Standing vs Drafted Army

JoeyB98

King of Ohio
Introduction
Before I begin I must remind everyone that this article is, indeed, about Civilization. I apologize in advance (having at this time not written the article yet) that I tend to go off on tangents in such matters.

This thread may seem a waste of time, after all, who can raise an army only with drafts, especially before Nationhood? However, the word "Draft"" in the title is misleading when placed into Civ terms, after all, this strategy is an import from the excellent game Hearts of Iron, which I recommend to the highest degree.

Just branched off. Sorry.

Regardless, the distinction in simple terms is this: a standing army is an army kept for defense, ready for battle, at all times, and a drafted army is ANY army that is not kept ready to fight at all times, regardless of source. Before I continue, yes, a small standing army IS necessary no matter what you choose, as your cities must be defended from barbs and the hated "We fear for our safety" sad face.

After playing both strategies in near-experimental conditions, I was unable to find that one was actually better that the other. So, this guide will seek only to provide you with some of the information that I found, in a dramatized and non-sequiter format.

Let's begin.

Standing Army
I start with this because it is the strategy most commonly used in Civ - you always keep a large force of military units ready to stop a potential invader. Granted, military production goes up in wartime, but at least some cities can continue with domestic production.

This is undoubtedly the "safer" choice, as will be explained later.

Why use a standing army? For one, you are always ready to defend yourself. You have one hand on your sword at all times, ready to defend yourself if need be. You can better plan with a standing army, building forts and roads for military purposes.

Here is the promised dramatization from my test game.

1830 AD. Aztec forces cross the border into America, violating the earlier Treaty of Tenochtitlan. They are immediately engaged by American infantry divisions stationed at the border in case of this very event. The war quickly grinds into a stalemate. The Aztec offense is dulled, but the Americans cannot launch a successful counteroffensive. On the home front, many are unset by the war, but life continues. Public buildings continue to be constructed, and only a few new armies are sent down to combat the Aztec forces. After years of little movement on the front, a white peace is signed. America is safe and continues ahead in the domestic and tech games, but still has a deadly enemy to its south who will likely violate this treaty as it did the last...

So a standing army lead to a stalemate. America continued to stay stable in the tech and economic games, but is still threatened.

Drafted Army
This strategy is much more risky, because it relies on a huge and sudden change of economic gears, and failure to do so can lead to immense peril for your nation. In this strategy, you keep only the bare minimum of troops needed to garrison each city.

Why use a drafted army? This is a tough question. You are really betting that you can get an army together as soon as you are attacked. It also carries some direct benefits: you don't waste shields putting an army together, and you don't waste money supplying an army you don't need.

Here's the dramatization of my DA test game:
1830 AD. Aztec forces cross the border into America, violating the earlier Treaty of Tenochtitlan. The purely economic border guards surrender without sending out a warning. The enemy is miles in before anyone know about it. When word reaches the capital, the great gears of America's economy shift. The giant is awake, and it is angry. City after city fall to the onslaught and battle after battle is lost. But then the first run of soldiers is deployed to the front and they are more than prepared to give everything to defend their Motherland...

Link to video.
Nope. Couldn't resist it.

The Aztec forces seem to hit a brick wall. Their advance stops near St. Louis and never recovers. Inch by inch, the Americans push the accursed invader out of their homeland and takes the fight to Mexico, and eventually to the capitol itself. The Aztecs surrender and is annexed to the new American Empire.

America is now way behind the old world technologically, and is still geared to a war economy. But now they are unthreatened, the sole regional superpower. Great things are in their future.

A drafted army leads (in my experience) to complete destruction of the enemy, at the cost of time, land, and economic and technological standing.

Conclusion
You might from my example conclude the Drafted Army to be much better, but I crushed the Aztecs in the next war in the SA game once I had nukes, and then was the world's only superpower. In the DA game, while I was a regional power, I was WAY behind technologically. So really, it depends on the situation. Use DA if you can afford to trade land for time. Use SA if you can't. It's really that simple.

Didn't get too much off topic there except for the HOI stuff.

The soviet song was totally relevant.

So what happens to your drafted army after you win the war? Does it remain as a standing army or do you disband it?

So what happens to your drafted army after you win the war? Does it remain as a standing army or do you disband it?

This strategy usually ends in most of them dead anyway by the end of it, because they're low-experience, drafted or whipped. If I can afford them, I transfer to SA after a big DA war.

I think that having a very small standing army is generally a Very Bad Idea because your low military power rating will entice other civs to plot against you. Monty, for example, will leave you alone if your power rating vs. his is sufficiently high (1.2-1.4ish?) whereas if your power rating is quite low vs. any warmongers (0.7ish or below) they will start plotting war against you almost immediately.

tl;dr: standing armies deter wars against you, which is very valuable.

Intelligently-distributed standing armies don't deter wars unless they're already so strong that you should be fighting an offensive war (a 1.0 power rating vs. the AI means you're golden to stomp all over them generally). Upkeep is a pain, and making them deters you from making other stuff that will pay off faster if you aren't planning on using the army any time soon.

Keep the minimum army you need for garrisons and barb defense, plus possibly produce a steady stream of units out of your Heroic Epic city. Keep track of AI relations, know AI personalities, keep an eye on AI border cities, and keep track of who is in WHEOOHRN mode already to get advanced warning of almost all DoWs. If need be, swap to Slavery and/or Nationalism, depopulate your empire to make an army fast, and fight a delaying action on the frontier until your new force can get there. Don't be afraid to take a modestly unfavorable peace deal if you need another dozen turns before you'll be ready to crush your enemy.

It's very rare for a skilled player to have more than 1-2 military units per city when they aren't planning a war in the reasonably near future.

I think that having a very small standing army is generally a Very Bad Idea because your low military power rating will entice other civs to plot against you. Monty, for example, will leave you alone if your power rating vs. his is sufficiently high (1.2-1.4ish?) whereas if your power rating is quite low vs. any warmongers (0.7ish or below) they will start plotting war against you almost immediately.

tl;dr: standing armies deter wars against you, which is very valuable.

If you want war with your neighbors but don't want to be the one to DoW to avoid dip negatives, a tiny-weeny army may be the way to go.

You never want to rely on the AI DoW'ing you. If that happens, they'll generally go into We Have Enough On Our Hands Right Now (WHEOOHRN) mode first, at which point they will build their military up to a significantly larger size and concentrate it on your border before attacking... which will make your war with them far bloodier than it should have been. They also may bribe other civs to join the war with you immediately, before you get a turn. All told, an AI DoW on you is a much grimmer situation than you DoW'ing the AI. Plus the diplo. penalties really aren't that big. Maybe if it was a -4 or -5 penalty it would be worth considering in some situations, but for a -1? Don't worry about it.

The reason for a large army isn't to avoid AI DoWs. The reason for a small army isn't to encourage AI DoWs. You keep a small army generally. You get a large army when you're planning an attack very soon, or have reason to believe the AI is about to attack you.

Note you if you try to get a 1.2 power ratio over Monty, you will lose. Because it will divert so many hammers from expansion and infrastructure that you will be economically behind and lose in the long run.

There's no point. Become Monty's friend, sic him on someone else. Otherwise, set up a nice defensible frontier against Monty, stuff that city with a half dozen archers and longbows to absorb early doomstacks, clear out later doomstacks with collateral and higher tech units.

Note that if you're playing MP, you'll mostly want to have a "drafted army" if you want to keep competitive economically. Be warned, if going down this path, be extremely proactive with scouting and espionage. The moment someone starts mobilising, you must respond appropriately.

On the flip side, if you go for a "standing army" strategy, then you must make use of your relative economic disadvantage by using it to punish someone who fails to respond appropriately.

Note you if you try to get a 1.2 power ratio over Monty, you will lose. Because it will divert so many hammers from expansion and infrastructure that you will be economically behind and lose in the long run.

There's no point. Become Monty's friend, sic him on someone else. Otherwise, set up a nice defensible frontier against Monty, stuff that city with a half dozen archers and longbows to absorb early doomstacks, clear out later doomstacks with collateral and higher tech units.

Note that if you're playing MP, you'll mostly want to have a "drafted army" if you want to keep competitive economically. Be warned, if going down this path, be extremely proactive with scouting and espionage. The moment someone starts mobilising, you must respond appropriately.

On the flip side, if you go for a "standing army" strategy, then you must make use of your relative economic disadvantage by using it to punish someone who fails to respond appropriately.

Just played a game where I used two early cities to keep Monty in Mexico. Went pretty well, as did the inevitable war. Tenochititlan is in a really productive spot, so it was hard to hold the line, but I had all of the rest of North America.

Impressive. I always go for SA though, seeing as I prefer to be way ahead technologically. One of my favorite tips is to lower your science bar to NIL for a few turns to get 700+ gold to upgrade units with. I can get over 900 gold in a single turn when I exploit civics and gold-giving resources.

I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make. If you’re attacked by an AI that could be a threat (so, discounting attacks from 5-city runts in the 1600s when you have 15+ cities), you should immediately shift to a war footing, regardless of whether you have a lot of existing military units, or a few. The alternative is either losing the game, or a longer war (which can sometimes also mean losing the game, and if nothing else, costs you in war weariness, diverted economic efforts, etc). Your object in a war should be to achieve your goals (conquest, vassalization, taking a key AI city, or peace with no lost territory) as soon as possible. If that means whipping/drafting units, do so. Don’t let the AI have too much “War Success”; that just makes it harder to make a favourable peace with them.

No offense, but your scenarios look more like role-plays than they do a strategy guide. Practically speaking, it’s very hard to recover when an attacking AI gets “miles in before anyone knows about it”. Losing multiple cities is usually crippling. I can’t imagine choosing to not build units and leaving myself with a lower strength ratio than, say, 0.6, when facing Montezuma after already being at war with him once (the war that ended with the “Treaty of Tenochtitlan”).

In short: Having a small standing army is an option when you are good at diplomacy, but if you’re not, it can be a disaster.

Top Bottom