This is a Pangaea??

BobiB420

Warlord
So I'm trying for a standard/emperor domination @ T150 on Pangaea, and the game throws this at me:

Spoiler :

The heck? that is not, IMO, a proper Pangaea. Not only is there a HUGE inland sea, but it very strongly looks like 3 sub-continents mushed together, with an entirely seperate continent off to the east. not an island. a continent. Needless to say it's nigh impossible to march your armies around a freakin' donut and dominate within 150 turns, or even 200 turns for that matter!

As for the image itself, you can thank Firaxis for removing World Builder from the game as a separate entity, and that no matter what I seem to do to it, it refuses to operate correctly. Fire Tuner? yea, right.. Do they realize that their Help tab link for the Fire Tuner wiki points to a domain selling site? I got fed up and just used replay map to get a better idea, and it turns out what I thought in-game was not far from the truth.

In-game world builder, that's what I expected when I first played Civ5. Instead you have to download it, as a separate entity from the game, wtf?? Civ 4 I wouldn't use the WB to cheat my way to victory, I would use it at the start of the game to briefly peek the overall map in the mini-map window to make sure I wasnt about to play a fugly map, which Civ4 was known for doing. No, i never submitted Civ4 games. Didn't join 'till recently.

If your curious, the settings are defaults (exception of Arid, which still gave me a buttload of forest anyway), with world age set to 5k to reduce hills. Oceans medium (default). I applaud them for making a "fun" game, but at the same time they really should have done more homework on hex-based games.

This map is fail. :badcomp:

On a side note, Byzantium was positioned in a way that they had access to a technical in-land ocean, not the main in the center, a tiny one to the west of them. Even though she knew her city was landlocked, she still chose to fill about every water tile with ships.

The AI... it is strange.:crazyeye:

Pangea allows very varied maps, that is why a lot of players use it as "standart" map. You will get a very large continent, water around it, but that's pretty much it. I think even the description reads "varied supercontinet" or sth. along the lines. Also considering Pangea is based on plate tectonics it would even make sens to have inland seas and sometimes a seperate landmass of coast (a sign that not all tectonic plates moved together yet). If you want only landmasses to conquer your enemies fast, play "Great Plains" or "North America" map scrtipt ;)

Btw, your seperate landmass is connected by coast tiles, get sailing and start conquering (but there are only CS on that island?). Also note that "Pangea Plus" INCREASES the change to get islands off coast (I think this map script makes that mandatory) FYI.

If you want the world builder back in game, use the In Game Editor mod, pure awesomesauce I've gotta say. Gives you everything the world builder would give you too.

The heck? that is not, IMO, a proper Pangaea. Not only is there a HUGE inland sea, but it very strongly looks like 3 sub-continents mushed together, with an entirely seperate continent off to the east.:

That is exactly what a Pangaea is, the real Pangaea was all our continents mashed together...

If you look at maps of Pangaea as it has begun to split apart (but whilst it is still Pangaea) it has large inland seas and some islands.

You might not like that map, but it is still most defiantly Pangaea.

How about a continents map where you start on a 1-2 tile wide strip, with 5 other civs on your continent?

The best part was the desert both north and south of the start location, giving practically no expansion options without seriously overextending myself.

If you want the world builder back in game, use the In Game Editor mod, pure awesomesauce I've gotta say. Gives you everything the world builder would give you too.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Where? WHERE? OMG, my KINGDOM for that mod!!!

You both make good points, I suppose I'm just used to the pangaea from Civ 4, which was a rounded central landmass with very little interior water, if any.

azzaman333 if I were you on that map, I would've scouted before plopping down the capital, as I usually do. Send the warrior north and settler south, or vice versa, before making a final decision. Once finding Japan, I can tell you that I would've settled in the desert as close to him as possible, to make for easy absorption and to prevent him from taking over the world. Plus petra for your second city is always a nice bonus.

I only settle turn 0 if I get one of those wonderful petra starts, other than that I will scout up to 25 turns (marathon) or 15 turns (standard) to find a suitable location, preferably near another Civ to make for easy acquisition. :assimilate:

Losing more than 1 turn to settle your cap (as a bad thing) is highly overrated, as generally if you have a reason to settle in the location you picked, it's because it's a much better start then where you spawned.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Where? WHERE? OMG, my KINGDOM for that mod!!!

Here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=77002777&searchtext=in+game+editor
And here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=436912

Feel free to re-enjoy the CIV experience. Great for debugging btw.

PS: FISH ON MOUNTAIN RANGE, EPICNESS +1! As it is not an CIV module but an external modul you can do stuff you are not supposed to. Results may vary, but fun is guranteed.

All credit for this awesome mod goes to DonQuiche

azzaman333 if I were you on that map, I would've scouted before plopping down the capital, as I usually do. Send the warrior north and settler south, or vice versa, before making a final decision. Once finding Japan, I can tell you that I would've settled in the desert as close to him as possible, to make for easy absorption and to prevent him from taking over the world. Plus petra for your second city is always a nice bonus.

I only settle turn 0 if I get one of those wonderful petra starts, other than that I will scout up to 25 turns (marathon) or 15 turns (standard) to find a suitable location, preferably near another Civ to make for easy acquisition. :assimilate:

Losing more than 1 turn to settle your cap (as a bad thing) is highly overrated, as generally if you have a reason to settle in the location you picked, it's because it's a much better start then where you spawned.

My capital was the only decent city location without travelling into the extremely cramped area of the continent. Petra is only a factor if you can build it, and I wasnt really in any sort of position to do so.

Have to take your word on the scenario since replay maps don't show resources, but even if a cap 4 tiles from japan in the desert doesn't have much to offer, it still would allow you to take his city from him, which probably had good enough resources to annex. 2 warriors and 2 archers are all you need to take an early-game city. 3 archers if the target is on a hill.

I would've liked to play that map, and do exactly what you wanted to avoid, plopping down right in the middle of those 5 ai. because of the positioning you could've nailed those 4 civs with relative ease, using your central territory to provide the healing power needed for such an undertaking. Only real concern would've been Japan, because his SA makes fighting him a pain, especially if he is beyond warriors/archers.

I prefer being squished between AIs, as I don't have to build a crap city somewhere to serve as an assault base. hate it when the nearest AI is 20+ tiles away, usually happens because the CS spawns right where you don't want them to be.

How about a continents map where you start on a 1-2 tile wide strip, with 5 other civs on your continent?

The best part was the desert both north and south of the start location, giving practically no expansion options without seriously overextending myself.

Note how 2 civs got isolated starts on fair size continents... that would have been an interesting game...

I got you beat. Pangaea had inland oceans and seas that were not connected, and there was no north or south passages thru the ice at the poles, even for a submarine. It kind of looked like 2 or 3 spiders with their legs splayed out. I'll try to figure out how to post a screen shot tonight.

I didn't meet some of the CS's until I discovered Satellites, then the only way to get to them was to use a Great Prophet like a scout.

It was a fun game :)

ETA: Here's a screenshot of the map. (I was India) It was actually a good start because it was very defensible early on. Would have been *awesome* if my 2nd city hadn't been beat out of Petra, but it still had 4 fish tiles so it was okay and Desert Folklore got me a religion.

Try the Oval map.

It's a pangaea and still quite irregular, but a bit more 'tidied up'.

does pangaea still guarantee all AI are on the same continent?

It is actually quite common to find the CS off-continent but you don't need them to win Dom victory. That is an unusually large island though! :)
Yes it does.

That first map would be cool to play on. Maybe the 150 turn clear isn't feasible, but that's part of the fun of the game, adapting to situations.

pangäa is a highly random map where min 70%+ of the land mass is conected by min a 1 tile land conection and all civ's start on there
The problem of that is that if u playe multiplayer on it some players have isolation and therefore win the game so in multiplayer u use NQ Pangäa or other maps with less random stuff

pangäa is a highly random map where min 70% of the land mass is conected by min a 1 tile land conection(this tile can be a mountain) and all civ's start on there.
Then you will have modded your game a little. I have too, but the original value is 84 or 86% (forgot the exact original value) that'll belong to the same landmass. Any one tile connection will never be a mountain, because any mountain adjacent to coast automatically gets flattened to a hill, at least in the Pangaea mapscript - it doesn't happen in all mapscripts, not in the Fractal or Continents mapscript, for example, but also in island maps like Small Continents and Archipelago coastal mountains get flattened.
All civs start on the same landmass on a Pangaea, yes.

Top Bottom