Has anyone won a non-domination victory?

With the demo, I think the only ways to win are domination and cultural and only then on the chieftan difficulty. Catapults move too slow I think for a warlord domination.

Add barracks+Great General(adds more experienced when settled in cities)=Catapault army with March,City Infilitration, and a variable(the former 2 seem to pop up the most for me atleast). If you can get pikeman, a leadership bonus is also a mainstay(100% defense if stationed with a another unit)+two other advanced promotion pikeman=domination.

Awww... I almost did the cultural today while I was trying a new strategy out. At 5 turns to go I unlocked the United Nations build (that would take 5 turns to complete in my big city).

Since I had turned off tech and was rolling in gold, I thought I would be able to rush buy it before the demo ended (or get credit for finishing it in 1250).

But rush buy apparently is not allowed for this wonder. So I didn't make it :(.

I have some ideas for an economic victory now. So dissappointed, I thought I had it.

I retried and made it this time with 4 turns to spare. The key is one uber-city (population 31 which is max that pumps out everything you need). I built every wonder in the locked tech tree except stonehenge because the egyptians had that and I also got the military-industrial complex thanks to atlantis giving me a few locked techs. (This was a cultural victory by the way).

I got two sister cities early that were devoted to nothing but pumping settlers into my capital. That was the basic idea of the strategy.

Oh yeah. I didn't quite pump my capital all the way up to 31. I pumped it to 20, built the hanging gardens to bump it to 30 instantly from there and then pumped one last settler into it.

After the settler pumps were done pumping settlers I revolted to democracy and started building temples and cathedrals in them.

Also (semi obvious) but once your capital hits around size 6 it doesn't work food tiles anymore. It just takes too long to grow at that point and it is much better for it to be working coastal/forests/in the city.

In the city workers get buff when you population is high by the way.

Economic is even easier than cultural with this idea of a super city. Research to currency while building a library and the colossus and pretending that you are going to do the pop 31 mega city cultural victory.

Except when you get to Currency, shut of research and switch to gold. Built the trade fair wonder, hanging gardens (to push you to pop 30 from 20) and a bank when you hit the economic milestone that gives you that for free.

Then just keep hitting end turn until you can build the World Bank.

I mismanaged the timing and still won with 3 turns to go. Could have been much quicker but I delayed the hanging gardens like an idiot.

Also, I guess it should have been obvious but you can't rush buy the World Bank either.

So both of those game ending wonders have to be built by hand.

I retried and made it this time with 4 turns to spare. The key is one uber-city (population 31 which is max that pumps out everything you need). I built every wonder in the locked tech tree except stonehenge because the egyptians had that and I also got the military-industrial complex thanks to atlantis giving me a few locked techs. (This was a cultural victory by the way).

I got two sister cities early that were devoted to nothing but pumping settlers into my capital. That was the basic idea of the strategy.

Oh. Interesting, you can build settlers in other cities and then dump them in your capital to up the population? Very nice plan. Now I have something else to experiment with in the demo.

What difficulty level were you playing ? Chieftain or Warlord? I assume you was playing Caesar since you start out with Republic.

Chieftain. I was more interested in getting the victory types done than challenging myself (warlord you don't get that starting warrior and your bonuses are halved which is huge).

This would work on warlord but you would take longer to set things up and probably could not finish by 1250 AD.

And yes Caesar was my leader of choice for republic and half price wonders (which is huge for cultural).

Chieftain. I was more interested in getting the victory types done than challenging myself (warlord you don't get that starting warrior and your bonuses are halved which is huge).

This would work on warlord but you would take longer to set things up and probably could not finish by 1250 AD.

And yes Caesar was my leader of choice for republic and half price wonders (which is huge for cultural).

Wow dude... you're crazy good. I'm really impressed that you could figure that out, even on Chieftain. The thing that worries me, though, for when I have the full game is this achievement...

"42. That We May Live in Peace
Win the game by year 1000 AD on King difficulty or higher.25 points"

If a genius like you is having to work to win on Chieftain/Warlord by 1250, I can't see how I would go about winning on King by 1000. How would you do this? Would the only option be an extremely well-played domination run?

I can't see how I would go about winning on King by 1000. How would you do this? Would the only option be an extremely well-played domination run?
That has to be domination as far as I can tell. Or perhaps there is some faster way to do culture or economic.

My demo domination win was at around 500 AD but again that was on Chieftain where I had +100% attack bonuses so Legions were still city busting perfectly fine at the end there with some help from spies.

That was also before I discovered the power of the mega city in this game though. So maybe with a little more focus on tech at the beginning and less on instant warfare, it won't be that bad.

I just won a Economic in 800 AD. Got the critical gold buildings up in my super city ASAP and then started spamming Caravans. The odd thing is I was producing almost enough for 2 caravans per turn, but it wasn't ever giving me two caravans per turn. So I thought it was jacking me out of my overflow.

Not true.

All that overflow was accumulating so that when I finally unlocked the World Bank it was a 1 turn build!

I don't think this is how overflow is meant to be working (I read somewhere that if you can produce two units in a turn you will). The natural corollary would be that if you can produce 3 units in 2 turns you will, not that you will produce 2 units and have 1 unit worth of overflow just sitting there accumulated. That was sick.

I hope it was a one-off glitch, and not a bug. But i bought the full game today and was the first to Alpha Centauri, yet the Romans arrived second and it claimed they won and i ranked 5th??

It was one the third difficulty level, and I had lost my capital when my ship was travelling there, only had two cities left but held on to them.

I hope it was a one-off glitch, and not a bug. But i bought the full game today and was the first to Alpha Centauri, yet the Romans arrived second and it claimed they won and i ranked 5th??

It was one the third difficulty level, and I had lost my capital when my ship was travelling there, only had two cities left but held on to them.

were you the first there or only he first to launch your ship? I believe the romans built a faster ship and arrived before you.

You must have a capital to win a space race victory. It doesn't necessarily have to be YOUR capital. :)

If you lose your capital during flight, muster every unit you have and either take it back, or march on your neighbor and take his.

I just won a Economic in 800 AD. Got the critical gold buildings up in my super city ASAP and then started spamming Caravans. The odd thing is I was producing almost enough for 2 caravans per turn, but it wasn't ever giving me two caravans per turn. So I thought it was jacking me out of my overflow.

Not true.

All that overflow was accumulating so that when I finally unlocked the World Bank it was a 1 turn build!

I don't think this is how overflow is meant to be working (I read somewhere that if you can produce two units in a turn you will). The natural corollary would be that if you can produce 3 units in 2 turns you will, not that you will produce 2 units and have 1 unit worth of overflow just sitting there accumulated. That was sick.

Now that you have this perfected, I would love to hear how a few tries at this on Warlord work.

I just cannot get myself to play at the high level you're playing at... I cannot seem to grasp how to balance production, research, gold, and growth to build this mega-city. What year was it when you got your capital up to size 31?

Now that you have this perfected, I would love to hear how a few tries at this on Warlord work.

I just cannot get myself to play at the high level you're playing at... I cannot seem to grasp how to balance production, research, gold, and growth to build this mega-city. What year was it when you got your capital up to size 31?
The goal is to have it done in the BCs which is doable if you are quick.

Keep in mind your mega city isn't working any growth tiles at all except at the very beginning of the game. Its job is production and trade except for at the very start. So never work a tile with apples on it there. I like to work 6 tiles and have the rest of the population working in the city. That guarantees that all the in city workers are producing at least one base trade thats goes through colossus multipliers then other multipliers.

I should try it on warlord I suppose. I've done better on the cultural now too finishing well before the 10 turn warning.

were you the first there or only he first to launch your ship? I believe the romans built a faster ship and arrived before you.

Nah, I arrived there first.

You must have a capital to win a space race victory. It doesn't necessarily have to be YOUR capital.

If you lose your capital during flight, muster every unit you have and either take it back, or march on your neighbor and take his.

Thanks, i think this covers it.

So you're saying if you have more production than required for 1 caravan, but less than 2 caravans, that the extra production will just build up more and more and more and u can build the world bank in 1 turn without anyone having a chance to stop you?

By the way, the most important tiles for you settler pumps are that they have two forests in the inner square. They also need one 2-food tile, but you regrow so fast between pop 1 and 2 if you keep yourself in that area. Grow your City up until one turn of growth from pop 3 then switch to 2 forests to finish the settler. When it completes you are magically already back at like 2 pop with half the food bar filled. So food is almost a non issue in these pumps as long as you keep at low population.

I wonder if your trick works in the full game like it does in the demo.

I think it probably is bugged in retail as well (i just received it and am reading the civilipedia whilst typing this ;) ) mostly because it seems the demo is the new build.

Top Bottom