[BtS] "Mars, Now!"

I've separated the jumplanes (i didn't include the warplanes), i'll upload them soon, so that you needn't download my whole mod to use it.
Edit: Here they are.

Thanks! :D I had already downloaded your mod*, but you saved me the trouble of unpacking the PAK.

* Alas, I already get python errors on the Dawn of Man screen.

Why do you ask :D? Do you think about re-integrating roads in Planetfall?

Planetfall already/still has roads, well magtubes at least. It's for that purpose.

Changing the CvMainInterface didnt do a thing. I'm lost for ideas. That said, my knowledge of python is sketchy at best.
I am running windows XP, BTS is patched up fully.

Strange, i thougt it could have been a OS-problem.

PM to Primordial Stew is out, maybe he can help.

Looks awesome. I had some Python exceptions when I loaded the game, and a CTD after a few turns.

Spoiler :
Traceback (most recent call last):

File "<string>", line 1, in ?

File "<string>", line 52, in load_module

File "Creation", line 121, in ?

ImportError: cannot import name random
Failed to load python module Creation.
ERR: Call function getModPath failed. Can't find module Creation.py

File "ErebusWrap", line 129, in ?

Failed to load python module ErebusWrap.
ERR: Call function getModPath failed. Can't find module ErebusWrap.py

File "PerfectWorld2", line 127, in ?

Failed to load python module PerfectWorld2.
ERR: Call function getModPath failed. Can't find module PerfectWorld2.py

File "PerfectWorld_Flavoured", line 121, in ?

Failed to load python module PerfectWorld_Flavoured.
ERR: Call function getModPath failed. Can't find module PerfectWorld_Flavoured.py
ERR: Call function getModPath failed. Can't find module Creation.py
ERR: Call function getModPath failed. Can't find module ErebusWrap.py
ERR: Call function getModPath failed. Can't find module PerfectWorld2.py

....erm...strange.
Can you start the normal game with a random map?
-> This is the only thing, that could be a problem, because one error says, that my mapscript can't be loaded.
...the other errors...these are special mapscripts (like Erebus for FfH2), which have no connection to my mod, they shouldn't be loaded. I have the same problem with my normal BtS, i don't know, where it comes from, but it shouldn't affect the game.

Can you give us a list of all the civs, who they represent, the names of the leaders and the leaderheads used. This mod sounds interesting.

Second that.

I don't know, why it is so interesting (because there's no real background at the moment), but if you want it:
NASA: John R. Gore, Peter McCain Schwarzeneggar) , Richard Kennedy (from Final Frontier)
ESA (European Space Association): Irina Politkowskaja (Tymoshenko from CivGold), Frank Walter von Braun, Felipe Gonzales
ISRO (Indian Space Research Organization): Mohindar Singh, Ranju Tata (Marti from CivGold)
JAXA (Japan Aerospace eXploration Association): Ming Liu, Hiro Nakamura (Wu + Meiji V1
Russian Federation: Viktor Klitschko (Janis Caktse), Wladimir Puschkin (Sakaashvili)
People's Republic Of China: Kim Chen, Jiang Tse Tung
OPEC (Organization of Petrol Exporting Countries; will maybe be renamed to "Arabian League): Mohammed Bin Saud (Bin Saud), Mehmed ibn Farud (Munoz Marin
Israel: Samuel Diamantenstein (Ben Gurion), Ismael Stier (Kekkonen)
Canada: Jean Chirac, Adam Johnson (Ataturk)
Korea: Ando Kensei
African Union: Thomas Mubarak (Idi Amin, Kufi Annana
South-American Union: Francisco Cortez (Hugo Chavez), Pablo Morales (from CivGold)
Mars-Colonists: Patrick Kirk (Jack Ryan), Charles D'Artagnan (Garibladi
Private Space Explorers: Steve Gates (Curtin), Robert Jobs (from Final Frontier)
Jail Inc.: William Bush (Stambolov), Peter Ackermann (Firefly)

Noticed something odd: if I set EnableVoice = 1 in the My Games/BtS/CivIV ini file I get no CTDs. (At least on the 18 civ map, where I'm now at turn 165.)

Strange, i don't know, why this could help to prevent crashes, but i created a small patch, which changes this. I don't want to let something untried to solve the problem.

Edit: Hotfix didn't work :( -> removed.

Why did you have this idea? There are some problems with missing 3D-sounds form the finalfrontier-units, which, i think, are one reason for a crash (sound-loading-error is sometimes the last mentioned thing in my logfiles).

Regarding the warp and jump lanes: Thomas war only redid the warp lanes. I raised the jump lanes for my Future mod, pure drudgery, so if you need I can attach them. Also, for a primitive city set you could hardly do better than the Hive set from planetfall.

Damn, i should have looked closer to your mod, it would have saved me time.
Hive: I'll look at it -> i must download the last Planetfall-patch :).

Looks great, good opening, like the opening video. Set up first game with HUGE map, completed start sequence moved first unit and got a Blue Screen of Death and laptop rebooted. No chance of a logfile there sorry. Second attempt was a standard sized map and played well for about 10 turns and got a CtD. Will try again later, with save game and see if it crashes again. Will also attempt to get log files.

I hope, trying a smaller map will lead to less CtDs, but it's no solution.
Log could be good.

I also get spin locks as well when waiting for the AI to complete its moves. ::BUMMER::

You shouldn't play big mapsizes, when you don't have a strong computer.
The "more" of land-plots is not easy for the most pcs.

Nice start of this mod, The J. :hatsoff:

In case you're still looking for a better fitting cityset, perhaps the prefab cityset in Planetfall is something for you.

Also thanks for the hint, i'll download the latest planetfall-patch, maybe it fits good :).

Thanks! :D I had already downloaded your mod*, but you saved me the trouble of unpacking the PAK.

When there's no bigger trouble in mod-making :D.

* Alas, I already get python errors on the Dawn of Man screen.

What exactly please?

Planetfall already/still has roads, well magtubes at least. It's for that purpose.

Damn, i would know this, if i had time to play.

very cool The_J!

I toyed with an idea of doing this at one point. glad you saved me the work.

I hope, i didn't steal your idea :(.

by the way I was taking the terrain colors from civ2 for the mars terrain - what did you do? adjust the hue/saturation?

The civ4-terrain colors? Don't you think, that you could have seen the pixels?

Yes, i adjustetd the hue and saturation. I used IrfanView, i changed the RGB-values. It was really simple, the first thing i did for my mod :D.

....erm...strange.
Can you start the normal game with a random map?
-> This is the only thing, that could be a problem, because one error says, that my mapscript can't be loaded.
...the other errors...these are special mapscripts (like Erebus for FfH2), which have no connection to my mod, they shouldn't be loaded. I have the same problem with my normal BtS, i don't know, where it comes from, but it shouldn't affect the game.

You shouldn't play big mapsizes, when you don't have a strong computer.
The "more" of land-plots is not easy for the most pcs.

I played the Caladan scenario which is a small map. I never play large or huge maps. I've started the game several times with the same result.

As far as the map scripts being in the public maps folder, they should normally not interfere with the loading of BtS or a related mod, as long as you don't actually try to run a game with them, which I did not (I ran Caladan as I pointed out earlier). The Python problem manifested itself when I initially launched the mod.

I played the Caladan scenario which is a small map. I never play large or huge maps. I've started the game several times with the same result.

As far as the map scripts being in the public maps folder, they should normally not interfere with the loading of BtS or a related mod, as long as you don't actually try to run a game with them, which I did not (I ran Caladan as I pointed out earlier). The Python problem manifested itself when I initially launched the mod.

I know about that, but this is the problem. It seems, that the mod tries to load other mapscripts, but the loading fails.
I have, like already said, the same problem with normal BtS, where i get the error, when it tries to load the erebus-mapscript. I don't know, what's the reason for it :(, but it seems, that i have to find it.

My question to you was: Can you start a game with my only included mapscript named "random"?

Wladimir Klitschko? Where did you get that name? There's a boxer named Wladimir Klitschko.

Ming Liu doesn't sound like a Japanese name.

That's strange, because I haven't had that problem with BtS. It looks like you've got some Python function checking the map scripts while the mod is loading. Why? If that's the case, that Python function needs to be modified to ignore any map script in the public folder which is not compatible with the mod. Is that possible?

Either way, map scripts are a minor issue. I can get past the six messages during the mod's initial loading to get through to the game. What is a real problem is those CtD's and spin locks.

@MadmanOfaLeader: Ah, damn, sorry, it's Viktor Klitschko and Wladimir Puschkin (i know the boxers ;)).

Ming Liu: Give me a right female japanese name, and i'll replace it :).

That's strange, because I haven't had that problem with BtS. It looks like you've got some Python function checking the map scripts while the mod is loading. Why? If that's the case, that Python function needs to be modified to ignore any map script in the public folder which is not compatible with the mod. Is that possible?

Either way, map scripts are a minor issue. I can get past the six messages during the mod's initial loading to get through to the game. What is a real problem is those CtD's and spin locks.

I don't have changed the loading-functions for the map-scripts (i don't know how to do this), and i also get no error. It seems, that there's a strange interaction between some mods (or...i don't know...). I think, you're right, i'll have to check my python-files.

The performance: What pc do you have (cpu, ram, etc)?

It's an average-low computer as far as ram and processing speeds go. I've been running FfH2 without any trouble (small or standard maps), to give you an idea.

----------

Here...
Spoiler :
OS Name Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
Version 5.0.2195 Service Pack 4 Build 2195
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DRAGON
System Manufacturer BIOSTA
System Model AWRDACPI
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 1 AuthenticAMD ~1799 Mhz
BIOS Version Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Windows Directory C:\WINNT
System Directory C:\WINNT\system32
Boot Device \Device\Harddisk0\Partition1
Locale United States
User Name DRAGON\Administrator
Time Zone Central Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 523,760 KB
Available Physical Memory 168,988 KB
Total Virtual Memory 1,752,640 KB
Available Virtual Memory 1,093,416 KB
Page File Space 1,228,880 KB

Okay, the performance is good enough.

When in the game do you have the problems?
From the beginning or later in the game?
Are civilizations with the "resourceful"-trait in the game?
Is the gravitation-generator already built?
Did some civs change their civics in "Life 2.0"-column?

Okay, the performance is good enough.

When in the game do you have the problems?
From the beginning or later in the game?
Are civilizations with the "resourceful"-trait in the game?
Is the gravitation-generator already built?
Did some civs change their civics in "Life 2.0"-column?

Between Turn 5 to 10, I usually get a CtD or a spinlock, whichever occurs first. I haven't played the game past that so I've got no idea what a gravitation-generator is (the answer is perhaps no). Ditto the "Life 2.0"-column. :confused:

I can try to run another game and watch for any other civ with the "resourceful" trait...

Between Turn 5 to 10, I usually get a CtD or a spinlock, whichever occurs first. I haven't played the game past that so I've got no idea what a gravitation-generator is (the answer is perhaps no). Ditto the "Life 2.0"-column. :confused:

I can try to run another game and watch for any other civ with the "resourceful" trait...

Gravitation-generator: mid-game wonder.
Life 2.0-column: Last civic-column.
These things could have an impact on performance, but it is not sure, how big it is.

Does anyone here also have doubling units like here?

Here's a female Japanese name: Chieko Teramura. No, this isn't from an anime or nothing. It's from a learn Japanese book.

Ming Liu is Chinese, not Japanese.

Tried another game. This time one CtD around Turn 75 (I think...) when I moved one of my mercenary units onto a stack of my own units in enemy territory. No obvious reason here why the game crashed.

There was one AI leader with the "Resourceful" Trait.

There were a couple event-related Python errors during play

Spoiler :

File "CvEventInterface", line 23, in onEvent

File "CvEventManager", line 194, in handleEvent

File "CvEventManager", line 368, in onBeginGameTurn

File "CvTopCivs", line 241, in turnChecker

File "CvTopCivs", line 104, in showScreen

AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'choice'
ERR: Python function onEvent failed, module CvEventInterface

Also found those later on:

Spoiler :

File "CvEventManager", line 368, in onBeginGameTurn

File "CvTopCivs", line 241, in turnChecker

File "CvTopCivs", line 104, in showScreen

AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'choice'
Can't find type enum for type tag UNITCLASS_TACTICAL_NUKE

File "CvEventManager", line 490, in onBeginGameTurn

File "CvEventManager", line 2001, in doChooseNewStarAlignment

File "CvEventManager", line 2148, in doStarReligionBonus

NameError: global name 'iMissionary7' is not defined

Strange, i don't know, why this could help to prevent crashes, but i created a small patch, which changes this. I don't want to let something untried to solve the problem.

-> Unzip this, and install it. Select the "marsjetzt-v02"-folder during installation.

Why did you have this idea? There are some problems with missing 3D-sounds form the finalfrontier-units, which, i think, are one reason for a crash (sound-loading-error is sometimes the last mentioned thing in my logfiles).

Actually, that was just a crazy idea: I'm currently in an advanced game with EnableVoice = 0. I got several CTDs when entering a Sand/Magnetic Storm, but was able to reload and continue each time. (I don't think the EnableVoice setting is related to the CTDs.)

And I agree Ming Liu sounds Chinese, rather than Japanese.

Anyway, great job so far. I can tell a lot of work went into the maps, civics, units, buttons, graphics and what not.

I only noticed - apart from the CTDs - that several names, nouns and adjectives aren't correctly spelled (like Marsian instead of Martian, american instead of American, etc). I'm also a bit confused about the Panzer Kunst religion (which translates to Armor Art)... Are you planning to include more Mars-style religions in the future?

EDIT: Noticed 4 more things;

- Spies, when kept in their home city, tend to disappear (they have to be rebuilt several times over)
- Settlers seem to be buildable in a limited amount (is this intended as a standard feature?)
- the Satellites aren't really airborne (can't pass over Mountains/water, visibility identical to ground units) and they appear in groups of 11 with the standard graphics setting
- the Assassin doesn't really have Hidden Nationality.

Hello !
Wonderful work ! :D
But I got lot of CTD and I have to save almost every turn and reload to play as well. I was playing large map. I think it's not a RAM problem cause I have 4 GB. So what ?
I have 3.17 too.:cry:

Keep on trying, you'll get there !

Pascal.

Hmm...... I installed the Hotfix, but it doesn't work. There are still CTD's after one or three turns.

Yeah, this no interface bug is perplexing...and this isn't my first spin around the block when it comes to installing mods, I know what I'm doing...very odd...

I tried redownloading the mod. I tried not installing the CtD hotfix. I tried loading the mod through Choose a Mod instead of launch options. I tried launching a random map and a scenario. Nothing worked.

I can't access the options menu, the Civilopedia, or even Play Now. Though, at the time, I assumed it was disabled intentionally...whether that's actually the case or not, I have no idea, but it's greyed out just the same.

I own Beyond the Sword through Steam and my operating system is Windows XP x64 edition. As weird-spec as my machine may be though, it handles every other mod correctly (including Planetfall and Fall from Heaven). Not sure why this one won't work...

Top Bottom