Why no PSP version?

JamesT

Chieftain
I can see why a DS version makes more sense with the touch-screen commands, but why is there no PSP version being made?

Yeah, PSP games are just, well bad for the most part. You do get a couple of good games like GTA and others but many just suck out loud in general or they try too hard to be copies their PS2 counterparts even though they lack a controller and then they suck. Sony knows that not to many people have PSPs for that reason so the odds of the small market that do liking Civ is small so they don't bother wasting their money making it.

I'm surprised it's not on the PSP.

That said, I have a launch PSP that collects dust. No lie, I'm not sure where it is anymore. It seemed like I just pulled it out to play 1-2 games and that was it. The title selection has always been 2nd best. Too bad, because it's a nice system.

Yeah, my PSP sat in my basement for two years. I picked it up recently though, and I have to say, it isn't bad at all. Daxter and Final Fantasy Tactics are both very solid games, and MLB 08: The Show is fantastic. Certainly not as good as its console counterpart, but that isn't the point... this is all about playing on the go.

I think a new Final Fantasy game (not Crisis Core style) or the release of Gran Turismo would really turn things around for the system.

DS has proven it can sell strategy games. Advance Wars, Fire Emblem, Age of Empires.

Age of Empires: Age of Kings is a great TBS game on the DS, and it sold 150k copies with Zero marketing. It was released by Majesco, a tiny struggling NJ publisher who got the rights from Microsoft to make a DS game on the Age of Empires licensed and they turned it into a great TBS game.

With 2k/Firaxis behind CivRev, and a strong brand behind this game, I can see the DS version doing very well.

Sony is absolutely terrible at promoting their gaming electronics, and that is basically what it comes down too. There are many great games for the PSP, definitely more so than the DS, and the PSP is such a versatile platform that I don't understand why Sony doesn't incorporate homebrew applications into the official firmware. It's almost as if they never had a vested corporate interest in ensuring the success of the PSP.

Sony goes out of its way to deter any homebrew programs on PSPs...you know why? because they don't want people running Nintendo emulators on the PSP, because then Nintendo could sue them for enabling piracy.

As for good PSP games...I want someone to tell me 5 great PSP games that are PSP exclusive...from where I sit, every worthwhile game that's come out on the PSP has eventually come out on the PS2, or was already out on a different system(FF:Tactics)

Sony goes out of its way to deter any homebrew programs on PSPs...you know why? because they don't want people running Nintendo emulators on the PSP, because then Nintendo could sue them for enabling piracy.

Nintendo would have no case against Sony. In the same way that they can't sue Microsoft for allowing Windows emulators, they wouldn't be able to sue Sony if people used a homebrew platform to develop an emulator.

As for good PSP games...I want someone to tell me 5 great PSP games that are PSP exclusive...from where I sit, every worthwhile game that's come out on the PSP has eventually come out on the PS2, or was already out on a different system(FF:Tactics)

Well i thought Liberty City Stories was real good, oh that is not exclusive any more so....um......yeah that is the reason it is not coming out for anyone who still thinks they should release it for the PSP.

Nintendo would have no case against Sony. In the same way that they can't sue Microsoft for allowing Windows emulators, they wouldn't be able to sue Sony if people used a homebrew platform to develop an emulator.

*shrug* that's just what I heard once. It could be a completely different reason...such as Sony is ridiculously obsessed with DRM and allowing homebrew stuff would open the door to avoiding their DRM.

*shrug* that's just what I heard once. It could be a completely different reason...such as Sony is ridiculously obsessed with DRM and allowing homebrew stuff would open the door to avoiding their DRM.

Well, I'm not ignoring the piracy concerns. But, at this point, the only way for the PSP to remain a competitor is to revamp the platform entirely.

You also have to realize the PSP competition. Nintendo owns the handheld market, hands down. The game boys are cheaper and are much better for kids. It will take an amazing system to overcome the "gameboys" or "ds".. Even nintendo isn't going to release another system for a while.

because the psp is pretty much dead :p

Nice flame...

All of those people saying that the reason there isn't a PSP version because the PSP is dead or games don't sell haven't a clue what they're talking about.

The reason why there isn't a PSP version is the same reason why the Wii version was delayed and/or canceled. Resources. Since Firaxis developed CivRev completely in house they had a hard enough time co-developing 3 versions at the same time let alone 5 versions.

Hopefully there will be a Wii version and I also hope for a PSP version at some point. Graphically the PSP is much more appealing than the DS.

Sony is absolutely terrible at promoting their gaming electronics, and that is basically what it comes down too. There are many great games for the PSP, definitely more so than the DS, and the PSP is such a versatile platform that I don't understand why Sony doesn't incorporate homebrew applications into the official firmware. It's almost as if they never had a vested corporate interest in ensuring the success of the PSP.

Explain to me then how the PSP has sold over 30 million units worldwide (latest numbers in Feb. 2008). Explain how the PSP is the #1 selling console in Japan right now... if there aren't any games to play?

Pretty funny reading posts by a bunch of PC fanboys who have no clue about consoles and their sales records.

PSP is the #2 selling handheld gaming device ever. No other handheld has been able to sell as many units as the PSP besides Nintendos. Many people have tried but failed against the GameBoy. Sony at least has been able to continue to sell units while fighting off the DS.

1. God of War: Chains of Olympus
2. Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children
3. Jeanne d'Arc
4. Patapon
5. Daxter

Unless i'm mistaken Advent Children is a movie, and is not exclusive to the psp.

Top Bottom