Dubai as a city state

Should dubai be a city state?

• Yes

Votes: 158 82.3%
  • No

Votes: 34 17.7%

• Total voters
Thank you. I knew I was thinking of that thread, but I couldn't find it.

o.O <- well the dev did a really poor job.. or a good job... because I never ntoiced, I always assumed it depended on their city style for the music. Well.. my bad.

That's not entirely true. Unless they changed it, they used to have unique music specifically for that city-state. This adds a touch of work for them.

Anyway, I'd love to see Dubai for a Maritime (I guess, otherwise maybe Mercantile). Its success is fairly recent, but it's also been impressive. If it isn't in, I'd strongly consider swapping Ur for Dubai and moving Ur to Cultural or Religious.

Yeah I forgot about the little jingle each city-state gets. Also there is a Civilopedia entry for each one, some of which can get pretty long. So it's more than just a noun (ie. Venice) and adjective (Venetian).

I also wouldn't mind if Burj Khalifa were to be a wonder, even if it would have little effect for being so late in the game.

If any skyscraper is a wonder it should be the Empire State Building, it's the most iconic and culturally significant skyscraper and held the title of world's tallest building longer than any other skyscraper. I don't oppose the Burj Khalifa being in the game, I think a world's tallest building series of wonder could be a nice boon to culture and science players. However, if what we are doing is adding a representative of skyscrapers as a whole we should go with the greatest skyscraper and that's the Empire State Building. Despite it's size the Burj Khalifa isn't really that impressive. A far greater building is the Burj Al Arab. Much of the building's façade is made out of fabric, which makes it more unique achievement, plus it works well with BNW's mechanics.

Well we could have bahrain instead of dubai but BNW has panama city which was also a partially recent importance to the world. Dubai is pretty new but it's gonna be considered historical in centuries to come.

Actually Panama City was key to the Spanish empire. It was the first Spanish city on the Pacific, was a staging point for the conquest of the Inca, and much of the gold and silver that went to Spain passed through Panama City. The Panama Canal only enhanced Panama City's importance it didn't make it.

Actually Panama City was key to the Spanish empire. It was the first Spanish city on the Pacific, was a staging point for the conquest of the Inca, and much of the gold and silver that went to Spain passed through Panama City. The Panama Canal only enhanced Panama City's importance it didn't make it.

But Panama was part of New Spain then, it wasn't really it's own nation, so I don't think that that's the basis off which the Devs had included Panama for.

They should add a Kiev city-state.

But Panama was part of New Spain then, it wasn't really it's own nation, so I don't think that that's the basis off which the Devs had included Panama for.

I don't really see what independence has to do with it. The cited example of Bahrain has changed hands many times before gaining independence, in fact Panama got its independence first. My point was that Panama City's importance, like Bahrain's, is not a recent development. Unlike Dubai which was fishing village well into the 20th century, and only over the last few decades had become a major center of world commerce.

Dubai is an excellent candidate for a modern cs, but Panama City has been an important city for far longer and thus the comparison to Dubai is a little off.

Hear! Hear!

:bowdown:

I barely prevent myself from writing this request in every thread. Quite an old city, which was one of the most important cities in Eastern Europe during Middle Ages. Despite its relative importance declined significantly since that time, the country it represents played a huge role in world wars. Still, nobody in Firaxis cares about, as I see. My last hope is that Polish civ is rather incomplete without some city-state representing Ukraine (Kyiv or Lviv).

Kiev absolutely should be in. Would you say mercantile, militaristic, or what? Keeping in mind that it'll probably represent Kiev at its height. This means that, while Ukraine is a part of it, we're really talking the Kievan Rus.

Kiev absolutely should be in. Would you say mercantile, militaristic, or what? Keeping in mind that it'll probably represent Kiev at its height. This means that, while Ukraine is a part of it, we're really talking the Kievan Rus.

In case Kyiv represents Rus, I would take it as religious city-state, since it was (and still is to some extent) a center of Eastern Orthodoxy. However, the other traits are also quite plausible (maybe not maritime, but the bonus of maritime city-states suits Ukraine pretty much), though one can argue that it is common for capitals to be militaristic, mercantile and cultural centers.

I don't really see what independence has to do with it. The cited example of Bahrain has changed hands many times before gaining independence, in fact Panama got its independence first. My point was that Panama City's importance, like Bahrain's, is not a recent development. Unlike Dubai which was fishing village well into the 20th century, and only over the last few decades had become a major center of world commerce.

Dubai is an excellent candidate for a modern cs, but Panama City has been an important city for far longer and thus the comparison to Dubai is a little off.

I wasn't comparing Panama City to Dubai, and by all means, it would make a great CS candidate, I merely mean that I think the Devs would want to take a more modern look at Panama City.

:bowdown:

I barely prevent myself from writing this request in every thread. Quite an old city, which was one of the most important cities in Eastern Europe during Middle Ages. Despite its relative importance declined significantly since that time, the country it represents played a huge role in world wars. Still, nobody in Firaxis cares about, as I see. My last hope is that Polish civ is rather incomplete without some city-state representing Ukraine (Kyiv or Lviv).

Great way to also sort of include the Kievian Rus, though that was a group of City-States as a recall, more than one, although Kiev was the most important one.

I see no reason why any of the ideas mentioned wouldn't work. I think with City-States even more than full civs you could make an argument for hundreds of cities both ancient and modern and they would work. I think some variation is nice for flavour but unless they start adding Santa's Workshop I wouldn't be mad with any choice.

Warsaw - Yes
Cahokia - Historical
Jerusalem - Historical
Budapest - Yes
Jakarta - Yes
Zurich - No
Geneva - No
Sydney - No
Venice - No
Florence - Historical, but debatable
La Venta - Debatable
Genoa - No
Ragusa - No
Quebec City - No
Hong Kong - No
Prague - Yes
Bucharest - Yes
Lhasa - Historical
Manila - Yes
Belgrade - Yes
Tyre - No
Mombasa - No...
Brussels - Yes
Zanzibar - No
Monaco - Yes, but... complicated
Antwerp - No
Lisbon - Yes
Marrakech - Historical
Yerevan - Historical
Milan - No
Almaty - Historical
Cape Town - No
Kathmandu - Yes
Sidon - No
Hanoi - Yes
Colombo - No, but complicated
Wittenberg - No
Rio de Janeiro - Historical
Vatican City - Yes, technically
Singapore - Yes...
Kuala Lumpur - Yes
Valletta - Yes

That's going off memory, so I may have an error or two in there, but long story short, there are plenty of city states that aren't capitals or historically the capital.

Menzies,

Sydney was the capital of Australia before Canberra was founded.

Quebec City was the co-capital of Canada (with Toronto) before Ottawa was designated capital.

Colombo is the current capital of Sri Lanka.

Jerusalem is the current capital of Israel.

Quebec City was also the capital of New France, which was arguably 'the height' on it's importance, as city states should be measured at.

Colombo is not the capital of Sri Lanka. The capital is Sri Jayawardenapura Kotte, a suburb of Colombo.

I'd also say that Genoa was capital of Republic of Genoa, which the city state seems to be based on.

What about Antwerp? I'm not sure the point of nitpicking which cities might arguably be a capital either way. I don't think that precludes them from including other important cities - especially cities that have some arguable autonomy.

Quebec City was also the capital of New France, which was arguably 'the height' on it's importance, as city states should be measured at.

Colombo is not the capital of Sri Lanka. The capital is Sri Jayawardenapura Kotte, a suburb of Colombo.

I'd also say that Genoa was capital of Republic of Genoa, which the city state seems to be based on.

You are right. Sri Jayawardenapura Kotte is the current capital of Sri Lanka (although Colombo is the former capital of Sri Lanka). I had been using my "old" atlases (even as recent as the late 1990s, but recent enough not to use Ceylon).

Top Bottom