NDNESVI(Reboot): Myths, Legends, and Gods

ooc: Well you certainly muddied the waters as far as mortal ability to perceive the threads of fate is concerned. As for Tai a few comments (Vash's character isn't the type to embark on a back and forth long-distance debate, and his character almost certainly wouldn't deign a reply) see below for ooc considerations.

Spoiler :
1: Vash is the god of fate and change. Ones fate can and does change and I conceive of Vash as being "The god who changes fates" if we go by curatorial terminology.

2: Vash not once has said that the gods have defied providence (he has said this of mortalkind in general, what that means I leave to you to decipher since you could take it multiple ways), or that they have been unjust in their acts towards him. He has of course said they have sinned (by their actions) as a moral judgement, and that their actions have received a "just chastisement" (ergo: action leading to consequence, with the choice because it was freely chosen, demanding providential punishment [karma] even if the choice was preordained).

3: Vash is quite serenely cognizant and accepting of the fact that the gods act in accordance to their purpose. He's basically said that with the eye being closed there is no longer any "necessity" for a quarrel (ergo purpose as it applies to the relevant gods does not demand that it be so), and that the current state in their relationship with Vash can change according to their "penance" (ie changing of their perspective, amending their position on quarrelling with Vash, ergo making their peace with the current state of affairs). Vash for his part has no beef with any of the gods per se.

4: The oracle is in what I consider an appropriate tone for an oracle from a god of Vash's nature, so its obviously not in Taiesque plainspeak. Hence I'm fine if you interpret his meaning as you will. :p

-

~ story may be inserted here later. ~

Excellent stories everyone!

Also, I totally forgot to let you guys know that the front page has been updated. I might continue to tinker with it here and there, but the bulk of important information is available. As for an order deadline, let's shoot for July 7th. Just two more updates until we delve into Stage II!

You all have one day to get your orders in! I'd love to see this NES continue, but I can't if I'm not receiving orders. As it stands I only have 2 sets in, so I'd like to see them rolling in soon. I will forgive late submissions since I understand that it has been an eventful week for those of us in the good ol USA, but no more than a couple days late.

ORDERS just in case

2/2

1 Major action
I am everywhere with the cold, and so I am within all. I will contact everything, all life and non-life, all gods and all things. I feel your pain. I know my cold hurts you. I ask my northern and southern cold lands will not be ever harmed and that my winds will be used only to cause good. In return I shall take away my cold and change it.
And then create a new type of magic, the one that is everywhere all the time, the one that comes from a cold calculating mind rather than actual cold. Psychic powers!

1 Major action
As I change away from mere temperature cold to the cold of mental being and thought I want to maintain my frozen lands. I will build a great pillar, a pole, that goes from the north to the south through the land and make it into a sphere. The Pole will connect the north and south directly through the planet and maintain cold temperatures in the north and south always, if one ever warms, the other will cool it.

1 Minor action
The gods play with human and giant kinds all the time. Let them know there is another way. Make humans and giants more resistant to the influence of gods.

1 Minor action
The new giants. The frost giants will forever be the largest, but after my walk to the eye many found themselves in new, much warmer lands. They will turn into hill giants, sand giants and other kinds of giants. They will be smaller than the frost giants, and won't have the ability to live in the cold like them, but they will also not have an innate need for the cold. And there will be more of them than of the frost giants. Because everyone deserve some power.

Major Action:

Having located them after years of study and divination, Statute will unite the Mind, the Body, and the Soul of Balaphon in Onoqu. Under the guise of a great necromancer, he will open a portal to Nital's hell by sacrificing all three of them in a blood magic ritual. The immense magical power released by the sacrifice of the world's most powerful blood mages will rip a hole in reality, temporarily linking this world and the Worlds Below. Statute will offer Nital, in return for three Obligations, the opportunity to enter and ravage the mortal world he so hates. If Nital agrees, an unbreakable magical contract will formed between the two, and Statute will pull Nital through the portal into the mortal realm.

The First Obligation - You may not and may never harm Statute and his subjects.
The Second Obligation - Find, and break, Vash Godslayer, and bring his broken body, alive, to Amaranthinium. Destroy anything and anyone in your path who is not a follower of Statute.

The Third Obligation will as of yet remain unused. Statute will keep his machinations to free Nital secret from all the other gods. To the rest of the world, it should look like the God of Destruction broke free of his own accord, having finally figured out how to escape his prison. (Note: Speak with Nital using the Crimson Skull before opening said portal, to ensure the contract is sealed before the way is opened.) Naturally, freeing Nital from his prison will release enough destructive energy to turn Onoqu and the surrounding areas into a blasted hellscape, but them's the breaks.

Minor Action: In his public incarnation as bearer of justice, Statute will continue to enrich the Amaranthine Empire. Granaries, banks, harbors, and roads made out of shimmering crystalline stone of different color will appear in and between the major cities, enabling the Amaranthine Empire to continue to expand quickly from the heartland of the Bay of Lapis, and creating the first colonies on the main continent. Armories filled with crystal weapons and armor will appear as well, allowing the growth of an efficient, organized military.

Minor Action: In order to help his humans resist calamities and the spread of unnatural pestilences and other occurrences, Statute will plant the Crystal Trees in the cities of his empire. These will be strange, shimmering trees that will always produce the same quantity of glowing, nourishing fruit, regardless of the weather. Furthermore, as a living mineral, the Crystal Trees draw their power from the earth itself, not the sun. These trees will allow the Empire to overcome its food crisis and continue to grow, until it becomes the dominant human power on the planet.

Minor Action: In cooperation with Nyubar, Statute will form an order of human paladins, the Adamant, imbued by Statute with the ability to judge all neutrally, and Nyubar with the ability to have one foot outside the gate, giving them immunity to mortal magic and the inability to die, until they themselves choose to. The purpose of the Adamant is to hunt down the world's great magical criminals and abominations, and either take them safely to the Amaranthinium, or execute them if this is impossible. (See Nyubar's orders for more detail)

Major action: In light of how hilariously destructive the past few hundred years have been, the amount of people missing various bodily objects has skyrocketed. Therefore, I will devise plans for easily* manufactured metal replacement limbs. It's basically a core of [redacted for sanity purposes] which gives (a form of) life to a limb-shaped shell. Initially, they will be crude and probably made of bronze. Industrious individuals might find they can be easily modified with blades. These plans will be shared with one mad and/or clever inventor of each race (cept humans, who get one per continent) through a dream, and they damn well better give me some credit.

*compared to growing a new one

Minor action: create a small race of imps who randomly show up behind mortals just to sarcastically tell them how wrong they are when they just did something dumb

Minor action: rebuild all the destroyed portals, with interest. Give my chosen mortal families extremely limited maps of the network to encourage shenanigans.

Major: Deepen and Broaden Contact Zone between Pattern and Backdrop. Self-Similar Patterns Propagate.

Minor: Self Dictates Fluid Dynamics. Air and Water Resemble Patterns Inherent in Form.

Minor: Shadow of Entity Appears in Isolated Consciousnesses. Dreams and Visions Hint at True Shape of _________.

Beware the stone
Above the sky,

Beware the light,
That blind mirage.

Beware the dark
Behind your eyes,

But first, beware
The Bakaraj.

Update 4: 1500 A.C. - 1600 A.C.​

The Long Winter. The Age of Ice. Kross’s Triumph.

It had many names, this period of unparalleled hardship and death. In those grim years, the First Sun limped over the horizon for a short while, before dipping below in haste. Thick clouds laden with snow masked his flight, his presence only revealed by a pale light barely piercing the cloud cover. Such light offered no warmth or comfort for those below, who toiled and struggled whilst under assault by the elements. Winter crept through the woods, starving out wild game. It raced over the fields, freezing the soil. Finally, it approached the homes of mortals, clawing at the doors. At the windows. At their throats. At their stomachs. At their minds.

Old champions of justice and retribution followed these grim conditions. Giants; punishers of Vash, old allies against the dragons and the decadence of Vasheroth. Men and women of the river valleys of the south welcomed them with gifts and open arms, but the people of the northern woods knew all too well what was happening. Northerners knew the century’s previous visit had been a rare exception. The giants had restrained themselves, focused on the destruction of Vash’eth in the presence of their creator Kross. But the giants were not blind; they saw the wealth of the southerners. How numerous they were. How they shrank before the presence of Kross. Now the world had changed to their liking, and lesser men continued to shrink as the giants waxed in might.

The aforementioned northerners bent the knee quietly, knowing that their numbers were too few to withstand the giants. Some fled to the Temple of Fuku, which had fallen into a state of disrepair and decay. It served refugees well; older giants recalled the power of a spiteful adherent to Fuku and restrained the more eager invaders from putting the temple to the sword. Those unwilling or unable to take up refuge in that grim edifice offered what little tribute they could, expecting the usual lip service and offerings to remove the invaders. For the most part it was true… but the giants continued south, to the northerners’ confusion. More disconcerting was the flood of settlers that poured in from the northern wastes and wilds. It wasn’t just a series of conquests. It was a migration.

As the massive invaders continued south, resistance became even less intense, giving the giants more momentum. Cities opened their gates and hailed the giants as old friends, unaware of the danger outside the walls. Many a ruler found themselves pressured into giving lands to the giants, followed quickly by exclusive rights, and before finally being replaced by them. “Honoring the old alliances” became a popular pretext for these actions; had not the giants fought and bled for the rest of the world? Stretching all the way from the Krossing to the Font of Yagna, lesser men found themselves under the rule of these “old allies”. Some giants even attempted to cross the sea and enter the Bay of Lapis, before “visiting” the rich lands of the Amaranthine Empire. Instead, rumors of crystalline spears and sparkling legions hurling the invaders back into the sea had been heard, although many just chalked it up to a freak storm and the ramblings of some survivors.

Truth be told, the Amaranthine Empire had little difficulty repelling the rag-tag band of giants who had rowed their way onto its shores. Expecting easy conquest, the giants were sorely mistaken when they saw a land largely operating as it had in the past. Beautiful trees, made of crystal and bearing delicious fruit, continued to sustain the granaries and people of the empire. Soldiers enforcing the laws and decrees coming from the Amaranthinium quickly discovered the interlopers, determined their intent, and set about detaining them. Those that could not be brought back to the capital fled into the mountains, creating crude mountain hide-outs.

Other new arrivals were less troublesome, as more and more men sought the prosperous shores of the Amaranthine Empire. With these migrants came rumors of a world not quite as fortunate as those that toiled in the shadow of the Amaranthinium. Men clung to the sprites of Nyubar, creating islands of security and shelter amidst a sea of hardship. Even these havens were no guarantee of survival; mortals spilled blood to control those blessed sites. The Font of Yagna continued to flow, but so many made the pilgrimage to that holy place that throngs of mortals crowded around it at all hours. Men died of thirst mere moments away from tasting its waters, arms outstretched in desperation.

Not all words were laden with tales of death. Some grumbled that Vash, the supposed Usurper and great enemy of all righteous gods, had been seen assisting and saving mere mortals at random. Entire settlements owed their existence to Vash’s guidance, pre-empting horrific disasters or preparing mortals for particularly horrible storms. Many began to doubt what they had heard about the Godslayer. The Three had been seen as the righteous party in that distant conflict, yet was it not one of the Three that now cursed the world with unending cold? Now Vash was heard once more, after centuries of silence, with promises of spring, helping those few mortals that would listen to him get through the trials ahead. Of course the stalwart followers of several gods dismissed these claims. Vash was the Usurper. The crafty Changer. He could not be trusted.

In these most desperate of days, the god Rios gave the gift of eccentricity and mad genius to a select few individuals, blessing them with visions of gears and filigree. Of flesh turned metallic. These few geniuses, eager to rip their visions from their skulls and into the world, set about crafting artificial limbs for those who might need them. In some cases, no available subjects could be found. In those instances, certain…measures were taken to change those circumstances. The craft became known for its duality; the brutality and grisly nature surrounding the actual procedures, and the beauty and utility of the finished product. These limbs became especially popular among those that were subject to frostbite; some diehard explorers found all of their limbs replaced, no longer having to fear the bite of winter on their extremities.

The gods looked at these deplorable conditions and the desperate lengths mortals were going through to survive. Self-mutilation and limb replacement aside, mortals did what they could to retain both their livelihood and their health. The jungles of Vasheroth and of the Alari were battered by unending storms brought on by the abnormal weather, but suffered not the constant snowfall of other regions, and so became desirable locations for those willing to brave the dangers of the jungle. The Woods of Many Minds attracted many for its lack of snowfall, and distant wanderers disregarded the warnings of locals. Villages uprooted themselves and were dead set on eking out an existence just outside the Woods. Some brave souls dared to trek further north, but were never seen again by their loved ones in any recognizable form. Wisps were seen here and there, and the Order of Many Minds made good use of the confusion caused by the constant migrations.

Beneath the waves, even the usually unified Typhans found themselves at odds with one another. Local rulers had begun emulating the martial prowess of Harika, styling themselves as great warriors and leaders of armies. Militias were formed and drilled endlessly, although actual duties remained mainly ceremonial. But with no end to winter in sight, prime harvesting waters became battlegrounds, and for the first time the Typhan armies engaged in large full-blown war Their corpses washed up on the shores of the world, grim reminders of a world beneath the waves. A world whose struggles mirrored those of the terrestrials.

Throughout it all, Kross watched from his icy realm in the north. The dominance of his followers. Fields lying fallow. Corpses frozen in the wilderness. Mortals huddled in strange lands, clinging to dear life. He pitied them, and knew he was at least partially to blame for their suffering. It was his energy that pulsed through the ley-network. Kross’s vision of a snow-covered paradise, a world made suitable for him.

He had to give it up.

The titan of ice began to strain, attempting to bend all the cold of the world to his will. It was a task as difficult and inconceivable as counting the drops of water in the ocean, Kross knew he could not account for every last bit of power that had been dispersed into the world. But he could make it far more manageable. Planting his feet into the frozen ground, Kross erected a pillar of pure ice out of the ground, and then drove it through the earth. Again he strained, this time against the fabric of creation itself. Giants reported hearing the titan cracking under the pressure of this great labor. Yet Kross continued, wrenching at the ground beneath him and roaring. When he was finished, the world looked no different. No scholar could quite put their finger on it. Yet everyone felt it, from the shunned penguinfolk to the proudest dragon. Something had changed aside from the creation of the poles. Kross looked upon the world once more, satisfied.

The cold began to retreat. Vash proclaimed that he would assume the burden of Kross’s energy that had been dispersed in the ley-network, at least partially. Reactions were mixed; had the Godslayer seen the error of his ways and done something to rectify the situation? Perhaps this was just a truly good deed? Others pointed that this was not the first time Vash had taken it upon himself to leech off of another god’s strength. Nevertheless, Vash’s proclamation coincided with a hastened end to winter in some areas. Naysayers were quick to decry the Godslayer, but welcomed the change regardless of its source.

Yet the First Sun still hung low in the sky, his warmth unable to fill the void left behind by the cold. Celebrations of winter’s retreat were cut short by the sobering realization that Tai continued to drift in an erratic path, his dim light providing barely enough sustenance for the hardiest of crops. A lukewarm world, robbed of its former glory. It was in these days that Nyubar unveiled a marvelous work, unrivaled by mortal hands and held in wonder by mortals and gods alike.

Mixing the blood of the wounded First Sun with sap from the Mother Sprite, Nyubar created seven amber spheres infused with both the life-giving energy of the Mother Sprite, as well as the radiance of the First Sun. Nyubar then stood before the Gates, blessing the spheres with life of their own. These would become the Seven Amber Suns, blazing discs set into beautiful tiaras and borne into the heavens by the Sunbearers. The Sunbearers themselves were Chromarchs, Chromakin, and Chromatai of various hues and shades, guiding Tai and assisting him in his duties, bathing the world once more in his brilliant light.

Resigned to the fact that a world plunged in winter was not particularly popular or feasible, Kross still salvaged some select portions of this bygone age. Into a select few mortals he coalesced massive amounts of his energy, bringing to their minds a cold and calculating aspect. The change was more than purely behavioral; these mortals found themselves able to manipulate the world with their minds, not unlike the mages of Vash or the basic telekinetic powers of the Chromarchs. These mind-mages’ powers were also punctuated by drops in temperature around them; a dead giveaway of Kross’s blessing. Preferring to dwell in solitude, these mind-mages more often than not took up residence on mountaintops, enjoying the silence and solitude required to hone their newfound powers.

Other followers of Kross were not so lucky; the frost giants began to panic as the Seven Amber Suns took their place in the heavens. Just as the North Star had been a powerful symbol for the northern invaders-turned-rulers, now the Seven Suns served as a symbol of resistance against their rule. Some giants found themselves changed by the shifting climate; they no longer needed the cold to sustain themselves. They shrank with each generation, but at least held onto the reins of power where they could. The remaining frost giants were forced to retreat to the north after a series of bloody rebellions, these icy rulers unable to remain on the field of battle under the oppressive suns. The Long Winter had finally come to an end.

To commemorate this triumph, Nyubar set about taking two cuttings from the Mother Sprite and planting one at the Amaranthinium, as well as one near the old site of the Eye of Vash. In time, these sprites would grow to astonishing heights, filling the surrounding lands with sprites of their own. The Amaranthine Empire continued to prosper under such benevolence, and Nyubar joined Tai, Fuku, and Statute among the patron gods of the Empire. Solidifying Nyubar’s status was the gifting of the Silver Chalice to Statute. The Silver Chalice had been the vessel of both Tai’s blood and the sap from the Mother Sprite, radiating a life-giving warmth to all around it.

In Vasheroth, the scion of the Mother Sprite came under close study by mages and dragons alike. The life giving properties of the sprites made them potent ingredients for potions and alchemy, and it was rumored that when mixed with one of Yagna’s Petals (another plant hailed for its restorative properties), a true elixir of immortality could be achieved. The hunt for such a concoction became increasingly important to many, as the first recorded death of a dragon by natural causes occurred. Long thought to live forever if left to their own devices, most dragons had simply perished in previous calamities and wars. In Arakis, an old dragonlord finally shut his eyes for the last time, his scales turning to stone and the fire within him extinguished. Dragonlords from across creation soon began racing to collect sprites, ripping them out of the ground for experimentation, while the key ingredient, the Petal of Yagna, remained incredibly rare.

Continuing the trend of gift giving, Tai bestowed upon Nyubar the Leyloom, an artifact that allows the bearer to see the ley-network and manipulate it to some degree. While somewhat awkward to handle and not giving the wielder the proficiency of say, the ley-network’s creator, the Leyloom allowed Nyubar to pour his own energy into the network. Outside influences soon found themselves even harder pressed to breach the snare between worlds; in these days the night terrors of Rula-Sorna had become a thing of myth, and Nital’s followers performed rituals blindly without the guidance of their lord. Such nefarious influences found themselves funneled straight to the Amaranthinium, a suitable prison for such forces.

Tai also gifts Statute the Imprisoner; a massive warhammer that immobilizes the guilty and saps their strength, even without direct contact with the legendary weapon. The Chalice and the Imprisoner become symbols of Statute’s promised prosperity, order, and justice. The Amaranthine Empire’s numbers swelled as peace and order ruled the land. Legions equipped with weapons of dazzling crystal patrolled its borders, quickly stomping out any traces of lawlessness or intrusion. Evaluating the realm as sufficiently secure, these legions ventured forth, seeking to bring order to lands outside of the Empire’s traditional borders. Having conquered almost the entire island, some legions even braved the seas in order to bring the rule of Statute to mainlanders. Such efforts were viewed as a positive alternative to the brutish rule of the giants, although many of Nyubar’s followers wondered how closely the legions would venture towards the Citadel.

Fears over a possible conflict between the two gods were largely assuaged by the formation of the Order of the Adamant. Dedicated to combatting the remaining evils in the world, the Order of the Adamant was blessed by Nyubar and Statute, while sometimes armed with weapons from the Celestial Citadel. Rumored to have “one foot outside the Gate”, the Order of the Adamant were blessed with immortality, yet also had the ability to retire from the mortal world and pass on when they considered their duties fulfilled or burdens too great. This intrinsic link to life and death made the Order adept at identifying those husks and corpses masquerading as living folk. The Order quickly built up a network of contacts, strongholds, and bases across creation, aiding them in the eradication of evil and the pacification of spirits.

The civilized world was not the only one to experience a rejuvenation following the end of the Long Winter. Legend has it that Fusta had hid away in the few remaining jungles of the world, dancing slowly and mournfully during the bitter winter. With the arrival of spring, the bride of Fuku danced in the wilderness with renewed energy and glee. Such was her overwhelming happiness that her revelry created a new race of forest-dwelling humanoids, known as nymphs. Joining these celebrations were the Alari, who had become disillusioned with the relatively quiet Yagna in the past few decades. This ironically placed Fusta and Fuku on opposite ends of the conflict which raged in the renewed jungles of the south. The Alari considered Fusta a patron of justice in the wild, while adherents to the “old ways” of Fuku continued to defend their ancestral lands from these interlopers.

Fighting between the Typhans managed to subside with a return to normalcy and the restocking of fishing waters. Harvests became plentiful once more, and old divisions largely disappeared between the various Typhan realms. The scars of the wars did not heal fully though; the trauma of such struggles gave rise to a few Typhans-turned-Yinshung, an occurrence that had until that moment remained almost entirely theoretical. These incredibly powerful beings could command the currents themselves, and oftentimes became notorious for harboring old grudges birthed during the Long Winter. As a Yinshung of any kind is almost impossible to dissuade, and these few in particular threatened the stability of the realm, many had to go into hiding after becoming targets of persecution. Harika still saw their strength as admirable and worthy of imitation; those land-dwellers that chose to worship Harika found themselves able to tap into a similar sort of strength. The tides and waters of the world bent to their will, although only after considerable practice and focus.

Even the accursed lands in the west experienced some degree of calm. Onoqu found itself prosperous and largely ignored by the Onoqui, who themselves had simply fled to warmer climes. While the rest of the world still viewed Onoqu has a haven for depraved blood cultists, the common man within the region was no more malevolent than in any other land, and the horrific rituals that plagued the countryside had subsided considerably. Massive castles and keeps were constructed, rulers apparently eager to defend this rare moment of peace and prosperity. Surrounding river valleys made similar efforts; if things had finally turned around for the better, they would do everything in their power to keep in that way.

A world filled with mortals no longer just barely scraping by meant a world with free time. A world ready for mischief. Thus, Rios began reconstruction of his portals, even going so far as to distribute cryptic maps and charts to help his “chosen” navigate the convoluted network that meandered through time and space. Meanwhile, the mages on Ataraka finally managed to reactivate their portal, the process no doubt expedited by Rios’s resurgence in activity. Soon all over creation, zealous mages praising Vash began to crop up, seemingly unaware of the changing times. Those that requested directions to Vash’eth found themselves laughed out of town, while others were persecuted for their open devotion to the Godslayer. Mages adept at manipulating the portals quickly returned to their remote island home with news of a world hostile to their glorious god.

Kross gave his own blessing to the mortals, either out of guilt or out of pity that they continued to be used as playthings, even after the end of the Long Winter. Thus Kross blessed his favored followers, mankind and the various giants of the world, giving them a natural resistance towards the machinations of the gods. Just has Nyubar had given mortals the extra grit to resist the hardships of the physical world, Kross now gave his chosen the strength to hold out against the supernatural. While certainly not suddenly resistant to dragonfire or the direct influence of a god, men and giants found themselves less likely to bound by mortal magic. Spells failed with greater frequency, and novices could expect their curses to break at the slightest interruption.

For decades this new age continued uninterrupted, punctuated by bountiful harvests, peace, and blessings from the gods. But underneath the surface, misgivings and foreboding signs worried both the mortal and the divine.

The strange shapes continued to hover in the air, and in their shadows came dreams. Alien emotions and thoughts filled the heads of those that slept underneath the shapes. Geometries impossible to fathom in the waking world flowed endlessly in the depths of those slumbering minds. The giants saw glaciers slowly contort themselves into similar forms as the floating masses hovered overhead. Some peoples took to following those strange shapes, seeking to emulate them through monuments or etchings. Carved offerings of wood and stone were hurled into fires, only to have the flames mirror the shape of that which had been offered. Beneath the waves, Typhans remarked on the changing currents. They became predictable, almost disturbingly so.

Other strange visions visited mortals. A vast museum, accompanied by a massive library. Dreamers walked its hallways and perused its endless collection of tomes, confident that such a place did not exist in the real world. Strange cloaked figures patrolled those halls, possessing extra limbs and a penchant for neatness. The figures would largely ignore the dreamers, instead taking on the daunting task of maintaining the library’s pristine condition. And of course, the figure in grey, always willing to share its thoughts on the given subject matter of a tome or scribbling the dreamer had examined.

The dreamers felt no hunger. No pain. They certainly did not feel tired, since they were already asleep. For some, it felted like days in those halls. Others swore upon awakening that they had visited another world entirely, spending over a lifetime diving into an ocean of literature. Children completely unexposed to any form of written language emerged fully literate and wise beyond their years, while some dreamers simply went mad at being withdrawn from such a world. They pleaded to go back, to sleep forever and dwell in a hidden paradise of unfinished tales and untold knowledge.

One such unfinished tale was that of Takamu, one of the old heroes of the War of the Three. Assumed to be long since dead, his sword was of primary concern to the machinations of both gods and man alike. Yet none could find a trace of Tai’s old champion, nor of the coveted Terminator. Nightbringer and Daybreaker had been accounted for… at least for a time. Nightbringer continued to change hands in the wars between the Alari and the various tribes of men in the southern jungles, while Daybreaker was now an heirloom of the Brightskin tribes. Yet reports told of a child possessing golden eyes and a strange walking stick, having been spotted both areas. Shortly afterwards, the iconic swords had gone missing.

And so it began once more.

Fusta, enraged that her Alari followers had been robbed of such a powerful weapon, immediately turned to the Book of Secrets. Other gods waited with baited breath, eager to hear the location of the thief. Of the Usurper. But only silence followed. Fusta raced through the pages, checking and double checking. Whenever she came close to pinning down Vash’s location, the ink blurred. The words moved, sometimes falling right off of the page. The Godslayer would not be so easily hunted.

Harika, reminded of Vash’s past crimes, lashed out at the few reminders of Vash’eth that remained on land. Truth be told, these remaining structures were little more than outposts or remains of rural settlements. Still, they were swiftly plunged under the sea with a ferocious monsoon, coupled with tidal waves for good measure. Catharsis had been achieved for the Goddess of Storms. This seemingly insignificant action dislodged a certain artifact from the sunken bowls of Vash’eth. Its sides numbered twenty, yet its purpose was entirely singular; to grant the wish of whoever claimed it. The Icosahedron had been released once more onto the world.

It was an unassuming Typhan, Xalthar, that discovered the unpredictable artifact. Clasping it in her hands, her deepest desires were quickly determined by the strange chunk of artifice, before it blinked out of existence. Xalthar pondered exactly what happened, thinking little of it. Yet she had a nagging feeling in the back of her head. A sense of empowerment. While returning home, she saw the floating corpses of some peasants. Unfortunate casualties as a result of Harika’s wrath. She pondered what their lives had been like. What they had done to deserve such an abrupt end. As she focused on their weightless forms, she noticed something unusual. Their digits twitched. They convulsed. They turn over, facing her with dead eyes. Letting out a shriek, Xalthar immediately panicked and fled, looking back behind her. The corpses drifted motionless in the foam.

Thinking perhaps it had just been a trick of the imagination, Xalthar returned. To her horror, the corpses at once plunged through the depths to her side. They did not strike, nor did they flee. They simply stared. Xalthar, petrified, stared back. Slowly but surely, her fear was replaced with curiosity. She felt a connection with these drowned dead. No. Connection was too strange. Implied a familiarity. This was power. This was control.

News of this necromancer caught the attention of both Harika and the Order of the Adamant. Reports of undead mobs erupting from the waves to drag down entire villages into the murky depths caused a panic amongst coastal communities. Meanwhile, the body count beneath the waves continued to swell. Only completely eviscerated bodies would cease to come back, with each battle between Xalthar and the other typhans becoming an opportunity for the necromancer to raise more forces. The Order of the Adamant moved to secure the shores, but quickly found themselves caught in the crossfire, as Harika’s storms battered at any undead scourge she could find. Such storms were rarely precise weapons of punishment, and resulted in plenty of collateral damage.

While the battle to purge the seas of this new plague raged on, a far greater evil seeped into the world.

Stowed away and restrained through undoubtable powerful magic, each portion of Balaphon had been brought before an altar in the Onoquan countryside. The Body had his throat slit, blood literally boiling with rage as it spewed forth from his body. The Mind gave promises of power and secrets, right up until the final slice silenced him for good. The Spirit writhed and cursed at the strange restraints that bound it. The dagger sunk into the center of its amorphous form, drawing the red mist together into a humanoid shape. For a moment it fell to its knees, shocked by the intense foreign sensation that had streaked across its mind. Pain. It collapsed into a pool of blood, joining the crimson liquids that poured out of the other two. The figure that carried out the sacrifice whispered an incantation, and then quickly bounded off. Behind him, the pool grew larger.

A great tempest, not unlike that of Harika formed above the region of Onoqu. Clouds converged on that land, filling it with shadow. Men in blood-stained robes walked openly in the streets, while the common folk cowered in their homes. The robed men feared no persecution or retribution. Nital would soon walk among his faithful.

An unholy roar, which could be heard all the way from the Amaranthinium, ripped through the air like thunder. The pool of blood increased in diameter, becoming closer to a lake than a pool at that point. The very sensation of pain filled the air, as cultists and bystanders alike doubled over in agony. Still, Nital’s followers dragged themselves to that grim portal, eager to glimpse their lord’s arrival into the world. When the bloody portal finally came into view, some depraved cultists bathed in that foul liquid, its hellish heat boiling away their flesh as they laughed and cried. Tendrils emerged from the portal, impaling those unfortunate enough to come too close. Then all at once, a tide of searing blood erupted from the portal, birthing Nital, God of Blood, into the mortal world at long last.

The hulking brute towered over his assembled followers (at least those who had not been immediately killed by the emergence). A mist covered the majority of his being, shrouded in hues of black and red, hiding the truly massive scale of his physical form. Long fingers ended in tendrils, wrapped around two grisly sickles. His head, which reached almost to the clouds, was shrouded in a cloak, which continued down to the ground. This massive garment comprised of untold numbers of veins and arteries, oozing and pulsating to the tune of their foul owner’s heart (if he had one).

Beneath him, all manner of nightmares and terrors poured into the world, first tormenting his own followers, before fleeing to other corners of the world. The ley-network, at least in Onoqu, had been torn asunder, and corruption of Rula poured forth into the world freely from that gaping hole. Nital paid the visitors from Multor no heed; they did not bleed, nor did they attempt to assail such a terror in his own right. Instead Nital turned his attention to the deep lacerations that troubled his physical form. Tearing through the great snare of Vash had taken little time, but it was extraordinarily painful for even Nital. Each thread of the network seared his skin and cut like a knife into his very being. Hundreds sang praises and prostrated themselves before the Blood God, before being unceremoniously sacrificed in an instant, their lifeblood drained by leech-like tendrils and used to heal Nital’s injuries. Devilish imps and sprites cackled at the folly of mortals, thinking their desires meant anything to Nital. The dark god ignored the screams and cackles alike. He needed more, and he knew the world had plenty to offer.

The Order of the Adamant initially mobilized to attempt an assault on such a grave threat to mortalkind, but were stayed by orders from Statute himself. Instead they were directed to combating the newfound horrors pouring into the world. Wisps from Multor, having soaked in the terrible power of that realm for decades, were now unleashed upon the waking world. Entire cities erupted into chaos as mass possessions turned neighbor against neighbor and brother against brother. Massive spiders poured forth from the Forest of Many Minds, living nightmares that feasted on the flesh of the living. The Order of Many Minds began to operate once more in earnest, acting as willing vessels for the shades and terrors that clawed their way into the physical realm. Many of the Adamant found themselves unable to sleep, that world far too treacherous for such obvious targets.

Slowly but surely, the hole within the ley-network grew beyond the initial disaster radius, and the night terrors of old soon eclipsed their old range. When not coming under the direct possession of malevolent spirits, unfortunate victims might happen upon a strange obelisk in their dreams. Made of obsidian as black as night, dreamers see all manner of monsters and demons pouring forth from its innocuous form. They drift closer and closer to the one thing that does not seem intent on terrifying them. Reaching out, they touch its smooth surface. A jolt of fear surges through them, a culmination of all their doubts, fears, and uncertainties. All at once their mind is broken, and they are delivered back to the waking world, dead. It was said that those on their way to such a fate would mumble a strange phrase.
“Bakaraj. Bakaraj.”
Having recovered properly from his injuries, Nital stood motionless for hours, craning his neck as if to listen intently to something. A cacophony of voices rang out below him, yet Nital paid them no heed. Finally, the Lord of Blood headed westward, tromping over mortal, terrain, and structure alike. The newly built castles and keeps of Onoqu revealed their true purpose; grotesque experiments, empowered blood mages, and bloodthirsty Onoqi poured forth from their gates. With these fiends let loose among the general population, the prosperity of Onoqu simply meant more cattle were available for the slaughter. Cutting a swath of bloody destruction through the southern reaches of the continent, it quickly became clear that Nital was heading straight for the Celestial Citadel.

No longer content to simply abide by their liege’s orders and let the brute level an important outpost of the Order, brothers of the Order of the Adamant took a stand outside of the Celestial Citadel. They braced themselves for inevitable doom, knowing their numbers too few, even bolstered by the smiths and apprentices of the Citadel. Further to the south, messengers raced to the realm of Achandasha, desperate for assistance. The Goddess of the Night was silent to their pleas and the Achandaki blocked access to the Isle. On the eve of the anticipated battle, Achandasha raised her Isle to the heavens, truly joining the night sky. Hidden among the countless stars in the night sky, Achandasha had made her decision clear. The Celestial Citadel stood alone.

Nital cursed Achandahsa and hurled insults at the fleeing Goddess, but did not advance on the Citadel itself. Instead, he wheeled about north, butchering entire cities in his path. The Order of the Adamant could not believe their fortune, although several chose to fall upon their own swords after hearing of the slaughter taking place in their stead. Others counted their blessings and mobilized once more against Xalthar, who had taken a liking towards Nital’s rampage. Following in Nital’s wake, untold legions of the dead rose up to terrorize the world of the living.

And yet the hunter could not find his quarry. The bloodshed had been delightful, and the screams of the mortals music to his ears. But there was one who eluded that bloodstained behemoth. The one whose name eluded even the Book of Secrets. The one whose machinations ensured Nital’s first sensation upon coming into the world was excruciating pain.

Once more, the Lord of Change could not be seen. Could not be heard.

Could not be found.

But the hunt had just begun.

Spoiler Political :

Spoiler Population :

Spoiler Climate :

Spoiler Cities :

Notes:
@Everyone: I am so sorry that this update took so long to make. I've been rather busy this past week or so. Hopefully I can pick up the pace for following updates.

Also, next update is the last one before we enter Stage II. More information will be posted about Stage II as I tinker with it.

I also want to apologize for the wonky point changes. After discussing with some people about a more stable way of determining stats, I believe I have appropriate changes behind the scenes.

SouthernKing has dropped out of the game, unfortunately. If anyone wants to play as Achandrasha, let me know!

Finally, I will be working on updating the front page and sending out private messages to those that will require them. As always, feel free to ask questions, give suggestions, and raise any concerns you may have. Thank you all for being so patient!

Point Changes

Nyubar/thomas.berubeg
Spoiler :
Through your efforts, a great many lives have been saved, and it appears you are finally gaining the recognition for your works. From the Amaranthine Empire down toward the Brightskin Tribes, you are known as a friend of mortals and a bringer of peace. Life blossoms across the world, while death continues to mow down thousands. The cycle continues. NEW TOTAL: 2/3

Rüla/inthesomeday
Spoiler :
Your mortal followers have dwindled in number, but your harvest has never been so bountiful! Darkness seeps into the world from Multor, and your halves continue to feast on the terror of feeble mortals. Wisps ensure that the waking world continues to feel your presence, and the Order of Many Minds continues to sow confusion among those who might try to stop you. NEW TOTAL: 3/1

Kross/erez87
Spoiler :
You have given up your prize. Your treasure. The world was cold, and you let it go. For this act of mercy, mortals are grateful, though they do not forget who plunged the world into everlasting winter in the first place... Giants continue to spread word of your might, although some begrudge your decision to show mercy on the lesser men. NEW TOTAL: 1/2

Achandasha/NPC

Spoiler :
You have become a NPC. You trust in your instincts and flee to the celestial spheres before the naughty players do anything horrible to you. Good on ya. NEW TOTAL: 1/1

Tai/Terrance888
Spoiler :
You have returned to your former glory, albeit with some help from your allies! You are the savior in the eyes of many, especially the common folk that do not understand the machinations of the Gods. To them, you are the sole salvation of the world. The world has never shined brighter, although it seems like mortals will need every last bit of hope they can get... NEW TOTAL: 2/4

Rios/DoubleA
Spoiler :
The world is an absolute mess, thanks in no small part to you. The Icosahedron has vanished in search of another mortal to bless/torment, and your imps have plenty to laugh at. Even mundane acts such as sleeping come with chances for chaos, and you revel in the random chance of it all. Unfortunately, not too many people are too caught up in worshiping you anymore. NEW TOTAL: 2/0

Vash/Jehoshua
Spoiler :
You've managed to stay one step ahead of your captors, although I dare say the fiercest of bloodhounds is hot on your trail. Although no one knows how long you can play this game of cat and mouse, general opinion of you is improving, particularly at the cost of some other deities. They see that the Three were not perfect in their actions, and some find it unfathomable for the God of Blood to be doing the world a service by hunting you. NEW POINT TOTAL: 3/2

Nitäl/Dreadnaught

Spoiler :
You are finally free from your prison. Existence itself writhes under your feet, ready to be rid of you. But you have unfinished business. Your followers are few in number (I wonder why), but soon that may change. You have butchered entire cities and turned rivers red with blood. Enjoy your freedom while you can. NEW TOTAL: 4/1

Harika/KaiserElectric
Spoiler :
Your realm is in strife right now. Xalthar and her ragged armies of the undead plague your waters and coasts. On the bright side. Shisu and Shiro have done wonders for your popularity along the rivers of the world, and a growing number of humans look to your for safe voyages and full nets. NEW TOTAL: 1/3

Fuku/jackelgull
Spoiler :
Your wife dances in the wild, dispensing justice and reveling with those that dwell on the fringes of civilization. Meanwhile, you are a guiding, if not subtle force in the civilized world. You have become quite ingrained within the pantheon of the Amaranthine Empire, although followers of your "old ways" (the jungle tribes, primarily) look more towards Fusta. NEW TOTAL: 1/3

Yagna/Oruc
Spoiler :
You were oddly silent this past century ;) Nyubar has mostly taken the spotlight in regards to fertility and growth, while Fusta leads your Alari astray in the wilds. Still, you have a highly concentrated number of followers around the Font, and you could spring back in time. NEW TOTAL: 1/2

Statute/Thlayli
Spoiler :
Mortals around the world have heard of your empire. Its legions are without equal, and none dare challenge your laws within the borders of the Amaranthine Empire. While mortals may worship other deities in your realm, you are always the first in their prayers. Order has also been established in the world (err... most of it), and many look to you as the reason for it. NEW TOTAL: 3/3

Curator/Seon
Spoiler :
You continue to collect, to amass, and to share what you can. You are hidden from most of the world, and many of your "followers" are not too welcome in the outside world. But you continue your work, as there will always be things left behind, especially in these days. NEW TOTAL: 2/1

_____/Iggy
Spoiler :
Approach Successful. NEW TOTAL: 2/1

Major: Complete Contact Zone Form Propagation. Inculcate Full Pattern Consistency

Major: Alter Backdrop Conformation Format to Match Emergent Properties.

Minor: In Anticipation of Conformational Change, Recursively Reform Floating Shapes into Larger and More Complex Iterations. Dreams and Visions of True Form Continue.

Okay, I believe that the front page has been update and made spiffy for your enjoyment and ease of navigation. You'll note that some things have been moved around; there's actually quite a lot of content on some of those posts and I was reaching the character limit! I still have some wiggle room on the front page, but I've also thought about creating a wiki to take some of the burden off of the front page posts. Statistics would still stay on this site, but descriptions would be on the wiki. This would also allow us to flesh out certain events, get a better timeline figured out, ect. That sort of thing. Thoughts?

Also, the deadline for orders has been set for July 28th. The deadline is always on the front page in case you need a reminder. The following update will be another 100 years and will be the last normal update of Stage I. Update 6 will be an update bridging the gap between Stage I and Stage II, likely doing away with specific point allocations and focusing more on broad goals of players wishing to take part in Stage II. This includes input from players that don't plan on playing as gods; they are still encouraged to provide input about the country, group, or individual they expect to play as. I'll explain this in greater detail as we draw closer to Stage II.

The Impostor Church

A woman wandered into the town, wearing the garbs of a holy woman, but bearing symbols of so many different gods at once. She bore, in no particular order, the symbols of Kross, Nyubar, Statute, Vash, and Fuku at once, and probably many more were upon her billowing robes. When we asked her which god she actually served, she refused to say--saying that she served and were blessed by nobody.

We then realized that the 'symbols' she wore were not actually symbols of the gods at all. All of them had been defaced somehow. The symbol of Nyubar's two gates saw it barred closed. The hammer of Statute was cracked, and all other symbols, without exception, had been defaced in similar sacrilegious ways. Such impiety would have been punished immediately.

Indeed, an attempt to do so was made by the townspeople and the guards, but it appeared as if she was lying when she claimed to not have been blessed by the gods. The instant that we attempted to apprehend her, she vanished from our sight and we forgot our purpose. We could not even remember why we were now holding weapons. We could only remember that there was even a woman at all when we contemplated the strange turn of events. This was also the moment when a child--a dreamer--unusually wise for her age due to her strange experiences in the land of dreams and meetings with a forgotten god known as the Curator, claimed that the mysterious woman was most likely its agent.

The child who, despite her youth, was most likely older in her mind than any elder in the village, claimed that she had seen in her dreams the Curator keeping a similar collection in his Great Museum--symbols of other gods which had been defaced. Curator would never deface another god's symbols personally--but it would always be unusually eager and opinionated whenever it told anyone about the items.

It was clear from listening to the Curator's lengthy lectures that the old and reclusive god held distaste towards the other gods--specifically Nyubar, Statute, and Vash, claiming that it was philosophically opposed to their precepts and what it called "their tyranny over the world."

This still confused most of the villagers--why would the Impostor Priestess, as we have taken to calling her, claim that she was a free agent if she was so obviously acting on behalf of an old God? Nobody, not even the Dreaming Child, had a ready answer.

Strange incidents began happening afterwards around the town.

The local blacksmith accepted a girl who always hung around his forge as his apprentice. On questioned as to why, he shrugged and said that he and the Impostor Priest had a pleasant chat where she convinced him that a woman could just be as strong as a man, and that the girl was obviously very interested in forgework. Beside, with all the chaos and confusion with the damned demons and undead about, he could use as much help as he can in the forge, so why not take the one most interested in the work?

We reminded him that the Impostor Priestess was a heretic, and he blinked, as if confused, before admitting that he had forgotten that unfortunate encounter with her on her first arrival until that very moment. However, he still refused to change his opinion on the matter of adopting a female apprentice. After all, he said. Why should things remain the same? Why should we accept that things "just have to be that way?"

Strange happenings continued afterwards. Couples whose parents had forbade their marriage eloped. People began selling their precious family heirlooms to travelling merchants, claiming that they were short on funds anyways. The Dreaming Child was finally allowed to sit at the Council of Elders, bringing with her the promise of changes with the knowledge she gleaned from the Library. People began to stop going to the temples or offering donations.

When interviewed as to why, all those afflicted claimed that they had a chat with the Impostor Priestess who convinced them to act differently from usual--although they did not recant their changed behavior after this revelation. It almost appeared as if the Impostor was visiting every person of some importance in the town.

My own personal encounter with the Impostor Priestess happened late one night when she entered my temple, bearing the bejeweled and glided holy symbols of the Gods I worshiped. I asked her if she was planning to deface them in front of me as an act of cruelty and challenge against my gods. She laughed in my face.

"No," she said. "But you will." She placed the holy objects on a table and held out a hammer towards me.

I scoffed at the suggestion. "Whatever you said to tempt others will not tempt me, witch," I claimed. I could not fully understand why I did not call for the guards at the moment--it was as if I had forgotten that was even an option at the moment.

"I'm not asking you to renounce your gods," the Impostor Priestess said, always with that smile. "I am asking you to do some good in this world."

I raised an eyebrow at her. How could destruction of holy symbols, which had provided this world with much needed hope, be good for the world? I demanded that she explain herself. She pointed towards the golden and bejeweled holy symbols. "These are just objects, bent and shaped to depict the symbols of gods. Intrinsically, there is nothing holy about them at all," she said.

"Nonsense," I responded. "Gods can exert their will through these holy symbols."

"Ahh yes," the Impostor Priestess nodded. "But does the holy object need be gold and jewelled?" She responded. "A wooden, or steel, holy symbols work just as well as golden and bejeweled ones. You must agree with me on this matter, after all, what use are gold and jewels to the gods?"

I reluctantly nodded that this was most likely true. "Then, you must agree," the Impostor Priestess continued. "That the material and the design of the holy symbols does not matter, unless specified in theological codices. Gods derive their power through belief and faith. If mortals believe the holy symbol to be holy, it would not matter where the holy symbols are or how it is made."

"I do not see," I responded. "How this relates to the destruction of these particular holy symbols. Do you want me to destroy these holy symbols and keep the gold for myself? You cannot tempt me like thi-"

"Why, the very thought!" the Impostor Priestess laughed. "I would certainly not attempt such a folly as to appeal to your greed. No, I appeal to your goodness," she said. "If a wood and steel will serve as sufficient holy symbols, there is no point to these things," she pointed towards the gold and jeweled symbols. "There is no point towards all of these," she waved her hands towards the large temple. "A large and decorated stone temple holds no practical purpose other than consuming more resources in maintenance--resources that can be used to better the lives of those living in this town in practical matters. A simple prayer hall made of wood and bricks will be sufficient to serve the will of your god. There is no point towards owning gold holy symbols. They are simply expensive--there is no inherent goodness to gold. Would it not be better to use the gold to better the common man's life?"

She pushed the hammer towards me. "I say we burn it all down," she said. "Destroy this temple and build a new one--much more humble version to better serve the will of your gods. Melt these holy symbols down. Use the gold and the jewels to finance new modest temples and shrines, feed more hungry children and hire more workers to help the townsfolk. For far too long, mortals have stood idle in this world, accepting the state of their world as 'being normal' and worshiping gods and codices without truly questioning the reasoning behind it. Nobody asks the question: Why must the world be this way? And that lack of suspiscion--" she points towards the gold symbols and the great architecture of the temple. "Has allowed these evils to perpetuate themselves. Lack of self-reflection and questions towards the basic facets of the universe lead to complacence and stagnation. It lead to corruption and misconceptions that gold and silver is somehow inherently more valuable than wood and steel."

"That is why I invite you," she placed the hammer into my hand. "To take the charge in the frontlines against evils of this world that is complacency and mindless obedience. We must always question why things are like so in this universe. Anything we cannot determine a good reason for-- she points towards the gold idols with her hand. "We must destroy and reform to better serve our gods and the people. The world can always become a better place--but we must be vigilant and strive to bring it about."

When I swing the hammer down upon the idols, it is with the conviction and determination of a saint. The Impostor Priestess smiles and pats my back, reassuring me that I have done something good. The gold and jewels recovered from the idols will be used to feed so many people. She is there with me when I gather up a few like minded people to torch the gaudy, useless temples which had served to alienate the people from the Gods above. The new church built upon its ashes and ruins will be much more modest and open to everyone from all walks of life to come and worship. Space will be much more cramped--but we will all be closer to the lords in heaven.

For the next few weeks, as the new church is built upon the ashes of a corrupt past, the Impostor Priestess begins her own preaching and missionizing efforts. Ironically, she knows much about the holy texts of all the known gods, and discusses what she knows freely with all who would listen to her. She answers all the questions that the hesitant townsfolk asks, and invites them to learn the texts and histories of the gods together. She scoffs at the very idea of a monopoly on morality by any particular god, and tells people to find their own reason and moral through experiencing life. She tells the people to always test the boundary of what is right and wrong and make their own decisions in the matter--for dogmas only serve to make powerful men even more powerful.

When she leaves, she has a legion of followers inside the town. They continue to worship the gods they did before, but they ask far more questions and break far more rules than before in the name of what they consider to be good. Most of us are sad that she has to leave.

The Dreaming Child asks the Impostor Priestess if she'll see her again. The Impostor Priestess simply chuckles, and says that she will always be close to the child's heart. The Impostor Priestess leaves, broken holy symbols dangling from her robes as she walks towards the next town to tempt.

Years pass, and life continues. Our town becomes known as a place of freedom. Our philosophers debate the very nature and the souls of the gods. Women have begun hawking their goods from their own stalls and shops, and our modest church have been decorated by free artists with scenes from our lores. A young woman, who was once the Dreaming Child, dons a priestly robe adorned with broken holy symbols. She has grown up much in the intervening years, growing to resemble the Impostor Priestess in almost all manners to a preternatural degree. She leaves the town with our blessings and defaced holy symbol, ready to bring the truth to the world.

The truth that nothing in this world needed to remain as they were.

Dancer: Spirit of the Hunt
(Also known as: the Hunter/Huntress, God/Goddess of Knives, hundreds of local names)

Description: Dancer is the amalgamation of hundreds, if not thousands, of spirits or small gods, worshipped or channeled through the the world by individuals or animals when hunting. Originally only existing for predatory beasts and hunters, Dancer has recently become adopted by 'civilisation' among those who desire the finesse, grace and lethality of the Spirit of the Hunt, and those who can attract the Dancer's thirst for the hunt. Dancer has only recently been 'born' and is on many ways not even sentient, existing more as a natural force. It's only desire is the glory of the Hunt, and will seek out (and be sought out by) those mortals and beasts that can hunt the greater prey.

Spending:
1 Major point spent on creating the Night of the Hunt, a yearly occurrence when, for one night, Dancer spreads itself out completely into the world, accessible by any beast or mortal who can appease it. This results in predatory animals being much more aggressive, dangerous and intelligent, and some mortals (such as thieves, assassins, military scouts, etc) also becoming much more efficient killers. Beasts that show the most promise during the Night may become Great Beasts (see below), while during the Night Great Beasts are made into calculating machines of pure murder.

1 Minor point spent on creating Great Beasts. These are individual creatures that, through great bouts of hunting and fierceness, have become embedded with a sliver of Dancer. The Great Beasts are larger, more intelligent and more powerful than other creatures of their species, and live much longer lives, to the point where the most successful are nearly immortal by mortal standards. In some cases, Great Beasts can gather their own animal, or even mortal, followers (such as a Great Wolf gathering a large wolf pack).

1 Minor point spent on forming the Shadow Blades, an assassin cult reaching across the known world. Individual shadow blade's rarely met one another, but are vaguely aware of each other through their connection to Dancer. Besides channeling Dancer's power, this allows the cult to organise itself despite being far flung and having no real hierarchy. Individual cultists can and do take contracts for financial or political reasons, but the main motivation is to hunt greater and more glorious targets, becoming ever more favoured and powerful by Dancer.

A Dance

The Hunter slipped through the underbrush, his spear held tight and straight before him. His lips breathed a silent prayer and he felt his limbs grow light, his gaze grow sharp, and his skin grow cold in response. He could feel each hair along his arm dancing in the hot and humid jungle air. The stench of rot and growth parted before him into a thousand colourful fragrances. He closed his eyes, and waited.

The Beast watched, its eyes cold and hungry. Claws gripped the branches, it's limbs held rigid in place, yet relaxed and ready to fly when the moment would come. The Prey was below it, sharp claw held parallel to the ground, and the Beast's tongue quivered in anticipation. It's blood grew hot, racing through veins, pumping into muscles and its brain. The pumping of the Prey's jugular beat steadily, welcoming and ripe. With a cleared mind, the thought of steaming blood washing down its throat, the Beast hurled itself out of its perch, claws reaching out for the Prey's neck.

The Hunter heard it before it leapt, a thousand black hairs rustling as muscles flexed and extended. He spun on his heel, digging into the soft mud and moss, his other foot falling back as he whirled the spear around and up, catching the beast in mid leap. He sensed the pain before the wound was cut. A claw slicing cleanly through his shoulder, skin and flesh parting eagerly for the rising rush of his life blood. But as his left arm grew limp, he also noted the streak of red on his spear blade. The black mass of lean muscle and murder had crashed into the jungle next to him, and curled around the wound across its gut. The scent of the beast's rank hide mixed with that of fresh blood, and the Hunter's mouth watered. He shifted his grip, feeling as if he was stronger now in his remaining arm than he had been with both when he set out before first light. He whispered a last prayer, and readied for the last steps of the dance.

Its mind was clouded, filling once again with only pain and stupidity. It clung to those last shreds of awareness, even if they brought fear and shame. Hunger and rage, terror and hatred flooded its vision as its killer stalked towards it, long claw held towards it. Even know, knowing it would soon die, the beast eyed the blood welling from its killer's wound, a pang of hunger incessantly mocking its failure. The Beast could not hear the beating of the killers heart, it could not see the sweat rolling into the killer's eye, and it could not smell the stench of its killer's breath. It was going blind, the world turning away from it. With the last shred of thought, the Beast snarled, NO!

The spear snapped forward, aimed precisely and wielded expertly. The Hunter was flush with anticipation, the dance speeding to its conclusion. This last strike would be it, he could feel it searing through his veins, the Spirit of the Hunt screamed it in his soul.

And it was silenced in a heartbeat.

The Hunter was left alone. He died empty, watching as the Beast cut him open and feasted. They locked eyes, and as the Hunter's consciousness faded, he saw the light of pride dancing in the Beast's eye.

Top Bottom