Civ Ideas & Suggestions Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread

Camikaze

Administrator
Administrator
This is a moderator approved thread for the posting of any ideas and suggestions that are not worth their own thread (as the name would suggest). If you have a relatively small idea, or a collection of relatively small ideas, it would be beneficial for the sake of forum organisation to post it here. They'll probably get more attention here than they otherwise would, and the forum will be much more easy to browse.

"I would like this new button", "It would be cool if this particular unit did slightly more damage" and "Why not include this wonder in the game?" might be good examples of ideas that would perhaps be best posted here.

So, what are some cool ideas or suggestions you have for the next instalment of Civ, whether it be an expansion pack or a new game?

well.. i woudl liek Byzantium in the game, with these ideas:

civ: Byzantine Empire
leader: Basil II
Unique ability: Walls of Constantinople. all pre gunpowder Defensive Buildings have 50% more defense.
Unique Unit: cataphract.
Unique Building: Hippodrome.

1. Units have very little variance and combat is VERY simplistic..why? Because there are only 2 variables to play with - move and combat strength. HP is defaulted to 10HP and as far as I can see, it cannot be changed. Why so simplistic...lack of variables means less diversity.

I'd propose splitting the Combat Strength into attack strength and defense strength AND being able to override default HP in the XML. Maybe even add armor. That would add more varriance.

2. The messengers from the diplomacy mod. Great idea. This should be in the default game

3. More different units/structures for all civs.

4. Faster production, slower research.

5. One a player has enetered a new age, all other players should get a reserach bonus to "old" techs. News and technolgoy travel. This will make sure that you will have to work hard to mantain a technology gap, and will help avoid the "tank vs. spearman" scenarios.

I'd like Civ 5 to have the keyboard shortcut 'w' for a unit to wait for orders, like in Civ 4

Again like Civ 4, when I select the auto end turn, if I haven't moved a unit/done anything I'd like the game to wait for to end my turn/click next turn. In case I want to do non-unit related things like trade negotiations.

In the Economic overview screen it'd be nice to see what resource each city wants for "We love the king day"

As well as in the Military overview screen, I'd like to be able to highlight and go to a specific unit in the list and/or right click the name and have the button options displayed so I can wake/upgrade/fortify etc from the list.

Thought of another issue.

In Civ 4, I could select a unit say warrior and hold down 'alt' (or maybe ctrl) then select a command, typically upgrade/fortify/wake up and have all units of that type (that are able) do that action. I haven't figured out if this is possible in Civ 5. Which would be nice, since with the current system, scrolling through or finding a specific unit is annoying.

Some balance changes I would like to see:

Raise tile yields to give more variety to terrain (make resources more significant) - raise cost of everything proportionately so that costs are not affected in relative terms by this change. This will make the terrain more significant when choosing city location.

Reverse the trend for each new level of building to be less effective and more expensive than the last. A University should be more effective than a library. This will encourage vertical rather than horizontal growth.

Introduce a new hospital type building earlier in the tech tree to encourage vertical growth also.

Technologies to become progressively more expensive the further along the tree they are, giving more value to late game units and buildings etc.

A nerf to great scientists (perhaps based on bulbs providing fixed beaker count rather than whole technologies) and a boost to all other great people (excluding great generals).

City states to be more expensive to maintain (in combination with a smarter AI which appreciates the tremendous value of city state allies and prioritises them more - rather than simply allowing the player to control them all virtually uncontested and randomly killing them off).

Increased gold cost to purchase hammers and a nerf to social policies and wonders etc that reduce purchase costs.

Oh and what is the deal with the Tank unit? :crazyeye:

A little set of color-coded buttons on the main screen for emphasizing food, production, etc. would be convenient.

So, while I wait for a nice patch to fix Civ 5, I was wondering what do you think they should add in a future expansion. What I want is:

> Airport building (for trading especially but also for "Airlift option", which has been removed from Civ :confused:)

> Modern Carrier (it's something I always wanted in Civ; we shouldn't have to use WW2 Carrier in Future Era wars tbh ... Modern Carrier should have +1 speed and +1 airplane carried and it could look like Nimitz class)

> Corporations (I miss Sid's Sushi :p ... I really liked the corporation part from Civ 4 and since gold is much more important in Civ 5 and strategic resources are fewer -on standard setting-, this can be even more interesting now)

> Extended Tech Tree (I really think you get some techs too fast... for exemple, you research the tech that gives Fighters now, and in few turns you can already research the one that gives Jet Fighters; also I'd like to see you actually need Rifling for Infantry and Robotics for GDR)

> More Civilizations

> Victory Videos (maybe not a critical part of Civ but still, you want some kind of reward when you manage to get a victory; a nice Video for each type of victory will do...)

Wouldn't it be wonderful if after that one great game, where you battled your opponents for 4 hours straight, to be able to show off in front of your buddies?

Why doesn't Civ5 have a replay option similar to W3?

-By clicking on the corner of every window, we could resize it. Many are too big now, both in main view and city-screen, it's hard to see what's going on on the map.

-In the city-screen buildings are displayed by alphabetical order when a logical order like library->university->public school would be easier to the eye.

Just thought of another one:
Walls and/or castles giving +1 happines. People like feeling safe and protected.
It could also add culture in the late-game. Cities with medieval walls or castles today wouldn't take them down at any price.

I think that there needs to be a new tab in the Diplomacy screen that I can click on to view the Social Policies of other civilizations. Right now, its mostly guesswork.

Oh, and victory movies. I never watched Wonder Movies so I didn't mind those got ax'd but I loved the victory videos except the Diplo victory so it would be nice to see those again.

So now we can peek inside puppets, why don't we get one more step and be allowed to purchase buildings inside puppets. I meant, what's the harm? Puppets should be grateful we give them buildings. Geez, I have over 400 GPT and running tight schedule of reaching culture victory with over 1200+ culture/turn and just realize I can be faster IF I CAN BUY BUILDINGS INSIDE PUPPETS!

Just a thought, really.

Moderator Action: Threads merged.

I think that there needs to be a new tab in the Diplomacy screen that I can click on to view the Social Policies of other civilizations. Right now, its mostly guesswork.

There is a little more information now with the patch (I think it wasn't before). You can see how many policies they have in each tree.

The movie gets annoying after the xth time so a lot of folks have turned it off. Yet what you get is a black screen. This is just as bad - can we just get a simple lead bar or screen - at least just to tell us whether or not CiV has crashed. :lol:

Secondly, can we please lose that ESRB pop up. It makes me feel as if I am 5 years old - gee I maybe i need to clear this up with dad before I play. ONCE is enough!

Rat

Moderator Action: Threads merged

Top Bottom