happines, food, I meant that negative gold makes you broke, happiness potentially creates rebellion, and food starves your cities, not that they should be rid of, but I just listed the only 3 things in the game that have a negative side, You don't lose beakers (most of the time you can have a negative science) and culture always stacks.

Anybody noticed the weird 3 beaker icon at notifications? I first assumed that was the rigged election but that goes for the Espionage Icon doesn't? It's covered by the rigged Election description above the map, it's a 3 beakers icon with the "feathers" or whatever it's called.
Maybe something to do with a science victory? Those feathers make it look victorious.
It also looks like one of those achievement icons.
But intriguing indeed!

Maybe something to do with a science victory? Those feathers make it look victorious.
It also looks like one of those achievement icons.
But intriguing indeed!

Those feathers are used when peace is made.

Top Bottom