How powerful will Venice be?

well there is also
free MoV instead of free settler policy
free MoV for Liberty finisher

[finally buying MoV with faith accumulated]

So Venice can do an early "REX" to set up for a later "REX" with Banks and Stock Exchanges.

I'll believe the AI is capable of this, when I see it. :D

Oh I know Venice is good for humans, I thought we were talking about their power in the hands of the AI.

That is because you have selected a huge map.
40 gold is nothing. You should be able to get 150-200+ gold per turn (don't need puppets) by the Ideology era.

You're right, but marathon is a bit slow especially on a huge map where it is hard to get early trade routes and esp. when building those cargo ships takes forever early game.

I played a bit longer and got 12 trade routes up. 500 gold per turn profit with 7 cities total by 1300 AD.

I just played my first BNW game (Brazil, Prince, Quick) with Venice as an AI and they completely dominated from the start to finish of the game. They only took over one city-state for most of the early game, but their military was also constantly engaged with other Civs. They were too far away from me and I didn't want to mess with them, but they were friendly throughout the game and often traded. Their tourism influenced 2 other civs. Attached are pictures of endgame demographics and diplomacy overview. Look at the wonders! I think they AI is pretty competent to be able to dominate through military, science, wealth, culture, tourism all at the same time. Any other players have similar experiences with AI Venice?

Demographics
Diplomacy Overview

Golden Ages on turn 29, 69, 115, 157. How could they build so many so fast? :O
Timeline

Venice tanked in the only game I've seen them in, so far.

Around T+200 and they had two cities... Venice, and Zurich. And to the best of my knowledge, no one had conquered any CSs they had puppet-ed.

As chazzycat pointed out, I'm not really sure the AI can be tailored quite well enough to Venice's unique possibilities and limits.

As for human players, between Venice and Austria, I'd probably pick Austria. Human players can use Venice quite well, but after having finally played BNW a bit and seen just how easily disrupted trade-routes can be if someone is intent on disrupting them, I just am starting to think that Venice may suffer in multiplayer because they will struggle to actually keep the large number of trade-routes they get from getting plundered.

Overall, Venice works best as a human-played civ against AIs, which is the normal scenario for many folks, so I see Venice as being top-tier in single-player, but maybe just mediocre in multiplay.

Top Bottom