what's your perfect starting location?

I'm not sure what you're getting at. Petra doesn't work on Plains tiles. If you mean regular desert tiles are like plains, they're not. The hills are good for mining, the regular desert tiles aren't good for anything.

He's right though, it does make flat desert better than flat plains. Petra makes flat desert tiles 1 :c5food: 1 :c5production: 1 :c5gold: without improvements, which is already better than non-riverside plain (gold). With a farm it becomess 2 :c5food: 1 :c5production: 1 :c5gold: and later 3 :c5food: 1 :c5production: 1 :c5gold:. Add Desert Folklore for 1 :c5faith: and you get a pretty good yield from desert.

Anyway I'm surprised nobody posted a picture. I'll try something in Worldbuilder.

On a hill
near a river
next to a coast
beside a mountain wonder (to build mountain wonders)
bunch of wheat (on floodplains) and hills nearby
in a giant area alone
bunch of ancient ruins nearby
gold, silver, uranium, aluminum, any resource

On a hill.
Next to a river.
Next to a mountain wonder.
Well away from the jungle.
With Alex nearby, so I am guaranteed some puppeted cities without accruing the warmonger penalty.

I just got it.

On a hill, next a mountain and desert. With river tiles (would have liked flood plains but lets not be greedy). Whales, Truffles x 2, Gold, Horses, Iron, Oil and enough plain tiles to build 2 academys and a manufactory. Only thing missing was Aluminium.

and before anyone points out, yes I could have won this a hundred turns ago it's just so nice to play something this good I wanted it to last so I decided I would go domination win.

Attachments

• Russia on a desert.jpg
    Russia on a desert.jpg
    387 KB · Views: 857
It depends who you're playing as. An Incan dream start would be a nightmare for England, and vice versa.

Being somewhat realistic here, not going too far fetched.

On a river, on the coast, mountain in range, at least 2 luxuries, marble, el dorado nearby,
oh and LOTS of uranium nearby...

River, salt, deer, stone/marble. Pantheon boost to deer, salt is a gamewinner by itself, stoneworks on multiple quarries rocks. Early strong city wins the game, it's like dropping a difficulty level. Alternatively faith boost to quarries for religious auto-spam.

Top Bottom