Wait a minute... what is the problem with CIV1/2/3 corruption already ?

There were occasions when you would spawn close to an aggressive AI where rush tactics were used. (ex: sword rush). When it did occur upon success human would basically start the massive REX later than normal but have a lot more cities to found before hitting the second AI opponent.

And what would have happened if there have been another ring of aggressive AIs ?

I left out at any point where you had a good enough economy to found a vacant city going on a conquest spree. (But even more so since a conquered city would retain enough inferstructure to get what it needed to pay for itself quicker than a brand new city when kept)

As well as with Civ3. (yummy, free settler, free pop, free buildings, free resources etc.) Just mattered if you had the army for it, just like with Civ4.

But basically what the intention of Civ III Corruption / Civ IV maintenance cost / Civ V global happiness was to act as a brake to expansion without being a stone wall.

Why to brake expansion ? It's a natural tendency of humans.

However, that may not be systematized, it was more a phenomenon than a will. From this perspective new settlements should be done within a system that is independent from the player's will but that you can influence, like culture.

From a pure gameplay perspective, I guess this has been put on to contain the randomness of the random map generator : if you start in a vast land that you can settle, you will have a huge advantage on the guys who started close, with few land to expand and high competition such as wars. (consuming units, aka hammers aka turns dedicated to war instead of growth) If expansion is not limited, you will have early super powers that could steamroll everything. That could be interesting (for a simulation of AIs) if it was not just about starting location pure luck.

Corruption helps hindering that, because the potential of a massive settled land would be far less important than without corruption, to the point it more or less equals the one of tinier nations.

Civ III's model was totally ineffective as a brake. No improvement to AI tactics would change found all the cities you can as quick as you can away from optum strategy. Improved tactics with AI actually make you want to found the same number of cities faster so you can build/rush walls in the border.

You still want a ton of cities in Civ4, and in Civ5 too. The more the better. You just can't do it every time. (more, more money, more, more happiness !)

More aggressive and closer AIs would make you weight the fact that if you expand the fastest possible, you will be vulnerable :

* During the time you build settlers (and workers), you don't build military units nor even buildings or wonders.
* Building settlers stop your growth, and that multiplied by x can make you dangerously behind at an instant t. This is the reality of the simulation.
* Those two effects combine.

For IV, it only took a few games to from experience know what the effect of the next would be, but just never founding another city when already needing 70% of income was already going to maintenance was sufficient.
(Someone worked out the math that 30% going to science with more cities was often better than fewer cities with 50% to 60% going to science)

I never did because it was just not there. I was enduring the effects and was just shouting later "WHAT ? BANKRUPT ?" what made me limit for future games but i never always knew where was the optimal play. A good game was luck basically. And that's partially because of this percentage that meant nothing.

My apologies. There are just so many people who started with Civ5 that I find it safer to assume someone hasn't played Civ4 and risk apologizing if I'm wrong than to assume they have and risk losing them in a conversation.
True.

Huh, strange, in my multiplayer group, we usually were willing to trade gold to make up for slight beaker imbalances in deals (I'm talking +/- 100 beakers, we used a sort of unwritten debt thing for anything bigger, or just flatout refused the trade), usually in the form of a ludicrous exchange rate.

My point is that the trade screen offering it doesn't make gold valuable. Treasury being a lease on science penalties if you run a deficit at 0 is making gold valuable, which is why you and your associates want it in trades.
When counting up the uses of money, you can't count the trade screen.

Golden Ages don't affect science in V. Maybe they don't need to affect money. If they affected certain measures that didn't feed back it wouldn't explode. GAs are WLTKDs in IV... maybe....
Maybe GAs are empire, triggered by the maintenance kind of money, and then it increases culture and production/the other kind of money. Except those effects increase the yields in each city which triggers WLTKD (instead of acquiring certain resources, which is a minigame according to the designers). This can't take advantage of your definition of city wealth being the Towns, though, which I like.

... or the reverse. WLTKD are like CivIV GAs , and when they occur you get the food, maybe production, and not bonus commerce , and also <the thing> that turns up the GA meter , which triggers empire-wide culture and science and money commerce bonuses.
So if commerce is tied to <the thing>, then the empire GAs must concretely increase just science, culture, and money; but if it isn't tied, the empire GAs can be commerce-increasing. WLTKD responds to local city needs and is middlingly rare; empire GAs are highly uncommon naturally but there are choices that gift them of course , and prodigiously frequent WLKTDs can multiply natural GAs.

... for which, it sounds right to use an idea I think from this thread? Or is it a mod, I can't even remember. About balancing a set of needs for each city, poverty, food, health... boredom... all these things. Each city has a greatest need, and they determine local happiness , in place of Colosseums (which address only boredom). It's balanced to weight each one believably, and to get more difficult the larger you are / as time passes (technology), and in a certain limit, to make happiness essentially impossible and then you re fighting unhappiness. And the happiness gradually modifies the yields.
I'd like to smash the double-Golden Age idea into this one , see what turns up.

I didn't address your city-states point because that post got too long. City-states should definitely be overhauled: in their current state, because they only make buildings after their first worker and two or three military units, they essentially construct everything they want within a few turns of it being available, so rushbuy is pointless of them, and they make enough money on their own to afford all the upgrades they want. They do not actually _use_ any of the gifts they get sent, be they military units, Great People, or gold, because they are such non-players.
Make city-states something human players could (and would) play, and you'll simultaneously address the "gifted gold not used by city states" problem.

But then they're not "minor civs". There must be some middle ground of being something that -seems- to be playing the game, but it really isn't. Something that cares about certain things more than the barbarians. At first blush, maybe the new money system (plus a return of commerce) could mean gifting one of the forms of money , one that -is- believably valuable to the CS. There is also the CSD diplomacy mod which emphasize envoy units (and free up a role for the Great Merchant).

In C-Evo, the designer stands against Barbarians because "they can't win, so they can't behave intelligently." He missed the point on that one, sadly. Barbarians are environmental hazards, they're not A.I.s (in the sense of his big plug'n'play AI project), so yeah they'll act different. Barbarians want to pillage. They can't build anything. They want the food and wealth of your empire, because they're incapable (or unwilling) to form their own. Maybe they have upkeep, I dunno. That's exactly their difference from City-States, which have empires, but they don't want to multiply across the land, and don't want land. They don't have ambition. As a result of these three things, they make peace easily, they don't start wars unless abused, and don't try to settle anything other than their ancestral territory. These consequences are overshot in some ways, though. They may be too passive. And not wanting to win doesn't mean they don't have a cultural identity, or a "grand strategy" in a sandbox sense.

CSs just need to be made without a drive to settle, to make spaceships, and to take your land. Wanting population, culture, or to not be attacked/occupied, would seem to be enough to give them some rudimentary drives. Interesting these correspond to the initial CS types. Mercantiles don't work because they don't trade for anything with wealth; but maybe if they wanted to have a -rich city- there'd be something for them to do. Religious CS I don't even.

However, that may not be systematized, it was more a phenomenon than a will. From this perspective new settlements should be done within a system that is independent from the player's will but that you can influence, like culture.

From a pure gameplay perspective, I guess this has been put on to contain the randomness of the random map generator : if you start in a vast land that you can settle, you will have a huge advantage on the guys who started close, with few land to expand and high competition such as wars. (consuming units, aka hammers aka turns dedicated to war instead of growth) If expansion is not limited, you will have early super powers that could steamroll everything. That could be interesting (for a simulation of AIs) if it was not just about starting location pure luck.
Civilization games were never meant to act as historic simulations, they were simply just strategy games dressed up in human history, with the occasional macroscopic parallels (eg. democratic civs will tend to go to war less). If you want historic simulations, the best I can think of are Crusader Kings 2 (with HIP or CK2+) or Victoria 2 (with PDM), and even those have some huge, huge flaws that hold them back from being completely accurate (eg. CK2's neverending population for soldiery or Victoria 2's idiotic Capitalists who build steel mills instead of cigar factories in regions with only tobacco provinces). EU4 has so many flaws that it's less historically accurate than a game of Ryse and Fall in Civ4.

Braking expansion is done to open up gameplay possibilities. Without an expansion break, the person who expands the most wins, which would mean that 500-turn games would be decided in the first 50 turns. If expansion is braked, options of not expanding whenever you get the chance become viable, and thus lead to the types of decisions that should make a Civ game engaging, eg. "Do I build a settler now and settle my next city there, or do I strengthen my empire before settling that spot and hope it doesn't get taken by someone I can't defeat, or do I don't even consider settling my next city?"

You still want a ton of cities in Civ4, and in Civ5 too. The more the better. You just can't do it every time. (more, more money, more, more happiness !)
Though you may want a ton of cities in Civ4, you definitely don't want to settle them all immediately, otherwise you'll fall behind in tech due to the commerce hit from maintenance.
In Civ5, you don't want a ton of cities unless you're specifically going for an ICS strategy. This is because of flat global unhappiness from number of cities (in addition to total population) coupled with the ludicrous Tradition policy branch and the much larger city work radius (36 tiles in Civ5 vs. 20 tiles in Civ4/3/2/1) means you really only want 4 to 5 non-puppet cities until you've unlocked your ideology. Unlike Civ4, you also want to acquire the cities you want as soon as possible, because settled cities can defend themselves and because 1UPT makes armies' power diminish at higher unit count (a 12-warrior army is not twice as strong as a 6-warrior army), so having a lower unit count while you make your settlers is not that big of a deal.

* During the time you build settlers (and workers), you don't build military units nor even buildings or wonders.
* Building settlers stop your growth, and that multiplied by x can make you dangerously behind at an instant t. This is the reality of the simulation.
* Those two effects combine.
I'll just ignore Civ5 for now, since 1UPT, the instant availability of rushbuy, and the fact that cities don't need garrisons to defend themselves kind of ruins both of your points immediately.

In Civ4/3/2/1, you could definitely start off by churning out warriors instead of trying to go for settlers. In fact, it's probably the ideal way to play (well, I found it that way after a few experiments with four warrior starter), especially in multiplayer (from what I've heard, the first 100 turns are usually permanent warfare). However, not only does unit maintenance start racking up after a while, but building military units does not actually get you any bonus beakers until you take someone's city, so if you gambit by always building two or three extra military units instead of a settler each time, you will fall behind on tech immediately, making your two or three warrior advantage pointless when they have four axemen instead of four warriors.
Building production instead of settler production also has its disadvantages in that you usually don't have access to that many buildings early in the game when you might be spamming out settlers to start your city advantage, and going for buildings instead of military units leaves you just as vulnerable as going for settlers instead of military units, with the added detriment of not gaining an extra city. As for wonder production, I found that wonders in Civ4 weren't always as vital to strategies as they are in Civ5, so missing out on wonders early on was not a crippling disadvantage. Wonders would also take one or two settler's worth of production and have just as little military value as two settlers (with military wonders being equivalent to two new cities producing units), so buildings wonders instead of settlers is just not a viable alternative if there are no expansion speedbumps.
You're also forgetting the bit where excess food adds to settler production, so cities with low production but a lot of food production might actually be able to make settlers faster than military units.

The penalty of settlers stopping growth is not that important at higher levels of population; indeed, when you're actually nearing your happiness (and health) cap, you want your settlers to stop growth. All Civ games have some sort of city population limiter, and when you near that limit, you definitely want your growth stopped, so point 2 is not a factor in cities you actually want to create settlers with.

I never did because it was just not there. I was enduring the effects and was just shouting later "WHAT ? BANKRUPT ?" what made me limit for future games but i never always knew where was the optimal play. A good game was luck basically. And that's partially because of this percentage that meant nothing.
You can blame your failures on the fact that Civ4's UI did not display the necessary information (since this is true), but you cannot say that its system, if the player is notified of it properly, is not effective.
Heck, now that you know how it works, maybe you could try going and playing a few games of Civ4 with your newfound knowledge and see if you opinion changes.

<Double post breaks up a reply that would be waaay to long; mods, merge away if you think it should be merged with the previous reply>

When counting up the uses of money, you can't count the trade screen.
It's still functions as a currency: something that everyone values, even if how much they value a given amount of it can vary (or not, in the case of Civ5's unmodded AI). If you want to equalize a deal, gold is always there as an option, even when there is nothing else. No other yield or currency in the game has this property. You could argue that beakers kind of does when you can trade techs, but a tech's value to a player is not necessarily representative of the beakers needed to research it: for example, Sailing for a landlocked civ is worth less than for one that isn't landlocked, techs that give bonuses to the first player (religions, free GPs, free techs) who acquires can be worth more when researched than when acquired through trade, and techs that improve the yield of certain improvements are worth more or less than their beaker cost depending on how much you rely on those improvements.

Golden Ages don't affect science in V. Maybe they don't need to affect money. If they affected certain measures that didn't feed back it wouldn't explode. GAs are WLTKDs in IV... maybe....
WLTKDs in Civ4 made you not have to pay maintenance for that city for a duration of turns, IIRC. Not having to pay maintenance increases your commerce, which still feeds into gold, which would feed back into your proposed GA change.

<snip of thinking out loud of how to get maintenance currency to feed into golden age bonuses>
You may be overcomplicating things. Civ4's systems were usually great because they derived maximum value/depth from a small amount of modifiers, with the added bonus of those small amounts of modifiers being a lot easier to comprehend as a whole than Civ5's goulash of bonuses and effects. Adding more currencies, more modifiers, and more special rules does not seem like the way to continue making the same types of great design decisions.
The original goal was to give gold currency some sort of use other than upgrading units, buying units and buildings, buying tiles (assuming we keep that from Civ5), paying army maintenance, paying city maintenance (assuming we keep that from Civ4), covering science losses (directly in Civ5, indirectly in Civ4 through allowing more turns of higher % commerce to science), and acting as a diplomatic currency (I'm including CS gifts with the last one); if we're going back to commerce from Civ4, gold also covers turns with higher cultural spending and turns with higher espionage spending, while with corporations, gold also covers possible high corporation maintenance.
The reason for it was to give commerce loss from city maintenance a way to further impact the player's options instead of just through temporary loss of gold currency and/or beakers.
One of the more simpler, but possibly easiest to mess up, solutions would be to have random events pop up throughout the game, where paying gold from the treasury can either negate a permanent negative effect, enable a permanent positive effect, and/or allow for more choice in effects. The reason this could possible be bad is that it's very easy for players to feel cheated in the first and second case (much like how player with terrible starts may feel cheated on turn 1, only the random events could happen halfway through the game), while it may be quite difficult to properly balance the third case, since you would need to make both paying options and free options equally viable for players with enough gold (so both could end up being the "correct" choice, even if one costs gold currency).

But then they're not "minor civs". There must be some middle ground of being something that -seems- to be playing the game, but it really isn't.
[...]
CSs just need to be made without a drive to settle, to make spaceships, and to take your land. Wanting population, culture, or to not be attacked/occupied, would seem to be enough to give them some rudimentary drives. Interesting these correspond to the initial CS types.
It's always weird to see Jerusalem or Vatican City and know that those cities can never be the holy cities of any religion.

CS's might not be "minor civs", but I argue that if they were, it would make the game more interesting while also removing the gamification factor from gifting to CS's. My solution would probably be a bit too drastic to know its effects without playtesting:
  1. Everyone starts as city-state in the ancient era and can get "promoted" to a major civ through any "special" action, such as founding a religion, building a wonder, creating a GP, conquering another city-state, settling a new city, or convincing another city-state to join forces. For example, if Edinburgh (Celts) builds Stonehenge, they become a major, and if Mecca (Arabia) founds Islam, they become a major. Once the initial <limit> of major civs have been determined, the requirements for getting "promoted" to major become incredibly difficult to achieve.
  2. Similar to promotion, majors that really fall behind can get demoted to city-states, which not only gives a strong city-state a promotion to "major", but also gives the ailing ex-major civ a chance to catch up through the fact that they are now a city-state that other majors will vie for power over.
  3. While majors play with the usual goals of Civilization in mind, the goal of minor civs becomes to stay alive, get promoted to major, or to be on the winning team when the game ends. Minor civ types are differentiated by the way their AI wants to be promoted to major, but a human minor civ could feasibly choose any path.
  4. Minors can be vassalized, though they can still be freed or made to swap overlords in diplomatic deals between majors and/or through the aggressor major convincing the minor to switch (once again, through diplomacy), which the overlord can treat as a declaration of war from the aggressor.
  5. Gifts to minor civs will help them achieve their goal of promotion to major while also currying you favor with them.
  6. When a minor civ you are allied with is promoted, they either become your ally or your vassal depending on factors TBD. This means that it's still a good idea to get allied city-states promoted to majors, even if it would mean losing a CS ally.
  7. Minor civs can adopt policies and ideologies just like majors, with ideological tenets that revolve around minors possibly being altered to take advantage of this fact and minor-only bonuses added to certain tenets to make all ideologies viable for minors (Order would not be as viable to them otherwise).
  8. Minor civs can have more than one city, but they must all be puppets (Venice-style). They could also get a TBD penalty to settler production and/or to per-city happiness to disincentivize them from expanding. Minor AIs are willing to give up extra cities in diplomatic deals, with unfair deals counting as bullying.
As a side note, allowing city-states to unify into a major civ would be quite neat to see, especially given how it sort of models a lot of historical unifications (eg. Germany, Italy, Canada).

Huh, so you could spread cities indefinitely? I usually had to stop after a while depending on the map, since I was afraid of runaway maintenance without a Forbidden Palace.

With good pacing, yes; my first post within this thread describes the series of mini-REXs used when founding cities within Civ IV.

And what would have happened if there have been another ring of aggressive AIs ?

REX to intended pre war first position, rush an army, wait for the fireworks between your aggressive AI and the one behind them to weaken them both, then you intervene to easily conquer the closer one. Rinse repeat if there is yet another ring of aggressive AIs behind them.

Because it would be boring and be no challenge if there was no built in game mechanic to slow you down.

With Civ V BNW, there indeed is a number of cities you can reach in which any new city would actually slow you down. Before then there is a point where it has little effect. (Per city science increase.) Even without this, there is a severe penalty in Civ V for self founding cities [never being able to build another national wonder]
In addition within Civ V, typical victories are won too soon. (The point at which the expenses into starting a new city can't be made up before you win is much earlier than in previous versions.)

It's still functions as a currency: something that everyone values, even if how much they value a given amount of it can vary (or not, in the case of Civ5's unmodded AI).

Do you mean a currency like an actual, world currency?
Those have value because people live in a society with each other. You don't live in a society with your rivals in this game. You are upending society in this game by eliminating them. There is every reason -not- to afford value to a "currency" between you.

WLTKDs in Civ4 made you not have to pay maintenance for that city for a duration of turns, IIRC.
That's not what I recall. Something actually increases in the WLTKD. They happen so infrequently and arbitrarily I don't actually RC, though.

You may be overcomplicating things. Civ4's systems were usually great because they derived maximum value/depth from a small amount of modifiers, with the added bonus of those small amounts of modifiers being a lot easier to comprehend as a whole than Civ5's goulash of bonuses and effects. Adding more currencies, more modifiers, and more special rules does not seem like the way to continue making the same types of great design decisions.
:twitch:

Man, you just proposed changing every player into a City-State and requiring some unspecified cohort of special conditions to graduate to a player, and then a web of forced diplorelations .

I like your idea, and my idea. I must not understand your objection to mine, because you can't be serious about those restrictions. You are referring to elegance, which is not always simplicity, but let's suppose it is. "No more currencies"? Without adding another measure, the game cannot do more kinds of things. Full stop.
Guided by realism, I'm only looking for hints about something else that would be fun and challenging to manage. Something that will interact in a desired way with the whole challenge to help bring different strategies into balance.

The reason for it was to give commerce loss from city maintenance a way to further impact the player's options instead of just through temporary loss of gold currency and/or beakers.
I must be missing something again. Yes, I am completely on board with city maintenance as a kind of development speed bump risk/reward thing. It occurred to me yesterday that this is nice in how it folds expansion into like every other kind of decision: You can dip in other forms of development to invest in one resource, which can grow and , if you choose the right priority at the moment, you can possibly slingshot from that resource to get the best of everything.

One of the more simpler, but possibly easiest to mess up, solutions would be to have random events pop up throughout the game, where paying gold from the treasury can either negate a permanent negative effect, enable a permanent positive effect, and/or allow for more choice in effects.
Events and Decisions, lel.
Randomness is not sustainable.

CS's might not be "minor civs", but I argue that if they were, it would make the game more interesting while also removing the gamification factor from gifting to CS's. My solution would probably be a bit too drastic to know its effects without playtesting:
  1. Everyone starts as city-state in the ancient era and can get "promoted" to a major civ through any "special" action, such as founding a religion, building a wonder, creating a GP, conquering another city-state, settling a new city, or convincing another city-state to join forces.

1. OMG, this sounds like it deserves to smoosh heads with JFD's Prestige and governmental legitimacy mechanic.

What do you think a diplo victory or economic victory would look like if this CS thing happened? You can't have a whole world of CSs if they might become players, that's small maps with 18 real players on it, potentially.

Do you mean a currency like an actual, world currency?
Those have value because people live in a society with each other. You don't live in a society with your rivals in this game. You are upending society in this game by eliminating them. There is every reason -not- to afford value to a "currency" between you.
I guess I kind of use the word "currency" the same way friend uses the word "monies": as a numerical representation of some sort of value, often abstracted (it has no inherent value, its value is only in what entities/services of actual value you can acquire with it).
Since players can always use gold for something, it always has some sort of value to everybody. As a result, you can always use gold to try to drive a deal to completion with another player; since gold is really the only item you can do this with, especially without tech trading, it gives gold another use.

That's not what I recall. Something actually increases in the WLTKD. They happen so infrequently and arbitrarily I don't actually RC, though.
From the Civilization IV FAQ:
What are We Love the King celebrations in my cities?
Much like Civilization 3, We Love the King celebrations occur in cities when there is happiness in large cities. The requirements are the following: the city must be size 8 or higher, have no food lost to unhealthiness, and have no angry citizens. If it meets all those criteria, that city will pay no maintenance costs for the turn.

:twitch:

Man, you just proposed changing every player into a City-State and requiring some unspecified cohort of special conditions to graduate to a player, and then a web of forced diplorelations .
That bit replaces the current minor civ system, which has its own special rules, arbitrary limitations, and miscellaneous quirks that would be removed with the implementation of my minor civ idea. Examples of things removed: city-state quests, random spawns from city-states, the city-state influence mechanic (replaced by diplo relations), flat bonuses from city-states (eg. the +X food from maritime CS's, instead you'd get bonuses through the minor's trade routes and vassal relations as if it were a regular civ), city-states not being able to play the religion game, city-states not being able to build wonders, city-states never generating great people, city-states being limited to 18 tiles per city, city-states getting a giant science boost to any techs that have been researched by another player, certain resources always only spawning around city-states, separate city-state personalities, etc.

"No more currencies"? Without adding another measure, the game cannot do more kinds of things. Full stop.
Guided by realism, I'm only looking for hints about something else that would be fun and challenging to manage. Something that will interact in a desired way with the whole challenge to help bring different strategies into balance.
Not all new additions need to be currencies. For example, while G&K's Faith is another currency, G&K's actual religion mechanic is not.
I just feel that if you want to give gold some sort of other use in addition to its current uses, you would do better in finding some sort of possible interplay between existing systems or by introducing a single new ruleset than by trying to add a new, separate currency system in (which is needed to stop the treasury golden age snowball) with its own uses, interactions, and rules.

Events and Decisions, lel.
Randomness is not sustainable.
Someone's forgetting about city-state quests: they're effectively random events that can make or ruin your day in the earlygame (via access to extra yields) or make or break a diplomacy victory lategame.
But yeah, I do agree that global random events aren't probably the best idea.
Another one I had was to simply double the amount of unit types in-game. It would reach a point where building units of the newest type would be a worse alternative to upgrading your existing units, since you'd always be stuck with low veterancy units and would never find the time to produce buildings and wonders instead of military units. UU's would definitely need to be rethought though, since they would become obsolete almost instantaneously in their current form.
That said I don't think gold actually needs another use, as it's already versatile enough already. It's why I'd also prefer the "more units to upgrade to" option, since you're not actually giving gold another use, you're just making one of its current uses more important.

OMG, this sounds like it deserves to smoosh heads with JFD's Prestige and governmental legitimacy mechanic.
I don't think a prestige/legitimacy (or republic tradition?) mechanic is needed to handle the transitions. Demotion to minor could proceed via peace deal (replaces capitulation), voluntarily (as an alternative to ragequiting/resigning out of a game that's going badly), or some other method TBD, while promotion could proceed via score after a major is demoted, with the possibility of multiple minors merging into one major equalizing tiebreakers or when two minors are really close in score.

What do you think a diplo victory or economic victory would look like if this CS thing happened? You can't have a whole world of CSs if they might become players, that's small maps with 18 real players on it, potentially.
Why could you not play that way? If there ends up being 9 majors and 9 minors in a small map, the crowded nature may prompt some majors to be more aggressive to demote their neighbors to minors, thus slowly bringing the major count back in line with the original 6. Plus, I'd expect at least a few promotions happening via unification of two or more city-states (unification is important to make diplomacy between minors matter to both minors and majors), so 18 players might shrink to 15 or 14 by the end even if nobody gets eliminated outright. As for what would happen if two or more human-controlled minors unified, I honestly haven't thought up of a solution other than to allow those humans to control the same civilization (like a democracy game).

Civilization games were never meant to act as historic simulations, they were simply just strategy games dressed up in human history, with the occasional macroscopic parallels (eg. democratic civs will tend to go to war less). If you want historic simulations, the best I can think of are Crusader Kings 2 (with HIP or CK2+) or Victoria 2 (with PDM), and even those have some huge, huge flaws that hold them back from being completely accurate (eg. CK2's neverending population for soldiery or Victoria 2's idiotic Capitalists who build steel mills instead of cigar factories in regions with only tobacco provinces). EU4 has so many flaws that it's less historically accurate than a game of Ryse and Fall in Civ4.

Source ? Civ is for recreating History, the others are replicating it. (more or less) Plus, it is made to simulate the evolution of the civilizations. Last, it's not limited to an era, but embraces the whole history of mankind.

Braking expansion is done to open up gameplay possibilities. [...] If expansion is braked, options of not expanding whenever you get the chance become viable, and thus lead to the types of decisions that should make a Civ game engaging, eg. "Do I build a settler now and settle my next city there, or do I strengthen my empire before settling that spot and hope it doesn't get taken by someone I can't defeat, or do I don't even consider settling my next city?"

All this would be achievable with more aggressive/close AIs.

Without an expansion break, the person who expands the most wins, which would mean that 500-turn games would be decided in the first 50 turns.

Why ? Because of the random map generator. By the way i don't see as a problem if two or several civs get to be more or less equal. That's for this approximate equality that corruption have been put.

Though you may want a ton of cities in Civ4, you definitely don't want to settle them all immediately, otherwise you'll fall behind in tech due to the commerce hit from maintenance.

You want to settle those cities immediately, the difference is that you can't.

In Civ5, you don't want a ton of cities unless you're specifically going for an ICS strategy. This is because of flat global unhappiness from number of cities (in addition to total population) coupled with the ludicrous Tradition policy branch and the much larger city work radius (36 tiles in Civ5 vs. 20 tiles in Civ4/3/2/1) means you really only want 4 to 5 non-puppet cities until you've unlocked your ideology. Unlike Civ4, you also want to acquire the cities you want as soon as possible, because settled cities can defend themselves and because 1UPT makes armies' power diminish at higher unit count (a 12-warrior army is not twice as strong as a 6-warrior army), so having a lower unit count while you make your settlers is not that big of a deal.

In Civ5 you still want as many cities as possible, given the fact that 1 pop point = 1 beaker point. More cities = more pop growth pools that act in the same time, the more when the first pop points are faster to get than the ones of a larger city. This counterweights definitely the fact that settlers stop growth.

Now, in BNW there is this science % hit with each new city, but it's mainly unmonitorable in many ways, so you may as well consider that each average city makes you gain science, which is true mainly. (just limits it)

I'll just ignore Civ5 for now, since 1UPT, the instant availability of rushbuy, and the fact that cities don't need garrisons to defend themselves kind of ruins both of your points immediately.

Oh, because 1UPT makes obviously all armies weak, the instant availability of rush buy makes you spam units in the map in a finger snap, and the fact that cities don't need garrisons in order to defend themselves makes them invincible.

In Civ4/3/2/1, you could definitely start off by churning out warriors instead of trying to go for settlers. In fact, it's probably the ideal way to play (well, I found it that way after a few experiments with four warrior starter), especially in multiplayer (from what I've heard, the first 100 turns are usually permanent warfare). However, not only does unit maintenance start racking up after a while, but building military units does not actually get you any bonus beakers until you take someone's city, so if you gambit by always building two or three extra military units instead of a settler each time, you will fall behind on tech immediately, making your two or three warrior advantage pointless when they have four axemen instead of four warriors.
Building production instead of settler production also has its disadvantages in that you usually don't have access to that many buildings early in the game when you might be spamming out settlers to start your city advantage, and going for buildings instead of military units leaves you just as vulnerable as going for settlers instead of military units, with the added detriment of not gaining an extra city. As for wonder production, I found that wonders in Civ4 weren't always as vital to strategies as they are in Civ5, so missing out on wonders early on was not a crippling disadvantage. Wonders would also take one or two settler's worth of production and have just as little military value as two settlers (with military wonders being equivalent to two new cities producing units), so buildings wonders instead of settlers is just not a viable alternative if there are no expansion speedbumps.
You're also forgetting the bit where excess food adds to settler production, so cities with low production but a lot of food production might actually be able to make settlers faster than military units.

I don't really get what you are trying to say here. It's not about what it was, but about what it could be.

The penalty of settlers stopping growth is not that important at higher levels of population; indeed, when you're actually nearing your happiness (and health) cap, you want your settlers to stop growth. All Civ games have some sort of city population limiter, and when you near that limit, you definitely want your growth stopped, so point 2 is not a factor in cities you actually want to create settlers with.

Actually it's not advised to wait for the limitation in order to start expanding. (build a settler) You are doing it not just when your cities are maximized and can't grow anymore, it's a continous play that come pretty early, way before cities have reach they maximum size (even temporary). It's dynamic, and the decisions you have to take are dynamic also of course. This has been done in order to make expansion risky and not always the best choice. But it's pretty dead with a system with far away and passive AIs.

You can blame your failures on the fact that Civ4's UI did not display the necessary information (since this is true), but you cannot say that its system, if the player is notified of it properly, is not effective.
Heck, now that you know how it works, maybe you could try going and playing a few games of Civ4 with your newfound knowledge and see if you opinion changes.

It's just another "always doing the same", just that it's more cheasy and requires more micromanagement. (build cottages, place citizens on them) It just delays the inevitable inequalities that will unfold from the random map generator, making everything slower and more frustrating.

REX to intended pre war first position, rush an army, wait for the fireworks between your aggressive AI and the one behind them to weaken them both, then you intervene to easily conquer the closer one. Rinse repeat if there is yet another ring of aggressive AIs behind them.

Are you trying to prove that corruption brings repetitiveness and no brainers ? But, it's the same with Civ4 and Civ5, you can sum up an optimal play more or less this way.

Because it would be boring and be no challenge if there was no built in game mechanic to slow you down.

What about the other civs ? Isn't it boring to follow arbitrary rules you have to manage in your corner instead of being confronted directly to them ?

With Civ V BNW, there indeed is a number of cities you can reach in which any new city would actually slow you down. Before then there is a point where it has little effect. (Per city science increase.) Even without this, there is a severe penalty in Civ V for self founding cities [never being able to build another national wonder]
In addition within Civ V, typical victories are won too soon. (The point at which the expenses into starting a new city can't be made up before you win is much earlier than in previous versions.)

But it's not related to GH/corruption. And it's not only about self-founding cities, you can conquer them too.

I cannot believe that some people are arguing for no expansion constrainning mechanism or whatsoever. Corruption, manteinance and happiness systems exist in order to solve a certain set of gameplay issues:

- Snowballing civilizations, aka avoiding that the fate of the game is decided past the classic era
- Slowing down the process of expansion, thus making you able to enjoy it for more time
- Making expansion a conscious choice where you have to ponder benefit VS cost, instead of being a no-brainer non-decision
- Making tall play viable, adding variety to gameplay strategies (some of us like to turtle too!)

As for people claiming how constant civilization expansion is "realist", history vehemently disagree with that assesment :p

As for which system worked better, Civ 4's is the uncontested king here, for it made every single city that you either build or occuppy a choice that you needed to meditate upon, by making them costly in the short term, yet undoubtely profitable in the long term. Thus, expansion becomes a desirable idea in general, but only at a certain pace and in certain terms. Just as it happened in history!

As for proposed systems for modulating expansion, I already devised one in my humongous design document for Civ 6:

Cultural identity radious

It works, in short, pretty much like the old corruption system of yore: the more far away a city is from your palace, the more affected it will be. The twist is that this system only penalizes the city's science and cultural output, leaving production and gold untouched. Consequently, extra cities are desirable, for they add wealth and military might to your empire, but runaway civs becomes a more rare occurrence, for having an extense empire won't automatically turn into having more advanced tech and culture. It also paves the way for a cool interaction with cutural gameplay, for the dynamics of colony VS metropoli will be replicated as well, with the fringes of your empire being far more vulnerable to cultural preassure from outside powers, while you will have to invest your resources heavily into heartland in order to make your culture and science advance.

This sytem will be coupled with a governance system.

This is, in essence, a more transparent version of Civ's 4 manteinance system. Each goverment has a governance limit, surpass it, and cities will start to cost you money, scaling up to the governance deficit. It is as simple and straightfoward as it goes. It can increase with certain wonders and policies, it decreases with riots and revolutions, and rivals can undermine it too, so the bigger the empire, the more vulnerable to non-military agression it will be (subversion and cultural preassure).

Source ? Civ is for recreating History, the others are replicating it. (more or less) Plus, it is made to simulate the evolution of the civilizations. Last, it's not limited to an era, but embraces the whole history of mankind.
There are so many historical omissions and simplifications in Civ5 that it could not possibly be used as a historical simulation. Let me name just a few:
  • The player always has complete control of their civilization, even under a supposedly democratic government. The only exception are puppets, but the player has complete control over which cities become puppets and when they get unpuppeted. Not even in today's world of near-instantaneous communication is this possible, let alone in 3000 BC. In fact, a lot of governmental challenges and the evolution of social structures revolved around addressing the problem of management, with people slowly coming to the realization that resources and services were often managed the best when they are not all overseen by the same entity. Heck, even Lenin, the founder of what some might say is the most authoritarian government in human history, realized a few years into his government that total economic control does not work: he forced the USSR to allow for the existence of small business (up to 5 employees, IIRC) to operate in a free market economy (1924 revision of NEP, I believe), policies that were scrapped a few years later after the irrational Stalin took over. And it's not like Firaxis have not tried to implement some sort of control loss with democratic governments in the past: the democracy government in Civ2 (and maybe Civ3?) had a Senate that would overrule the player's declaration of war 50% of the time. Firaxis removed this in later games because despite it increasing historical accuracy, they found it to be frustrating for newcomers from a gameplay perspective.
  • The timescale is gameplay-based with a calendar tacked on, rather than the other way around. In games like Victoria 2 and Hearts of Iron, the game revolves around a consistent in-game calendar: one that attempts (and usually succeeds) at making in-game actions happen on reasonable timescales (troops move between territories in a matter of days, buildings get built in a matter of months or years, governments hold elections every X years, etc.). By contrast, if Civ5's calendar is to be taken seriously, it can take over 100 years to build a quarry in the ancient era; it might have taken a few years, sure, but definitely not more than 100.
  • The game uses cities as the smallest unit of territorial player control (culture is just a way to spread a city's control, the smallest unit remains the city itself). Despite the fact that Civ games take place over the entire breadth of human history, cities only really became bastions of power in the late middle ages, and even then you had countries like Imperial Russia and Japan where farming in sparsely populated areas remained as the local economic backbone. Steppe cultures' military and economic prowess came from large, roving bands of shepherds (of all manner of livestock), rather than centralized points, ie. cities. Cities are simply not a small enough unit of territorial control to any game that wishes to be a historical simulation: heck, even the provinces of Victoria 2 (which represent roughly 1-3 tiles' worth of population and economy in Civ5) aren't always small enough for the task, since small countries are forced to produce larger amounts of a few resources rather than small amounts of almost all types of resources (most apparent with Japan and the fact that they don't produce enough rice to sustain their population, as most of their provinces produce goods used to make industrial or luxury goods, eg. tea, lumber, iron, coal, sulfur).
  • Concepts that shape centuries' worth of relations between peoples are either absent from Civ games or implemented in such a way as to not actually model the way those relationships are shaped. The idea of maximizing the amount and types of people who can become powerful in order to generate more value out of groups of humans (the driving force behind the formation of free market economies, capitalism, socialism, communism, liberalism, abolishment of slavery, abolishment of serfdom, abolishment of caste systems, Western European models of feudalism that allowed nobles to still challenge the power of their kings via upper and lower houses, egalitarianism, etc.) is completely absent. Cultures are constant, never merging or diverging. Nationalism is assumed from the start of the game (French people will always remain loyal to France), even though its beginnings emerged around the high middle ages and it often only really started kicking around the 17th and 18th centuries (eg. the lines between Polish, Lithuanian, Ukranian, and Russian cultures was quite blurry until the mid-19th century). Racial relations are absent (Arabians don't view the medieval French as smelly barbarians, industrial era British don't view themselves inherently superior to Songhai, and I don't think I even need to talk about internal racism, eg. Manchu vs. other parts of China, former slave owners vs. former slaves, European settlers in Brazil vs. natives in Brazil). Ownership distributions (eg. state-owned assets, corporation-owned assets, communally-owned assets, assets owned by a few group of powerful individuals, assets owned by a large, divided group of individuals, etc.) are completely absent. Religion, when implemented, evolves separately from cultures (historically, cultures have often been shaped around the most prominent religions present, not just the other way around like the way Civ5 models religion) and education (for the longest time in human history, clergymen were usually at the forefront of education, with completely secular public education only really coming about in the 19th century, perhaps even later).

All this would be achievable with more aggressive/close AIs.
Civilization is not the same series as Galactic Civilization: the games are never built to only work in singleplayer. Major civ AIs in Civilization games are meant as stand-ins for human players, and only minor civs in Civ5 are AIs that are an actual part of the game's design. Even if you don't play multiplayer, the fact that multiplayer is possible plays a gigantic role in designing the game: you can no longer rely on AIs to balance out any game system, because there is always the possibility that a game will have no AIs (eg. 6 player multiplayer with no AI players), and you want your game to be good even then. And if multiplayer games of Civilization have proven anything, as human players can be more aggressive, unpredictable, and cunning than the best aggressive AI Firaxis an make, it's that expansion speedbumps are needed to keep the game fun.

Why ? Because of the random map generator. By the way i don't see as a problem if two or several civs get to be more or less equal. That's for this approximate equality that corruption have been put.
Notice how even the strongest of starts don't put resources on every tile within 2 radius of your city, much like how you still don't get starts with absolutely zero yields. There comes a point where too much inequality becomes boring, both for the player with the advantage (no challenge to the game) and the player with the disadvantage (no chance at winning). Not having expansion speedbumps can make even the slightest inequalities (eg. you start with one more fish than your opponent) possibly snowball to the point of making the game boring.

In Civ5 you still want as many cities as possible, given the fact that 1 pop point = 1 beaker point. More cities = more pop growth pools that act in the same time, the more when the first pop points are faster to get than the ones of a larger city. This counterweights definitely the fact that settlers stop growth.
... except you forgot about the empire-wide population cap called "happiness" and percentage modifiers from wonders. IIRC, each new city that you found generates 4 unhappiness simply from being a new city: even without that stupidly powerful Monarchy policy (-1 unhappiness from every 2 pop in capitol), if you have 10 happiness, you can either have it as 10 population in one city or 6 population between two cities. With monarchy, it's either 15 population in your capitol or 8 population at most between two cities (7 in capitol, 1 in second city). You would need to capture a new luxury resource with each city to make up for the happiness loss, two new luxury resources with Monarchy.
As for percentage modifiers from wonders, since only one city can have a wonder, the yield bonus you get from a wonder that gives its yield bonus in % is greater if you have one, large city than if you have two, medium-sized cities. If you get 5 beakers from a single city, a +100% beakers boost (National College) gives you +5 beakers, while if you get 3 beakers from one city and 2 beakers from another, that same boost can only give you up to +3 beakers.

Now, in BNW there is this science % hit with each new city, but it's mainly unmonitorable in many ways, so you may as well consider that each average city makes you gain science, which is true mainly. (just limits it)
That limit really is nothing. You take a greater science "hit" from having your science-earning population spread out instead of being concentrated in your National College city (loss of potential yield) than you do from the arbitrary increase in science costs from city count.

Oh, because 1UPT makes obviously all armies weak, the instant availability of rush buy makes you spam units in the map in a finger snap, and the fact that cities don't need garrisons in order to defend themselves makes them invincible.
Though you did take it to extremes, I see you do get the general idea. 1UPT doesn't make larger armies weak, it just diminishes their strength to where building new units instead of settlers may no longer worth it after a point. Rushbuy lets you use gold, a resource you actually earn more from by having more cities, to replace both the hammer cost and the time to build the military units you could have built instead of settlers; the fact that it unlocks from the start means you can do this right from the start, while the fact that you don't need to dedicate a civic to it means there is no extra cost to Rushbuy. The fact that cities defend themselves essentially means whenever you settle a city, you not only get the usual city benefits, but you also create a permanent, ranged military unit that will defend your city: its only two disadvantages are that it cannot earn XP and cannot be used offensively, but otherwise it's like having built a military unit with your settler. These three combined mitigate so much of the risk associated with building settlers instead of military units that it no longer becomes much of a risk at all (and the rewards for settling a new city are huge if there is no speedbump).

I don't really get what you are trying to say here. It's not about what it was, but about what it could be.
Let's assume that there is no downside to settling a new city, other than the nuances of building and escorting a settler to a tile. When your city nears its population cap (which is when you would be building settlers anyway), spending production on buildings and wonders is not a viable alternative because you remain just as defenseless as if you had spent that production on a settler; the extra growth you get is wasted because you would be going over your population cap faster, while improved yields from a single building are easily eclipsed by the yields you could get from being able to work another set of up to 20/36 tiles with a new city.
The only real alternative is therefore to build military units. However, new technologies unlock stronger military units, and while building military units does nothing to increase your science, settling a new city does. This means that although pumping out military units would be a good alternative at first, any player who can keep their second city for 10 or so turns will gain a tech advantage over you, which they could use to make units that would win in a fight against your numerically superior but technologically inferior army. On the flipside, it would also make games incredibly boring: since there is no disadvantage to owning more cities, only for investing in the settler to found them, the player who creates warriors instead of settlers will always be able to capture the other player's second city without any negative effects. This means that the only move that cannot lose when near another player is to spam military units (you win if they go settler, stalemate if they also spam), so the first couple of turns in the game would just be cities producing units, units, and more units.

Actually it's not advised to wait for the limitation in order to start expanding. (build a settler) You are doing it not just when your cities are maximized and can't grow anymore, it's a continous play that come pretty early, way before cities have reach they maximum size (even temporary). It's dynamic, and the decisions you have to take are dynamic also of course. This has been done in order to make expansion risky and not always the best choice. But it's pretty dead with a system with far away and passive AIs.
I don't know if you've ever played Civ4 multiplayer, but the reason people built warriors instead of settlers before reaching city population cap was not because of possible city maintenance, but because of the lost growth from settlers. In fact, if you built warriors and then a settler, you would usually end up producing your settler on the same turn as a player who started off building a settler, simply because the extra yields gained from city growth during warrior production make up for the time not spent on building settlers.
You really, really should try your hand at a few multiplayer games if you haven't already.

It's just another "always doing the same", just that it's more cheasy and requires more micromanagement. (build cottages, place citizens on them) It just delays the inevitable inequalities that will unfold from the random map generator, making everything slower and more frustrating.
Uh, because gold is an empire-wide currency, I would actually call it "macromanagement" instead of micromanagement. There is no fiddling around with units, chop timings, city automation, or any other source of micromanagement. You don't have to worry about swapping citizens back and forth between tiles every turn. Everything can be resolved by planning ahead, and citizen automation has become a good enough algorithm that you often don't even have to go into a city to force someone to work your cottages; heck, automated workers will build enough cottages to the point that you really only need to worry about what stuff you build in your cities. It's the exact opposite of micromanagement, which is about constantly monitoring individual situations and acting accordingly.

Are you trying to prove that corruption brings repetitiveness and no brainers ? But, it's the same with Civ4 and Civ5, you can sum up an optimal play more or less this way.
Civ3's corruption had one no-brainer path. Civ5 has a few no-brainer paths (roughly 2-6, depending on the map, any player or AI handicaps, and your civ) to choose from, though more experienced players will usually know instantly which path is most optimal in a given situation. Civ4 has a lot of no-brainer paths to the point where while you can definitely determine what not to do in a given situation, the best thing to do precisely is lot more player- and skill level-dependent than map-, difficulty, or civ-dependent.

What about the other civs ? Isn't it boring to follow arbitrary rules you have to manage in your corner instead of being confronted directly to them ?
You answered your own question right there. You have to manage rules, so if the rules are made in such a way as to make managing them fun, it doesn't matter how arbitrary they may seem. Arbitrariness is only a problem when it does not serve to increase the number of high-quality options.
The "arbitrary" limitation on city expansion increases number of high-quality options: it makes options that are not expanding be of similar quality as expanding.

Cultural identity radious
<snip>
Runaways empires are definitely still possible, probably even more so under this system than in Civ4. This is because of production delegation: because the player does not gain culture or science from fringe cities, culture and science wonders and buildings are pointless in those fringe cities. This means that those cities will probably dedicated to producing military units, while core cities are dedicated to wonders and buildings. While wide empires can have their fringe cities work on military units and while their core works on science and culture, tall empires have to make their core cities work on both buildings and military units (for defense).

Your idea does follow along the same lines as the cultural tech tree brainstorm I wrote about in my first reply:
I would propose a Civ4-like system with one extra twist. The game would have two tech trees, a "scientific" one and a "social" one: the "scientific" tech tree would progress on a player-by-player basis, while the "social" tech tree would progress on a city-by-city basis.
<Rest snip'ed to save space>
The basic idea is that because social tech is city-based, larger empires would fall behind simply by having to spend more time bringing all of their cities up to speed with their social tech-leading city (probably capitol, but not necessarily), so they could not capitalize on possible empire-wide bonuses (civics) for new social techs as quickly as smaller empires. There are no added maintenance systems or extra modifiers and radii to be accounted for, it just works by virtue of having to actually manage a larger empire. It also solves odd flavor discrepancies from having technical techs (archery, machinery, printing press) sharing the same tech tree as social advances (liberalism, civil service, mass media). Maybe have a look and see what you come up with?

I am more and more in love with the "start as minors" change. Here is what I think will really help it.

Some people have wondered about starting with a UA, or rather, not. It is sort of odd that you start with a kind of fixed cultural/ethnic identity, and yet can be spawned in a region very unlike that civ's historic origins, and strategic pressures can move you away from those same advancements, too. Again, simulationism is not necessarily a virtue; the issue is a disconnect, a persisting seam in the Civ's behaviour that you can't shake from any perspective of interpreting the game representations.
It is also troublesome to implement truly unique UAs, because many of them work like magic, and are difficult to balance because of how dissimilar they are to other effects. Japan having different combat rules is kind of major. China having inevitability in -every- prolonged war is overcentralizing.
But UAs are really cool. The good ones have been balanced exactly where wonders are, which is also how good the best social policies are in Civ V. So UAs are just as cool, except even moreso, because you 'inherit' them, you don't build them. But how to do this with logic and fairness?

I was inspired by C2C's effect of literally building a 'culture'. You start in a broad ethnic group, and specific advancements and achievements trigger a specialization into a cultural genus, just like creating Civ IV's religions . You can become maori and polynesian if you get a certain water development milestone before anyone else. Awesome. These classes then key into specific bonuses.

Consider the following. You have a leader / initial civ group that has a minor set of bonuses. Civ IV traits kind of thing, and maybe one unique building waiting in the tech tree, guaranteed when you get there. But your civ controls one thing for you: Not your starting position, but your starting resources. Tile features.
Those features have innate bonuses, but are exploited with techs and improvements. This influences the way you tech up as the game starts, which makes certain paths differentially costly, strategic worthiness being equal, and so it will bias you incrementally into different paths.

It will require a very peculiarly managed Ancient Era tech web, plus the complexity of the whole ethnic unlocking thing - Civ V has 43? civs, C2C hangs for a few seconds loading a list of basically any category in it. I'd guess there are hundreds of cultures in that game? Well, somewhere between the two, the cultural speciation will feel complete and not wig out the game. Plus, any one actual game only needs to handle eight final cultures, and if we go with a typical map of 16 minor civs becoming 8 majors, with some minors drawing the same ethnic group, an initial pruning of the database down to cultures that may actually occur can keep things in passable running speed.

Tradeoffs to fun are that a certain Civ will have similar starts every time, that sounds like more of a loss... but this is just the immediate area. A bit beyond that can be very different, and then there's the whole map's shape itself. Also, linking civs to features of the early game might be a feature in the competitive development of the game. It may strongly link, and thereby reveal, the iniquities of the starting conditions factor that plagues fair contest, allowing for bold rebalancing of these things at design-time, or, more clearcut bans for competitions after final release. Banning a civ is an option. With such a link, the community can ban starting positions. How nice would that be?

----
So, a sketch of my wish is, to have specific civs, as finely grained as Civ V's majors, and a leader goes with them. Maybe "loadout" technology. You have a Unique Building for some economic identity. UUs ... can't be part of that choice, not unless they are only Ancient-Medieval ones, which disrupts the notion of civs like America , although I wish there was no America civ or any other civ that has no ancient identity. Unique Units are enabled by cultural identity + military technology, maybe even allowing two UUs? Maybe limitless? Something to tweak. UUs are really fun, why not spread the love around dynamically, everybody can enjoy one.
You, though you are "The Arabs" or "the Celts" you actually only exist as a group extremely broad. The broadest of broad, it's ethnic. As you do things, specific cultures are plucked from a list. You can become one that you 'trigger', or irrevocably refuse , holding out for a later one. (This complexity over just adopting the first one allows us to build interleaved and deeply distant cultures.) Now you have a handful of unique improvements and units available. On its own the culture still does nothing, but I would love now for, in addition to the unique unlocks for that culture, it lets you take one "UA"-like advancement. That's just like a world wonder s ofar, so you definitely don't obtain it with hammers. It should key off either the achievement itself if the trigger was sufficiently peculiar and strategically uncommon, or some kind of action. Maybe a quest?

Add to that, your notion Delnar of triggering major identity by creating a 'major advance' or individuation. A wonder, a great person, a religion(!!), a big conquering event. (You mentioned "settling" in your list but I wonder about restricting settling and expansion from minors.) Maybe JFD's Prestige and the research from his mod can come in- adopting a certain government and advancing it; or taking social policies to a heightened and accelerated point, would all be proof of individual identity, - and ambition.

You become a major when this occurs. These two speciations, majors and cultural groups, can be set up to be independent but perhaps in the same time span, maybe it mostly happens in one order, sometimes in another.

---
I thought of using feature improvements for specific civs because of C-Evo actually, which has no resource exploitation. The resources modify the tile, and improvements modify tiles, but the two have no interaction. It makes settling simpler, but there's no character.

Heh, we're really approaching daydream territory here.

Some people have wondered about starting with a UA, or rather, not. It is sort of odd that you start with a kind of fixed cultural/ethnic identity, and yet can be spawned in a region very unlike that civ's historic origins, and strategic pressures can move you away from those same advancements, too. Again, simulationism is not necessarily a virtue; the issue is a disconnect, a persisting seam in the Civ's behaviour that you can't shake from any perspective of interpreting the game representations.
UU's and UB's can do that, too. For example, even though Ethiopia's UA and UU are about having a small, tall empire, their UB is one of the best enablers for Faith ICS in the entire game. I've sometimes actually had more success with ICS Ethiopia than tall Ethiopia, simply because of their UB.
But yeah, UA's are the more obvious example. Sometimes you just don't start near Natural Wonders as Spain or don't have islands to settle as Indonesia. However, I would say that the problem has to do with UA design itself, with poorly designed UA's (not necessarily bad UA's, just poorly designed) being too start-dependent.

I was inspired by C2C's effect of literally building a 'culture'. You start in a broad ethnic group, and specific advancements and achievements trigger a specialization into a cultural genus, just like creating Civ IV's religions . You can become maori and polynesian if you get a certain water development milestone before anyone else. Awesome. These classes then key into specific bonuses.
<snip>
The problem this has is that there may only be one civ in a culture group that you really want, and if another person gets that civ, you're now stuck with having to choose a civ, one of the most important factors in the game mind you, that you do not want.
For example, let's say you have the Germans cultural group: this would include Germany, Denmark, Sweden, and possibly England. Out of these four civs, it's fairly obvious that England is by far the best in most situations (at least in unmodded Civ5), so in multiplayer games, everyone who starts as the Germans (and since people often play Random, it's entirely possible that you have more than one Germans player) would race to get England in the first 50 or so turns, and the loser(s) would have to suffer playing as an inferior civ for the rest of the game. Similar things would happen with a "North African" cultural group (Morocco, Carthage, Egypt, *Ethiopia*, maybe Songhai), or with the "Native American" cultural group (Inca, Aztecs, *Maya*, Shoshone, Iroquois). It would be like having a game-changing wonder in the early Classical Era, and could effectively end games before they've even really begun (the same way a terrible start can, except you've already invested 30-60 mins into the game to get to turn 50).
It also removes choice from the random civ start option. In unmodded civ, you could start as any of the 43 civs, but if you group civs together into culture groups, you would have some actual choice in what civ you end up as even if you get a random cultural group out of 16 or so.
These two downsides are way too big for me to ever consider this idea appropriate for multiplayer Civ5. I would much rather prefer a system where every possible current city-state has its own civ that it can become, which has the added benefit of adding new civs to the game in a way that is similar to G&K and BNW, and also differentiating city-states in ways other than just their type. City-states that became new civs include: Edinburgh (Celts), Dublin (Celts), Warsaw (Poland), Venice (Venice), Vienna (Austria), Copenhagen (Denmark), Seoul (Korea), Rio de Janeiro (Brazil), Stockholm (Sweden), Helsinki (Sweden), Jakarta (Indonesia), Lisbon (Portugal), and Marrakech (Morocco). It would also mean that certain uniques that only really work when a civ is a major may need to be rethought (eg. Mongolia's, Austria's, Byzantine's, Netherlands', France's, Siam's, Rome's, and Indonesia's), in addition to the uniques that need to be remade by default because they work via the influence system (Sweden's and Greece's).

There's also the added possibility of you offending someone by grouping their culture in with another culture that they don't like (eg. some people would not take well to grouping Arabs, Persians, Israelis, and Ottomans/Turks together into "Middle Eastern"), but that's more a theming issue than a gameplay one.

I can think of a few other ways to actually address the problem of players being shepharded down paths that are not appropriate for the civ's uniques. For one, redesigning problematic uniques (whether they be overpowered like Poland's or underpowered like the Iroquois') would work. Another thing that might help is to have players choose their Civs when they found their first city, not before the map is generated: the only thing lost in this case are start biases, which is a feature that ranges from mediocre to terrible depending on who you ask (I hate them in Civ5 because there is nothing you can do to make a Tundra tile or a non-Petra Desert tile as good as a Plains or a Grassland).

There are also ways to implement having to develop a cultural identity that could be implemented in simpler ways (my social tech tree idea for now would give players their own cultural identity as they go through the circular social tech tree via different paths, but let's ignore that for now). For example, you could have "wonder" policies, in that they are policies or policy effects that get locked out for all other players once one player unlocks them (so they essentially work like empire-wide wonders that get built with culture instead of production). You could either have them be extra policies in each branch that aren't required for the branch's finisher (or maybe they are unless you're locked out of them), or as extra effects added onto branch finishers that would give you a bonus for being the first player to get that finisher.
To make sure players can't snowball with wonder policies (ie. getting one early which lets them get all the other ones), you could implement a wonder policy cap, so a player would not unlock any more wonder policy effects after they have acquired three wonder policies; this would have the added side effect of players deliberately holding out on getting early policies with wonder effects if they are aiming at more lategame wonder policies, as well as letting people who are behind in the early cultural game catch up via having access to lategame wonder policies that the current cultural leaders are locked out of.

I thought of using feature improvements for specific civs because of C-Evo actually, which has no resource exploitation. The resources modify the tile, and improvements modify tiles, but the two have no interaction. It makes settling simpler, but there's no character.
You could design civs in such a way the interplay between their uniques and the surrounding features happens organically instead of through a more forced interaction via a direct bonus or an improvement that requires a certain terrain feature. For example, consider farms: because they require Fresh Water to be built, players will naturally build them near rivers and lakes. If you want a civ to interact with rivers, lakes, and floodplains (say, Egypt), you could just have them get a bonus from Farms, and the natural game interactions will take care of the rest (with added benefit that the bonus is useful without rivers and lakes, since farms are also used to improve certain resources). Giving a civ the unique ability of dealing damage to enemy units every time they move into a tile that you own will have a greater effect on naval and cavalry units because of their higher movespeed and need for mobility, so such a UA would be one way of implementing a defensive civ that leans more towards the side of naval defense.

Runaways empires are definitely still possible, probably even more so under this system than in Civ4. This is because of production delegation: because the player does not gain culture or science from fringe cities, culture and science wonders and buildings are pointless in those fringe cities. This means that those cities will probably dedicated to producing military units, while core cities are dedicated to wonders and buildings. While wide empires can have their fringe cities work on military units and while their core works on science and culture, tall empires have to make their core cities work on both buildings and military units (for defense).

It is possible, but it is not as drastic as you paint it, as the manteinance mechanics would still demand a fair amount of investement on distant colonies before they could be made profitable, not to mention that you would have to deal with other externalities inherent to new cities: building up happiness, needing more units to defend your more extensive borders, as well as churning out non-cultural, non-scientific wonders. Ideally, the cultural identity radious would specialize colonies from metropolis while making empire expansion a long term advantage but at an initial high cost.

Your idea does follow along the same lines as the cultural tech tree brainstorm I wrote about in my first reply:

The basic idea is that because social tech is city-based, larger empires would fall behind simply by having to spend more time bringing all of their cities up to speed with their social tech-leading city (probably capitol, but not necessarily), so they could not capitalize on possible empire-wide bonuses (civics) for new social techs as quickly as smaller empires. There are no added maintenance systems or extra modifiers and radii to be accounted for, it just works by virtue of having to actually manage a larger empire. It also solves odd flavor discrepancies from having technical techs (archery, machinery, printing press) sharing the same tech tree as social advances (liberalism, civil service, mass media). Maybe have a look and see what you come up with?

We should really start a "Civilization 6 culture brainstorming" tread :goodjob:

I quite like the idea of each city reaching a certain "social threshold", with some parts of your empire being more socially developed than the others. However, I am not entirely sure about how a per-city social tree would function in terms of playability, for it could get far too micro-intensive on the late game (each city with its own SP tree) and it could present some game balance problems too (older cities being unable to unlock the brand new more advanced SP due to the growing costs of SP despite of being more culturally developed).

It could perhaps function in a different manner:

You enact social policies / implement political directives on an empire-wide level rather than manage them on a per city basis. Say, your civilization has adopted feudalism. Yay!

However, these policies will only be active in cities with a certain culture level. Cities would "level up" their culture passively, just by accumulating culture a la Civilization 4, but with a more gradual level threshold (say, up to 10 different levels), and will be marked in the map as such. This way, the cultural level of your empire will be tied to both veterancy (the older the city, the more culture it has gathered) but also size and tall play (the bigger the city, the easier it will be for it to "catch up" with other older cities in your empire).

This system would open many strategies, as well as create a highly different tall VS wide dynamic: Older and weaker policies such as feudalism can be easily adopted by most cities in your empire (active in LV 2 cities or onwards) whereas more sophisticated and powerful forms of goverment / policies can only be active in more cultured cities (say, Emancipation only gets active on cities that have reached LV 5). This would also recreate the "periphery VS colony" dynamics, while rewarding city specialization and "cultural assimilation" of the newer adquisitions of your empire.

It is possible, but it is not as drastic as you paint it, as the manteinance mechanics would still demand a fair amount of investement on distant colonies before they could be made profitable, not to mention that you would have to deal with other externalities inherent to new cities: building up happiness, needing more units to defend your more extensive borders, as well as churning out non-cultural, non-scientific wonders. Ideally, the cultural identity radious would specialize colonies from metropolis while making empire expansion a long term advantage but at an initial high cost.
Wait, wasn't this system supposed to replace maintenance? You said it yourself:
It works, in short, pretty much like the old corruption system of yore: the more far away a city is from your palace, the more affected it will be. The twist is that this system only penalizes the city's science and cultural output, leaving production and gold untouched.
Plus, if you already have a Civ4-style gold maintenance system, that's enough to create the dynamic of having city-settling be a long-term investment. Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

I quite like the idea of each city reaching a certain "social threshold", with some parts of your empire being more socially developed than the others. However, I am not entirely sure about how a per-city social tree would function in terms of playability, for it could get far too micro-intensive on the late game (each city with its own SP tree) and it could present some game balance problems too (older cities being unable to unlock the brand new more advanced SP due to the growing costs of SP despite of being more culturally developed).
Social techs are not social policies: they would literally work like a tech tree, only it would be city-based instead of player-based (progress through the traditional tech tree only varies player-by-player, whereas social tech progress would vary city-by-city). The book cost (let's call social tech currency "books", the way science currency is "beakers") of a social tech, eg. Divine Right, would be the same in all cities, it's just that you'll need to get it unlocked in all of your cities to reap its benefits at an empire level (benefits on a city level, eg. requirements to build units/buildings, would still work if you only had it unlocked in a few cities).
The goal of it is not to replace or add onto the whole growing-an-empire-is-an-investment idea: it's meant to act as a limiter whose prominence increases as your empire grows, regardless of how quickly you go about growing. It makes tall play viable not by making the investment into a new city take incredibly long to recoup, but by having the tall empire's great cities not be burdened by the small.

One thing I could add to my idea is that you wouldn't define the exact tech to research, but a direction instead (like in SMAC). This ensures that you couldn't just research identical tech trees in each city and turn the entire system into the type of investment-payoff system that I want to avoid... then again, designing smart unit/building requirements for social techs could do that as well: sure, you could research the same social techs everywhere, but that means you might miss out on social techs that are key to unlocking a building that you really need/want in a certain city. Or maybe have the passive, inter-city social tech osmosis spread work based on how many social techs one city has that the other does not?

You enact social policies / implement political directives on an empire-wide level rather than manage them on a per city basis. Say, your civilization has adopted feudalism. Yay!

However, these policies will only be active in cities with a certain culture level. Cities would "level up" their culture passively, just by accumulating culture a la Civilization 4, but with a more gradual level threshold (say, up to 10 different levels), and will be marked in the map as such. This way, the cultural level of your empire will be tied to both veterancy (the older the city, the more culture it has gathered) but also size and tall play (the bigger the city, the easier it will be for it to "catch up" with other older cities in your empire).
The problem is that this implementation would only hold back your new cities, not your old ones. The point of having your largest cities be forced to work with the lowest common denominator is the whole point of per-city social tech. This implementation is simply just another way to reinforce the new-cities-are-an-investment idea, and that is not the goal of per-city social techs.

Plus, this alteration would make the settling of new cities mid- and late-game even less desirable than in Civ5. If you're already running the best civics available, why would you want to throw yourself back to the dark ages by settling a new, level 1 city, even if it would net you uranium?

Remember, the way that my original idea is meant to keep larger empires from choosing newer civics is by forcing them to have to unlock the requirement tech in all of their cities, even their lowliest ones that barely have any books production. Sure, your capitol could forge ahead and keep pace social tech-wise with the rest of the world, but if your countryside remained backwards, your empire is forced to maintain antiquated civics (think Moscow and St. Petersburg in pre-industrial Russia). With well-designed civics, no odd decay mechanic or anything similar is needed to make transitions difficult, since the fact that the civics' bonuses come from mutually exclusive sources will be enough (eg. Feudalism might give bonus yields to Farms, but Free Labor gives bonus yields to Towns, and tiles cannot have both Farms and Towns built on them at the same time).

I find it interesting, the veneer of similarity between the nonlinear policy cost increment from new cities, and your proposal of social tech propagation and the "lowest denominator".

Small technique for you: You'd have to make new cities 'bring along' any social tech that has been "achieved" empire-wide. Everbuddy gets Feudalism, yay, now a new city should understand it right off. Suddenly forgetting Feudalism would be weird; it being impossible to settle would be weird.
But now you can't make that first city difficult to settle, because it will have everything the capital-as-empire knows. Recursion hell! So it has to key off the current arrangement and not the social tech level per se. So you form the Republic lead by kings made of gold and defended by timeous bronze people (or were they silver?). A new city shows up. It would be incapable of adopting antiquated governments because it doesn't locally understand them! It could research them for cheap - even Despotism could have a meaningful cost (or be free, w/e) - but it would have to, or be "stuck" with Republic and the future forever.
Gameplay! Though it feels like something simulationist and then whacked with a monkey-wrench fifty too many times. But eh. The abstraction breaks down somewhere, this seam would be admirably far from front-center.

Or maybe some kind of social tech could let settlers bring along social technology, but not until then. (bring along -only- social technology that has achieved complete empire saturation!)

There are so many historical omissions and simplifications in Civ5 that it could not possibly be used as a historical simulation. Let me name just a few:
  • The player always has complete control of their civilization, even under a supposedly democratic government. The only exception are puppets, but the player has complete control over which cities become puppets and when they get unpuppeted. Not even in today's world of near-instantaneous communication is this possible, let alone in 3000 BC. In fact, a lot of governmental challenges and the evolution of social structures revolved around addressing the problem of management, with people slowly coming to the realization that resources and services were often managed the best when they are not all overseen by the same entity. Heck, even Lenin, the founder of what some might say is the most authoritarian government in human history, realized a few years into his government that total economic control does not work: he forced the USSR to allow for the existence of small business (up to 5 employees, IIRC) to operate in a free market economy (1924 revision of NEP, I believe), policies that were scrapped a few years later after the irrational Stalin took over. And it's not like Firaxis have not tried to implement some sort of control loss with democratic governments in the past: the democracy government in Civ2 (and maybe Civ3?) had a Senate that would overrule the player's declaration of war 50% of the time. Firaxis removed this in later games because despite it increasing historical accuracy, they found it to be frustrating for newcomers from a gameplay perspective.
  • The timescale is gameplay-based with a calendar tacked on, rather than the other way around. In games like Victoria 2 and Hearts of Iron, the game revolves around a consistent in-game calendar: one that attempts (and usually succeeds) at making in-game actions happen on reasonable timescales (troops move between territories in a matter of days, buildings get built in a matter of months or years, governments hold elections every X years, etc.). By contrast, if Civ5's calendar is to be taken seriously, it can take over 100 years to build a quarry in the ancient era; it might have taken a few years, sure, but definitely not more than 100.
  • The game uses cities as the smallest unit of territorial player control (culture is just a way to spread a city's control, the smallest unit remains the city itself). Despite the fact that Civ games take place over the entire breadth of human history, cities only really became bastions of power in the late middle ages, and even then you had countries like Imperial Russia and Japan where farming in sparsely populated areas remained as the local economic backbone. Steppe cultures' military and economic prowess came from large, roving bands of shepherds (of all manner of livestock), rather than centralized points, ie. cities. Cities are simply not a small enough unit of territorial control to any game that wishes to be a historical simulation: heck, even the provinces of Victoria 2 (which represent roughly 1-3 tiles' worth of population and economy in Civ5) aren't always small enough for the task, since small countries are forced to produce larger amounts of a few resources rather than small amounts of almost all types of resources (most apparent with Japan and the fact that they don't produce enough rice to sustain their population, as most of their provinces produce goods used to make industrial or luxury goods, eg. tea, lumber, iron, coal, sulfur).
  • Concepts that shape centuries' worth of relations between peoples are either absent from Civ games or implemented in such a way as to not actually model the way those relationships are shaped. The idea of maximizing the amount and types of people who can become powerful in order to generate more value out of groups of humans (the driving force behind the formation of free market economies, capitalism, socialism, communism, liberalism, abolishment of slavery, abolishment of serfdom, abolishment of caste systems, Western European models of feudalism that allowed nobles to still challenge the power of their kings via upper and lower houses, egalitarianism, etc.) is completely absent. Cultures are constant, never merging or diverging. Nationalism is assumed from the start of the game (French people will always remain loyal to France), even though its beginnings emerged around the high middle ages and it often only really started kicking around the 17th and 18th centuries (eg. the lines between Polish, Lithuanian, Ukranian, and Russian cultures was quite blurry until the mid-19th century). Racial relations are absent (Arabians don't view the medieval French as smelly barbarians, industrial era British don't view themselves inherently superior to Songhai, and I don't think I even need to talk about internal racism, eg. Manchu vs. other parts of China, former slave owners vs. former slaves, European settlers in Brazil vs. natives in Brazil). Ownership distributions (eg. state-owned assets, corporation-owned assets, communally-owned assets, assets owned by a few group of powerful individuals, assets owned by a large, divided group of individuals, etc.) are completely absent. Religion, when implemented, evolves separately from cultures (historically, cultures have often been shaped around the most prominent religions present, not just the other way around like the way Civ5 models religion) and education (for the longest time in human history, clergymen were usually at the forefront of education, with completely secular public education only really coming about in the 19th century, perhaps even later).

Actually Civ is simulation, not an emulation. And not a single program can argue to be an historical emulation. So obviously you will have omissions, shortcuts, simplifications, etc. Additionally, Civ is a game, that you have to play yourself, and win or lose one day. All this implies limitations and mutations in order to exist.

The main point is the following : will people feel they recreate History ? Granted, without culturally linked starting position like in the past three iterations, it's less obvious, but the goal is reached mostly, especially for the main stream.

So now, of course the game can improve with feedback, and your ideas are cool. But it's hard to stick perfectly with reality, the more when its perception is not unilateral. Your example of cities not being the core of society is eloquent : you are basically preaching the opposite, which is no more true. (huge cities existed in antiquity, a lot, and city-states also, etc.)

All this is dependent of knowledge, and not only ! Perceptions are involved also, as if it was not enough. So yeah, I think Civ can argue to recreate History for a majority of people. By the way, this is what claimed the devs, so let's trust them !

Civilization is not the same series as Galactic Civilization: the games are never built to only work in singleplayer. Major civ AIs in Civilization games are meant as stand-ins for human players, and only minor civs in Civ5 are AIs that are an actual part of the game's design. Even if you don't play multiplayer, the fact that multiplayer is possible plays a gigantic role in designing the game: you can no longer rely on AIs to balance out any game system, because there is always the possibility that a game will have no AIs (eg. 6 player multiplayer with no AI players), and you want your game to be good even then. And if multiplayer games of Civilization have proven anything, as human players can be more aggressive, unpredictable, and cunning than the best aggressive AI Firaxis an make, it's that expansion speedbumps are needed to keep the game fun.

I've played a number of fun multiplayer Civ games, and a number of boring ones too. Basically, the funniest were the ones with the most imbalance, when i was slashing noobs in rows, unless my tactic was shaped for those given maps and situations. The most boring ones were when everybody knew how to play and couldn't / didn't want to conquer. I've seen a Civ5 multiplayer let's play recently, the least I can say is that it was very boring ! Everyone turtled, no wars except at the end when the player tried to keep the winner to win. (and miserably failed, he argued it was because of "overpowered stealth bombers", but i for my part think it was because of a lack of cooperation, unless it was one of those FFAs (free for all) that unadvised gang ups.)
For instance this shows that additional rules have to be set in order to avoid unfairness. If Civ was designed for multiplayer, it would be an entirely different game.

Notice how even the strongest of starts don't put resources on every tile within 2 radius of your city, much like how you still don't get starts with absolutely zero yields. There comes a point where too much inequality becomes boring, both for the player with the advantage (no challenge to the game) and the player with the disadvantage (no chance at winning). Not having expansion speedbumps can make even the slightest inequalities (eg. you start with one more fish than your opponent) possibly snowball to the point of making the game boring.

The nature of tiles can be "equalized", but not really the space a given civ can have at start / get, at least within this kind of random maps that favour replayability / challenge. Corruption in that matter helps disminish the possible gaps between two civs, although it may have not been enough for some players. (I remember a game of Civ3 where I planted cities all around my capital, the time the other players found me / built an army I was unstoppable, could be at war with multiple civs and winning)

... except you forgot about the empire-wide population cap called "happiness" and percentage modifiers from wonders. IIRC, each new city that you found generates 4 unhappiness simply from being a new city: even without that stupidly powerful Monarchy policy (-1 unhappiness from every 2 pop in capitol), if you have 10 happiness, you can either have it as 10 population in one city or 6 population between two cities. With monarchy, it's either 15 population in your capitol or 8 population at most between two cities (7 in capitol, 1 in second city). You would need to capture a new luxury resource with each city to make up for the happiness loss, two new luxury resources with Monarchy.
As for percentage modifiers from wonders, since only one city can have a wonder, the yield bonus you get from a wonder that gives its yield bonus in % is greater if you have one, large city than if you have two, medium-sized cities. If you get 5 beakers from a single city, a +100% beakers boost (National College) gives you +5 beakers, while if you get 3 beakers from one city and 2 beakers from another, that same boost can only give you up to +3 beakers.

This doesn't change much. Massive population is no match with those calculations. Mostly because happiness =/= population. If you have enough happiness to set up a new city, then go for it. This is especially true if happiness goes up more quickly than your population, for example when you build settlers (workers improving resources, trading luxuries, bribing C-Ss, etc.) or when emphasizing production (building a wonder, a (happiness) building, units, etc.), or even depending on your land. (toundra, plains...)
Anyway, happiness is a hard limit, but you want to always push it back and get rid of it. (you have interest in doing so, that's what i mean) If you succeed, then more land = more power, etc. and the snowball is still there. You can see it actively versus high level expansionist AIs (Rome, Russia, etc.) : they are the best and harder to beat (when they succeed in expanding + conquering), and some times you can't even beat them. (if you let them live too much)

That limit really is nothing. You take a greater science "hit" from having your science-earning population spread out instead of being concentrated in your National College city (loss of potential yield) than you do from the arbitrary increase in science costs from city count.

I agree.

Though you did take it to extremes, I see you do get the general idea. 1UPT doesn't make larger armies weak, it just diminishes their strength to where building new units instead of settlers may no longer worth it after a point. Rushbuy lets you use gold, a resource you actually earn more from by having more cities, to replace both the hammer cost and the time to build the military units you could have built instead of settlers; the fact that it unlocks from the start means you can do this right from the start, while the fact that you don't need to dedicate a civic to it means there is no extra cost to Rushbuy. The fact that cities defend themselves essentially means whenever you settle a city, you not only get the usual city benefits, but you also create a permanent, ranged military unit that will defend your city: its only two disadvantages are that it cannot earn XP and cannot be used offensively, but otherwise it's like having built a military unit with your settler. These three combined mitigate so much of the risk associated with building settlers instead of military units that it no longer becomes much of a risk at all (and the rewards for settling a new city are huge if there is no speedbump).

I think your first point isn't valid the time you are building settlers. Your second point makes it so it's better to rushbuy settlers rather than units anyway ; so gold is always a bonus : PROVIDED YOU HAVE IT ! And most players don't rush buy units / settlers because gold is too scarce especially early. Remains your settler + unit, but you forget wonders and buildings : building buildings like granaries early or wonders can contribute to your success or your lack of.

Let's assume that there is no downside to settling a new city, other than the nuances of building and escorting a settler to a tile. When your city nears its population cap (which is when you would be building settlers anyway), spending production on buildings and wonders is not a viable alternative because you remain just as defenseless as if you had spent that production on a settler; the extra growth you get is wasted because you would be going over your population cap faster, while improved yields from a single building are easily eclipsed by the yields you could get from being able to work another set of up to 20/36 tiles with a new city.
The only real alternative is therefore to build military units. However, new technologies unlock stronger military units, and while building military units does nothing to increase your science, settling a new city does. This means that although pumping out military units would be a good alternative at first, any player who can keep their second city for 10 or so turns will gain a tech advantage over you, which they could use to make units that would win in a fight against your numerically superior but technologically inferior army. On the flipside, it would also make games incredibly boring: since there is no disadvantage to owning more cities, only for investing in the settler to found them, the player who creates warriors instead of settlers will always be able to capture the other player's second city without any negative effects. This means that the only move that cannot lose when near another player is to spam military units (you win if they go settler, stalemate if they also spam), so the first couple of turns in the game would just be cities producing units, units, and more units.

I have no idea where you come from with this no more than where you go, but from what i can understand it seems just like an objection on-the-go : what you describe is actually valid for any civilization game up to date. The thing is, if you don't build up exclusively military units, it's genuinely because you have space to expand first, not because any other deeper reason. Also, if you don't automatically attack any close civ in Civ always, it's because defense is better than attack : you have to put a lot more resources into attacks than in defense, so you do it only when you lack room. However with AIs that are aggressive / in higher difficulty levels, building up military early might be necessary depending on diplomacy / other game systems, but it's not a no brainer.

I don't know if you've ever played Civ4 multiplayer, but the reason people built warriors instead of settlers before reaching city population cap was not because of possible city maintenance, but because of the lost growth from settlers. In fact, if you built warriors and then a settler, you would usually end up producing your settler on the same turn as a player who started off building a settler, simply because the extra yields gained from city growth during warrior production make up for the time not spent on building settlers.

And ?

Uh, because gold is an empire-wide currency, I would actually call it "macromanagement" instead of micromanagement. There is no fiddling around with units, chop timings, city automation, or any other source of micromanagement. You don't have to worry about swapping citizens back and forth between tiles every turn. Everything can be resolved by planning ahead, and citizen automation has become a good enough algorithm that you often don't even have to go into a city to force someone to work your cottages; heck, automated workers will build enough cottages to the point that you really only need to worry about what stuff you build in your cities. It's the exact opposite of micromanagement, which is about constantly monitoring individual situations and acting accordingly.

You have indeed the choice of automation, but it's far to be advised in higher difficulty levels. OK, automated workers will build cottages (but when ?), ok the city governors will work them (when ?), etc. The automations have no ideas of the meta game and your difficulty level. So it's still micromanagement, technically. (I don't care theoracally)

Civ3's corruption had one no-brainer path. Civ5 has a few no-brainer paths (roughly 2-6, depending on the map, any player or AI handicaps, and your civ) to choose from, though more experienced players will usually know instantly which path is most optimal in a given situation. Civ4 has a lot of no-brainer paths to the point where while you can definitely determine what not to do in a given situation, the best thing to do precisely is lot more player- and skill level-dependent than map-, difficulty, or civ-dependent.

More than one path is not a no-brainer anymore, eventhough it's a funny way to put it. On what are you basing yourself in order to say that ? Can you give examples ? I have difficulties to see how Civ5 could have 2-6 paths when your choices are limited in a game like Civ (we already mentionned it : military buildings, non military buildings ?)

You answered your own question right there. You have to manage rules, so if the rules are made in such a way as to make managing them fun, it doesn't matter how arbitrary they may seem. Arbitrariness is only a problem when it does not serve to increase the number of high-quality options.
The "arbitrary" limitation on city expansion increases number of high-quality options: it makes options that are not expanding be of similar quality as expanding.

I mean, isn't it more fun to be confronted directly to other civs rather than following rules of self-developement, as balanced as they seem ?

Moderator Action: We seem to have run very far off what this thread title is about.

This thread is supposed to be about Civ 1/2/3 corruption with contrast Civ IV & V models for slowing down city founding.

Please move all other topics into their own threads in the appropriate forum.

I'm up for a new thread. Make it and quote somebody who's not yourself and I'll come.

---
On topic though, I think that question is answered. Civ1/2/3 corruption is not good enough for the strict reason that , to make expanding not great like your other cities is not enough. Expanding to another city has to sometimes be worse than doing nothing at all (but waiting), but cities that are bonuses, even flattened ones under corruption penalties, are better than nothing. In particular, if the bonuses are not managed - and that includes situations where those satellites are terrible at almost everything, and awful at everything else - then the situation can create problems over and above having not even tried to curb expansion at all!

The rough picture of cities that immediately cost you something is good and well-argued. It remains in contention whether a cost that you can -never- get over would improve gameplay (if the city always loses you something for being there): I suggested that a bump to REX is, while a good goal, perhaps not the only goal. And curiosity abounds for how to model empire expansion (and the tightly involved conquest mechanism) from simulationist, historical, and game engineering perspectives.

But if that first point stands, then the "original about" is answered and this thread is done.
But Naukokodem does not seem satisfied, which is troublesome, because I cannot tell what his opinion actually is, nor can I detect any arguments in his posts. Well, the parts that do appear to be an argument are completely talking past whoever he is quoting at the time, not meeting the statements of the other.
If what you're saying is a counterargument you have to help us to understand why. "Non-sequitur" is a formal property of statements; it doesn't mean what you're saying is irrelevant, it just means the relevance is not apparent.

On topic though, I think that question is answered. Civ1/2/3 corruption is not good enough for the strict reason that , to make expanding not great like your other cities is not enough. Expanding to another city has to sometimes be worse than doing nothing at all (but waiting), but cities that are bonuses, even flattened ones under corruption penalties, are better than nothing. In particular, if the bonuses are not managed - and that includes situations where those satellites are terrible at almost everything, and awful at everything else - then the situation can create problems over and above having not even tried to curb expansion at all!

The fact that every city will improve your outputs, or some of them, is the reason why we want to expand until our frontiers touch the ones of our potential enemies or why we settle in rough lands, so that the earth would be totally populated in a given time. This, IMO is essential to a rational experience, just because it feels so odd to have large gaps in Civ5, so the game becomes more a game of chess with artificial rules and go away dramatically from its theme.

Additionnally, settling a weak city is not always good : particularly at the beginning, when settlers put a certain time to be constructed, and halting your growth, you want this setback to be catched up as soon as possible with powerfull and miningful cities, otherwise the risk window would never shut up. It may be ok to build settlers when they cost you only 1 or two turn max of stagnancy, but it would cost player attention and at that time it wouldn't be about general strategy anymore, only side strategy. (optimization and present and future strategic resources grab)

Top Bottom