Official System Requirements

I hate to be a cynic here, but being burned from Civ IV. I say the recomended specs are the minimum specs and just totally ignore the minimum specs. They will absolutley not work.

Fool me once, shame on you, Fool me twice shame on me. I am waiting for the demo to see if I can actually run the game. So anyone who thinks there system might not run Civ V download and play the demo.

One of the previews that were just released said they didn't notice a differance between 11 and 10. I'm sure there are some, but nothing we would notice. As for will one card have better graphics than another, maybe, but again they didn't notice it. I'm sure you could find benchmarks of those cards and compare fps, but that doesn't translate to better graphics.

Sorry I took it out on you :sad:

And I didnt realize you werent a native speaker so I should have expected a little bit of a barrier. And Im gona wait for the demo, because (like I said) my system runs Civ 4 with high graphics and perfect everything with a lower card. I just wonder, and this is a question I read on another thread so Im not alone in thought, of somone can run Civ 4 really well can they run CiV?

It's ok! :) I think I'm close to fluent in English, but sometimes lack the practice to get the tone right and things like that.

I don't think being able to play Civ4 should be taken as any indication though. The engine has been completely redone, so there are different bottlenecks for performance (shifts in relative demands on CPU vs. memory vs. GPU). DirectX is also an important factor as marioflag and Davor pointed out. DX10 cards that are 'DX11 enabled' will be able to produce the same graphics as true DX11 cards, but they lack the optimizations that the real DX11 cards have, so performance will be lower.

im definitely going to need to upgrade my computer. im with Davor though that ill get a hold of the demo before i fully decide though.

I've got a laptop that has..

AMD Athlon X2 Dual-Core QL-65 2,1GHz
1GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650
4 GB RAM, 32 bit Vista Home Premium

So I guess it meets the minimum requirements... barely. Looks like I can no longer play on huge maps.

I hate to be a cynic here, but being burned from Civ IV. I say the recomended specs are the minimum specs and just totally ignore the minimum specs. They will absolutley not work.

Fool me once, shame on you, Fool me twice shame on me. I am waiting for the demo to see if I can actually run the game. So anyone who thinks there system might not run Civ V download and play the demo.

That's definetly the best bet, no doubt. My pc is mid range, but it tears those recommended specs apart, beyond my graphics card because it's not dx 11, but it will still fly through the game. I wasn't around for the civ iv release, but have read about it here since. If they can do it once, they can do it again.

It's ok! :) I think I'm close to fluent in English, but sometimes lack the practice to get the tone right and things like that.

I don't think being able to play Civ4 should be taken as any indication though. The engine has been completely redone, so there are different bottlenecks for performance (shifts in relative demands on CPU vs. memory vs. GPU). DirectX is also an important factor as marioflag and Davor pointed out. DX10 cards that are 'DX11 enabled' will be able to produce the same graphics as true DX11 cards, but they lack the optimizations that the real DX11 cards have, so performance will be lower.

I have a DX11 enabled DX10 card though. Whats that mean?

Curious that the minimum requirement for DirectX is 9.0c, but the minimum required ATI graphics card is one that supports DirectX 10.

The minimum specs for Civ 4 Colonization included at video card with 64 mb memory...well, I had a good time playing that game on a 2004 laptop with 32 mb of video memory. I had to use single units, no animations and all that, but it played fine, and it was fun! If anyone thinks their system can't handle the game but they really want it, they should try the demo.

Whether a game is playable or not is really subjective. I can handle 30-90-180 seconds between turns (I just have a book with me while I play). I can handle the computer mysteriously freezing up for 5-7 minutes every hour or so of play because the disk i/o buffer got overwhelmed or whatever happened. But not everyone can play a game like that.

Heck, I played Gal Civ 2 on that same computer with the map zoomed out until everything became icons and all the animated battles turned off. It was still fun.

But luckily I've bought a new computer since then, so I'll be able to enjoy Civ 5 at at least the standard settings...

i have absolutley no idea how to find out my graphics card specs, i've found the ram and dual core mhz,(and there just above the min) but nothing on graphics, help.

You may still be able to run it on a machine thats worse than stated under "minimum", its just they only go so far with the minimum specs so that people with bad machines don't complain when it doesn't work.

Also if your PC isn't up to minimum specs, you should consider upgrading your system.

i have absolutley no idea how to find out my graphics card specs, i've found the ram and dual core mhz,(and there just above the min) but nothing on graphics, help.

You have 1 GB Geforce 9500 GT Nvidia.

I should know, I ordered it. :)

As for how to find this information out well you right click on desktop and go to Nividia Control pannel which should tell you somewhere what graphics card it is.

Quick question, why is the game's system requirements almost as high as Tom Clancy's EndWar? Are there tons of in game videos and animations this time around?

Quick question, why is the game's system requirements almost as high as Tom Clancy's EndWar? Are there tons of in game videos and animations this time around?

If by that you mean "is it extreemely pretty and well animated" then the answer is yes.

Well, my Desktop is fine, I'm 2 cores short of Recommended but I think my ATI 5770 should make up for that.

My laptop on the other hand, I kind of expected that it would sink below the minimum, the GMA945 chipset is just ancient and the only thing holding me back from playing Civ on the go.

Time to start saving for a new Laptop.

To those of you that think these requirements are high, trust me, they're not, they're actually lower than most of the games I've seen released this year, you can't expect a computer that's 4 years old to play a brand new game.

Wait, if you have a really good computer can that make up for bad graphics? Because if you can then im set cause I have an awesome system.

One thing to consider when you try the demo is that I wasn't able to play the CIV IV demo at all, but the game was fine. Sometimes the demos are pretty much garbage, so, if the demo doesn't run well, wait a bit and see what people are reporting that the game itself actually runs on.

I'm hoping to be able to play it, even with low graphics, even though my processor is below minimum. The rest is fine, so we'll see! If not then I'll have to save my pennies and build myself another computer. Maybe I shouldn't have tried to be so cheap last time! :)

Top Bottom