Grrrrrrrrr CiV really making me angry! (intro video again)

bananamana

Chieftain
OK so I have put in just 150 hours so far. I gave up after the first month as wanted to wait for patches. Initially I was excited but then late games I found were meh..

Now I am finally enjoying CiV A LOT with latest patches and megamod. I really preferred the All in one mod alpha .7 most downloaded one but it keeps crashing my machine. Anyway I am happy with megamod in the meantime :)

I have been lucky enough to not experience any technical issues with the game so far.

To top off my complaint below Id like to say that I have a personal gripe that we have to watch the video while it loads at the beginning. Shoddy design simply. I got over that and persevered with the initial tiny negativity each load.

However my technical issue now is that the video WILL NOT SKIP! It now plays to the end and then just ends without loading anything else. LOL

Just when I am enjoying the game it starts this :(

Anyone know whats the story?

I verified Cache
Restarted PC
Changed Video Driver (I didn't make any changes before the problem started but i thought worth a try!)

* Navigate to My Documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization V/
* Look for the file "Usersettings.ini" and open it in a text editor like Notepad
* Search for the variable "SkipIntroVideo = 0"
* Change the 0 to 1

The video only plays as long as your time to load the game, so removing the video does nothing to decrease load time.

Just verifying the cache on a game isn't a wy to check for problems, if you have modded files they might be causing a conflict.

Thanks that will be handy and I've changed it.

Now I dont see video but get black screen constantly... Another issue somewhere

I haven't modded this game, so I'm ignorant about how it's handled. If you have a load order or mod manager maybe try changing the order or not using a mod.

Mods are not loaded at this point.

The game will now run again and played for an hour. It crashed but I am on a big map etc... Argh, im having such a fun game also! :/

Thanks that will be handy and I've changed it.

Now I dont see video but get black screen constantly... Another issue somewhere
Yes that is annoying. They need to make a loading screen for people who don't want to watch the intro movie.

Somewhere in the process something is failing obviously. If before you didn't have to watch the entire intro video whereas you do now, and you are still doing the same inputs to try and exit the intro, then it points to a problem with either your hardware or your installation.

Is there anything you did to the PC before this started happening? Do you have a hardware problem like a graphics card overheating or some such? Is it possible your hard drive is on the way out? I'm not tech support guy, but what you're describing is a problem I've never heard happening with the game.

Verify cache was a good first step to take, and updating video drivers was a good idea too. I'd suggest re-installing the game if you haven't already tried, but that may be a problem if the download size (or the time it takes) is a problem for you.

This thread might get more replies in the Tech Support forum, given that it's a question about technical issues. (Sorry I can't help; no idea what the problem might be.)

It's the usual wmv syndrome again.
This "codec" by MS has priority level ratings you'd rage about if you only knew. Odd ball chances just off the tip of my brainy experience with the Video array;

1) The entire executable stays in runtime memory stack space (or virtual dispatching!) even if the task is done and over. Laggy gameplay, you say?!
2) The registry override loop is stuck on a bunch of keystroke hit(s) by anyone at the console. Trying to parse its way into an EOF return that should happen automatically rather than being enforced by user.
3) Ultimately, the VCard isn't up to par (Driver, Physical) or is on the brink of extinction.
4) Sadly, some OS system wide "Flaws" introduced by an eternal amount of different events in daily PC usage.

There's a few indirect solutions which i've created here for all to use or not.

Then, the FFDSHOW gimmicky combo settings can help a little further if you can grasp what optimal configuration (for *YOUR* PC) must be used.

This thread might get more replies in the Tech Support forum,

Moderator Action: Moved.

given that it's a question about technical issues. (Sorry I can't help; no idea what the problem might be.)

There's no real problem.
The game is loading during the video, so if you disable it, it will just load without showing anything. We only have 3 dozen threads or so about that issue here.

Top Bottom