How long will you be around?

How long will you still be playing Civ 4?

• less than 3 months

Votes: 34 13.3%
  • 3 to 6 months

Votes: 18 7.0%
  • 6 to 12 months

Votes: 60 23.4%
  • 1 to 2 years

Votes: 54 21.1%
  • 2 to 5 years

Votes: 36 14.1%
  • more than 5 years

Votes: 54 21.1%

• Total voters
Civ IV is a great game now, but it was a buggy, useless piece of junk when it first came out. It was at least a year before it was patched sufficiently to be any fun for me (remember the 1700AD CTDs???). I doubt I will bother with Civ V until after the third patch.

Anyways, RL limits my play time so I can probably continue to enjoy Civ IV for years before I get bored of it.

I think I'll be playing Civ IV at least until Civ VI comes out. I've been reading about facets of Civ V, and honestly, I do not like the direction in which it is going. There are some things I think I will love, like the hex-tiles and the quantified nature of strategic resources. Unfortunately, they are overshadowed by things which I do not think I can abide: mainly 1UPT (1-unit per tile limit). I heard :religion: is not returning is either gone or greatly diminished and :espionage: is out, however they may return in expansions.

I'm trying to keep an open mind about the new title, but it seems like all of the things that make [civ4] great will be gone in Civ V. :cry: If my fears are realized, the only vacations on the horizon from [civ4] will be StarCraft II and Halo Reach.

I will probably switch to civ 5 and stop playing civ 4 altogether. Everything I've heard about civ 5 sounds awesome and I've never looked back to an older version of the series previously since I consider each new title a vast improvement over the predecessor.

I'll keep playing Civ4 until I beat deity

Me too - the plan is to get that done before Civ5 comes out - even playing only a game a week these days I'm sure I'll hit a super-lucky start sooner or later. (Couldn't even beat Dr Kossin 30/Louis though so maybe it's just not going to happen :D)

Seriously though Civ5 does sound good, particularly the drastic reduction in troop movements, which both my laptop CPU and my skull CPU find heavy going in Civ4.

Maybe about a year for me, will still have pitboss games running for 6 months I would guess.

it seems most people I know, run in hardware cycles, so if Civ5 is hardware thirsty, I suspect alot of people will wait until for new hardware before switching.

Gameplay and just on more turn will play huge part for me - which ever game is best will have my time.

I'll have to see how they compare. I still play vanilla/warlord in the odd GOTM but they seem so backward compared to BTS.

Mainly I guess we'll have to wait and see. I expect some people on this forum are going to get beta copies so perhaps we can have a bit of advance notice of what V will be like. :)

Defintely will be ordering for launch day though. :)

I just switched from Civ III to IV a couple months ago, so I figure I've got years of IV ahead of me. Besides, as other posters already noted, it is worth waiting for a while so they can get the bugs out. I'll probably start thinking about V after they release the first expansion to it.

Civ 4 slows to a crawl on my PC in the modern age.

I can't imagine Civ 5 being a smaller program, things usually move the other way in sequels - so I'll move to Civ 5 when I upgrade my PC, which won't be for a few years yet.

I'll be playing CiV when I have a computer capable of playing it, and I figure it'll be around 3-4 years until I get a Mac Pro. :p

On a more serious level, I think it would feel weird going from a Civ game with 50-odd leaders, hectic espionage and religion subgames, a well-developed military aspect, and a huge body of academic lore (hahaha, <3 CFC) to an "unexpanded" one. So I'd want to wait for the first expansion.

That said, I am insanely excited about the city-states mechanic and I might cave in early just to experience that facet of the game.

I'll be around 'til civ 6 comes out. Like Star Trek movies, only the even numbered ones are good.

As I am just getting back into Civ IV after a couple year hiatus I dont think I will be switching to CIV V rght away. Probably wait at least for the first expansion. Although the hype might suck me in as we get closer to the release date :)

I have faith in the Civ franchise. They're game design for later versions always seem to be ideas & implementation of ideas -> refinement of ideas & new ideas.

Culture was handled badly in civ 3, but it works well in civ 4. I can only imagine there'll be further refinement to things like economy, religion, diplomacy and espionage in civ 5, making it a deeper, richer game.

I did not answer the question, and won't. There is simply no way to know until we find out if V is a better game. From what I've seen I like it, but I am concerned about certain significant changes in game play, like the elimination of unit stacking. It could either make the game much better or much worse, depending on how well balanced units are and how ranged attack abilities operate.

The question is simply unanswerable for anyone who's not actually played Civ V.

I will probably jump right on board CIV 5. I suspect it will get a strong forum going and new life because of the newness of the game. Good to get in on the ground floor. I'll still stick around here for some competition stuff though.

Everytime my interest in playing CivIV wanes, I come across a mod pack or scenario like Legends of Revolution or the Ancient Mediterranean and I'm good to go for another year.

Fact- i will buy it the day it comes out

Fact- i will complain about things and say they should have done this or that like some uptight gaming brat and then complain about when the next patch is coming and then write all kinds of crap and when someone writes something i disagree with i will write condescending smart alec
retorts

Fact- I will buy the first expansion and play during 2012 with the world burning around me and the heavens aflame and right before the sun explodes i will upgrade my spearmen

Fact- Civ3 was a great game , played it til my fingers bled and those i love looked at me like i was out of my mind , and thought Play the World was a blast even tho everyone thought it was horrible. Civ4 was better (all expansions)

the evidence is clear- Civ - game eternal

Why are so many people concerned about the 1uph? Have you played Panzer General? If you have, how can you believe it's not going to work? The combat in PG is totally awesome, no reason it wont be in civ5.

Top Bottom