Better BAT AI

Than you for getting back to me! I downloaded and used an installer with 2.1 in its name three days ago. The readme says it is version 2.1 too. Of course I have BtS version 3.1.9.0...

Quill18 plays civ IV with the BBATAI mod in a recent YouTube video (from two months ago), as Egypt, and he has the same bug in his game, although he doesn't commented on it, as far as I have seen.

It also says:
- The BUG Mod 4.5 (The new build, which has not been released yet. The code was taken from the BUG SVN commit 2245)
- BULL 1.4 (The BAT version, 1.6, with the 1.7 UP merged in. Perhaps I should call this DLL "BALL"?)

Attachments

• Bugged horse.png
    Bugged horse.png
    68.2 KB · Views: 459
I must have a wild build out there. My copy is 2.1 and does not have that problem. I know I fixed it, because it used to be a problem and was caused by something in the interface not lining up properly.

I'll check the build at SourceForge and make sure it is correct.

Well, I uninstalled the mod, and redownloaded it and reinstalled it. The issue seems to be resolved, somehow. This time I installed it as a mod, if that makes any difference. anyway, thanks for a grat mod!

Glad you got it fixed. :)

Planning on it. :)

I have a question - I noticed that in Better BAT AI my injured units show only full numbers in lower left panel - for example injured archer with 2.4 health will show as "2" there, not as "2.4" as it always was (at least to me, because I was playing only various mods for last few years). It's completely new to me so I assumed there's some sort of a new option in BUG to show it that way but I looked for a long time and haven't found anything related. Is this working as intended? And how can I change it?

It appears to be not working as intended. I have to fix that and a few other things. I'm on them, it just may take some time, unfortunately. :(

No problem, it's not a game breaking issue ;) Oh, and will MEE be compatible with nonMEE saves? I'm having a great game right now and since I play on slowed even more marathon it will take me some time to reach late industrial era - and it'd be great to play nonMEE, then install MEE and continue.

What is MEE?

While working on converting Next War to Better BAT AI, I notice that the autolog.ini has its file path hard coded. BUG allows you to make it more dynamic by allowing you to get most of the path from the mod eg BugPath.getModDir() + "\Autolog". Yes I know it is used and displayed in the BUG screen (and saved in the ini file from there I assume) so will be "hard coded" eventually but it might be good to have it null to start with to stop the message coming up about invalid path or drive because Civ was installed on a different drive and path to the one that the builders of Better BAT AI use.

What is MEE?
The Modern Era Expansion Pack. Adds new units in the Modern Era

While working on converting Next War to Better BAT AI, I notice that the autolog.ini has its file path hard coded. BUG allows you to make it more dynamic by allowing you to get most of the path from the mod eg BugPath.getModDir() + "\Autolog". Yes I know it is used and displayed in the BUG screen (and saved in the ini file from there I assume) so will be "hard coded" eventually but it might be good to have it null to start with to stop the message coming up about invalid path or drive because Civ was installed on a different drive and path to the one that the builders of Better BAT AI use.
Thanks. I'll look into it for the upcoming patch.

I have a question - I noticed that in Better BAT AI my injured units show only full numbers in lower left panel - for example injured archer with 2.4 health will show as "2" there, not as "2.4" as it always was (at least to me, because I was playing only various mods for last few years). It's completely new to me so I assumed there's some sort of a new option in BUG to show it that way but I looked for a long time and haven't found anything related. Is this working as intended? And how can I change it?

Hi. Can you hover over your flag and give me the mod information there? I tried looking at an injured unit and I saw the fractional point (actually, I saw "7.6/..." instead of "7.6/8" Not sure if that is still a bug or if it's something in the game engine. I'll keep looking into it though.

Well, the good news is that I understand the problem now, and I am able to fix it. I'm putting it into a patch with other things, but until it's released, here's how you can fix it:

Using something like Notepad++ (brilliant program for Python and XML editing), locate line 4342 in the ...\assets\Python\Screens\CvMainInterface.py file in the Better BAT AI folder. You will see three lines of code right after the comment "## Platy Unit Display ##" See the numbers in the right side of the lines? They are 115, 75, and 10. They should be changed to 95, 75, and 80, like this in red:

Code:
4342	screen.setTableColumnHeader( "SelectedUnitText", 0, u"", [COLOR="Red"]95[/COLOR] )  # changed from 115 to 95 to improve formatting
4343	screen.setTableColumnHeader( "SelectedUnitText", 1, u"", [COLOR="Red"]75[/COLOR] )  
4344	screen.setTableColumnHeader( "SelectedUnitText", 2, u"", [COLOR="Red"]80[/COLOR] )  # Changed to 80 from 10 so it formats right.

Save the file and load BBATAI again. Your units should display proper stats now.

Any troubles, just post back. :)

I downloaded the Better BAT AI v 2.1 Installer from Sourceforge, and tried installing it, but whenever I do, I'm getting an error message that the installer can't find a BtS registry key or that BtS isn't patched to 3.19. I've got the Steam version of BtS installed, so neither of those errors is true. Can I just ignore the error, or will this cause issues with the mod?

I downloaded the Better BAT AI v 2.1 Installer from Sourceforge, and tried installing it, but whenever I do, I'm getting an error message that the installer can't find a BtS registry key or that BtS isn't patched to 3.19. I've got the Steam version of BtS installed, so neither of those errors is true. Can I just ignore the error, or will this cause issues with the mod?
Unfortunately, you can't ignore the error. BBATAI will not install in that case because it can't find your Steam install. The workaround for this is to download the Better BAT AI.zip file at SourceForge and unzip it to your BTS Mods folder. It does the same thing, it's just not as convenient as the installer.

The reason this happens is that I don't have a Steam based BTS, and therefore I can't write an installer for Steam based games. I've thought about buying Civ4 BTS on Steam, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Unfortunately, you can't ignore the error. BBATAI will not install in that case because it can't find your Steam install. The workaround for this is to download the Better BAT AI.zip file at SourceForge and unzip it to your BTS Mods folder. It does the same thing, it's just not as convenient as the installer´.

Alright, that worked, thanks.

I have some bugs to report.

The pictures for the Modern and Future eras are missing. In their place, there is only a blank space:

The Incan Renaissance/Industrial fort lacks textures at its base, making it appear green:

The Burger King occasionally seems to think that he is in a diplomatic meeting with himself:

There's a formatting error in least one of Genghis Khan's historical quotations:

I'd also like to report a few things that look like, but may not be, bugs.

Civs that use Middle-Eastern architecture such as Arabia, Sumeria, and Egypt will build European-style castles while still using Middle-Eastern walls:

Since I have never seen a Middle-Eastern castle, I'm not sure whether they actually exist. It may or may not have been the intention for European and Middle-Eastern civs to share castle architecture.

A lot of non-American civs (e.g. the Incas) use the White House as the Modern era Palace, complete with the Stars and Stripes hanging by off the flagpole. If this isn't a bug, I would like to make the suggestion that the White House be either exclusive to the Americans or remove the Stars and Stripes.

The Incan lighthouse appears to be nothing more than a big stone block:

Compared to, say, the Egyptian lighthouse, it doesn't look very functional at all, and I wonder if perhaps the stone block was assigned as a lighthouse in error:

Finally, I'd like to make a couple of suggestions.

The walls of some civs like Inca and Zulu are turned into barbed wire in the Modern era, while the majority of other civs get to keep their stone walls intact:

I feel that this is unfair and inconsistent treatment because the barbed wire is so much uglier than the stone walls, whose only purpose in the late game is to make your cities look nice and historical. It is also unrealistic, in that I have never heard of a city tearing down ancient walls and putting barbed wire in their place. Can you imagine what would happen if they tried this in Istanbul or Jerusalem?

Wonders, especially in big cities, are too prone to being swallowed up by the other city buildings as the game progresses. Some big wonders like the Three Gorges Dam usually doesn't make a visual appearance at all at any point in the game. If possible, the cities should prioritize wonders and player-built buildings over stock buildings that the city generates on its own.

@TheNoseKnows:

Thanks for the incredibly detailed bug report, A few of these things I probably won't be able to fix, but I'll address as many of them as I can. :)

Hey in case anybody wants to remove female units, both from sevopedia and from gameplay, here are the steps.
  • Remove the module folder of female units
  • Prevent loading of female units from init.xml by removing the line of them loading.
  • Remove all .py files that reflect the female unit loading
  • From Assets/xml/unit folder, remove unit class folder and unit info just in case, and add unit info file from Varietas delectat (provided for convenience)
  • In the Assets/python/contrib/sevopedia folder, replace the SevoPediaUnit.py file with the one from Varietas delectat (uploaded here for convenience, change txt to py)

Attachments

• SevoPediaUnit.txt
    12.4 KB · Views: 177
  • CIV4UnitInfos.xml
    771.9 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Top Bottom