Will diplomacy be fixed with the expansion?

Jim Bro

Emperor of Quebec
Does anyone know if the diplomacy will be fixed with the expansion Brave New World?

I know we will have archeology, international routes, tourism but to me the problem is not the lack of options but rather things like:

- You make choices and at the end of the game, nothing can be changed. Once an enemy, an enemy forever. At the end of a game, the dilemna is between stacking units and pressing enter or attacking and attacking. Pretty lame, long and boring. I wish the civs would come up with something new and unpredictable or at least change their attitude towards me for some reasons.

- Civs never agree to give tributes. That I never understood. Some people told me they do but it never happened to me in 500+ hours of play.

- Civ A is nuked and destroyed with only one city left. I sign a peace treaty with it. Civ A still dares to denounce me. Mmmm. Didn't you get a lesson?

- The denouncing always bothered me because no reason is mentioned.

- Religion and spying is empty and shallow. The purposes of Inquisitors and spreading religion to other civs???

- Civs who always have hated me asking for help in a far away war that I have no interests in.

Etc. Etc. Etc.

Can someone tell me if those issues will be addressed or we will only get new civs and bad scenarios like we're used to? Any WWII scenario?? I don't care about freaking Sejong and Pachacuti!

1) You can eventually become friends with an enemy. Modifiers usually wear off after 50 turns. Though it's not super common to become bffs with your neighbor.

2) I don't do it much, but tributes require you to have a strong army relative to other civs. And the units need too be close to the CS.

3) They hate you for killing them, so they denounce you. Seems justified to me.

4) Religion is actually a pretty deep system in the game. There are a lot of different options to customize your religion with(sadly, many of them are never chosen because of ineffectiveness) and spreading your religion requires a good deal of planning. Spreading your religion enhances the +%X for each follower/city/etc... Inquisitioners protect your cities from other religions and can extinguish a Holy City.

5) Spying is pretty bad, but I don't really care about having tech stolen from me. And if I'm going for a diplo victory, coups generally don't bother me too much.

Can't tell you what will be addressed in BNW since I don't follow that stuff religiously.

- You make choices and at the end of the game, nothing can be changed. Once an enemy, an enemy forever. At the end of a game, the dilemna is between stacking units and pressing enter or attacking and attacking. Pretty lame, long and boring. I wish the civs would come up with something new and unpredictable or at least change their attitude towards me for some reasons.

Unless it's Nappy, in which case you're either besties or at war :mischief:

- Civs never agree to give tributes. That I never understood. Some people told me they do but it never happened to me in 500+ hours of play.

I just comply with their request, "If you want that, you'll have to come and take it from me."

- Civ A is nuked and destroyed with only one city left. I sign a peace treaty with it. Civ A still dares to denounce me. Mmmm. Didn't you get a lesson?

I'm surprised they don't try to DoF me, so they can demand some good from me :lol:

- Civs who always have hated me asking for help in a far away war that I have no interests in.

They're looking for anyone to help them, not that surprising.

Can someone tell me if those issues will be addressed or we will only get new civs and bad scenarios like we're used to? Any WWII scenario?? I don't care about freaking Sejong and Pachacuti!

We know about a CiVil war scenario, and a rush for Africa scenario. And if you don't care about two extremely significant civilizations of history, you can always mod them into some other American leaders :king:

Yea I am not really comfortable with some of the ways diplomacy seems to work. For one, there are unnecessary penalties for defeating an enemy. It should be more complex than it is. If I am playing isolationist-mind-my-own-business and a nation declares war on me and I wind up capturing his cities, what usually happens is everyone denounces me and calls ME a warmonger. Ridiculous! They should rather be mildly afraid of me or less likely to declare war.

Yeah it's so unrealistic like. After Hitler started attacking every other country on his continent, like the Americans and Russians decided to join the war and . What. The. Hell. Man??

Its strikes me wierd that I can work behind the scenes, but in the open, to work against a civ.
Had one at war with a CS, I kept feeding it advanced units. You would think the Civ would start to wonder where this CS, that was fighting with sticks, all of a sudden got mech infantry and subs from.

Yeah the diplomacy is really weird in this game. The A.I gets pissed off from everething it seems

Making cities pisses them off.
Having close boreders pisses them off.
Building wonders pisses them off.
Going to war pisses them off.
Not going to war pisses them off, if they asked you to help them.
When they ask you to go to war and you do go but conquer some cities pisses them off.
Geting close to win the game pisses them off.
Not giving them free stuff when they ask for it pisses them off.
Being friends with cs pisses them off.

And once they're pissed off they remain that way no matter what you do.

The denounciation thing mind bogles me. Sometimes it comes completly out of the blue that I wonder WTF did i do?!?!?!
I mean I had close borders with Dido, I didn't try to declare war or anything, I even had some trade agreements with her, then sudently BANG dido has denounced me.
I get that she wanted my lands but had no army to take them, but she was FRIENDLY with me before the denouncing. And the ridiculous thing is...even after denouncing me IT STILL SAID FRIENDLY.

Also just as the op said, if i leave the A.I with one city left and we get an unstable peace, isn't it stupid to denounce me?! I mean why would he taunt me like that instead of trying to get on my good side?

How hard would it be in this day and age to have the denouncement come with a reason? And for you to be able to denounce for reasons?

They have some diplomatic options like "stop spying on me" or "don't covert me, bro". But you should be able to say these things before you have a tech stolen or before they convert your city.

You should be able to say, "Don't attack city states, yo!" or "don't attack my friend, yo!"

Stuff like that should be built in.

I still want to see (and maybe it's somewhere) the lovely graphic with all the leader's faces and the little red and green and yellow lines connecting them so you can see what's what... and you should be able to pull this up automatically every time someone asks to be your friend, or open borders or what not.

I also am not sure why I DOW'd egypt. Then we made peace, and suddenly he's my best friend. To me, that makes less sense than making peace and then getting denounced.

How hard would it be in this day and age to have the denouncement come with a reason? And for you to be able to denounce for reasons?

They have some diplomatic options like "stop spying on me" or "don't covert me, bro". But you should be able to say these things before you have a tech stolen or before they convert your city.

You should be able to say, "Don't attack city states, yo!" or "don't attack my friend, yo!"

Stuff like that should be built in.

I still want to see (and maybe it's somewhere) the lovely graphic with all the leader's faces and the little red and green and yellow lines connecting them so you can see what's what... and you should be able to pull this up automatically every time someone asks to be your friend, or open borders or what not.

I also am not sure why I DOW'd egypt. Then we made peace, and suddenly he's my best friend. To me, that makes less sense than making peace and then getting denounced.

The web is available if you get the InfoAddict mod. It also provides several graphs to assist in your efforts.

Top Bottom