[BtS] "Mars, Now!"

Yes :(, because it seems, that there's really no reason :( (the log says again nothing, what i could see :().

Okay, i've identified, that minimum 1 unit can cause a crash (because the "naked" mod has only units, the techtree and the civilizations in it, and only unit graphics), but to find out, what unit it is, need time.
I have also no idea, why it crashs so often on some systems :(.
My system is relativly stable, so i can't reproduce that.

My system is relatively stable too (never had crashes in civ, also with the mods I installed). I have a Dell Dimension 5000 2.8ghz win xp sp3, Nvidia geforce 9800gt, 2 GB mem, enough HD space.

Maybe the cause of the crash is another installed mod? The mods i have installed are attached as an img.

I don't know if it's too much work for you, but maybe you could make a "new mod" which is a clean BTS game, with only the MarsNow units in it? Maybe I/we could find out what unit is causing the CTD...

Attachments

• mods-whee.jpg
    mods-whee.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 165
Most of the ctd's occur when entering sandstorms, and when I reload the game I could play a couple of more turns until I enter a sandstorm again. They seem to randomly cause crashes.

Maybe the cause of the crash is another installed mod? The mods i have installed are attached as an img.

Thanks for the help, but other mods should not affect the stability.

I don't know if it's too much work for you, but maybe you could make a "new mod" which is a clean BTS game, with only the MarsNow units in it? Maybe I/we could find out what unit is causing the CTD...

Is already done, here on my computer, but i hope, it is not necessary, because i've found something :):
Like already said, most CtDs appear, when entering a storm, and you've also mentioned, that you can still hear the bird sounds.
So i thought, it could be a problem with the bird-effect, which i had removed.
-> I've looked at the FeatureInfos.xml (which i didn't take out for the "naked" mod), and no, the effect is gone, but uuuhh:

PHP:
<EffectType>NONE</EffectType>
<iEffectProbability>15</iEffectProbability>

There was still a probability, that the effect could occure, but there is no effect, and when "nothing" happens, but something should happen...
I'm relativly sure, that this was the problem.
Had a testgame with the changes, first CtD in round 182, this is better than on the most systems.

So, it would help, if somebody could replace his "marsjetzt-v03\assets\XML\TerrainInfos\Civ4FeatureInfos.xml with the attached one, and tell me, if it makes a difference.

Attachments

• CIV4FeatureInfos.zip
    2 KB · Views: 102
So, it would help, if somebody could replace his "marsjetzt-v03\assets\XML\TerrainInfos\Civ4FeatureInfos.xml with the attached one, and tell me, if it makes a difference.

Replaced the file... No crash in the next 60 turns! (still gaming... hope i don't have to edit this post to give a crashlog...)

Hmmm... sorry. Another CTD entering hills with an exploration tank. log attatched...

Attachments

• Logs5.rar
    592.9 KB · Views: 139
:cry:
But lastet a bit longer, am i right?

I can see some more errors, it seems, that soundfiles are missing or the mod can't load, but i've directly looked in my directories, the sounds should be there :confused:.

Also interesting: The MP-log says, that there's an asynchronicity, which i also have seen in some logs, but not in all.

Okay, again to the bugtesting :(.

:cry: But lastet a bit longer, am i right?

yep.

I can see some more errors, it seems, that soundfiles are missing or the mod can't load, but i've directly looked in my directories, the sounds should be there :confused:.

Also interesting: The MP-log says, that there's an asynchronicity, which i also have seen in some logs, but not in all.

Okay, again to the bugtesting :(.

I installed the mod just as you said, so, if it's right, i would have the same files in my modfolder. Still playing now, and 30 turns further, no crash. I'll keep you up to date...

Well, it didn't prevent all the crashes (I had a program execution failure), but I can tell you right now I think you've licked the sandstorm problem. I mean, it's usually a good idea to avoid the sandstorms in the first place, but now it's not because of the crashes.

To tell you the truth, that event thing sounds similar to something I'd been thinking of, only I discounted it since I was sure you'd edited out the bird graphics. I guess I was only half right there. :lol:

I'm going to give you a save game that crashes after hitting end turn, as well as the logs I've been recording for it. Hopefully this can help you narrow down the cause of it. I don't have the time to debug it myself, unfortunately...prior commitments.

There's two "MPLog" and "network" logs, the latter pair being from three turns of gameplay working from an autosave...I'm just glad I remembered the turn I crashed on. The former encompasses the entirety of my play today...hopefully you don't have to go back that far, but I'd rather err on the side of too much information than too little. Just a warning: the former MPLog file takes a long time to load.

Hmm...I also got a TXT_FOUkkkSOURCE message azuil...only I got that one ingame. It pointed toward the crashed ship on the west side of my territory, and said some resource had shown up (but the ship has been there for longer than I can remember). It happened sometime within the three turns between my autosave and the crash. Maybe I'd better include the autosave too. Thanks azuil for your post, otherwise I'd have forgotten about it.

Attachments

• Charles D'Artagnan Crashes AD-2192-July.CivBeyondSwordSave
    424 KB · Views: 71
  • Mars, Now v03b Crash Logs (Tssha).zip
    7.2 MB · Views: 107
  • AutoSave_AD-2192-January.CivBeyondSwordSave
    422.4 KB · Views: 140
Hmm...I also got a TXT_FOUkkkSOURCE message azuil...only I got that one ingame. It pointed toward the crashed ship on the west side of my territory, and said some resource had shown up (but the ship has been there for longer than I can remember). It happened sometime within the three turns between my autosave and the crash. Maybe I'd better include the autosave too. Thanks azuil for your post, otherwise I'd have forgotten about it.

You're welcome. I also had it pionting at the crashed ship, and also had it ingame.

yep.

I installed the mod just as you said, so, if it's right, i would have the same files in my modfolder. Still playing now, and 30 turns further, no crash. I'll keep you up to date...

How long can you play without a CtD (circa)?

Well, it didn't prevent all the crashes (I had a program execution failure), but I can tell you right now I think you've licked the sandstorm problem. I mean, it's usually a good idea to avoid the sandstorms in the first place, but now it's not because of the crashes.

To tell you the truth, that event thing sounds similar to something I'd been thinking of, only I discounted it since I was sure you'd edited out the bird graphics. I guess I was only half right there. :lol:

Yes, it seems so :).

Small bug: I get TXT_FOUkkkSOURCE in my event log.

This was an message for my playtesting, i thought, i had removed it, but i was wrong.
This message shouldn't affect anything.

I'm going to give you a save game that crashes after hitting end turn, as well as the logs I've been recording for it. Hopefully this can help you narrow down the cause of it. I don't have the time to debug it myself, unfortunately...prior commitments.

Thanks for the log and the savegame, i found the bug.
It was caused by one of my random events. I had some precautions to prevent that, but they were not enough.
I've fixed it :).

So, a small patch:

Patch C
Includes patch A and B.
Will NOT break savegames.

- Fixes the bug, which will cause crashes when moving into a storm
- Fixes a bug, which could lead to crashes, when playing with the maximum numbers of AIs and a special event occurs.
- Removed some nonsense-messages

I hope, with this the most games run stable (stable = more than 100 rounds without a CtD)

How long can you play without a CtD (circa)?

about 50 turns, so it's much more stable now.

Thanks for the patch, I'll try it tomorrow, i'm too busy with other things right now (like being on civfanatics... :rolleyes:)

I'll let you know/log.

The main bug is the one with the FeatureInfos, so your game will not be affected by the patch, because you already have it :(.
50 rounds is not enough :(.

I forgot:
@Tssha: Hard game, when i look at the savegame, am i right?
I should make the starting positions not random on the pre-made maps, nearly all starting positions in that savegame s***.

It is, shall we say...interesting. :)

At any rate, I'm doing better than the competition. Perhaps they're as bad off as I am? :lol:

I don't look at it as a downer, at any rate. I like the challenge of having fewer resources than normal. It helps you learn how to economize...and it's fun all on its own to figure out how best to make use of what you have.

Just one question though...where's the irrigation tech? I have no idea where in the tech tree to find the technology that unlocks the spreading of irrigation.

Civ should really have a way of tracking what tech unlocks which functions, for example: Bridge Building, or Farms without Irrigation. That way, mod players just have to check their tech compass to see where to angle their research.

It is, shall we say...interesting. :)

At any rate, I'm doing better than the competition. Perhaps they're as bad off as I am? :lol:

No, they are just AI :D.

I don't look at it as a downer, at any rate. I like the challenge of having fewer resources than normal. It helps you learn how to economize...and it's fun all on its own to figure out how best to make use of what you have.

Nice :).
I wanted the mod to be something like that.

But i really think, your starting position is poor, not to mention some of the AIs.

Just one question though...where's the irrigation tech? I have no idea where in the tech tree to find the technology that unlocks the spreading of irrigation.

erm...there is none.
I thought, that spreading the irrigation over the whole planet would not be realistic, so i took that out.

But that's also a matter of balancing, and can be discussed.

Civ should really have a way of tracking what tech unlocks which functions, for example: Bridge Building, or Farms without Irrigation. That way, mod players just have to check their tech compass to see where to angle their research.

A bit is done in the civilopedia, but you're right, there could be more.

Played yesterday a 2 player hotseat and had to save after something about 50+ rounds because of bedtime - without any crash :)

Played yesterday a 2 player hotseat and had to save after something about 50+ rounds because of bedtime - without any crash :)

Nice to hear, i hope, it continues :).

hey the j,

have you removed the rivers with the code i gave ya?

glad to know you got over some of the ctds :)

I had today the first real time for modding, i've looked at it.
It works for the scripts, nice :), and thanks :).

But i'm not sure atm, what i should do, when the "rivers" are removed.
To what should i connect the farmes?
It can't be, that farms can be built everywhere on Mars, it would be not logical.

Patch D
Will break Savegames!
Includes the patches A - C.

Bugfixes:
- No more bird-sound on Mars
- Added some sound-files, which seem to miss at some computers

Balancing:
- The costs and the AI for some parts of the tech-tree have been re-worked
- The "unique features" will now not appear in the FC of the first city

Other things:
- Renamed "National Epic" to "Statue Of The Fallen Astronauts"
- New modell for the "National Military Industries" by Moeb and The_Coyote
- English versions for nearly all current technology quotes added
- Chance of random city growth when a city is expanded
- Added one new event
- Changed one event: When a volcano breaks out, the surrounding plots get the feature "volcano ashes" (+2 :food:)
- New "Unique Power" for Israel: "Scientists And Explorers"

I wanted to more, but had not enough time.
Had the idea for 3 events, but one doesn't work and i don't know why, for one is the effect a bit unclear, for the third was it just the time :blush:.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0189.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0189.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 410
Top Bottom