I find your lack of gold disturbing,

gcrockwood

Chieftain
Am I the only one that never realized how awesome water tiles were until they no longer gave money? Hooooooly crap, I'm actually going bankrupt. I've never had that happen before. Interesting! :mischief:

The trade routes seems pretty interesting so far. Already lost one to a barb (that city state thirty tiles from your capital, covered in FOW isn't a prime route without protection...) but I'm very glad they're automated, although slightly ******ed when they choose paths to the area to trade (Although this might increase the 'length' of the trade route and improve returns).

Needless to say, I'm going to lose this king game I'm playing, but still having a blast. :D

I have no idea what you're talking about. <-- Obvious Portugal Player.
Seriously, I'm making great amounts of gold with Portugal. Their unique ability really lets you reel in as much coin as possible. :)

Do you usually play on king? I win on king for the most part, if by narrow margins. Is BNW hard enough that I should go down to prince for a game?

I went down from King to prince when G&K came out, and it helped me adjust. I'm thinking I'll do the same for BNW.

Portugal is handling this gold problem pretty well. :D

I've noticed some aggressive focus on religion. Maybe my unknown opponents are Boudicca and Hailie, but it seems like everyone is setting their phasers to religion.

I'm seeing the opposite. It took until the Classical era for anyone but me to get a Pantheon, and I snatched up Desert Folklore, so I got first dibs on religion despite playing Assyria, not really a religion-heavy civ. I might have just wound up in a game with neither Boudica, Haile, or Theodora.

I went down from King to prince when G&K came out, and it helped me adjust. I'm thinking I'll do the same for BNW.

I always go down a difficulty level when a new expansion comes out, or any mayor changes to the game (like the goldbuying change to the AI).
Went down from Deity to immortal.

Oh and to the OP, you can just settle those 1 tile isles, even on pangaea it should be relatively easy to find.
As long as you do not care about cities to get 2 luxuries, should be quite easy to get.

Me and my friends are playing a 3 way hot seat game on King. I'm France, my friends are Austria and Brazil and holy balls does Brazil's start bias not take kindly to trade routes. He's last in score and has been in deficit for quite a while. Also the Barbarians are much more intelligent, they have a wider unit diversity and attack in quantities. Also when they pillage a caravan they GAIN a Horseman unit.

I wonder... since gold is so much harder to come by, I'm assuming religion (with its relatively many beliefs that grant gold in some form) and the Honor finisher are very strong now? Or have they been nerfed?

Early military invasions now definitely require more economic preparation. Just having a 4 or 5 unit strong attack force contributed to my -8 gold per turn early on in the game. No matter; when trade routes kick in it's smooth sailing.

Once you get some trade routes going you'll be swimming in cash, I have more money than I know what to do with as Morocco.

I played briefly with the Shoshone. The lack of terrain gold definitely put a crimp on my early game. I'm going to have to hold one of my units back from exploration to protect a caravan, and hold off on more unit/building production until I have the money to pay for unit maintenance.

I am playing as Venice on king. I have 500 gpt in profit now at ~1400 AD, and I have 7 developed cities, so most of the money goes to making sure Venice never builds something other than a wonder and city states.

Arabia is still pretty OP in the gold arena. Even with the luxury-baiting gone, being able to dupe and trade for GPT, all while getting capital-to-capital caravan$ up early (fishing + AH).. camel archers to barb hunt, lots of early gold. I need to try the new civs!

Unless you are playing a designated money civ (Morocco, Carthage, Arabia, Portugal, etcetera) it is noticeable how little income you have, at least until medieval/renaissance.

But in my opinion, once you hit about 5 active trade routes, it starts paying off in ways G&K just couldn't.

Once you get some trade routes going you'll be swimming in cash, I have more money than I know what to do with as Morocco.

Seriously this. I'm getting around 300 per turn around Turn 276 as Morocco, and I hardly understand how to optimize. Didn't have much of a problem with money as the Shoshone last night, either. Not anything near what I'm making this game, but still enough to be comfortable.

I'm having a bit of gold shock in my first game too. Now that I've got all of my trade routes going thought (I built the Colossus so I currently have 4) I'm doing much better :D

Would've happened sooner but my first trade route was pillaged almost immediately :(

Probably it is to early to propose rebalancing... however, might it be a good idea to make upkeep for late area buildings more expensive to compensate the gold overflow?

I think, this could be quite reasonable, as it reflects the real world quite nicely (High-Tech societies are expensive to sustain) and fits the issue: Early game, money is sparse, but later on, ther is too much of it in the game?

Top Bottom