Leonardo's Workshop

Caboose

Another Drill IV defender
So I built Leonardo's Workshop in a multiplayer game, and I started rush-building horsemen (!) and then knights right before getting combustion for tanks.

Guess what?

It didn't work!

Guess what?

I was very disappointed!

So will someone enlighten me with how the Leonardo's Workshop REALLY works? I love this game except the fact that Sid left out all the useful information from his "Civilopedia".

Ok, so I looked around on this forum some more, and finally I found something.

So Leonardo's Workshop only works for upgrading one line of units one time? Where does it say this in the Civilopedia?? To be honest, the Civliopedia is AMAZINGLY annoying as it offers very little specific information. ARGH!

So please, someone explain to me how this wonder works? :)

Leonardo's Workshop is a good wonder, and it goes like this:

Let's say you have some warrior armies defending your cities with some Archer armies and you have some horsemen armies around the map as well as a few knight armies.

Now, let's say you learn Combustion and Mass Production. If you build Leonardo's workshop, all Warrior Armies become Tank Armies, all Archer Armies become Modern Infantry, All Horsemen become tanks, all knights become tanks.

Basically, it upgrades all your units to the farthest you've gotten in their techline (go to the Units section in the civilopedia, you should see a little bloodline thing showing what they can upgrade to) so they become more effective. I usually build it once I get my Rifleman, because by then I have Feudalism and other stuff so that I get a lot of units to get ahead of other Civs in term of power. It's an upgrade to obsolete units.

But don't wait too long to build it or the comp will build it before you.

Oh no, I'm playing multiplayer :)

But thanks. I guess I'm just so frustrated from the Civilopedia that I don't really trust it.

But in this case it is actually somewhat accurate then. Except it could have been more specific and said "one time".

To add to the note from Boomsie. You cannot have a "broken" bloodline. An example: Catapults-Cannon-Artillery. If you have beelined to artillery but have skipped cannons then your catapults will not upgrade to artillery if you build Leonardo´s workshop. YOu must have researched cannons as well.

Another imporant note: If you research a military tech the same turn as you build Leo´s Workshop it is not taken into consideration. You need to have the military tech for at least on turn before the wonder is completed.

To add to the note from Boomsie. You cannot have a "broken" bloodline. An example: Catapults-Cannon-Artillery. If you have beelined to artillery but have skipped cannons then your catapults will not upgrade to artillery if you build Leonardo´s workshop. YOu must have researched cannons as well.

Another imporant note: If you research a military tech the same turn as you build Leo´s Workshop it is not taken into consideration. You need to have the military tech for at least on turn before the wonder is completed.

oh yea, I forgot about that. So yea, no broken bloodlines.

Which would mean, you couldn't go straight from Archer's to Modern infantry. You'd need to have Democracy for Pikemen and Gunpowder for Rifleman.

Is that tech lines 100% confirmed? I've not noticed this, but there are few cases where I might notice this (usually I've only skipped spears and/or rifleman, but never any archers built anyway).

So whats the outcome of broken upgrade paths, they upgrade to the highest available?

Is that tech lines 100% confirmed? I've not noticed this, but there are few cases where I might notice this (usually I've only skipped spears and/or rifleman, but never any archers built anyway).

So whats the outcome of broken upgrade paths, they upgrade to the highest available?

No, they don't upgrade I think =/

So to get it straight lets say i still have archers after researching modern infantry(rifleman also researched) then my archers would change to modern infantry right cuz the upgrade path has not been cut.

No, they don't upgrade I think =/

Actually, I don't think you need to have researched the entire tech line to get the full upgrade. In an MP game I played yesterday, I had archers upgrade to modern infantry even though I had not researched gunpowder (or found it through Atlantis).

Last night my wife was playing as the Greeks (SP King), so she had Hoplites everywhere. However, she skipped Gunpowder (Riflemen) and went straight for Mass Production (Modern Infantry). She then burned a Great Builder to build Leonardo's and was most annoyed that they didn't upgrade.

I think I had this happen previously where I had a few horsemen who didn't upgrade to tanks because I didn't have knights.

Note: you don't need to research the techs explictly, you could also pick them up through the automatic backfill.

Last night my wife was playing as the Greeks (SP King), so she had Hoplites everywhere. However, she skipped Gunpowder (Riflemen) and went straight for Mass Production (Modern Infantry). She then burned a Great Builder to build Leonardo's and was most annoyed that they didn't upgrade.

I think I had this happen previously where I had a few horsemen who didn't upgrade to tanks because I didn't have knights.

Note: you don't need to research the techs explictly, you could also pick them up through the automatic backfill.

You have to self-research the tech in order for it to apply to Leonardo's Workshop. It doesn't work for auto back-filling.

Top Bottom