Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Here are a few questions to add/answer: How can update a savegame using BUG 3.5.1 (installed as a mod) to BUG 3.6? How can I "divorce" my savegame from BUG when used as a mod?

Here are a few questions to add/answer: How can update a savegame using BUG 3.5.1 (installed as a mod) to BUG 3.6? How can I "divorce" my savegame from BUG when used as a mod?

Doing these requires editing the savedgame using a program with a hex editor (e.g. Notepad++). Removing the mod is easy: just delete the mod's name. I haven't tried changing it yet, but it probably requires only changing the name in-place.

Yes, you can install multiple versions of BUG using the mod/multiplayer install method. You can even have them share your settings by moving the BUG Mod folder that holds the help and INI files out to your My Games folder. Make sure you remove the other ones that get installed so they don't get seen instead.

Could you give me a little more detail? For example, I currently have BUG 3.5.1 installed as a mod. So I have My Games/Beyond The Sword/BUG Mod & My Games/Beyond The Sword/MODS/BUG Mod 3.5.1

Where do I move the BUG Mod folder exactly, so I can install 3.6 (which I assume will want to install its own My Games/Beyond The Sword/BUG Mod folder)?

Ah, did you have a previous version of BUG installed to the CustomAssets folder? I believe that the INI files inside the My Games/BTS/BUG Mod folder are the ones being used by BUG 3.5.1 right now. You can check this by looking at the modification dates of the INI files inside the folder and comparing them to those in "BUG Mod 3.5.1/BUG Mod".

When you install BUG 3.6, simply remove the BUG Mod folder inside it: "BUG Mod 3.6/BUG Mod". You may want to copy the .chm (help) files from it to the BUG Mod folder in My Games/BTS.

Yes, I know this is confusing. I will be renaming the "BUG Mod" folder (adding "Settings") in a future release. If you want to see where BUG is looking for INI files, open the BUG Options screen (ALT + CTRL + O) and select the System tab. Look at the Search Paths list. BUG starts at the top and looks for each INI file going down the list. Typically you would have them all in the same folder, but that's not required. It only lists paths that actually exist.

Ah, did you have a previous version of BUG installed to the CustomAssets folder? I believe that the INI files inside the My Games/BTS/BUG Mod folder are the ones being used by BUG 3.5.1 right now. You can check this by looking at the modification dates of the INI files inside the folder and comparing them to those in "BUG Mod 3.5.1/BUG Mod".

When you install BUG 3.6, simply remove the BUG Mod folder inside it: "BUG Mod 3.6/BUG Mod". You may want to copy the .chm (help) files from it to the BUG Mod folder in My Games/BTS.

Yes, I know this is confusing. I will be renaming the "BUG Mod" folder (adding "Settings") in a future release. If you want to see where BUG is looking for INI files, open the BUG Options screen (ALT + CTRL + O) and select the System tab. Look at the Search Paths list. BUG starts at the top and looks for each INI file going down the list. Typically you would have them all in the same folder, but that's not required. It only lists paths that actually exist.

So, in other words, the files in the BUG Mod folder are backwards compatible and can be shared between versions?

Thanks for the info, this will help a lot I think.

So, in other words, the files in the BUG Mod folder are backwards compatible and can be shared between versions?

So far, yes they are. :) I hope to keep that going forward, and I will post a big note everywhere if that ever changes.

Everything seems to work OK. I installed BUG 3.6, moved it to My Games/Beyond The Sword/MODS (I like to keep mods here as opposed to the main folder), and deleted the BUG 3.6/Assets/BUG Mod folder. Both versions seem to work OK with this setup. Thanks for your help!

Does BUG include any of the unofficial patches? I'm curious about getting into modding again and I'm still considering what to use as my starting point. Vanilla BtS is right out. FFH looks promising, but perhaps with some radical changes I can make the basic game appealing once more.

Why is this thread not stickied?

Does BUG include any of the unofficial patches?

It contains the Python fixes, and you can use the UP DLL with BUG. When I release the BUG DLL, I will have a version with the UP in it.

I'm curious about getting into modding again and I'm still considering what to use as my starting point.

Many other people have used BUG this way or merged BUG into their existing mods. I built the 3.0 version of BUG with an eye toward making this easier, especially if you are modding from scratch.

I'm working on a complete example to showcase the differences between the old style and the new style of handling events that BUG makes possible. The end goal is to show the simplest way to mod in BUG for people building new mods.

Why is this thread not stickied?

Done.

I'm playing Scenario Earth18Civ, BUG loads normally but not if i selected Locked Asset. Is it normal? BtS 3.17 + .19 + BUG 3.6 on Windows XP x64

I'm playing Scenario Earth18Civ, BUG loads normally but not if i selected Locked Asset. Is it normal? BtS 3.17 + .19 + BUG 3.6 on Windows XP x64
Totally - standard Civ4 - locked modified assets means that certain files in your customassets folder are not loaded (py, xml, etc). Other files (ie BlueMarble) are not affected (ie they load).

hi guysş

i started to use bug mode a little while ago..my question is, is there a way to start game directly under bug mode?

i mean when i start the game, i should choose load a mod or when i load game, civ needs to restart so i wanna i short cut to start directly in bug mode if it is possible

The latest installer (3.6) creates a shortcut in your Start menu if you leave the option checked. Otherwise you have to options.

1. Create your own shortcut. Copy the BTS shortcut, paste it somewhere, right-click it, select Properties. Now add

/mod="BUG Mod 3.6"​

to the end of the target. Not that the name inside the quotes must match the folder in your Mods folder exactly, and you need a space before the "/mod" part.

2. Make it so BTS loads BUG every time you launch it automatically. Edit the CivilizationIV.ini file with Notepad and change this line

Mod = 0​

to this

Mod = BUG Mod 3.6​

Again, the name must match the folder exactly.

Top Bottom