Question about the Zulus?

Athenaeum

Prince
Do their Impi retain the First Strike promotion when you upgrade them to Rifleman and stuff?

If so I feel like it would be imperative to spam Impis before they become obsolete.

They keep the buffalo promotions, but not the first strike ability. Definitely worth spamming while you can.

I agree. One of the few civs where not losing these units is imperative. The three buffalo promotions make it so that if these guys share a flanking bonus, they are nearly impossible to kill. Note that gunpowder era units and beyond don't get the buffalo proportions, so impi spam is a must.

But really, how could you play Shaka and not?

If you are upgrading Impis to Rifleman, you are doing something wrong because everyone else should be dead by that point.

If you are upgrading Impis to Rifleman, you are doing something wrong because everyone else should be dead by that point.

I hope you are aware that tiny map is not the only map size in civ5. For it can be quite difficult to conquer the entire world that's made up of islands and continents on huge map in the time period where impis is viable because you will have to factor in travel distance times.

Not true. There are times when the map doesn't allow for this at all.

Anyhow: Even thought it's a bit unfortunate that they lose the first strike promo, a carpet of buffalo-filled riflemen (or infantry for that matter) are incredibly sturdy and enjoyable. 280 gold each though.. even though I plunder and plunder the cost for upgrading an entire carpet of impis is humongous! And as others have stated: spam impis while you can, since your units won't be able to recieve the amazing buffalo promos later on.

I think MarauderCH was half joking. But IMO the buffalo impi spam is one of the only reasons to be Zulu. I was really disappointed when I built a catapult and it couldn't receive buffalo promotions. I was expecting to have catapults with 3 movement that could move, unload and fire all in the same turn. Needless to say I was disappointed.

Btw do the Zulus get the 50% less unit melee costs for naval melee units as well as land ones? Or does it only apply to land melee?

Btw do the Zulus get the 50% less unit melee costs for naval melee units as well as land ones? Or does it only apply to land melee?

If it says Melee units then I would think it applies only to land melee units unless it specifically mentions naval melee units too.. Not sure.

For germany, i know for sure that it has reduced maintenance for all land units and naval/air units is full price.

Direct from the Firaxis code:
Code:
	<Trait_MaintenanceModifierUnitCombats>
		<Row>
			<TraitType>TRAIT_BUFFALO_HORNS</TraitType>
			<UnitCombatType>UNITCOMBAT_MELEE</UnitCombatType>
			<MaintenanceModifier> -50 </MaintenanceModifier>
		</Row>
	</Trait_MaintenanceModifierUnitCombats>
This means that only Warriors, Spearmen, Pikemen, Swordsmen, and Longswordsmen are included since they are the only unit-classes that belong to UNITCOMBAT_MELEE. The Landsnecht mercenaries are also counted as they are also UNITCOMBAT_MELEE. Impi fit into the Pikeman class of units, which then fits into the larger group UNITCOMBAT_MELEE.

Bismarck's trait uses an XML command that is specifically for Land Units called LandUnitMaintenanceModifier

Direct from the Firaxis code:
Code:
	<Trait_MaintenanceModifierUnitCombats>
		<Row>
			<TraitType>TRAIT_BUFFALO_HORNS</TraitType>
			<UnitCombatType>UNITCOMBAT_MELEE</UnitCombatType>
			<MaintenanceModifier> -50 </MaintenanceModifier>
		</Row>
	</Trait_MaintenanceModifierUnitCombats>
This means that only Warriors, Spearmen, Pikemen, Swordsmen, and Longswordsmen are included since they are the only unit-classes that belong to UNITCOMBAT_MELEE. The Landsnecht mercenaries are also counted as they are also UNITCOMBAT_MELEE. Impi fit into the Pikeman class of units, which then fits into the larger group UNITCOMBAT_MELEE.

Bismarck's trait uses an XML command that is specifically for Land Units called LandUnitMaintenanceModifier
That code that civilizations have does look similar to xml.

That code that civilizations have does look similar to xml.
It is xml. Firaxis did their 'value setting' code all in xml, except where they hardcoded something into the dll. But then you have to be able to read the dll code to know what the game does when it sees xml-column-x set to a value of '27', for example. Or you have to intuit it through experimentation and comparison to the game documentation/civilopedia.

But I think much more code-talk is just going to bore the average forum member as well as hijack the original intent of the thread.

I hope you are aware that tiny map is not the only map size in civ5. For it can be quite difficult to conquer the entire world that's made up of islands and continents on huge map in the time period where impis is viable because you will have to factor in travel distance times.

I tend to play on Standard size Pangaea style maps regardless of the type of game and which civ I decide to play. Especially when playing civs like the Zulu. Why would I take an early war civ onto a Archipelago style map. On a continent map, you should at least have your continent mates crippled if not dead as early as you can, especially before you meet new civs so they don't hate you for wiping out your close neighbors.

I did play a game as the Zulu in between now and when I made my first post and it was a glorious massacre. I started on one end of a Fractal style map and didn't stop until a Impi/Crossbow horde had cleaned the map! It's all about launching a blitzkrieg and not allowing the AI to dig in!

I think MarauderCH was half joking. But IMO the buffalo impi spam is one of the only reasons to be Zulu. I was really disappointed when I built a catapult and it couldn't receive buffalo promotions. I was expecting to have catapults with 3 movement that could move, unload and fire all in the same turn. Needless to say I was disappointed.

Start at Archers and as they get to crossbows they should be able to fire twice from three tiles away. The rain of fire they will be able to unload will be unstoppable as long as you have a horde of impis there to take damage.

Top Bottom