Welcome New Members

Hi. My handle's "Ivan Druzhkov", and I'm a 2nd-year university student in Ottawa, Canada. I'm mostly studying Soviet history, and I am a big fan of the genre called Alternate History. My first introduction to Civ was Civ II MGE a few years ago, and I've been playing Civ III on and off. I got Civ IV last week, and once I finish up with Act of War: Direct Action (which I'm writing a small walkthrough for), I'll start on Civilization.

Im a new person on this forum. I had civilization call to power a few years ago. then I found civ3 in 2003. And now I have civ4. (My story in a nutshell). so anyway I have known about this site for some time but I didnt know about the forum. I think that civ4 is cool (I strongly recomend geting it for anyone who hasnt got it).

Greetings and salutations my fellow conquerors,

When I bought my verry first PC, a whooping 75 MHz P1, and put it together.
Turning it on presented me with a fine blinking C:\> prompt.
Staring at this fine blank screen -renderd there at top speed money could buy- my firt thought was along the lines of,
Well.... this sucks.....
Fortunatly at the time I was living in a student dorm, where a lot of other geeks resided. Student dorms are not the cleanes places you can find. And that goes for _everything_ you come across there.
Within 10 minutes of instaling DOS I found myself the proud but questionable owner of my first 2 games (donated by fellow geeks seeing a PC unused as a crime against nature).
I now could turn on my pc and play warcraft and civilization.
Both games have hounted the rest of my gaming life. Games come and go, but WarCraft and Civilization will never leave.

I stayed on Civ 1, even when Civ 2 was released.
It just did not do it for me.
Civ 3 got my full attention away from Civ 1, I have not played it since.
I am bound to enjoy a lot of Civ again in the wake of it’s latest member.

Some stats;
I was founded in 1974.
I founded my first city in 1996.
And I will found Lots more.

:mischief: Often lurked around the site and forums during my Civ 3 days, finally decided it was time to register the other day now that Civ IV is around .... Been playing Civ since the days of DOS and Civ 1.

So, heya people... :)

I have been a PC junkie since grade school introduced me to the Apple IIe in the 3rd grade. I have played a lot of games in my lifetime on consoles and PCs (Atari 2600, Odessy, Coleco, Intellivision, NES, SuperNES, Nintendo 64, PlayStation, & XBOX)

My first IBM PC was an 8088. I build/repair PCs, Web Design, some graphics design, and learned how to program in VB.NET, C++, and Java last year. My current job has me supporting County Assessors with software that we design/test/install/support along with document imaging. I use a lot of XML/XSLT in creating reports for the Assessors.

I am 32 years old and I have 6 children with one on the way, so I find time to play single player games and I rarely play anything multiplayer on the Net as I rarely have the time to fully invest myself without distractions.

I found the forum recently when I was searching for something regarding CivIII, with all my past experience with games I never got into Civ until last month I bought CivIII complete and I was hooked (I need to visit CivAnon.org, I think that is my daughter in the ad in GameInformer mag). I had no idea that Civ IV wa on its way until then.

Thanks for the great community all!
Dan

'Por la razon o por la fuerza' - Chilean motto 'By right or by might!'

Ive devoted probably too much time into games over the years but there was something about Civ 1 that made me feel that i was doing something productive; building spaceships and all...

I was watching something to do with E3 and saw something about Civ 4 and shortly there after found the civfanatics site here while looking for more information. Honestly i havent played Civ 3 since i had a break in and my PC was stolen about 3 years ago (wow, already?!?). Ive been looking forward to N°4 since i found out about it.

I have a two year old now and am waiting for my second child which is due next month. Im a stay at home father and do a little bit of work on the internet. I live in France and i regret not getting some family to send me out the limited edition from Canada; right now im hoping to get it at the beginning of the week.

I am a new member, but not new to the game or site. I have been playing since civ 2 and spent the most time playing civ 3 conquests! I have been coming to this site since then, but never signed up for the forums, just read the articles and posts.

Other than about half an hour of fumbling through FreeCiv, I'm a complete newbie to Civilization. Picked up IV, and... er... sorry, gotta go, turn waiting.

Hi folks. I have been an avid gamer since the early eighties and until now, the strategy genre has passed me by. After reading about Civilization IV on various websites, I was intrigued and the idea of building a civilization from its humbe beginnings and turning it into a super power really appealed to me.
So, I decided to take the plunge this afternoon and I picked up a copy in the UK. So far I have only had a chance to install it before I had to come to work (on a late shift this evening) Although I am a complete novice when it comes to strategy games, I am really looking forward to getting stuck into Civilization IV. I must say that after reading only a small section of the weighty manual I am quite daunted, but I’m sure with a bit of perseverance and the help from this website I’ll be holding other civilizations under my sway in the days, weeks and months to come. So hello from Scotland, World domination starts tonight!

Hi there. Long time reader, first time signer upper. Been with Civ since its first incarnation. Got Civ 4 last week and been doing irreparable damage to my marriage since then ;). I finally got around most of the performance issues and thought I might be able to help out others less fortunate, so I signed up.

Hey all,
Just got game yesterday and plays suprisingly well on my cpu with gforce4 mx (was worried about that). A little choppy on intro video and ctd on wonder movies. But after switching graphics to medium the movies play pretty good. Anyway I look forward to learning alot from all these brilliant minds.

Hello All,

My name is alex, 38 years old, and a civ fan from civ I. I like IV very much! Much better then III witch i rarely played. I've played II a lot and SMAC too.
Civ IV is bringing back the pleasure of playing Civ. (One more turn!)

Greetings,
Alex

Hi!

I have CIV4 for about a week, and it's really a great game. I'm not totally new to this forum, and I'm going to hang out here more frequently.

heppcatt

I'm brand new to the entire series (I saw someone playing it once back around 1999 or 2000 though). It was very much an impulse buy when I saw it in the store this past weekend.

In the past I've played games like Master of Orion (MOO) and Master of Orion II (MOO2), which are also turn-based strategy. So I'm feeling somewhat at home in the Civ4 universe, if a bit overwhelmed at the whole thing.

Ugh... and according to XFire (nick: scrapyardbob), I've already played 31 hours! Now where did I hide that link to Civilization Anonymous...

Hi to all on CFC:goodjob:

I'm from Muenster, Germany, 42 years old, geologist.

Started the CIV Universe with CIV II and Test of Time, getting up to the middle difficulty levels.

Then get addicted to SMAC/SMAX which I play (and win) on Transcendent (=Deity) leve:D

Tried out CIV III since march of this year, but didn't get very warm with it.
I think I adopted to much "bad habits" from SMAX and get never above Warlord:cry:

Now addicted to CIV IV, which, for my opinion, is much better than CIV III:)

Greetings all! I'm obviously new here, but not to the games :D I am a quirky gamer girl from Finland. I play CIV2, CIV4 and my absolute favorite and love, Alpha Centauri. I'm trying to go up in difficulty levels currently, played too low levels for too long, got bad habits. But doing great now :goodjob:
So that's me civ-wise. Oh, and I almost allways play as the chinese.

So yup, HELLO!

My name is Garrett, and I'm a Civaholic.

The big question is, is this my 12-step program or my opium den? :)

I've been addicted since the days of Civ I, discovered CFC a couple months ago when looking for info on the upcoming Civ IV. I love the *seriousness* with which everyone here discusses the game(s). I mean, the jargon alone is almost legalistic in its complexity: REX, ICS, GPT, etc., etc. My new favorite term: "Worchop" (sorry, forgot who coined it).

My favorite strategy in Civs II and III was a swordsman or knight continent conquest, followed by Republic/Democracy and space race. Never liked the slow pace of invasion by sea. We'll see if/how Civ IV changes those habits. So far I absolutely love the game. Best strategy game ever, hands down.

/delurk

while (bored) {
postCount++;
}

return :D;

Top Bottom