Do you guys realize how OP Babylon's Bowman is?

I went to war extremely early with the Bowmen. I was playing wide (started hard-building settler on turn 10 and went liberty). I will confess I've only done it once, but I view the result I achieved as being very replicable. Again, the bowman is essentially same strength as a chariot archer (which is highly valuable early-game unit in MP) at 2/3 hammer cost. It is hardly weaker than the comp bow and at a fraction of those hammers as well. I took four capitals before turn 100.
OK, it's obvious at this point that I'm pretty well versed in SP-deity but quite novice in the MP arena. But having a few MP games under my belt, this strategy seems conceivably effective but definitely risky. My understanding, limited as it may be, is that MP DoW's are based on opportunities presented by either A.) dominant status versus a neighbor or B.) observing an opportunistic moment/fault in movement or strategy of an opponent. Babylon is a such a god-tier civ; it allows dominant status to occur nearly every game, even against opponents that are better than you are. By allocating resources to the bowman strategy instead of infrastructure, it may sacrifice a "definite" dominant position in the future for a "possible" advancement now.

I guess another hang-up that I have is that most MP circles require random civ selection, and rolling Babylon, more than any other civ except maybe equal to Poland, is a rare opportunity to excel more than I usually do. As such, I tend to play safer as Babylon, then I would as, say, Iroquois, where it's more or less a throw-away game and I'll try anything for poops and giggles.

You're right in that with any type of game, allocating resources to unit-building comes at the expense of infrastructure, but Babylon has less of a need to amass large pop early in because of the huge science headstart they achieve. Furthermore I took a scientist after finishing Liberty as well and didn't wait long to get my NC out so it was going to be awhile before anyone caught up to me in science, if ever.

Either way long story short is that Babylon is OP (as if that needed to be said) but the Bowman can be extremely useful in a MP early-rush context.

Top Bottom