The basic key, how to play this game, a lot of tips

MorteEterna

Prince
Days ago I was thinking about a thread about this. I think some strategies are good, but some good players could not be able to use these because these are too hard. So, I will put here many tips, and if you want you can tell me some of these, if these are good enough, I would put them here. PS: If you think this is spamming, well, the strategy archive isn't working since maybe more than a month, so maybe we should need another archive, I would like to open it, and this is one of the thread I would put there.

The flag: a good useful thing, the size means how many units there are in that city, the quality means if the culture is good or not in that city. If there isn't the flag, it means no units.

When you see no flag in some cities; moves at the end of the turn: When you see there are no units, you should not move as fast as possible, but you should go on diplomacy, seeing when others have passed the turn, then, move your unit and hit the turn as fast as possible. In this way he couldn't be able to be enough fast to stop you, and this isn't cheating/exploiting.

When you have no gold, but units, you can use threats : Yes, when there are AI, as I told you in other threads, they generate 25 gold if needed, and try to ask you if you want this for 10 turns of peace. So if you know you can't beat them, you aren't a rusher, and maybe you have only a warrior at the start, for example using romans, declare them war, go on diplomacy and you can decide peace or war, say war, and they will ask you 10 turns of peace for 25 gold. This means more than 1/2 of a settler and they won't declare war to you. This isn't cheating or exploiting, again, but using threats as a good weapon.

How to use choke points, and be careful for culture flips: You should not use defencive units, why? Simply, you can defend, but not attack. What is the problem? The choke point usually is a hill, but the map is very large, you can't stop your enemy. He sees your archer, then? He takes another direction and no problems. This works only for one tile blocking your enemy. So, it's better to put offensive units there, you fortify them, with forstress, and a legion army could have 6 defence with no problems, that is difficult to take down. But you can attack other units with 9 attack.
If you don't want that your enemy flip your cities, put your units, if possible offencive units, next to your cities, you could wait with a defencive army on the city, and an offensive army next to the city. When he flips that, he has no defencive bonuses, so an archer army has 6 defence and you can attack it.

Exterior of cities, a really helpful thing, combined with the knowledge of how many technologies your enemy has : Well, this is another important thing, seeing the exterior of cities, you can see pillars of the building. Seeing who is winning, how many technologies he has, how many technologies you have, you can know what tech he should have. If he is near you on tech, this is really easy, go on the tech tree, and if you see a number green on a tech that you already have, it means you have got the first to research bonus, if you see the number 1 green on a technology that you don't have, it means you can research it and get the first to research bonus. If you don't have the tech and see the number green, it means one of your enemies has got that technology (really helpful).

If one enemy is building a building, and he is finishing it, let him doing that, then, attack him, so he won't change the production from the building to units. Let's say he is building a university (2 times the normal pillars), if he has 150 hammers, he could change the production and get units for 150 hammers. If you wait that he finishes that, you won't see new units, and you will get also the free building. Remember after you get a city, walls, temples and cathedrals disappear

Pressing enemies at the start, is a must : Yes, I am serious, you should really block your enemies as fast as possible, don't be lazy, and move your warriors near your enemy squares, instead of waiting on choke points near you. If you wait on food, this would be really a problem for him, and he shouldn't waste production on a warrior army with few possibilities to kill you (3v3. 30 hammers v 10). On deity you can stop their 40% handicap bonus by blocking them, and only after 40-50 turns they would start their legions rush, but you should have defences or enough units to kill him.

Expanding fast is better than waiting for republic: Many of you maybe think that expanding after republic is better, but, building a city 15 turns before isn't better? You could have more time for production or other things. Now, you would think about the 1 pop settler cost. Simply, if you have 3 population, work on 1 grassland and 2 forests, and in 5 turns you would have 2 population and your settler as if it would be republic. Useful with china, but you can do this with other civs, for example arabs, greeks, english that start with a government.

How to avoid a 50-50 attack where you could lose all your units: In my opinion this could be a problem, I mean, when for example you are aztecs and go for horsemen, and your enemy has horsemen, too. Who has the best connection or luck wins? No, simply, you need another unit, a militia is good enough. Put your units on a hill if possible, and, you can do everything you want. After 2 turns automatically your enemy should attack your miltia (defencive unit) and not the army, as I did today. Let's say you are next to a city, with miltia/horsemen on a hill. He should attack you. Militia has fortification (2,5 plus hill), horsemen have 4,5 (3+50%) normally. Simply, if he attacks, you can attack him after his attack, and if he doesn't, you can attack your enemy, or you can attack him. This isn't hard, simply, move your starting units to your enemies and wait there.

If one enemy is building a building, and he is finishing it, let him doing that, then, attack him, so he won't change the production from the building to units. Let's say he is building a university (2 times the normal pillars), if he has 150 hammers, he could change the production and get units for 150 hammers. If you wait that he finishes that, you won't see new units, and you will get also the free building. Remember after you get a city, walls, temples and cathedrals disappear

I read that being in Republic government will result in the cathedrals / temples staying intact. Is this correct?

Top Bottom