Question on gold making

Minicoys

Chieftain
So i started a game w/ 4 civs & 10 city states on King. I generally play few Civilizations in most of my games, i just dont like a lot of Civs. I like expanding, etc. I do play w/ raging barbarians to compensate.

Anyway, am playing BNW and I am having a devil of a time making gold. I have no outside trade routes, only internal. The other civ on my continent is way, way far away and i've yet to find any city states (am playing continents + i believe).

Any tips on making gold in BNW? Its around 100 AD, my tech is advancing, but I am running a 25G deficit. Am trying to connect roads to all my cities (still need to connect 3 more out of 7 cities). But i am deathly afraid of making more buildings without a source of income growing.

I am running around killing off the barbarians though to keep my stocked w/ gold, but it seems as if I will eventually lose ground that way.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Early gold is meant to rely on trade routes... Other options include

1. Work luxury tiles (don't even need to improve them...although it helps)
2. Sell excess luxuries through diplomacy

3. Get monarchy

4. Build roads (requires high pop, close cities to pay off)

Like KrikkitTwo said, trade routes are key, but what most people haven't noted yet is how important that makes exploring. Having two scouts out early can make a big difference. Also, if you can get access to sea trade routes early on, they can help a lot. Again, naval exploration is key here. The farther away the city you're trading with, the greater the amount of gold.

Thanks for the answers. Well its the first play through so we'll see what happens. I have spotted 2 city states though, but I dont have adequate naval techs yet, nor are my cities close enough. Gonna be my goal to make trade routes w/ them. Am now losing about 40G/turn. My workers are still making city connections, but those are about 20 turns away. Thank god I have about 1K gold stocked up. Only thing keeping me a float is the fact am playing whackamole w/ the barbarians.

I'll look into the new social policies (couple I spotted in Commerce tree) but i wonder how frequent the upgrades are now, if in BNW you can get more social policies due to the change in culture victories.

Thanks for the answers. Well its the first play through so we'll see what happens. I have spotted 2 city states though, but I dont have adequate naval techs yet, nor are my cities close enough. Gonna be my goal to make trade routes w/ them.

You're welcome, of course. Keep in mind that the caravansary (for land routes) and harbor (for ocean routes) increase the range and gold yield of trade routes, so you should put those in the city where the trade route is originating from. :goodjob:

You're welcome, of course. Keep in mind that the caravansary (for land routes) and harbor (for ocean routes) increase the range and gold yield of trade routes, so you should put those in the city where the trade route is originating from. :goodjob:

yeah i saw those. Due to teh fact that I am in a holding pattern in terms of making real buildings or units i am currently making walls & that caravansary...so quite a few places will have it...eventually. Just very, very dicey right now. Really cant expand, cant get a good tech roll going or build hte other infrastructures, and i have to have the units i have currently to keep the barbarians at bay.

Play shoshone, pop early huts for faith/culture, take piety, build shrines and temples, found a religion, take church property or tithe, build Borobudur, spread to distant cities, enhance take itinerant preachers, build canvassaries. By turn 150 I was netting 100 gpt of which 50 gpt is from religion and I just discovered the other continent.

Top Bottom