Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

How hard is it to install new scripts for BBCode?

What happens if you piss off Thunderfall? :mischief:

If I want to connect to the official civfanatics chat, what do you enter as the server?

Pretty easy. Just provide the HTML, and the desired bbcode name.

BTW: Spam deleted from previous posts.

How about an ability to add captions/mouse-over text to images and writing... The way that those 'xkcd' comics have mouseover text? (Just roll your mouse over one of the comics, wait for tooltip thingy).

HTML:
<div title="ENTER_TEXT_HERE"></div>

If there is a better way to do it, that's ok. That's just the way I do it. Works with text and images alike.

As for the BBCode name, I dunno... How about...

Code:
[protip="ENTIER_TEXT_HERE"][/protip]

...?

now i get it, we should have 30 post to edit the custom title.. (kinda rare to post here) :D

If I want to connect to the official civfanatics chat, what do you enter as the server?

It says on the java popup but I can't remember it offhand/be arsed to find it for you. Just load the java client and it'll tell you :)

I cannot use the "go advanced" button to post advanced messages. It seems some functions are disabled for me.

Can anybody tell me why or what is the problem?

*correction* Strangely it works here and now. But in other places or at other times the text field got disabled...

I cannot properly start new threads because the main text field is disabled

I've seen it mentioned a couple of times, once by me, but why would you ever want to IP ban someone? I've heard you do it, but why? I mean, I get the permaban, but why would you prohibit someone from viewing the site? I personally see no point to it. Please enlighten me.

In case they try to join with a doppleganger account. Its extremely easy to make new email accounts.

In case they try to join with a doppleganger account. Its extremely easy to make new email accounts.

So, do they only ban people via IP AFTER they've attempted to come back?

Also, I think if the moderation cares THAT MUCH about getting people permabanned, they must love this site a lot:mischief:

Though, of course, you can't be too safe:mischief:

http://epicduels.3.forumer.com/index.php?showtopic=777

It would interest you all to know that GK is NOT OWJ (I know this for a fact) but OWJ STILL rejoined OPENLY with a new account once and, so the rumors say, another time in secret and IIRC he's still there.

Moral is, if you really care that much, go ahead...:mischief:

IP bans are useful against persistent ad spammers

Umm... I won't state names, but apparently one was used recently against a non-ad spamming user.

I don't know a thing about the situation, it just seems like overkill against a former normal user (The ad-spammers don't care about seeing the site anyway.)

Basically, my point in that link was to show the level of dedication some admins and mods will use to protect "Their domain" and personally, while they are within their rights to do it, its a bit much (Currently referring to my other link, not here ATM). Just ban the guy and if you find out he came back, ban him again. Its not like anyone is going to suffer because he snuck back in anyways. Killing the quality of someone's post =/= killing a real person:lol:

One wonders why you're so obsessed with IP bans.

I'll PM the specific reasoning if you want. It happened to someone and I wondered why bother? If I posted specific users here I'd be infracted, learned that from experience;)

In general though, why would you IP ban a non-ad spammer?

Top Bottom