Just bought Civ II MGE install/setup/version Q's

GA4L

Chieftain
Hello fellow Civ players. So I recently won Civ II MGE complete in an Ebay auction and I have some questions. First I've read that the MGE version is different from the original Civ II in that some music was taken out and the AI is more aggressive. I've also seen that the MGE version can be downgraded to the classic version. I'm wondering if I use the CD Crack for the MGE version if the original version will work with the sound, the sticky for it above said there was no sound because it wouldn't work with the MGE cd in the drive.

I haven't played the PC version of either Civ II or Civ II MGE but I have played the PSX version. Does anybody know what version of Civ II the PSX version was based on? I got hooked on Civ with the PSX version and even after having played 3, IV, and V on the PC that game was the most fun.

So I'm wondering which Civ II will give me the closest experience to the PSX version, Civ II or Civ II MGE. Hopefully it's possible with the MGE version and some tricks to have both it and the classic version on the desktop without the disk needed for either.

Finally is it possible to use the expansions that come with the MGE version, basically they are scenario packs from what I've read, with the classic game or can I only use those with the MGE version?

I'm running Windows 7 32-bit so the install shouldn't be a problem. I actually got the MGE version because I thought I needed the 32-bit version of the program for it to install but I guess the 16-bit version would have worked anyway. It was a good deal though and it came with everything.

If I could get some help with these questions that would be great. Basically giving me an outline of what to do to get the game up and running both the MGE version and classic version. I've seen the topics on here regarding the CD Crack, converting MGE to classic and having to patch the game after it's installed. Not sure what order to do what in though. Oh, and can I install it through the disk or do I need to copy and paste some files from the disk instead? I won't have the game for several days so feel free to post at any time.

Thanks!

Ok, so I got the game today but I can't get it to install. I can get to the install screen but I click on install and the little loading circle pops up next to my mouse but nothing happens. The circle goes away and that's it. I've tried running both the autorun and SETUP exe in Admin and compatibility mode but same result. I figured this would work being a Windows 7 32 bit OS.

My computer is saying it's an Enhanced Audio CD. Is this the problem? I need some help!

Alright I got the game installed using the Universal Extractor program that I found from a random topic on this site. I also applied the latest patch but I'm not sure if it worked or not since I had to do a manual install. The game itself is working but the startup audio isn't the best, the part with the logos and intro video. How can I tell which version of the game I am running? Version 1.0 compared to 1.3?

Next up is getting it to run without the disk and then getting the base version of the game.

So my version is 5.2.5f. Is this the latest version of Civ II MGE? Why is the patch 1.3 and this number is different?

Alright I need to know what directory the patch needs to install correctly. I tried running it directly in the game files and still no update. I manually installed my game in the C directory in which I made a folder called Civ II MGE. Inside that folder is the unextracted data1 cab file. Everything else is working great, the game, saves, even checking for the disk when I tried to play without it. I just need to know where the patch is looking because obviously it's not finding the game due to my manual install.

Really would appreciate a response to this one! I feel like I'm posting to myself here.

I've tried mps civ2 which is the default directory I guess and then I put it in program files too still no patch. I wonder if you manually install the game the way I did it can't be patched? Am I missing a file that an install directly from the CD would give me to enable patches to work? The game won't let me install from it directly.

Top Bottom