pediaMainScreen = None
bUsingSevopedia = False
if (BugScreens.isSevopedia()):
    import SevoPediaMain
    import SevoPediaHistory
    global pediaMainScreen
    global bUsingSevopedia
    bUsingSevopedia = True
    pediaMainScreen = SevoPediaMain.SevoPediaMain()
else:
    import CvPediaMain
    import CvPediaHistory
    global pediaMainScreen
    pediaMainScreen = CvPediaMain.CvPediaMain()

I don't see how that could fail even if you didn't get all the new files. In any case, make sure you got and copied the new Contrib/Sevopedia folder and that all the CvPediaXXX.py files and CvScreenEnums.py are deleted from Screens.

Did you do a manual merge? Make sure you get the changed options and tab and the INI too.

I think the problem is that it's trying to write the INI file but cannot because the folder is invalid. Try this:

1. Go into your Mods folder where you installed BUG and drill down to Assets/Python/Contrib
  2. Open CvModName.py
  3. Change "BUG Mod" to match the name of the folder in your Mods folder.

Try that and report back please.

After some hours of testing, hair-pulling, and falling asleep over my keyboard, I finally found that I had made a rather stupid mistake to begin with (probably due to being way too tired).

The results of my tests is as follows:

- BUG mod works fine in all three places I tested (1. CustomAssets, 2. My Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\Mods, 3. game install directory (F:\Games\Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods), as long as the file "BUG mod.ini" resides in My Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword. It does not matter how the folder the mod is placed in is called, "MyCollection" works as well as "BUG".

- As soom as "BUG mod.ini" is renamed or placed anywhere else, the mod malfunctions (as can be expected).

In my initial attempts to combine BUG with my personal mod collection, I simply misplaced "BUG mod.ini".

This means that the fix you suggested is not necessary. Sorry for sending you on a hunt to fix a bug that only appeared due to a stupid mistake of mine during installation. :(

The good news is that I now do have the mod where I want it, it works and it plays well together with the other mods in my combo.

I'm very glad it's working for you now, Psyringe. However, I added a fix so it would look in multiple places for the INI. I'm thinking that perhaps it doesn't work when saving the INI to a different place. So kudos to you for blazing new ground and finding a bug! :goodjob:

Code:
import SevoScreenEnums
pediaMainScreen = None
bUsingSevopedia = False
    import SevoPediaMain
    import SevoPediaHistory
    global pediaMainScreen
    global bUsingSevopedia
    bUsingSevopedia = True
else:
    import CvPediaMain
    import CvPediaHistory
    global pediaMainScreen
Well, I think I have copied it all correctly, no manual merges, just and out and out dump to my customassets. That said, I didn't grab the new files last time but I am still getting errors ...

Code:
CvScreensInterface:0: SyntaxWarning: name 'pediaMainScreen' is assigned to before global declaration
ERR: Call function onEvent failed. Can't find module CvEventInterface
CvScreensInterface:0: SyntaxWarning: name 'bUsingSevopedia' is assigned to before global declaration
CvScreensInterface:0: SyntaxWarning: name 'pediaMainScreen' is assigned to before global declaration

Less that last time. And now for a possible dumb question ...

Code:
1: import SevoScreenEnums
2: pediaMainScreen = None
3: bUsingSevopedia = False
4: if (BugScreens.isSevopedia()):
5:     import SevoPediaMain
6:     import SevoPediaHistory
7:     global pediaMainScreen
8:     global bUsingSevopedia

... errrr, aren't you defining pediaMainScreen at line 2 before you are diming it at line 7?

Not a dumb question. Every programming language adds its own little nuances to variables.

1: import SevoScreenEnums
2: pediaMainScreen = None
3: bUsingSevopedia = False
4: if (BugScreens.isSevopedia()):
5: import SevoPediaMain
6: import SevoPediaHistory
7: global pediaMainScreen
8: global bUsingSevopedia
Line 2 declares a new global variable called "pediaMainScreen" and assigns it the special value "None".

Line 7 tells the Python interpreter that when the function ... oh, that code isn't in a function. That's probably the problem. Why it works for me and not you, I dunno, but try removing the global lines (7 and 8 and the two similar lines in the else clause) and see if that works for you.

By my understanding of Python, the global statements here should have zero effect.

To be clearer, here is what that are should look like:

Code:
# BUG - Sevopedia - start

import SevoScreenEnums
	import SevoPediaMain
	import SevoPediaHistory
	bUsingSevopedia = True
else:
	import CvPediaMain
	import CvPediaHistory
	bUsingSevopedia = False

def linkToPedia(argsList):
	pediaMainScreen.link(argsList[0])

re above ... made your suggested changes and had no errors on game start or game load. :goodjob:

Opened Sevopedia in game ... no problem. Deselected sevopedia in options and opened the pedia ... bomb ... missing sevo files. Sounds like something that you have to restart for.

I get a crash between the main menu setup and the actual beginning of a game. The crash dialog window is mentioning some "msvcp71.dll". The dll is not missing.
This happens only when FBUG rev 396 is installed (CustomAssets folder) or when FBUG and BUG are installed. With only BUG 396 installed everything is fine. BtS is 3.13.

Update: tested it with some other revisions down to 372 and still the same problem. Last time that I played successfully with FBUG was under BtS 3.03. Any idea what's wrong with my 3.13 installation?

re above ... made your suggested changes and had no errors on game start or game load. :goodjob:

Great!

Deselected sevopedia in options and opened the pedia ... bomb ... missing sevo files. Sounds like something that you have to restart for.

Like the CDA, you must restart for the change to take effect, however you should be able to continue using whatever you had originally selected -- Sevopedia in your case.

It works fine for me, much as the previous issue. I wonder if we have two different versions of the Python interpreter being used or different versions of the game itself. In any case, can you please post the exception you're getting?

Hi,
I have no Interface. It's like ALT-I. No Advisors. Only ESC works.

Osaft, either some files weren't copied properly, or there is a conflict between our mod and other mods. Backup your CustomAssets directory, and try reinstalling BUG. It will reinstall everything you need to run our MOD. If there was another mod you wanted with this, you'll have to find the conflict and merge it together.

Ludwig II said:
I get a crash between the main menu setup and the actual beginning of a game.
I have the same problem. I installed Civ4-->Warlords-->BTS-->BTS 3.13 Patch-->BTS Unofficial 3.13 Patch 1.07-->Blue Marble-->BUG (SVN)-->BAT (SVN).

I can't start a game -- shortly after it starts loading (after I've gone through all the options), it just dumps me back on the desktop with Windows helpfully telling me it had to close BTS because of an error.

Any idea what's causing this? As soon as I yank BAT and restore my CustomAssets from backup (to just the BUG (SVN) step above), everything works fine.

sounds like there is something batty with BAT

All of the unit pages I view in the Sevopedia have TXT_KEY_ tags visible in the History section. Is this a bug or is there something funky with my installation?

Sheryl

All of the unit pages I view in the Sevopedia have TXT_KEY_ tags visible in the History section.

Are you using any other mods, specifically the Unofficial 3.13 patch (from CFC, not Firaxis) that has a new DLL? I saw the same thing, but I thought it went away when I took out that DLL. I'll double-check. I saw it in the normal Civilopedia, so it shouldn't have anything to do with BUG.

ruff_hi said:
My astute powers of deductive reasoning managed to get that far ;-) Is this a common problem that a lot of people are having, or is there some conflict between BAT and BUG/Blue Marble/Unofficial 3.13 patch? I did this through a fresh install without any deviation, so I can't think of something I might have done to break it.

Hrm. I too have the weird Civilopedia problem described above. The screenshot I'd post would be identical, except that I use Blue Marble so it would be... bluer. I tried what Emperor Fool implied: I switched out the Unofficial 3.13 DLL file, but the problem persists (even after clearing cache).

So it doesn't appear to be Unofficial 3.13, BAT or Blue Marble (since it doesn't look like slgann is using it...?). I have no other mods running, so it looks like it might be a BUG bug. HAH! Am I the first person to have come up with that? No? Oh. ;-)

It's a strange error, since it only affects units as far as I can tell (civilizations and other write-ups in text-block form appear unaffected). Hopefully that will make it easier to pin down?

... and just because I've spent a lot of time whining about bugs, I'll add that BUG is fantastic and what little I've been able to see of BAT looks flat-out incredible. So kudos all round; your hard work is appreciated!

Edited to Add: It did; there are two tags that appear in all units of the Civilopedia (see slgann's pic): TXT_KEY_CIVILOPEDIA_STRATEGY and TXT_KEY_CIVILOPEDIA_BACKGROUND. Both are found in BTS\Assets\XML\Text\CIV4GameText_BTS.xml. They seem to be simple formatting tags that are supposed to be substituted out for a "Strategy:" or "Background:" header and two carriage returns. Instead, the Civilopedia is just posting the tag name. That's about as far as I'm able to get; I've never programmed anything in my life and feel a bit like a sous chef tinkering with a fusion reactor.

I am using Blue Marble but I think I used CivScale to change the color back to the original blue. I'm using the new official patch not the unofficial one. I'm also not using FBUG or any other mod except that I changed a value in GlobalDefines.xml, but that effects the camera and shouldn't have any effect on the infopedia.

Sheryl

No, there is something buggy with BUG.

I've installed the last version from SVN, and I confirm the problem, no interface. If called using the f keys the advisor appear and works (but not all of them properly, the tecnology advisor screen is empty).
So, we have introduced some bug, probably working on the main screen... PLE maybe?

Top Bottom