Best map type?

'Some reason' is because how they are scripted; it's deliberately done this way by the map designers, and most people don't like it.
Your post was the final push I needed; I just wrote a small tutorial for how you can get your City States back to normal in Pangaea- and ContinentsPlus: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=11252161#post11252161.
I hope this helps people!

I just bought the Explorer's Pack yesterday because of this thread, and the first map I tried was Pangaea Plus, but I couldn't stand how everyone was packed on the same mainland with no city-states. I might have to try your edit of it.

Has anyone else tried it? Does it work better? Is it too crammed?

I believe the original PangaeaPlus and ContinentsPlus don't change the map size, and add a lot of islands without making the continents smaller, so they are a lot more spacious compared to normal Pangaea and Continents.
With this edit the available space is more back to normal.
Months ago I sent an edited file to a forum member who had asked for it, who was happy and said it worked. Only just today I uploaded that tutorial, maybe it would be a bit early to get reactions from that already.

I believe the original PangaeaPlus and ContinentsPlus don't change the map size, and add a lot of islands without making the continents smaller, so they are a lot more spacious compared to normal Pangaea and Continents.
With this edit the available space is more back to normal.
Months ago I sent an edited file to a forum member who had asked for it, who was happy and said it worked. Only just today I uploaded that tutorial, maybe it would be a bit early to get reactions from that already.

I'll give it a try after my current game and let you know how it goes.

I still find it rather bizarre that the developers would think that players want ALL of the city-states to start on islands off the main continent. Since my first cities were all landlocked, I still haven't met any city-states and it's roughly 1000AD. This would be a huge disadvantage for certain civs and styles of play if you're relying on city-states. Fortunately, I'm playing as Askia and I'm just conquering everyone so the city-states aren't that important in my current game.

Ai not competent? try immortal mode? England doesnt seem to have a problem showing up to my un-prepared cities with 15+ ships, and then me going oh %&^ where is my navy. (on contents too i might add to this memory i received yesterday)

if you want more competenet ai for your games
-harder difficulty, on immortal they seem pretty human like to me... well in difficulty
-put leaders who like water on like England and Kamehameha and Denmark
-side note ( i play Russia so doesnt count) always have Russia(for more uranium) and arabia for more oil

last thing to mention, ai not being competent?
go to a harder difficulty!!!
they may still be stupid in immortal mode but all the ai cheat codes help them keep up.

Ai not competent? try immortal mode? England doesnt seem to have a problem showing up to my un-prepared cities with 15+ ships, and then me going oh %&^ where is my navy. (on contents too i might add to this memory i received yesterday)

if you want more competenet ai for your games
-harder difficulty, on immortal they seem pretty human like to me... well in difficulty
-put leaders who like water on like England and Kamehameha and Denmark
-side note ( i play Russia so doesnt count) always have Russia(for more uranium) and arabia for more oil

last thing to mention, ai not being competent?
go to a harder difficulty!!!
they may still be stupid in immortal mode but all the ai cheat codes help them keep up.

I find the AI to be terrible with Water for the early-mid game unless they are specifically a water bonus faction like England or the Ottomans. Usually by the time you get to Destroyers and Battleships the AI can stomp you with any Faction if they are close by.

If they are far away the AI is TERRIBLE at controlling their ships. Last game playing Random-Islands Map Pedro declared war on my from halfway across the world. I destroyed his Two waves of invasion forces with 3 submarines by just focus firing on the few ships with sight and then wolf packing the rest. If you intercept AI ships far enough away from their destination...they just ignore you.

Like a dipsh-t Pedro sends more waves of ships and none of them ever break their assigned waypoints to search for me or defend the embarked land units. After I racked up like 3 promotions for each of my Subs he sued for peace.

Top Bottom