I struggle when adopting Tradition.

I think looking at the policy cost table is easy and conclusive as far opening Tradition to pursue Liberty goes.

An early ruin or monument-first BO really only helps unlock your opener and next two social policies noticeably quickly. Early game, you culture is roughly linear, ~2-3 cpt, but cost for each policy is roughly doubling. Here's the numbers from wikia assuming standard map size and pace and just one city:

1st (opener) |2nd|3rd|4th|5th
25|45|90|160|245

Look at the jump between 3rd and 4th pick! The Tradition opener is just not enough of a culture engine to justify it on its own. The Tradition opener would have to generate 160 culture on its own, in the turns it otherwise takes you to the to the second pick in a tree. Opening Honor before Tradition or Liberty has the same challenge.

If I intend to go liberty in a game I find it to be much better to open tradition first. This allows you to grab far more tiles. It slows down liberty a little bit but the extra culture from tradition does help out.

The amount of money that you save on tiles more than justifies the policy cost IMO. Especially if you intend to try and get Monarcy after filling out liberty. Then opening tradition to start is a no-brainer.

Top Bottom