Computers and Nukes

jjslocum

Chieftain
From my experience, it seems that AI players will NEVER use nuclear weapons on anybody (human or AI) until the human player attacks someone with nukes first.

Is there anyway to change how the AI uses nukes? For my modern world scenario, I'd love to see the results of a computer striking first (or striking someone unrelated from the human player.)

They do if you play long enough into the modern era. One of my biggest fears is having the AI start a nuclear war actually. Most of my games since i play long enough into the modern era the AI fires a nuke on someone and all hell breaks loose. Its a last resort weapon after all. Humans dont care enough about a nuclear war and just use them whenever we are hiding behind a SDI, however i challenge you to disable the SDI, and you will think differently lol. After hours invested into the game you wont wanna see your awesome civ crushed by nukes, and i will bet you will get as many as u can for deterrence purposes, and not to actually try and use it. You will become just like the AI :) I dont think the AI is aware that SDI protects them and it sees it just like another wonder, so they are always in fear of a nuclear war and as result rarely use it, unless pushed hard.

I will use them if i have a nice technological lead and want to destroy someone bad. I fire rockets all over then make peace before they reach the tech :satan:. Usually they match me technologically, so i deprive them off resources for a while before ending my nuclear attacks so that they dont get a bomb.

I would like to add that AI sometimes makes strange decision about how to use nukes. For example I've played El Justo's TCW scenario version that starts in 1975 two times as a China and tried to take Seoul using nuclear weapons. On one occasion the Americans retaliated almost perfectly, targetting my biggest cities with ICBM's, but on another occasion they just fired all their missiles at Seoul even though all invading forces were killed by the first hit...

I was surprised to find in my scenario that a few of the smaller nations that had nukes (North Korea, Israel, Pakistan) got captured and never used them even as a last resort to save themselves.

I was surprised to find in my scenario that a few of the smaller nations that had nukes (North Korea, Israel, Pakistan) got captured and never used them even as a last resort to save themselves.

...or nuked some faraway city guarded by one unit left from ancient times?

Yeah that happens. The AI on civ 3 is a disaster. I lose 1 major city and you can expect my load of missiles next turn :nuke: I wish the AI did the same...

On my simthrough, they actually did finally use nukes! It took 200 turns, but once one person did it, they all did.

Top Bottom