Riders of Lost Ark

altayrneto

Prince
I was reading that objects found by archaeologists can be used as great works, so I thought we did great archaeological treasures of mankind, as the Ark of the Covenant, the Crystal Skulls, the Spear of Destiny and the Holy Grail? They could (or not) give bonus to civilization that possessed, for example, a military bonus for those who have the Ark of the Covenant ...

I am curious as to how exactly it's gonna work? If you find an artefact and make it into a great work, is it gonna be a real art work (i.e Mona Lisa) or is it going to be unique artworks that are more "treasury-e"

I really dislike El Dorado and the Fountain of Youth in the game right now, so I'd rather they stick to real wondrous archaeological finds, like the tomb of Tutankhamen.

From what we've been told, the artifacts are going to be objects from events in your game, not from real history. Artifacts from ancients battles, barbarians camps, ancient ruins, razed cities and pillage resources. Finding "real" artifacts the Ark of the Convenant or Tut's Tomb don't sound compatible with that kind of system.

They talked about special, more hidden artefacts being there when you finish the Exploration tree, as well. These might still be created from old events, but I can see them getting special names, who knows?

Riders? We already have a Landship into Petra achievement...

From what we've been told, the artifacts are going to be objects from events in your game, not from real history. Artifacts from ancients battles, barbarians camps, ancient ruins, razed cities and pillage resources. Finding "real" artifacts the Ark of the Convenant or Tut's Tomb don't sound compatible with that kind of system.

I kind of wonder about those "hidden sites". Are they spawned from game-historic events or could they be some kind of Epic Artifacts like Tut's Tomb?

I kind of wonder about those "hidden sites". Are they spawned from game-historic events or could they be some kind of Epic Artifacts like Tut's Tomb?

No info yet. BTW, it's completely possible to have Ramesses Tomb from game-historic events :lol:

From all the info that we have gathered so far, there seems to be a kind of a "3 layers" type of exploration:

- First there's the regular exploration of goodie huts at the beggining of the game that we all know, with their minor rewards about gold pieces, extra units and the likes

- The second phase starts with the discovery of archeology, which will let us retrieve artifacts from previous events in our game in order to increase culture and tourism. It seems to me that these findings will be grounded on game context rather than realistism. Say, "British ancient armour" found at a previous battle site or "Brazilian funerary complex" at some remote location inside Brazil's frontiers

- The third and final phase will happen once you finish the exploration tree. This one seems to be the one fitted for some historical, non-randomized type of archeological discoveries, with some powerful, global effects. Rather than starting with some "lost ark" type of facepalm worthy things, there are many historical archeological breakouts that would fit well here: Tutankhamon's tomb, the ruins of Troy, Genghis Khan's Tomb, Gobleki Tepe...

Yep, it seems that exploration will be freaking awesome in this game, and I cannot wait to try it out.

Yeah, Archaeology accompanied with the new Exploration SP sounds so cool! and I really like the "Indiana Jones" look on the archaeologist unit.

I think they (devs) really nailed the improvements to the game with this expansion. Religion and Espionage were kind of standart (seen before) mechanics but BNW stuff Great Works, Archaeology etc. are really innovative additions. Not to say G&K wasn't a great expansion which it was by all standarts.

Can't wait to get my hands on it. This is the first time I look forward more the new game mechanics than new Civs. :D

- The third and final phase will happen once you finish the exploration tree. This one seems to be the one fitted for some historical, non-randomized type of archeological discoveries, with some powerful, global effects. Rather than starting with some "lost ark" type of facepalm worthy things, there are many historical archeological breakouts that would fit well here: Tutankhamon's tomb, the ruins of Troy, Genghis Khan's Tomb, Gobleki Tepe...

I am wondering about this too. Will the Hidden Sites be linked to game events like the other ones (essentially being extra Antiquity Sites), or will they be more unique?

Those associated with actual historical leaders (particularly those in the game, like Genghis) not so much, but it would be very cool to be able to find Gobekli Tepi, The Dead Sea Scrolls, The Rosetta Stone, and other famous historical sites/artefacts that couldn't be represented as wonders.

From all the info that we have gathered so far, there seems to be a kind of a "3 layers" type of exploration:

- First there's the regular exploration of goodie huts at the beggining of the game that we all know, with their minor rewards about gold pieces, extra units and the likes

- The second phase starts with the discovery of archeology, which will let us retrieve artifacts from previous events in our game in order to increase culture and tourism. It seems to me that these findings will be grounded on game context rather than realistism. Say, "British ancient armour" found at a previous battle site or "Brazilian funerary complex" at some remote location inside Brazil's frontiers

Yep, it seems that exploration will be freaking awesome in this game, and I cannot wait to try it out.

I think that the second layer would be the dicovery of other civilizations to trade with, fight, or to make a Congress with. The end of the exploration tree, in my opinion, would be like a bonus to the third layer, Archeology. Anyways, I like your third idea a lot. It would certainly be possible to make things like tombs and ancient cities. This does make me wonder, and hope, that wonders like Macchu Picchu or Petra could be on those bonus site lists as well.

I do hope that the artifacts are actual historic artifacts (e.g., Rosetta Stone, Vulture Stella, etc.). They can still be triggered by past events. It sounds unlikely, but the comments so far haven't been specific enough to be confident either way.

I do hope that the artifacts are actual historic artifacts (e.g., Rosetta Stone, Vulture Stella, etc.). They can still be triggered by past events. It sounds unlikely, but the comments so far haven't been specific enough to be confident either way.

If each of the Work of Art slots are either Writing Piece, Painting and Music Piece... what type are the artefacts then o.O

If each of the Work of Art slots are either Writing Piece, Painting and Music Piece... what type are the artefacts then o.O

They did mention that you could place them in museums, so let's see what type of slots does the museum have! :D
Spoiler :

... Oh... While some building require a specific type, it appears some doesn't, those being the museum, the broadcast tower, and that last building.
So i'm guessing artifacts are their own type, since they don't fit any of the others...

Forget that - it only means the building hasn't been built yet (went to check the Dennis Q&A demo)

The museum holds Paintings, so I guess artifacts fits those...

I don't remember where I heard this but I remember hearing that the artifacts would just be found great works. It may have been an info-thirst induced halucination though.

Im hoping they replace El Dorado with a new NW, and instead use the graphic for these hidden special ruins.

I don't remember where I heard this but I remember hearing that the artifacts would just be found great works. It may have been an info-thirst induced halucination though.

Yeah, I think they said in the latest demo that you could eiter choose to make an antiquity site a Landmark or cultivate a Great Work from it.

Im hoping they replace El Dorado with a new NW, and instead use the graphic for these hidden special ruins.

That's an interesting idea. A compromise might be to have one of the special ruins be El Dorado (or have a chance to be El Dorado if it happens to appear in the game). Of course, it wasn't an Archaeologist who searched.

I get the point that it's the only indisputably man-made (well, aside from disputing that it ever existed) natural wonder, so it's a bit odd. It makes sense as a ruin.

Top Bottom