Workers - auto or not?

Correct. And if the capital has a harbor, every city connected by harbor gets the RR bonus immediately.

You really do learn something new everyday. In the past I've only built harbors if its an island I didn't even build them for the capital.

If you only build harbors on islands, but not in your capital, no trade route is connected.

Ok so if I understand as long as you have one city that is connected to your capital that has a harbor then your capital itself does not have to actually have one?

If you mean capital has a working road connection to coastal city A, coastal city A has a harbor and coastal city B has a harbor and a clear sea route to coastal city A, then, yes, both coastal cities will have trade route connections to the capital -- coastal city A by road and coastal city B by a combo of harbor connection and road.

Once you have Astronomy, it effectively means neither harbor is blockaded. Before Astronomy, where sea routes are limited to coastal tiles, it means open borders with any civs that own coastal tiles that are required for passage between your capital and that city (if there are multiple routes, you just need one route to work).

This War Academy article was written for vanilla, but is still accurate: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=438745

I originally did automate my workers. Recently, I have been watching a lot of LPs in attempt get better at playing Civ; one common thing that I find with the hosts is that they do not automate workers or scouts.

I just tried that with the recent campaign. While it is tedious, it is much more effective in managing your empire for many reasons already stated.

I wish you could queue worker orders, the way you can with build orders (don't tell me this is already possible or I will explode. Literally. :p). Automation is teh stoopid, but oftentimes I know in advance how I'll want the land developed. Then I have to click 1,500 times... This is Civ, not Diablo. ;)

I wish you could queue worker orders, the way you can with build orders (don't tell me this is already possible or I will explode. Literally. :p). Automation is teh stoopid, but oftentimes I know in advance how I'll want the land developed. Then I have to click 1,500 times... This is Civ, not Diablo. ;)

Er... Can you tell me what the 'not possible' possibility is? Because it sounds like you know of a "non possible" way to make it a little more efficient way of providing orders to workers without the standard automation.

Any tips would be helpful, even if it is not the best solution.

It's not possible to queue anything but road/rail building. Would be a cool mod tho. Select worker, click magic mod button, click tile, select improvement, repeat.

Even better would be a 'semi-automation' kind of thingy where you give a (modifiable) list of priorities. Like so:

1. Improve luxuries in this order (Salt, Gems, xx, yy, etc)
2. Farm Wheat (river first, then dry)
3. Improve strategic resources
4. Farm river hills
5. etc etc ...

Basically you'd write your own AI for automatic workers in every game (the game would remember the settings at the start of the next same-era game ofc), with a couple of easy clicks. Then you'd only have to interfere in special situations; you could keep a few workers unautomated for 'precision work'. I guess the reason this hasn't been tried is that the average dimwit (erm, customer) out there hasn't got the noodle to grasp the concept. Frankly I'm amazed some people have families and houses etc. given their apparent lack of intellectual abilities.

Granted, even I am not genius enough to actually program this. ;) Sure wish I was though.

Now queuing is easy enough to grasp, and it's there with buildings already, so there's no reason this shouldn't be in Civ V or at least Civ VI imo.

Edit: Presuming unlimited Civilian stacking for both systems. Otherwise... No, let's not even go there (pun intended). :lol:

Top Bottom